Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: Driving Miss Jenny

Louis worries that Grandma's new motorized wheelchair gives her too much freedom, so he makes it a point to keep a close eye on her. However, he quickly learns that his constant hovering is cramping her style. Meanwhile, Jessica fears that Emery's sentimental ways have turned him into a hoarder, and Eddie tries to hustle his way into Evan's already-successful side business.

I know lots of people who immigrate like to chose an English name that matches their Asian name and they use that name for the rest of their lives but never change it officially in their documents. Probably what grandma did. 

• Love 2

It's pretty common. I know several people (not just Asian immigrants) who have done so. Only a handful of them chose to legally change their names. Some of them picked American names because it was easier than having the same five minute long conversation every time they met a new person where they had to repeat their name a million times and it got butchered anyway.

Hi, I'm _____.
Sorry, your name is Bcjeapoinewuihjk?
No, my name is _______.
Oh, okay. Rcemkwlaakjwe.
No, ________.
Gcekmmwoop?
No, ________.
Krblekpatshkleb?
You can call me John.

Some people choose names that are similar to their original names. Other people I know chose completely different names that weren't even close. A boy in my eighth grade class was named Kae (pronounced Kay, so not too difficult). I'd known him as Kae since I met him in sixth grade but in eighth grade he legally changed his name to Austin so our teacher let him make an announcement about it so he wouldn't have to explain it over and over.

I know I'm supposed to find it sweet that Louis was being overprotective of his mom leaving the house on her own, but I was like dude, she's an adult so let her be independent!

Emery being a sentimental hoarder seemed to come from out of the blue. The room he shares with Evan seems so neat and tidy that I was having a hard time imagining where he's been keeping all that crap. I liked Jessica's compromise though. Photos take up a lot less room than the actual junk he was keeping. I loved that in the revised flash forward, old grandpa Emery had piles of photo albums everywhere.

• Love 3

Jenny is a total winner and I can't believe we've gone this long without a real look into who she is and her relationship with Louis. I love that she wants her independence and is brave enough to know that if something goes wrong she's capable of righting it with a bit of help. I also thought it said a lot about her that she was able to so clearly articulate how being housebound has hurt her and how exciting her new chair is for her life. And I love that she complimented Louis at the end. It says that even though she called him out for being wrong, she understood completely where his concern was coming from and appreciates it.

The housesitting plot was pretty good. I have no problem believing that Evan would run an amazing business and Eddie would try to take advantage of it. I like that in the end, Evan agreed with Eddie's lesson but found a way to win all the same. Good for Evan and his detailed orchid reports!

Emery's hoarding makes no sense to me. First off, collecting that much stuff takes room and Emery has never been shown to have "stuff" in his room. Plus, no way Evan would be cool with empty soda cans in their shared space. I guess the solution was okay, but still strange as Emery was still fetishizing stuff rather than memories. I do get that moving can be hard on a kid so I do buy his anxiety but I think this is the sort of plot that comes out of nowhere and is totally forgotten by the next episode.

• Love 3

I love the Louis has apparently called the cops so many times about Eddie that they know who his is and what he's usually calling about.

It seems like this is one of the first times we`ve gotten an episode about Louis and his mom, and I really liked it. He meant well, but she is an adult who can handle herself.

• Love 4

I didn't think this one was particularly hilarious, but I really liked it. I liked seeing that Evan has a good business going. I liked the whole thing about Emery and his collecting of stuff. I don't really care that we didn't get an inkling of that before. The best part was his explanation for why he was doing it. I also focused on what good actors Ian Chen (Evan) and Forrest Wheeler (Emery) are, particularly Ian. 

I liked Jenny's story line, too. Heck, I just like Jenny, and I enjoy listening to her speak. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

cops so many times about Eddie that they know who his is and what he's usually calling about.

Well they are friends ever since he told Louis that his brother in laws Miata was used in season 1.

• Love 4
On 4/12/2017 at 2:29 AM, Silly Angel said:

Those looked like real mah jongg hands. Grandma had a an obscure but high-point variation with those odd-numbered ball tiles. Well done, show.

I think this show does a good job with "authenticity" when it comes to cultural and period stuff.

Evan running a neighborhood business actually makes sense considering he pretty much runs the neighborhood board so he has all the connections and all the mothers trust and love him.  Of course Eddie was going to look for the easy way out, and he forgot that the rappers who have others write their lyrics, have a talent or indispensable niche of their own making them a necessary "middle-man".  Good on Evan just going straight to David, but poor David getting shafted with only $2 versus $5 that Eddie was getting paid.  Wonder if Evan was nice enough to pay him more out of the gate.

• Love 2

Another great episode! This is right up there as one of my favourite shows. 

I got a real kick out of seeing Grandpa Emery. Loved that they did all the make up on him!

The Evan and Eddie plot was hilarious and so true to their characters. I knew Evan was going to best Eddie eventually!

Louis and Grandma's plot was really sweet and heartwarming. I LOVED everything about that storyline. It amused me and gave me the warm and fuzzies all at the same time. Loved learning more about how Grandma spent her days. What a full life she has! The end with Louis driving slowly and cranking the music was just so sweet. 

• Love 2
On 4/9/2017 at 1:35 AM, Vyk said:

So Jenny actually is Grandma's name?  I thought it was just an alias she chose.  Huh.  Imagine that.

When was this established?

Just now, Tiger said:

When was this established?

The episode in which Evan started his bank account.  During the closing credits, Grandma, during her early days in America, went to a library to steal a Garfield back under the guise of checking it out.  When asked for a name to put on her library card, she gave the name Jenny.  I'd thought it was an alias, at first, so she could steal the book.  But apparently, she really did choose that as her American name.

• Love 1

I love Jenny. I hope this isn't the only time they do an episode that focuses on her.

I wish I had a housesitter like Evan! I think it would make it a lot easier for people to go away if they had someone that conscientious! I like that Eddie's friend was also a good worker. Not all kids are irresponsible.

What I liked about Emery's story was that Jessica actually listened and came up with a compromise, instead of just being harsh with him. They have made her much sweeter this season and I like it. She's still tough, and strong, but she's warmer at the same time, and I think it has added depth to all the relationships now that there's more give and take. She listens to Louis, too, now, in a way that she didn't used to.

• Love 3

I'm catching up on last season, and this was one of the best episodes in a long time, since it seemed to actually go into new territory.  I liked seeing the grandma out and about.  I wish she'd learn English though.  She was pretty funny on "Desperate Housewives".  I liked the Emery plot since it went a little deeper and he usually doesn't have scenes with Jessica.  The plot with Evan and the business was pretty funny.  

• Love 1