Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: 6pm - 7pm

Carter needs Andy's help to get crucial evidence back in their possession; Rebecca calls in someone from the outside when CTU's regular interrogation techniques lead them to a dead end.

I hate to admit it, but this plan actually makes sense. Of course, with four more episodes it won't work and everything Carter does blow up in his face. The terrorist guy has his own computer guy. He will see that Andy is running a virus before he can infect the drive. 

Andy was surprisingly courageous. Locke did his best, but it didn't work, maybe he should have declared his love. Poor Andy. If I was going to die, I would be damn sure annoyed that I had to put up with Carter family drama. At least, Carter went with Andy.

I have no sympathy for the father. I bet ultimately the Senator says go ahead torture him. After all, they tried unsuccessfully to reason with him.

I can't with Isaac and Nicole's tormented whatever. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Andy was surprisingly courageous.

The hardest I ever laughed at this show was when Chloe tased that guy hitting on her in the hotel bar. The second hardest was Andy's, "That's kind of a big ask."

• Love 4

So Tony's gotta be pushing 50? 60? In this timeline? Still able to get the ladies though. Of course he and Rebecca had a thing which is pissing off his current lady. It's Aisha/Isacc/Nicole part deux. 

Loved that Locke pinged that Andy was up to something. Annoyed that once again Eric gets the drop and gets to be 'right'. Yeah, you're saving your wife and brother (which not really, these terrorists wanted to kill you AND your wife this morning so doubtful they'd just let them go because you cooperated) but Andy and his loved ones  is poop out of luck because let's be real, Eric, if Andy hadn't said yes you would have forced him to help you. At the very least you'd have knocked him out and he'd wake up en route to the drop where you'd convince him to help you since you're almost there anyway.

Teddy Sears cracks me up in showing how inexperienced he is as a CTU Director. I've seen him take charge in other roles before so it's cool he's veering into the hand ringing side of things.

Bailey Chase was working those concerned eyes. Locke was anguished over the explosion, concerned over Andy, and observant about a lot of things. Kinda wish Eric would've allowed I dunno, 5 mins of brainstorming of alternate plans, before pummeling Locke. He had the time since Andy was still writing the friggin code. And if Locke was worried about being seen as 'soft' before by his field ops team, being chained up in the CTU parking garage by a non agent (but yeah, a Ranger as Eric repeatedly likes to tell us) is REALLY not a good look.

This seasons feels...slow and padded. Seems to me back in the day just 8 episodes were action packed and nonstop twists and turns. Doesn't feel like a lot has happened. Even with Die Another Day you had two villains- the main Evil Cat Stark and then Cheng to close things out. Unless Ben comes back as a pissed off Zombie or Issac is revealed to be one of the cells, this season feels a bit light. We'll see.

• Love 2

In the Live Another Day extras, there was a bit with Tony getting the plans to his maxium security prison. So I suppose he escaped? And Rebecca hasn't turned him in beacuse he is usefull in times like these. 

11 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I can't with Isaac and Nicole's tormented whatever. 

Same here. I am doing whatever the opposite of shipping is. 

Edited by marinw
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

The hardest I ever laughed at this show was when Chloe tased that guy hitting on her in the hotel bar. The second hardest was Andy's, "That's kind of a big ask."

If Andy was a Terminator his Possible Responses would have been:

1. Fuck you, asshole
  2. Buy me dinner first

I just can't take Carter seriously. His hero complex is ridiculous and for every small win he stumbles into a bigger mistake. And we're to believe Andy was willing to go on a suicide mission because of unrequited love and because his boss wrote him off? After Carter basically told him his life wasn't as valuable as Nicole and Isaac's? Plus, if Carter's plan doesn't work he's effectively helped the terrorists and made CTU look like tools for enabling him.

I know it's a waste of time to make such comparisons but it's hard for me to watch shows like Homeland or even the somewhat campy Colony and then see the low rent plot and character development on this show. I guess I'm still only watching for Nicole and Rebecca, though the show seems to be determined to keep Nicole in a victim position with occasional moments of bravery.

• Love 1

I'm surprised there are so many gullible viewers to fall for the typical 24 shtick.

I can pretty much guarantee you that Jimmy Smitts is the bad guy.  Some unseen flashback will reveal that his father is innocent and the presidential candidate was behind everything...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Smitty227 said:

I'm surprised there are so many gullible viewers to fall for the typical 24 shtick.

I can pretty much guarantee you that Jimmy Smitts is the bad guy.  Some unseen flashback will reveal that his father is innocent and the presidential candidate was behind everything...

How does that explain the private conversation the two of them had talking about the plot?  

• Love 1

Good seeing Tony back,hopefully he'll stick around to the end of the finale..

