Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Steven and Justin's Story, Part 1

• Start Topic

I feel as if I just wasted 2 hours of my life watching this episode.  There is absolutely nothing likeable, rootable or redeemable about this guy, Steven.  I'm literally shaking my head, wondering "what the hell did I just watch?" And after the likes of James K. and Nicole, that speaks volumes! 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, 55Unicorns said:

IF that poor kid gets some therapy for that extreme social anxiety first...someone mentioned upthread if there was more than verbal abuse from Steven when they were young, and I might have to agree...if you get my drift.

I couldn't agree more! As I was watching the show I mentioned to my husband that there's definitely more to that family's story. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with an alcoholic parent and I'm sure, the emotional implications last a lifetime for a child, BUT, there was something off with his relationship with Justin. My heart broke when watching Justin because you could just feel that he was broken down. Steven Sr is honestly the biggest problem in that home. Classic enabling, co-dependent relationship.  

We need to start a 'Free Justin' Go Fund Me and ship him to another country. Steven's too big to fly and even if he could, he would say something to piss off someone and would be thrown out the emergency exit. I mean booted off the plane. Just wishful thinking!

• Love 8

Mom:  "What a bastard! He won't let his poor father have some pizza? ... Look at him. He's disgusting! Does he WANT to die?"

Poor mom, she may need a Xanax after this...

Edited by Anchorabu
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Anchorabu said:

Mom:  "What bastard! He won't let his poor father have some pizza? ... Look at him. He's disgusting! Does he WANT to die?"

Poor mom, she may need a Xanax after this...

I need one after this...

Look at how little Dr. Now looks in that car...

• Love 5
22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I don't think I've ever seen a convoy delivering a patient to the clinic in Houston. Mercy sakes alive.

How did that come about, did Rhode Island pay for it?  If they explained, I missed it.
I'd have thought they could and would warn all the hospitals around of his trying to get drugs.  It's not there there would be a lot of 700+ pound men in gowns showing up.
I was concerned about Princess, because he might turn vicious and killer her in one of his rages.

• Love 3
Just now, auntjess said:

How did that come about, did Rhode Island pay for it?  If they explained, I missed it.
I'd have thought they could and would warn all the hospitals around of his trying to get drugs.  It's not there there would be a lot of 700+ pound men in gowns showing up.
I was concerned about Princess, because he might turn vicious and killer her in one of his rages.

Damn...now you have me worried about her...

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Anchorabu said:

OMG was that poop on his bed pad? That he's just casually lying on?

Yes, it was! Even a dog knows not to lay in their own poop, because you know, it's gross. Evidently, Steven did not get that memo. 

• Love 2

The toenail and green moss leg.    I was lucky to miss it last night.   My cat was looking at me like what the fuck?  I was groaning, no no no.

Why am I watching it again?

Candy Finnegan, I need help.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Ivylady said:

Also, someone is lying about something. These two are too emotionally stunted to be damaged just from having an abusive alcoholic mother. I feel like we're missing important pieces of the puzzle. 

I wonder if 1/ the both suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome, or whatever the term is, and 2/ Dad is acting from guilt, because he left them with mom way too long.
And before Justin gets a "career," how about a job?  Unless he plans to be a professional video game tester, I can't think of what he'd be qualified for.

18 hours ago, swankie said:

But since Justin is pretty mobile and doesn't seem to have any disability other than being overweight, I don't see why he doesn't get his own place and leave Steven and his dad to their own dysfunction

12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

He may very well have been taking a cab, though.

Would he fit?  He must have some money, but I'd think if he could fit in a cab,  Princess would have called one to take him to Dr. Now.

• Love 1

I actually felt sorry for Steven :-/  The scene where he had pulled all his hair out really made me feel some empathy for him.  As loathesome as he is as a person, he's obviously suffering.  A happy person doesn't systematically pull their hair out like that.  I also wondered how much his boredom must affect his mental health.  He needed something to do with his time besides stare at a tablet screen.  He is obviously depressed, addicted to drugs, and flirting with suicide.  He probably wants to die as much as everyone else wants him to die.  I agree with Dr Now's assessment that the best thing for this man is drug addiction treatment, along with a generous dose of psychiatric medication.  The man is obviously mentally ill.  I feel like treating his obesity without addressing his serious mental health problems would be like trying to treat the symptom without getting to the root of the problem.

