Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: The Art Show

• Start Topic

“We’ll form an old-lady gang.  We’re creaky, but tough.  We’re forgetful, but fierce.  Gravity may be no friend of ours, but that doesn’t mean our bottom line will bottom out.”

Grace in Count Drinkula pose staring at the painting was a great shot.

“He is with you?  But he’s so nice.”
“Thank you, Mom.”
“Any time, darling; you’ve always been like a daughter to me.”

I want very badly to cut (or at least comb) Barry’s hair and shave his face.

I snorted my own drink (water, sadly) out my nose when they started playing the drinking game about Bud’s girlfriend.  “I have to pee; do you have my special soap?” was my favorite.

“This didn’t come from a box of martinis you got me four years ago?”  It’s telling that Robert didn’t know Grace was lying; it was pretty obvious, and especially should have been to her husband of forty years, but he doesn’t even know her that well.  Yet he still steps in to humiliate the so-called friends who were talking shit about her, and encourages her, saying it took a few tries with the last business, too.

Sol is so selfish, at least in one specific way.  He does something to anger or hurt someone else, and then he feels bad (genuinely, because “this fucking guy” is not a bad guy, but instead very well intentioned), so he feels entitled to force his presence upon them, or lay some information on them, despite their wishes or what’s best for them, because he can’t stand feeling bad any more.  He does truly regret the damage he causes to those he loves, but he prioritizes his own pain over theirs by basically demanding forgiveness.  It doesn't work that way.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14

Loved the art show!  The "Bud's girlfriend" drinking game, Jacob and Robert trying to head Sol off at the pass, & Kenny Loggins showing up!  Dead at that.

I really liked Frankie telling Brianna that it'd take more than yarn to fix their relationship and Robert recognizing that the art show wasn't the place to fix his relationship with Grace or Sol's with Frankie.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Oh, Frankie and her poncho-making ways. It's good to have everyone back. All the kids were even there!

What does it mean if I like Frankie's art?

I don't know, but except for vampire Grace, and the mustard painting, I liked it too. And I don't generally like that style.

• Love 1

I thought Sol was being self-involved again explaining the mustard painting, but as usual, he knows Frankie very well.

I enjoyed the way the woman who bought Frankie's painting was styled. It was perfect "plus size senior citizen by J.C. Penney" including the ugly polyester print and necklace attached as part of the blouse.

• Love 4

I loved the art show, drinking game being the highlight.  The grown kids, when all together, are some of the best scenes in this series.  

I loved what Frankie was wearing!  I like all of her clothes and bought a couple of things I found from the first two seasons. The stylist on this show does a good job.  Getting someone to knit that poncho was perfect.  Grace's style has changed a bit, too, which is good. 

• Love 3

Loved that Kenny Loggins showed up. Not to hate on the guy, but last season's subplot is probably the most publicity he's gotten in decades. He owed it to the show to show up (admittedly I'm a millennial and don't pay attention to him). He may have a future in sitcoms, because "What the fuck?" was hysterical.

I love all the callbacks from the previous season, particularly the "pity poncho" or whatever it was. It's nice when comedies acknowledge previous episodes and subplots.

So Bud is still not going to be getting a storyline, then? I was hoping this girlfriend would be taken more seriously, but instead she was played almost exclusively as a punchline. I was hoping for more of the Barry treatment for this girl - funny, but taken seriously by the other kids and the show.

Seems clear Mallory may be headed for divorce, but I can't bring myself to care. She's probably the least-developed of the four so maybe we can get more of her.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Seems clear Mallory may be headed for divorce, but I can't bring myself to care. She's probably the least-developed of the four so maybe we can get more of her.

I agree. Unfortunately she's stuck in the mother wasteland - which isn't to say there aren't plenty of interesting women who have small children, but this show doesn't revolve around children. I've never felt that the actress pops on the screen, while the other three did immediately. So I'm not sure what the issue is with my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of her character. The absent husband (was the actor fired, I wonder), wasn't too engaging either.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Loved that Kenny Loggins showed up. Not to hate on the guy, but last season's subplot is probably the most publicity he's gotten in decades. He owed it to the show to show up (admittedly I'm a millennial and don't pay attention to him).