Also i dont think the whole thing with Nicole and Isaac has been wrapped up just yet,surely Isaac will find himself in some trouble yet again

CTU Director Zoom may not be long for this series lol

Well it was probably the best hour for me, which granted isn't saying very much, but trading in Amira and the sub teacher for Tony is of course a huge net plus.

Locke was indeed working those smoldering eyes on Andy.  I can see why Andy fell for him and probably pretty hard too. You could tell Locke was use to eventually getting his way. Those eyes!

Rebecca certainly isn't going for any wife of the year awards.  In Fact, I bet if Donovan ever does become President out of this mess, he'll be another bachelor President.

Maybe if that flash drive doesn't get destroyed, Tony can overhear Rebecca on the phone or something and say he can help there too. He knows THE computer wiz. Heh.  Just thinking out loud. ;)

5 hours ago, vb68 said:

Maybe if that flash drive doesn't get destroyed, Tony can overhear Rebecca on the phone or something and say he can help there too. He knows THE computer wiz. 

She probably needs to fly in from London or Berlin....during the time jump....

• Love 1

Eric: I brought CTU's 3rd best analyst. His clearance was yanked, but he was able to sneak out a classified laptop and CTU software development kit. Which he totally didn't use to create a virus. 

Jadallah: Andy, my brother... welcome back!

Eric: Andy - you're with Jadallah? But you're a gay Jew! You know how their kind feels about that.

Jadallah: What do you mean "our kind"? You think we are Muslim? We are Unitarian! I met Andy at a Bernie Sanders rally. We are trying to stop Senator Bail Organa from stealing the election.

Eric: None of this makes any sense.

Jadallah: That's what we've been saying about everything you've done so far.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

And we're to believe Andy was willing to go on a suicide mission because of unrequited love and because his boss wrote him off? After Carter basically told him his life wasn't as valuable as Nicole and Isaac's? Plus, if Carter's plan doesn't work he's effectively helped the terrorists and made CTU look like tools for enabling him.

I think that Andy agreed to go on the suicide mission because he is a patriot, not because of unrequited love or because his boss demoted him. Andy seemed about to reject Carter out of hand, but when he made the argument that they would be saving thousands of lives, you could see Andy pause, think about those lives, and then make the decision. 

I still think that the plan was a good idea, but if I was Andy, I would never go along with it without CTU's involvement because everything Carter does is a disaster and sure to fail.

• Love 2

I don't question Andy's patriotism but I think if he weren't so emotionally vulnerable at the moment he wouldn't've agreed to help Carter in a way that seemed guaranteed to end up with him dead. He's an analyst who works in an office at a desk and going on a mission like this is literally outside of his job description. (Except perhaps for a possible "other duties as assigned" clause, which could be invoked by his boss, not some guy who isn't even a co-worker.) Unless they were setting the character up to be written out anyway, or Andy thinks if he comes out of this suuccessfully it'll turn everything around for him, I don't see why it was necessary to keep emphasizing the stuff about his failed love life and the loss of his job status.

18 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't question Andy's patriotism but I think if he weren't so emotionally vulnerable at the moment he wouldn't've agreed to help Carter in a way that seemed guaranteed to end up with him dead. He's an analyst who works in an office at a desk and going on a mission like this is literally outside of his job description. (Except perhaps for a possible "other duties as assigned" clause, which could be invoked by his boss, not some guy who isn't even a co-worker.) Unless they were setting the character up to be written out anyway, or Andy thinks if he comes out of this suuccessfully it'll turn everything around for him, I don't see why it was necessary to keep emphasizing the stuff about his failed love life and the loss of his job status.

Maybe a couple of things...

As I recall Chloe would jump into boiling oil to protect Jack on whatever hare-brained scheme he devised; and then there is ( a requirement ?) "follow-the-trend" to incorporate a gay character/plot line in every story.  There really isn't a "need" to involve sexuality at all in the Andy character, the patriotism angle or simply a need to be seen as someone who "gets involved" as opposed to just watching life on a video monitor, would have sufficed to explain Andy's decision to join Carter's (hare-brained) scheme.

• Love 2

I never watched the original 24 so on that score I don't get it. But what if Andy were instead a woman named Andrea, and she'd just been dumped by her co-worker boyfriend who while not her boss is higher than her in the food chain and wanted to keep things discreet for office politics reasons. And she'd just been relegated to the largely female data input pool as punishment for doing something her boss didn't like. Then some guy who doesn't even work in CTU asked her to do what Carter asked of Andy. I think that would look like the b.s. plot development that IMO it is. But then this is a show full of b.s. plot developments, so...

