Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Fire and Rain

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad for the show to now revolve around Maddie if she were a better, more nuanced actress. Right now she has two looks: her scrunched up crying face and her "who farted?" face. Did she and Scarlett go to the same acting school?

• Love 4

Hey there Trevor Noah! He was pretty good here, but I do question why he had her sing in the middle of a party. Why didn't she just sing on his show? That makes WAY more sense.

Deacon is just killing me. Big ups to Chip, he is doing a great job. He is just breaking my heart with his sad eyes. I can see how people are irritated with him not running the company or letting them put out the documentary of Rayna, but still, the guys wife just died. As Avery said, if anyone should be able to understand heartbreak, it should be country artists. Avery is just the best.

Maddie was alright this episode, on her own, but I'm not here for the Maddie show. Not at all.

Music was really nice this episode. The last one just got me in the gut. I still don't really think I like the idea of killing of Rayna, but that was really well done.

Scarlett...I just cant. Its too bad, because I thought she was really good with Deacon and the girls, but she was awful about telling poor Gunnar about the pregnancy. What the hell?

• Love 1

The show may have forgotten, but we already had a "who's the daddy?" storyline after Juliette cheated on Avery with Oliver Hudson. Unless British director is sticking around, it seems like a done deal that Gunnar is the father. So will this be the third example on the show of a child being a reason for a couple to reunite? (Maddie, Cadence)

What I don't get is why Scarlett is being such a bitch to Gunnar when as far as I can tell, she simply became attracted to someone else and Gunnar did nothing wrong. I used to root for them to get back together but he's been so badly used by both Scarlett (and the show) this year, now I hope he moves on (which, naturally, will make Scarlett want him again).

• Love 4
20 hours ago, J-Man said:

That kind of annoyed me. She's now had THREE different surnames in the few years we've been following her? (Conrad, Claybourne, and now Jaymes.) Is she doing that just to capitalize on her mother's name recognition? Did she just decide to do it after Mom kicked the bucket? What's Daphne calling herself these days?

I remember she was calling herself Maddie James when she was trying to get a record deal after the emancipation last season. Obviously then it was to get recognition. I don't know if she kept calling herself that since then or started to again now. Or if the writers just can't remember.

9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Hey there Trevor Noah! He was pretty good here, but I do question why he had her sing in the middle of a party. Why didn't she just sing on his show? That makes WAY more sense.

Deacon is just killing me. Big ups to Chip, he is doing a great job. He is just breaking my heart with his sad eyes. I can see how people are irritated with him not running the company or letting them put out the documentary of Rayna, but still, the guys wife just died. As Avery said, if anyone should be able to understand heartbreak, it should be country artists. Avery is just the best.

Maddie was alright this episode, on her own, but I'm not here for the Maddie show. Not at all.

Music was really nice this episode. The last one just got me in the gut. I still don't really think I like the idea of killing of Rayna, but that was really well done.

Scarlett...I just cant. Its too bad, because I thought she was really good with Deacon and the girls, but she was awful about telling poor Gunnar about the pregnancy. What the hell?

And as some others have pointed out, what was Highway 65 going to do, had Rayna not died; how were they going to pay the bills?

So why the urgency? 

9 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

So will this be the third example on the show of a child being a reason for a couple to reunite? (Maddie, Cadence)

Fourth. There was Gunnar's ex who abandoned her son with him and claimed he was the father (turns out the dad was Gunnar's dead brother). Sheesh, this show is so extra.

On one hand, Rachel Bilson's about to join the cast...so we may not have so much of the Maddie Show. On the other hand, Rachel Bilson deserves to join a show in better shape.

• Love 3

I'm really glad they haven't smoothed all the edges off of Juliette's personality. Hayden P is so good at playing a complex blend of sympathetic and antagonistic.

I hope they get back to doing more music by more of the characters. I may be wrong, but it seems that they've been doing mostly snippets rather than full songs. And I would like them to "share the wealth" beyond Maddie or Maddie/Daphne. In the first season I remember wanting to download several of the songs performed on the show. Now, not so much.

