Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Mecca & Tanner

So is this what we're doing all season? Giving local businesses a tv appearance boost while wrapping a repetitive catfish narrative around it? It's not looking all that casual anymore. I feel used :(

• Love 1

I really do not understand how people can have a relationship by texting or email & consider themselves to be a dating couple. How do you date someone you've never been in the same room with? 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, GaT said:

I really do not understand how people can have a relationship by texting or email & consider themselves to be a dating couple. How do you date someone you've never been in the same room with? 

Yes, there's that. Also how do you "date" someone who will only Facetime with you while hiding under a large hoodie as they barely emerge from a shadowy corner? I really wanted to throw something at my screen tonight.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't really watch this show that often, but I agree with you. I have a friend who played an MMO (online video game) with me for a while. During the time she played, I know of three different online "boyfriends" she had. At one point, she actually had two of them fighting over her. She didn't instigate this, except of course by how she interacted with each of them. (She supposedly had "broken up with" one of them, but always seemed flirty with him whenever I was grouped with the two of them. So, mixed signals, IMO, and men never successfully sort those out.) She's got an online boyfriend now; she's in the UK and he's in NC. She's been to see him twice, now. So, better than before, but still...

• Love 1

Brownwood is not "in the Dallas area" evenly remotely. I've been there exactly once (to take my son on a campus visit to a small, private Baptist college recruiting him for baseball). It took a solid 2+ hours from Austin along some serious country roads. We had zero data or even 3G service in any part of the town (I can only assume no one living there or attending college has Verizon) to the point that when we walked into a Subway with wifi we rejoiced. We piddled away time at the "mall" which was basically a sporting goods store on one end, a JC Penney's on the other and a mix of empty storefronts and mom & pop stores in between. The nearest city is Abilene. I feel pretty certain that it is NOT a place where an LBGTQ person would feel comfortable expressing themselves.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, LucyHoneychrrch said:

Mecca is eighteen kinds of terrible, and I hope she's ashamed of this someday.

Mecca was the one who got catfished, Tanner was the chronic liar.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, swanjun said:

Mecca was the rampant homophobe.

Or had the very real concern about being mistakenly victimized by those who are because of what Taylor did.

From the recap:

Not to rank on Heather more than I need to, but: in addition to getting the food truck on camera, Mecca also wheedles a plane ticket for Heather to come on this trip, even though she subsequently doesn't show up for any part of the filming with Ryan/Tanner.

In fairness to Heather, she may have wanted to be there for support if Mecca needed it, or concerned that this would be one of the episodes with a positive outcome, and didn't want Mecca to be another woman who jumped into bed with her Catfish, or did something really crazy, like Solana with her tattoo.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, swanjun said:

say what??? How did you come to that conclusion?? 

It seemed like at the end she wanted to be friends with Taylor but Taylor just flaked and never talked to her again. 

• Love 9

This is awful, but all I could think about while watching this episode was: please stop shooting Mecca's face from that angle :-/.

Just now, kitten59 said:

This is awful, but all I could think about while watching this episode was: please stop shooting Mecca's face from that angle (from the chins up) :-/.

• Love 2
On 4/7/2017 at 8:48 AM, swanjun said:

I didn't see Mecca as a homophobe.  She was just a straight woman who was understandably concerned about being lied to and portrayed as something she's not online.  Taylor didn't want to use her profile to come out as gay so I can imagine that Mecca also wouldn't want to be portrayed as such.  All of the reasons that Taylor didn't want to use her own profile on those groups should also apply to Mecca, the person whose profile she wrongfully hijacked.  Not being LGBTQ or not wanting to be falsely portrayed as something that you aren't online =/= homophobia.

• Love 13

Ditto on the "worried about Taylor" front. This ep gave me a lot of complicated feels, but to point to just one set of them - it really felt kinda sleazy and gross to coerce her out and onto camera when it was very obvious that she wasn't ready to be out about her sexuality publicly. Yes, she signed a release so it's her own "fault" or choice, but what we saw felt very coercive, no doubt the pressure was even higher behind the scenes/unedited . I would bet the production assured her that being on the show would be the best thing for her and rah rah rah gay pride - but it seems likely that things didn't turn out that well for her, given her affect on the show and her refusal to do any follow up. She probably doesn't fit very neartly into their "revealing yourself one Catfish will make your whole life better" narrative, and that's highly inconvenient for them. I would not be surprised if she withdrew from Mecca and production because the whole thing was kinda traumatizing for her. Of course, she shouldn't have deceived Mecca or used her profile, but that doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to come out on her own time without mountains of coercion. I was kinda surprised iO didn't express any ambivalence about this (that they showed anyway).

• Love 3
On 4/7/2017 at 9:48 AM, swanjun said:

How? She was a victim here and acted accordingly. She was lied to for three years, had her identity stolen on Facebook and lied to by someone who claimed people in their family died EVERY WEEK. Then lied to about the catfish's friends committing suicide. That's sick. I ask you if this person was not gay and still did the things that they did, would you jump to their defense?

On 4/9/2017 at 5:54 AM, Spencer Hastings said:

I didn't see Mecca as a homophobe.  She was just a straight woman who was understandably concerned about being lied to and portrayed as something she's not online.  Taylor didn't want to use her profile to come out as gay so I can imagine that Mecca also wouldn't want to be portrayed as such.  All of the reasons that Taylor didn't want to use her own profile on those groups should also apply to Mecca, the person whose profile she wrongfully hijacked.  Not being LGBTQ or not wanting to be falsely portrayed as something that you aren't online =/= homophobia.

Thank you!

• Love 6