2 hours ago, Stratego said:

As I recall Chloe would jump into boiling oil to protect Jack on whatever hare-brained scheme he devised;

Yeah, but Chloe wasn't ride of die Jack until after YEARS of working with him, he saving her life and she saving his. In Day 3 he wanted to kill her half the time, and she was ready to report his ass time and time again. Day 4 they were surprised to be happy to see each other and from that point on never looked back towards the slow evolution of the relationship they ended up with in Die Another Day.

Rebecca to me is more like a Jack to Andy's Chloe than Eric is in that we see Andy's immense loyalty to Rebecca and he'll do anything for her. Which makes sense if they'd been working together for years and if he's seen Rebecca get shit done in the same way Chloe say Jack get shit done. So I could fanwank Andy also partially transferring the loyalty he has for Rebecca onto Eric since he knows Rebecca holds him in such high esteem.

When Chloe went out into the field in Day 4, Edgar was worried about her and Chloe was not happy having to go in the field. When Jack returned to CTU and heard about it he was concerned as well and the audience was sure she was gonna end up dead when not only did she keep her head, she showed that she had been paying attention in firearms class and saved herself and the witness she'd been sent to debrief. Their personal relationship aside, Locke's concerns about Andy just walking into this situation with Eric were very valid. Add in that it's his estranged boo that he regrets breaking up with because of his insecurities and has issues with but doesn't want to see getting tortured/killed by terrorist? And yeah, Locke's gonna be pissed Eric is pulling Andy into not just a risky situation, a practically certain to end in both of their deaths situation.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I never watched the original 24 so on that score I don't get it. But what if Andy were instead a woman named Andrea, and she'd just been dumped by her co-worker boyfriend who while not her boss is higher than her in the food chain and wanted to keep things discreet for office politics reasons. And she'd just been relegated to the largely female data input pool as punishment for doing something her boss didn't like. Then some guy who doesn't even work in CTU asked her to do what Carter asked of Andy. I think that would look like the b.s. plot development that IMO it is. But then this is a show full of b.s. plot developments, so...

I don't see it that way. Andy has showed by risking his career and breaking the rules time and time again for Rebecca that he is "a true believer." He knew that Mullins was looking for a way to demote him and he still stole the plans to help Rebecca and Carter set up the sting with arms dealer. Andy even told Locke that he thought it was a courageous thing to do. I think that Andy would have gone with Carter even if he was happily coupled up with Locke or got a promotion. When Locke asks him everything is alright, it looks like he is having second thoughts, but then he looks at the film of the bridge blowing up and says he is good and leaves. Andy simply thinks that saving thousands of people's lives are worth the sacrifice. I agree it is a tv trope, but I don't think that it has to do with his sexuality. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I won't even lie: Andy's "That's kind of a big ask" was hilariously understated, and perhaps the one thing that distracted me from trying to figure out the temporal mechanics of when/how Rebecca and Tony "Used To Be A Bad Guy, Now I'm An Asset" Almeida were a thing.  (I'm guessing somewhere before Day 7, or possibly before Day 3.  I still need to confirm the time gaps.)

At least Locke actually got to hold up his end in a fight with Eric, brief as it was.  He probably needed the cred.

That aside, Hipster Kid Terrorist (and his hipster posse in the junkyard, which amused me to no end; they're the most well-dressed terrorists I've seen in a while) earned some points for blatantly going back on his deal with Eric right after Isaac and Action Bae got out of there.  If you're going to be ruthless, then own it...even if it's not necessarily impressing your hostages.

36 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

Rebecca to me is more like a Jack to Andy's Chloe than Eric is in that we see Andy's immense loyalty to Rebecca and he'll do anything for her. Which makes sense if they'd been working together for years and if he's seen Rebecca get shit done in the same way Chloe say Jack get shit done. So I could fanwank Andy also partially transferring the loyalty he has for Rebecca onto Eric since he knows Rebecca holds him in such high esteem.

ITA.  Rebecca was apparently held in high regard when she ran CTU, so that works...and, if this iteration of the show's going to persist, with or without Eric, it kind of needs a Chloe.  A slightly nerdy, gay, male Chloe probably completes some sort of character bingo card, but hey...

ETA: Eric convincing Andy to go on this suicide mission with/for him was probably the most Jack Bauer-ish he's been in the show to date--utterly insane as it was--and for that alone it gets a pass.

Edited by Bill C.
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Bill C. said:

That aside, Hipster Kid Terrorist (and his hipster posse in the junkyard, which amused me to no end; they're the most well-dressed terrorists I've seen in a while) earned some points for blatantly going back on his deal with Eric right after Isaac and Action Bae got out of there.  If you're going to be ruthless, then own it...even if it's not necessarily impressing your hostages.