I'm a baby boomer and I don't pay attention to him either, never did.  :^) 

23 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I agree and it baffles me how her having 4 kids could possibly add to the plot line.  After the divorce there is little direction her character could take.  The grown kids are peripheral but still supply some enjoyable moments.  Small kids on any show just bring it down.   There must be a plot line plan where her having 4 kids is necessary.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The absent husband (was the actor fired, I wonder), wasn't too engaging either.

I tend to pay attention to Geoff Stults - a lot. He's got great comedic timing just check out 'Enlisted'.  I still wonder why they show did not give him more to do in season 1, he got stuck with the most boring character of them all.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, chitowngirl said:

Why, why did Barry grow the beard and mustache?

I know!  I didn't like that and I too just wanted to comb his hair.

Sol is so selfish, at least in one specific way.  He does something to anger or hurt someone else, and then he feels bad (genuinely, because “this fucking guy” is not a bad guy, but instead very well intentioned), so he feels entitled to force his presence upon them, or lay some information on them, despite their wishes or what’s best for them, because he can’t stand feeling bad any more.  He does truly regret the damage he causes to those he loves, but he prioritizes his own pain over theirs by basically demanding forgiveness.  It doesn't work that way

Sol makes me crazy! The oversharing of feelings and general saying too much nfo about a certain topic makes me nuts. I keep thinking, would you just shut up, stop saying these things.  He's a sweet guy and I get that's his personality but it does drive me crazy sometimes.....ok...all the time.

That painting of Hitler's circumcision still cracks me up.  I believe we've seen it in the first or second season(can't remember) so that was a fun call back.  Does anyone know which ep we first see it in Frankie's studio?

• Love 5
20 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I know her story  line was underdeveloped and she isn't too likable but as a mom of 3, I don't like the "I can't handle this" stuff, the drinking, setting her sister up with guys she drools over, talking about her kid pooping and having to go home while whining about husband. This might be realistic, the "dumb husband" for some, but there is no realistic talk about working it out and drinking until you're sloshed and then going home, just rubs me the wrong way. I know it's just for entertainment but just like I didn't like Grace drinking and driving and taking pills with liquor last season, I'll compartmentalize it and enjoy the rest.

I did love the art show and how it ended, with the woman who like myself can " just look" most of the time, got a nice painting and Frankie got a sale. ; )

This is the real artist : http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/grace-and-frankie-season-3-lily-tomlin-paintings-1202014977/

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
(edited)

Oh my word! I just assumed the art directors or someone had whipped up those paintings -- surely the one of Grace with the martini was made for the show? And the ceramic penis fountain.

Looking at Nancy Rosen's other work, I really do like her style. I'd totally buy some ... prints of them. I'm not in the original art-buying tax bracket.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 2
On 3/25/2017 at 5:48 AM, EarlGreyTea said:

So Bud is still not going to be getting a storyline, then? I was hoping this girlfriend would be taken more seriously, but instead she was played almost exclusively as a punchline. I was hoping for more of the Barry treatment for this girl - funny, but taken seriously by the other kids and the show.

I think they're setting Bud up to run the law firm. He may not get a storyline, but brother-man is about to get PAID!!!! You go BUD!!! But seriously, that girl...Bud has this thing for needy chicks...wonder where he got that from *cough MOMMY cough*?

I was right there with Barry when he walked away from Brianna. He was right. He's all in love, wanting forever, and he's so freaking cute it's painful, and she's...what...? Sad. Really sad cause I thought they made a really cute couple.

Holy CRAP those paintings!!! So beautiful...I honestly wanted to buy a couple. I love that artist's work for real.

I'm really trying to pace myself so that I don't watch all 13 episodes in a shot and it's over...so far, I managed to quit at 4...5 and 6 coming up today!