• Love 4

*In Chris Rock's voice* Another kid? This show didn't need another pregnancy (yet) especially involving S&G. We know TPTB will make it Gunner's kid unless they want to pull a Rayna/Teddy or do an abortion storyline. Also Gunner already went through a not the daddy storyline. What will be Maddie's fourth and fifth last names?  More names than a damn con artist or Elizabeth Taylor. I miss the ABC version of the series. No, it wasn't perfect but it was better than this boring melodrama crap. 

• Love 1
On March 11, 2017 at 6:40 AM, Tara said:

Sheesh, Deacon is one big pile of female hormones.

People other than women can express deep emotion, and this kind of stereotype is why toxic masculinity is such a problem.

Chip Esten had me in tears. When he finally broke down in the bed room, I sobbed right along with him. He is the main reason I am still watching. I just wish this show was better.

Why is Scarlett so terrible? Seriously. She treats Gunnar so badly. Also, why can't anyone on this show effectively use birth control? I don't understand it.

Please give Avery and Juliette their own storyline. Please. I beg of you, show.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 18

Sheesh, Deacon is one big pile of female hormones.

People other than women can express deep emotion, and this kind of stereotype is why toxic masculinity is such a problem.

Deacon is sickeningly emotional, IMO.  That is not to say all men who cry are sickeningly emotional.

It felt to me like a ridiculous plot device that all the attention after the CMA performance was only on Maddie. Daphne was the hero of that performance, and I can't imagine that the media wouldn't have been interested in both of them. Not to mention that after all of Maddie's drama last year playing the poor little manipulated girl to get out of two different record contracts, she would likely have a reputation as a diva and people in the industry would be reluctant to work with her. 

Also, I call shenanigans on all that talk that Rayna would have wanted Maddie to seize this moment. The media exploiting her grief is exactly the sort of thing that Rayna would have tried to protect her from. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Bubbles said:

It felt to me like a ridiculous plot device that all the attention after the CMA performance was only on Maddie. Daphne was the hero of that performance, and I can't imagine that the media wouldn't have been interested in both of them. Not to mention that after all of Maddie's drama last year playing the poor little manipulated girl to get out of two different record contracts, she would likely have a reputation as a diva and people in the industry would be reluctant to work with her. 

Also, I call shenanigans on all that talk that Rayna would have wanted Maddie to seize this moment. The media exploiting her grief is exactly the sort of thing that Rayna would have tried to protect her from. 

Yeah, I agree, the media would have been all over Daphne. Scarlett was right that people are obsessed with pretty young women, but they also are obsessed with kids with talents.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Bubbles said:

Agreed.  I think I said, out loud, each time Deacon made those comments - "no, she wouldn't."  Rayna was all about keeping the girls away from that.

• Love 2
On 3/23/2017 at 4:35 PM, Bubbles said:

Agreed. I kind of get what Deacon was trying to say, in that it's important to seize these moments as they come, no matter what profession, but Rayna has always tried to keep the girls away from this type of publicity. She would know that the media wouldn't be genuinely interested in Maddie at this point, but just Rayna's daughter. It actually might be the worst time to capitalize on the moment. Juliette doesn't understand that because she's always wanted to be in the spotlight and had very few people protecting her. I remember after Jolene died that Glenn actually convinced Juliette that she needed time to grieve, away from the press and the spotlight. 

Agree with the above.  I think it probably would have done no good at that point for Deacon to have chastised Maddie for any of it, so I was glad to see she recognized what was happening.  I mean, she is a 17 year old girl and not particularly savvy in the ways of the world, although I know she doesn't see it that way.  So for her to see what the coverage looked like and put a halt to it showed maybe the beginnings of some maturity.  Plus it looked like she was very uncomfortable singing Sanctuary at that event.  I actually felt sad for her then, because no one really stepped up - I'm looking at you, Juliette! - to tell her she didn't have to do that.

• Love 2