I thought the family dynamics were really bizarre.  Both sons were emotionally/mentally (???) stunted.  The father struck me as having a low IQ.  The younger son actually made me wonder if he had Aspergers (which can lead to child-like behavior).  There was just something really odd about the whole family.  Low IQ/drug or alcohol abuse/mental illness.....just a trifecta that spells disaster. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Kid said:

he felt that he needed to ASK for a piece!  He should've just opened the box when he came in the door, took a slice, then handed it to the pig.

Maybe, just maybe, those really aren't Steven's dad's real hands anymore.  Maybe Steven actually bit off the hands that fed him and Dad can't afford new replacements again.

• Love 5

This is the stuff of episodes of Forensics Files.  This is the stuff of the creepiest of Dateline NBC episodes.  I am sure it will show up in my nightmares.

This is the full "pie" video.  I will warn you: it is profoundly disturbing.

1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Sorry to follow up my own post with another post, but YES.  This person is a sociopath and I think his mental illness is profound enough that if he could kill, he would kill.  He has already nearly destrotyed his younger brother.  I was very concerned for Princess' safety and I hope she is very careful in her dealings with him.

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

This is the stuff of episodes of Forensics Files.  This is the stuff of the creepiest of Dateline NBC episodes.  I am sure it will show up in my nightmares.

I noped out with a quickness.  It made me extremely uncomfortable and it's too close to my bedtime.  It's nightmarish, you're absolutely correct about that.  

• Love 4

Smearing that shit all over his probably quite filthy body and then licking his hands made me almost retch. Did you notice the drool dripping from his mouth at the end? Vile.

This is something a 2 year old would do when sitting in front of a mirror, making up nonsense noises and tuneless songs, mugging at themselves. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

What's more profoundly disturbing are his perfectly formed lady boobs. Bitch needs to put a bra on those things.

I rematched again tonight and one of the pop ups said he was constantly photographing the nurses with his tablet. Had I been one of those nurses, I would have waited until he was asleep, taken that fucking tablet and submerged in the toilet. 

Then would have dried it off and returned it to its original space. 

1 minute ago, gardendiva said:

I will spell out what I have been coyly dancing around in previous posts. It is nothing but an intuitive guess, but I suspect that Steven may have sexually abused his younger brother. In his world, he had nobody else that he could dominate and control but Justin, and that kind of act is not about sexuality but about control, power and dominance.

Regular physical abuse doesn't really explain the absolute recoil that Justin exhibits when he is around Steven, and their 6 year age gap makes this seem even more likely. I hope I am wrong.

I hope we're both wrong then. 

1 minute ago, Giant Misfit said:

What's more profoundly disturbing are his perfectly formed lady boobs. Bitch needs to put a bra on those things.

I rematched again tonight and one of the pop ups said he was constantly photographing the nurses with his tablet. Had I been one of those nurses, I would have waited until he was asleep, taken that fucking tablet and submerged in the toilet. 

Nice tablet he had wasn't it?  Be a shame if his urinal was accidentally spilled on it, wouldn't it?  Test me perv, just test me. -_-

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Or maybe I would have forgotten to sanitize something that I had used on a person suffering from norovirus...

• Love 5

Regular physical abuse doesn't really explain the absolute recoil that Justin exhibits when he is around Steven, and their 6 year age gap makes this seem even more likely. I hope I am wrong.

The level of rage from Justin convinced me that Steven has sexually assaulted him, big time. Dad knows what happened but being the gutless wonder he is, he's never stepped in to stop it. It's a small wonder that Justin hasn't killed Steven (and Dad).

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

Oh my!  He is definitely psychotic, a sociopath, and a pervert. I half expected to see Chris Hanson from "To Catch a Predator" come looming out of the woodwork. And the pic of Marilyn Monroe in the background he made sure was in frame just adds to the creepiness.  If Steven loses enough weight to be ambulatory, God help us. 

Be afraid, be very afraid... 

16 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

I will spell out what I have been coyly dancing around in previous posts. It is nothing but an intuitive guess, but I suspect that Steven may have sexually abused his younger brother. In his world, he had nobody else that he could dominate and control but Justin, and that kind of act is not about sexuality but about control, power and dominance.

