Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

When you are putting together a team where dance ability is a priority but not the only or even biggest priority, the solo Jessika did is not putting someone on the bubble, especially if she was fine everywhere else. Let's face it, every year there are several girls on the team who are overall subpar dancers but they are strong in the areas that matter. Jessika is no different - DCC isn't sticking her in a lyrical costume and having her dance a solo to song that's not really dance solo material. What matters most is she does kickline well, their style of dance well, she's a great ambassador and is physically fit/looks good in the uniform.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, cgloss said:

I'm under the impression the social media team might not have been given precise direction on who to post. Jenna kicked things off, but there wasn't a clip of her and her solo is expected to be among the strongest. No clip of Holly either, which I would think would be given (unless her top fell off in the first couple of seconds). 

I would have like to have seen Khalyn, Selina and Kelsey's solos, only because I worry about them making it back. 

Holly's was on snap

Vets have been cut in the past based on their solo's alone and sorry that was not the quality solo you would expect for a Vet. It was off beat, sloppy, and rushed. I just expect better from a Vet and with the talent this year I really expect nothing short of perfection from the Vets. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Where can I watch Celinda's? 

2 hours ago, imcomingforyou214 said:

Wow... just wow... that is all I have to say. I guess all will be revealed in due time #KarmasAB. Like c'mon, it's 2017 - SHE couldn't possibly think that it wasn't going to come out before the finals. That would have been a rookie move ... or better yet, 'veteran move'! Lolololol 

Im lost..... 

Edited by Sandiedog
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Dlcmom said:

When you are putting together a team where dance ability is a priority but not the only or even biggest priority, the solo Jessika did is not putting someone on the bubble, especially if she was fine everywhere else. Let's face it, every year there are several girls on the team who are overall subpar dancers but they are strong in the areas that matter. Jessika is no different - DCC isn't sticking her in a lyrical costume and having her dance a solo to song that's not really dance solo material. What matters most is she does kickline well, their style of dance well, she's a great ambassador and is physically fit/looks good in the uniform.

I think when they say a vet is cut for a bad solo, that's usually an excuse to cover some other reason why they don't want them there anymore. Solos are meaningless unless you're wanting to be on show group, or you've never been to a prep class or otherwise on the radar, and need to distinguish yourself.

Seriously, I feel like there's an overreaction to Jessika's solo, because Jessika has been so invisible this past year. We know nothing about her, so when it's time to try to name a vet who might be cut, Jessika's name comes up. I hope she kills it with everything else, and I don't think her solo is cut worthy. 

• Love 7
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Sandiedog said:

Where can I watch 

Im lost..... 

Me too. What does this even mean?  Vendetta? Edited to add...referring to comment about this being 2017, Karma, Find out something etc...

Edited by Laurawithcats
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Laurawithcats said:

Me too. What does this even mean?  Vendetta? Edited to add...referring to comment about this being 2017, Karma, Find out something etc...

???

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, crazydegulady said:

The last video on the insta story, is the 2nd girl Yuko? If so she does not look like a vet dancing in that little clip IMO 

I think it is, if it is then she was falling out of her turn

Guest djd123
18 minutes ago, crazydegulady said:

The last video on the insta story, is the 2nd girl Yuko? If so she does not look like a vet dancing in that little clip IMO 

Yes, that's Yuko.

That was definitely yuko and that turn was a no from me. Her dancing doesn't scream "power and projection" to me.

Guest djd123
(edited)
6 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

That was definitely yuko and that turn was a no from me. Her dancing doesn't scream "power and projection" to me.

She is just an average dancer IMO.  Of course, we all know that dance is not the only factor in being a DCC, but seeing as the girl can barely speak English, I'm not really sure why they are choosing to hold onto her..

EDIT: I mean this in the way that she likely struggles to be an ambassador and represent the Cowboys if she has trouble interacting with others.

Edited by djd123
14 minutes ago, djd123 said:

She is just an average dancer IMO.  Of course, we all know that dance is not the only factor in being a DCC, but seeing as the girl can barely speak English, I'm not really sure why they are choosing to hold onto her..

EDIT: I mean this in the way that she likely struggles to be an ambassador and represent the Cowboys if she has trouble interacting with others.

Her English was indeed quite poor last spring. But a lot can happen in a year so hoepfully, she's worked hard to improve it. I haven't had time to access many of the solo videos today so I can't speak to her dancing. But if her dancing is bad and her English skills are still not good, she shouldn't be invited to training camp. 

I'm eager to get a first-hand account of what happend during Holly's solo and reported wardrobe malfunction. I can't imagine going through anything close to that! I'd be in the fetal in the bathroom. ?

1 hour ago, crazydegulady said:

I agree. No Yuko hater (I'm pretty neutral) but she definitely fell out of her turn and wasn't on the beat. I think she's very cute and see her appeal, but not her best showing. Looked like a decent solo but IMO the field should count way more. 

If Karma is a bi-otch, then who did she smack down and why?  Please explain that comment.  As for Holly's possible wardrobe malfunction, hopefully she's a seasoned enough performer that she would know about any issues with that type of costume and have planned for it (or at least have someone pull her aside to explain it).  If it happened, I hope it was just a badly timed occurrence.  Still, something like that should be why you have at least two of everything (two pairs of tights, two pairs of whatever shoes you're wearing, two costumes, etc.) or have your costume practically superglued to your body so there's no way it's coming off.  I know there's ways of keeping it up/on, like an invisible strap running from one side to the other across the back of her neck (like the one that Amy Simone SHOULD have used two years ago, but didn't during her routine; she'd had it on at Kitty's but not when in front of the judges though her's was over the shoulder).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Nelliephant said:

Madeline's solo. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DCCheerleaders/status/863465761561604100/video/1

I love it, does help that the post modern jukebox version of seven nation army is a fav of mine!