Edited by hnygrl
more to say!
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, hnygrl said:

I'm really trying to pace myself so that I don't watch all 13 episodes in a shot and it's over...so far, I managed to quit at 4...5 and 6 coming up today!

I know what you mean, I did that last time and it seemed endless before they came back. It will still be a long time but I want to stretch it out a bit and use it as a treat when I need to unwind.

• Love 4

*blushes*

I meant to do 5 and 6 only, Truly I did!

Then it was 7, 8, ooh 9, then 10 (so sad!!!!)

Then I caught myself and stopped.

3 more to go....

Damn this show is good!!!! Each episode better than the last. So far, not a dud in the bunch...and my heart...it just gives me ALL the feels...

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:50 AM, debraran said:

I know her story  line was underdeveloped and she isn't too likable but as a mom of 3, I don't like the "I can't handle this" stuff, the drinking, setting her sister up with guys she drools over, talking about her kid pooping and having to go home while whining about husband. This might be realistic, the "dumb husband" for some, but there is no realistic talk about working it out and drinking until you're sloshed and then going home, just rubs me the wrong way. I know it's just for entertainment but just like I didn't like Grace drinking and driving and taking pills with liquor last season, I'll compartmentalize it and enjoy the rest.

I did love the art show and how it ended, with the woman who like myself can " just look" most of the time, got a nice painting and Frankie got a sale. ; )

This is the real artist : http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/grace-and-frankie-season-3-lily-tomlin-paintings-1202014977/

The artist said she was an extra at the gallery, so now I have to go back and see if I can spot her,even though don't know what she looks like from the article. Oh wait, found her here.

• Love 1

Wow, can the write the Briana character any less likable?  

She might be the reason I can't continue with the show, I wish they would stop making her the most prominent child on the show.  She is insufferable.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 3
On 3/28/2017 at 2:12 AM, debraran said:

Didn't Frankie have a computer cover like this? http://www.nrosen.com/stuff/

Very similar.  Rosen, who resembles Tomlin (!) probably painted it for her.   It has a hand reaching across the top in the same style of the paintings. 

8 hours ago, RealReality said:

Wow, can the write the Briana character any less likable?  

She might be the reason I can't continue with the show, I wish they would stop making her the most prominent child on the show.  She is insufferable.

She will change, just watch.  Robert started out despicable and he turns around.  This show is not intended to be taken seriously, it is a comedy.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

Very similar.  Rosen, who resembles Tomlin (!) probably painted it for her.   It has a hand reaching across the top in the same style of the paintings. 

She will change, just watch.  Robert started out despicable and he turns around.  This show is not intended to be taken seriously, it is a comedy.  

She is changing, so I'm happy for that.  But in these episodes I can't find her funny, even in an over the top way.

Loved Brianna showing up in the poncho. 

The adult children together in a scene are hilarious. More, please.

Sol drives me crazy. 

Frankie seemed a bit toned down. I'm sure that won't last. 

Loved it. 

• Love 2

I LOVE Brianna!  It's so obvious that being raised by Grace has crippled both girls emotionally so I'm giving her a pass for some of the meanish things she says.  I think she's got great lines and a funny delivery.  I find myself laughing at her the most.  I may be twisted.... 

Just love this show!  I'm away from home and just binge watched seasons 1 and 2 again on my laptop.  What great writing and acting!  I'm trying to pace myself on season 3... but we'll see...  :)

• Love 5
On 3/25/2017 at 11:48 AM, EarlGreyTea said:

Loved that Kenny Loggins showed up. Not to hate on the guy, but last season's subplot is probably the most publicity he's gotten in decades. He owed it to the show to show up (admittedly I'm a millennial and don't pay attention to him). He may have a future in sitcoms, because "What the fuck?" was hysterical.

I'm a baby boomer but haven't seen Kenny Loggins in years.  He was unrecognizable to me.  I truly thought they had hired someone to play Kenny Loggins for a brief moment!  Way too much plastic surgery, Kenny.

• Love 3