Good God I think you're right ...

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

t is nothing but an intuitive guess, but I suspect that Steven may have sexually abused his younger brother.

Yes.  I suggested the same in the earliest pages of this thread and, upon rewatch, I am more and more convinced that we are right.

Steven is a deviant in more ways than one.  I don't think he can emote the way "regular" people do.  He tries.  When he doesn't get what he wants, he turns on the waterworks.  He tried very hard to cry when saying goodbye to his father and brother at the hospital.  Steven is constantly wearing some sort of mask.  There seems to be nothing good behind that mask.  In fact, I find Steven to be evil.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, hnygrl said:

I remember learning early to never ever cry

In our house the favorite phrase was "if you don't stop crying I'll GIVE you something to really cry about."  It usually just made my sister cry more.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 55Unicorns said:

Damn...now you have me worried about her...

Yes, when she was doing something, and with arm's reach, I thought wow, if he grabbed her, she'd have no chance.
I was serious when I said he's more like the people on Evil Lives Here, or Monster In My Family.
Some of them abuse siblings when they have the chance.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Yes, when she was doing something, and with arm's reach, I thought wow, if he grabbed her, she'd have no chance.
I was serious when I said he's more like the people on Evil Lives Here, or Monster In My Family.
Some of them abuse siblings when they have the chance.

I'd punch him in that barnacled pier piling of a leg if he did something like that to me.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

t is nothing but an intuitive guess, but I suspect that Steven may have sexually abused his younger brother.

42 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

I was thinking the same thing. Or perhaps one of the mother's many boyfriends had not only beaten them but might have sexually assaulted them. Since she was an alcoholic her choice of boyfriends probably weren't the most upstanding citizens.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Anchorabu said:

OMG was that poop on his bed pad? That he's just casually lying on?

More then likely he has some elements of dissociation.  This man is horrible, but I do feel he was made this way by the treatment he received from his parents as a small child.  He then turned around and started abusing Justin.  Justin himself exhibits some form of dissociation also.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

will spell out what I have been coyly dancing around in previous posts. It is nothing but an intuitive guess, but I suspect that Steven may have sexually abused his younger brother. In his world, he had nobody else that he could dominate and control but Justin, and that kind of act is not about sexuality but about control, power and dominance.

Gardendiva, do you also suspect that the root of Steven's own behavior could also have been sexual abuse from an adult?  This person is extremely vile, but I swear this is not the sort of behavior someone is born with.  This is nurture rather then nature.  I think he needs serious mental help but his walls are so high and so thick NO ONE will ever be able to break them to get in and figure out what causes his behavior, plus he loves this attention he is getting on some level, why get better and have to live like a normal person.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, mamadrama said:

He may very well have been taking a cab, though. I could totally see him huffing it out to the sidewalk if it meant more pain meds. 

Could he even fit in a cab?  I don't think a cab driver would take him anywhere when he's only dressed in a hospital gown.  I know I wouldn't if I was a cab driver.  His bare ass isn't touching my seats.  No way!  And I'm not going to try to heave his big ass into the back of my car by myself.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bubbly said:
1 hour ago, bethster2000 said:

If we are all terrified by this video, can you even imagine how Justin must have felt?!?! As a young boy, who was left alone night after night, with this insane creature?!?! He had to be frightened out of his mind, which would give Steven great joy and reason to continue and escalate! Justin lived in hell on Earth most certainly! He had to feel liberated when they left Houston without Steven.

Justin may not have stayed to follow Dr. Now's diet plan but he didn't need to really...he lost 800 pounds instantaneously! 

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

Gardendiva, do you also suspect that the root of Steven's own behavior could also have been sexual abuse from an adult?  This person is extremely vile, but I swear this is not the sort of behavior someone is born with.  This is nurture rather then nature.  I think he needs serious mental help but his walls are so high and so thick NO ONE will ever be able to break them to get in and figure out what causes his behavior, plus he loves this attention he is getting on some level, why get better and have to live like a normal person.