She has so many feet and technique issues - ugh.  Great choreography and performance, but she's just not in the same league as Erika or Holly IMO.

Need to catch up on this thread a lot - hopefully I'll have time to get through it all before things are announced ;).

• Love 4

I thought I read somewhere that they perform the combo more than once while they are performing for the judges. Is that true? If so, maybe yuko had a stumble but recovered. I guess they expect veterans to be close to perfect regardless. 

Guest djd123
1 minute ago, LaurelleJ said:

I thought I read somewhere that they perform the combo more than once while they are performing for the judges. Is that true? If so, maybe yuko had a stumble but recovered. I guess they expect veterans to be close to perfect regardless. 

I believe they perform the combo 2x through in both semis and finals, just like JennK and the other vets did in the twitter video of it.

1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I think when they say a vet is cut for a bad solo, that's usually an excuse to cover some other reason why they don't want them there anymore. Solos are meaningless unless you're wanting to be on show group, or you've never been to a prep class or otherwise on the radar, and need to distinguish yourself.

Seriously, I feel like there's an overreaction to Jessika's solo, because Jessika has been so invisible this past year. We know nothing about her, so when it's time to try to name a vet who might be cut, Jessika's name comes up. I hope she kills it with everything else, and I don't think her solo is cut worthy. 

I agree that the solo wasn't cut worthy, although I do think it was a weak solo. It basically looked she did the same moves over and over again, and she didn't seem to finish them properly - just sloppy. The other solos posted haven't been that impressive either however, so I agree, that alone is not cut worthy. If anything, I thought that she looked soft in the middle (from the front). I think that would be a bigger issue than the solo itself. 

Guest djd123

It looks like all of the vets did a "signature move" in their solos like they did a few years back.  It happens around 1:10 in Madeline's vid, 1:01 in Amy L's, and 1:01 in Erica's. You can tell because all the girls cheer.

4 hours ago, imcomingforyou214 said:

Wow... just wow... that is all I have to say. I guess all will be revealed in due time #KarmasAB. Like c'mon, it's 2017 - SHE couldn't possibly think that it wasn't going to come out before the finals. That would have been a rookie move ... or better yet, 'veteran move'! Lolololol 

If anyone didn't understand my last post, it was about this comment. My phone doesn't pick up a lot of symbols (too packed w/rescue animal's to update. I need to download those pic's elsewhere). I didn't see the response under my comment. And I thought my comment would pick up this one but it didn't. Thus doubtful I made sense. I was asking what this meant???

1 minute ago, djd123 said:

It looks like all of the vets did a "signature move" in their solos like they did a few years back.  It happens around 1:10 in Madeline's vid, 1:01 in Amy L's, and 1:01 in Erica's. You can tell because all the girls cheer.

I was looking and it didn't seem like all the vets did it

Guest djd123
(edited)
5 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

I was looking and it didn't seem like all the vets did it

Those are the only videos I bothered to look through.  It is possible not all of the vets did the move.

EDIT: I looked at Jessika and Chantal as well and they both did it too

Edited by djd123
6 minutes ago, Laurawithcats said:

If anyone didn't understand my last post, it was about this comment. My phone doesn't pick up a lot of symbols (too packed w/rescue animal's to update. I need to download those pic's elsewhere). I didn't see the response under my comment. And I thought my comment would pick up this one but it didn't. Thus doubtful I made sense. I was asking what this meant???

I don't know either. I think they were smoking something 

• Love 5
(edited)
7 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

I wish the finalist photos were better. I'm having a hard time identifying these people.

18443761_104145760165298_945002730512973824_n.jpg

18444122_214988272341371_3490724172923928576_n.jpg

18444783_295729227543865_7312383328420626432_n.jpg

18444255_1805957209723990_3963806350902820864_n.jpg

The one in the black and red sequins, second from the bottom (44) is Rachel Clancy

Edited by Dlcmom
Guest djd123
(edited)

I really couldn't tell you which newcomers I'm rooting for yet, based on how little I've seen of their dancing.  Especially without the fan vote videos.  I'm just waiting to hear which (if any) veterans get the boot.

Don't know how this quote box got here.

Edited by djd123
1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

It makes me sad for her. I know in the past they have not been happy about a Vet falling out of a turn. The rookies in this group were out dancing her sadly. 

4 minutes ago, mittensgizmo said:

It makes me sad for her. I know in the past they have not been happy about a Vet falling out of a turn. The rookies in this group were out dancing her sadly. 

But honestly, I can't imagine she was that much better auditioning last year as a rookie, yet she somehow sailed through. I'll never understand her being a DCC, but falling out of a turn is one of her more minor offenses

• Love 3

I'm interested in other people's opinions on this - my daughter has been a collegiate dancer and now an NFL cheerleader and wearing another city/team on her clothes if a HUGE no no. Like it was grounds for dismissal from her collegiate dance team - that was true for any athlete in the school and it covered all photos you or anyone else posted on social media or even if someone from the AD office saw you out and about. I was really shocked to see this costume choice but maybe it's not something Judy and Kelli would think twice about? I have a hard time imagining that though - both college and pro dance teams are basically a marketing tool first and foremost so marketing another team or city on your body just seems like something they'd care about. 

IMG_3583.PNG

• Love 1

Would be interested to know how interviews went for Selina. I wonder if they have an idea of what happened with her during the season and asked about it. I also don't think jessika's solo was terrible but I don't think she's a powerful dancer like Erica, Lacey, Jenna or holly or some of the strong veterans. Maybe she gets a pass as being a bad choreographer but good dancer with the style. Maybe next year she has someone choreograph a more exciting solo. 

Other than unexpected weight gain, I can't really pinpoint a veteran on the. I bubble.