Not just well-dressed, but PATIENT! They waited, like, TEN minutes while Eric said good-bye to his loved ones! They had enough time to explain the entire plan and order a pizza while Jadalala (sp?) glared at them, and poor Andy was wondering how he might back out gracefully, and whether he and Locke could keep the handcuffs. When Jadalala told his minions to go kill Isaac and Nicole I was, OK, you are not THE most innocuous terrorists ever.

And what's a season of 24 without a little enhanced interrogation? Tony looks good. I might agree to a little waterboarding with him. But no needles!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, TDT said:

I dont think the whole thing with Nicole and Isaac has been wrapped up just yet,surely Isaac will find himself in some trouble yet again

I'm sure Isaac will sacrifice himself to get Nicole safe once Hipster Terrorists #1 and #2 show up.  Because God forbid, we actually see Nicole being as effective (even when terrified) as she was in episode 1.

7 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I still think that the plan was a good idea, but if I was Andy, I would never go along with it without CTU's involvement because everything Carter does is a disaster and sure to fail.

And, you know, having the resources of the CTU.  Eh, who needs that???

1 hour ago, marinw said:

As of this writing, Andy and Locke are the only couple I feel capable of shipping.

I like Isaac and Nicole myself.  I think they're far more compatible than she is with Eric.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bill C. said:

and perhaps the one thing that distracted me from trying to figure out the temporal mechanics of when/how Rebecca and Tony "Used To Be A Bad Guy, Now I'm An Asset" Almeida were a thing.  (I'm guessing somewhere before Day 7, or possibly before Day 3.  I still need to confirm the time gaps.)

Did Tony say that they got together after Michelle died? Because that was the period where Tony was thought tp be dead. (Between Days 5 and 7) Then he was in prison. And now he is not. So IDEK.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, NorthstarATL said:

Not just well-dressed, but PATIENT! They waited, like, TEN minutes while Eric said good-bye to his loved ones! They had enough time to explain the entire plan and order a pizza while Jadalala (sp?) glared at them...

I was cracking up at that!  They were having a true family therapy session:  I forgive you for this...I was wrong about that....that was all my fault...oh, and another thing....

• Love 1
5 hours ago, marinw said:

As of this writing, Andy and Locke are the only couple I feel capable of shipping.

That ship crashed into the George Washington Bridge....at least one of them is not going to "Live Another Day"

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, marinw said:

Did Tony say that they got together after Michelle died? 

Yes. Then she quickly dumped him for Sen. Bobby Simone...

Edited by paigow

I'm betting that Andy is working with the terrorist, and Eric will find this out the hardway.

Also, sooooo, how did Tony escape jail? Or is 24: Solitary (even though, we haven't seen in that intro how he escaped jail, just hat he was given a data chip or something like that) valid now?

The Locke/Andy story line is lame.  Did they figure they needed a gay couple?  I love Bailey Chase, let him just be a bad ass CTU agent,  and he could have kicked Carter's butt.  They should have named this something besides 24.  And Tony's new 'girlfriend' is a remake of the bitchy one he had before.  Season 4?  After Michelle he got lousy taste in women.  Go save Jack from Russian.  Pick up Kate, she will help and Jack's friend Belcheck? 

Excellent episode -- a second successive high-water mark.  It's a shame the season doesn't seem to have been better received because it's showing promise.  I do think the reprise of a couple of classic scores helped (heard a hint of Jack/Audrey in Nicole/Isaac).

Having Tony back is terrific.  Such an incredible character and he's in a fascinating place now -- the ghost of CTU past.

The Nicole/bin Khalid scenes were electric and I also liked the stuff with Andy.

It's all vintage CTU - sacrifice, desperate measures, hostage exchanges, but it's really well done.

But yeah, Tony/Rebecca doesn't make any sense in the timeline if it's after Michelle died.  If we put Season 1 in Spring 2000, he met Michelle in 2001, they were married by 2004, she died in 2007 and he was "presumed dead" until 2013 when he emerged as a terrorist which would be career suicide for Rebecca to be anywhere near and her career certainly hasn't suffered.  He was then in jail until at least 2021 (it says it's 8 years after he was sentenced so, more realistically, 2022) and that must make this 2024 to fit in with the presidential cycle.  2 years isn't "a long time ago".  Oh well.  On the plus side, there's a good chance that the sitting 24 president could be the first president to complete a full term of office since David Palmer (and even he was removed from office for three hours under the 25th amendment).

Anyway, I'm glad the show is entering its second half strong.  I do think it suffers from being 12 instead of 24.  Also, there were quite a few moments where the editing was too tight for the real-time to be believable -- especially the consecutive scenes with Mullins/Donovan and Mullins/Rebecca.  Sundown is still lightning fast too.  Still -- niggles.  I'm loving the ride.