I'm not who you asked but I strongly suspect you're correct - I hate armchair diagnosing and without a full history and assessment I really couldn't and wouldn't say anything definitively but were this a case study or something in a text book or on a test...i absolutely see signs pointing towards heavy abuse and very possibly that of a sexual nature. For one, we know based on every other episode of this show that obesity and eating disorders are very commonly found in adult survivors of sexual trauma. As is addiction. But we also see this real lack of appropriate boundaries with him. And this intense manipulation he uses to control everyone and everything around him. All of his relationships are under his control - including food, somewhat counterintuitively. I know that seems out of control and it is in a way. But in his mind, his emotional state is controlled by eating and eating can be controlled by him because it is an action he takes. Anyway...I'm getting really too far into this. I really don't have enough information to be making these statements so positively but this is my inclination after working in this field for several years.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, bubbly said:

I can't handle watching part two of this next week.  This has broken me and I won't watch again - it's just too much and life is too short.  I feel depressed and creeped out and almost dirty now.

From seeing previews of next weeks episode there's no way I'm going to miss it. 

Spoiler

Just to see Steven bounce off of the back of that cart will make it worthwhile.

And I'm going to make sure I record it so I can see it over and over.  Lol! 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, scoopski potata said:

I hate armchair diagnosing

I totally agree with you, this is just extreme supposition on everyone's part here.  None of us will ever really know what has occurred with any of the individuals involved in the situation shown the other night.  I do believe this is to some degree a contrived reality show that in the long run does more damage than good for some of the participants.  And I am truly concerned that Steven is working with Dr. Now and others at cross purposes to what he really needs, which is help for his damaged psyche before he can truly utilize the help being offered for his eating habit.  Unfortunately, Steven seems to want to demonstrate the more dangerous aspects of that damage he received then to simply ask for help.  Heck, he may not even realize that he is damaged.  That he is also damaging other people.  My husband, himself a damaged individual, once said to me "I just want others to hurt as much as I do."  This may indeed be Steven's motivation.

(Damn, there were a lot of damages in there, weren't there).

• Love 2

The hair pulling and drug abuse, plus the fact that he can walk just chooses not to = looney bin (official medical diagnosis).

He's visibly gaining more weight while at home in a bare apartment.  Ugh.

What's most annoying about the episode is the overly fake voiceovers.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

So--is there any doubt that Steven spends a good part of the day trolling? He is the quintessential 800 pound guy sitting in bed with a laptop, spewing hate and rage all over the internet.

Yes, and that is what I said upthread-I finally have a face to put with the trolls.

My LEAST favorite part was the way he ordered Dr. Now to shake his hand, the limp and royal fingers he offered, the sneer he had while doing it, and Now's obvious discomfort. I just wanted him to step back and say "no thank you."

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Dru Blood said:

Oh yes. "Shit rolls downhill", as they say. My guess is one of drunk mom's boyfriends probably did it to Steven first, and Steven then did it to Justin.

Edited by gardendiva
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

In regards to the RV transport...I think every hospital in Rhode Island got together and pulled their money to have him shipped out.

A gofund me for a one-way trip to Texas?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Diamond Dog said:

King of Shitba

Dear Lord, you've got me laughing long and loud! I just accidentally woke my husband but it couldn't be helped...you nailed it! If this isn't his TRUE moniker, I don't know what is!

• Love 4

Disgusting waste of a lot of space.

His father was thousands of miles away and still enabled him!

I don't know why he didn't block his number.

Loved how Dr. Now really let him have it. He doesn't put up with any shit.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Dru Blood said:

I have been meaning to point out that this show had to be filmed a couple of years ago.  The next episode is the next year in these two dysfunctional idiots lives.  The show had to have started filming in 2015 possibly.

Reasons I feel this way?  Dr. Now was treating Steven in that glass high rise hospital from past seasons.  I think it's called Foundation Surgical Hospital?  He was treating Nicole and James K. at St. Luke's.  If you want to say this show has gone to hell in a hand basket this year, you would be inaccurate.  It went to HIaH 2 years ago.  Earlier this season when I noticed the different hospital, I figured he had lost practice privileges either due to the high cost of treating these individuals (heck, maybe it was Steven who lost him the privileges) OR the hospital didn't want to take on the high risk of the the patient's dying any longer.

I'm fully aware of the time lag between production and airing.  But all we viewers have to judge by is what airs, and the episodes that aired didn't start getting trashy and stupid until THIS year.

• Love 4