Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Loco Parentis

Just before Molly's 11th birthday, her father returns from duty. As Diana begins to wonder if her ex might be ready to be a part of his daughter's life full-time, the team has a shocking realization.

Two comments on this one:

1- It had me on the edge of my seat despite the fact that the creature was a bit tacky-looking.

2- Oona Yaffe is a very good actress.  Any qualms I had about bringing a child into the proceedings have vanished.  Some kids are uncomfortable to watch as actors to the point where I'm pulled out of the storyline but I was with Molly all the way, feeling her fear and confusion.  She's also charming and cute as the proverbial button. 

• Love 3

Jobe the Hot is the most beautiful man on this show, on any other I watch, hands down. I mean even Bob Morley from The 100, who is just gorgeous, is way beyond on the hotness scale of this dude. Damn. Those abs. Sleepy Hollow, thank you for that fanservice hour. Appreciated it.

(Jenny was also really attractive in the scenes with Jobe the Hot. I'd say I ship it but Jobe seems to be in love with his BFF Dreyfuss who is treating him like shit. Jenny is a way better at doing human being thing and also prettier, Jobe, Y/Y?).

I had to laugh at the awkwardness of two bearded dudes with weird hair being around Diana and wanted characters to comment on that. But of course, Ihcabod looks amazing with his beard and his haircut and the fake ex looked like a hobo all way through. Diana, where's your eyes?! My favorite part was Ichabod was once again nosy about everyone's love life. It's like he just can't help himself!

Now that I got the most important parts of the episode out of the way, lets talk about the boring stuff like Monster of the Week!

Kidding! I liked everything about the Red Riding Hood mythos and the evil German werewolf killing young female Witnesses. There were some cool visuals with Molly's red hoody and the blood against the stone at the cemetery. I also enjoyed a lot how deeply Ichabod is involved with Molly's life now and that they have actual conversations and that they're bonding. I think his and Molly's scenes were ones of the best this episode. Also, Molly is as resourceful and smart for her age as I expected her to be, and she followed Ichabod's words of listening your instincts while dealing with weird shit. Diana being scared for Molly was also my favorite because on-screen chemistry between Mison and Gavankar flared, probably for the first time.

Wow, these was some intense demon possession flashbacks from Jenny, and Corbin Sr. was there! I think we need to see more of that.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, CooperTV said:

Molly is as resourceful and smart for her age as I expected her to be, and she followed Ichabod's words of listening your instincts while dealing with weird shit.

That's one of the things I liked best about the episode, and the reason I've relaxed about the idea of a child being a witness.  This is an insightful child.  The minute she realized that there was something odd going on with her "father" driving through the frikkin' woods to get ice cream, she figured out a way to trick him into revealing that he wasn't who he claimed to be and she figured out a way to get away from him.  It's a breath of fresh air when a character--especially a character as young as Molly--proves to be more savvy than the viewer expects.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, david gideon said:

This revamped version of the show isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I still have little use for their businessman villain. Besides, every time he's on screen I think of Prof Irwin Corey.

Yeah, I'm not wild about the villain either--and Professor Irwin Corey!  Hee!  There is a resemblance there!

I thought this was good, though I haven't had a much of a problem with the season. TM seems to be just great with kids, but what I really liked about the scene of he and Molly alone was that he said, "you need to talk about this with your mother." I do hope that there will me more than just "save Molly" plots though.

Jobe suddenly got way more interesting too. Is he somehow bound to Malcolm and hates it? Is there really some weird stockholm syndrome? 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Jobe suddenly got way more interesting too. Is he somehow bound to Malcolm and hates it? Is there really some weird stockholm syndrome? 

They should explore this a bit more, because the entire set up seems suspect and has potential for creating complex story.

• Love 2

It almos felt like an episode of Grimm Hollow. Grimm Red Riding Hood, the fake father/someone you trust woge-ing in to the wolf, the pattern of these creatures turning up for young witnesses. Maybe I caught on to the dad a little earlier. Ichabod's beard is well groomed and maintained. He also has a good head of hair. The fake husband did look more scruffy.

i enjoyed Jobe the Hot.

Molly also had a pretty fancy party. She is smart and resourceful, although an 11 year old is a tough sell as a Witness and Ichabod being more of a father-type figure.

• Love 1

Diana should have been on to fake Daddy from the first minute.  He supposedly just comes home from a tour of duty, yet he has long hair and a fully grown in beard?  In what branch would that be allowed while deployed?  Odd that they work so hard to get historical facts right, but screw up on easy stuff like this.

• Love 4

The Little Red Riding Hood/Big Bad Wolf stuff definitely had a S1 Grimm feel to it (and that's a good thing). I also liked that Molly proved that she is not a dumb kid of a damsel in distress. As soon as she got suspicious about her dad driving her out to the middle of nowhere for ice cream, she asked a very specific question to confirm that he wasn't really her dad, made up a good reason to pull over, and escaped by climbing out the bathroom window.

I couldn't place the actor who played Mitch, but his voice sounded familiar (and annoying, like he had a permanent frog in his throat) so hopefully Molly's real dad doesn't show up any time soon.

Hot Jobe seems like he's in love with Dickie Bennett, but maybe the truth is as simple as what he told Jenny - he takes his oaths seriously. I did laugh that his magical powers include getting him a new outfit as soon as Jenny broke the circle. Convenient that the demon trapping lantern provided a towel for him.

Loved Crane wearing a crown to talk to Molly's soccer friends about King George and then accidentally bringing up syphilis. I am glad that as much as he wants to explain all this witness stuff to Molly, he respected Diana's (well intentioned but misguided) wish not to tell her more while still trying to give Molly some assurances. That was a really tough position to be in and I think he handled it well.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Tom Mison's smirking smile in the background while <not>Daddy tried to get Diane to go for coffee was hysterical.

Molly actually turned out to be a pretty good character now that she's not just drawing on her bed and has more than three lines.  I remember rooting for Oona on Master Chef; she's turning out to be pretty good as an actress to.

So Malcolm want's to remake the world - I guess the writers had to find something for him to do that the gang could fight against otherwise who would care if he just survived the stone explosion and became immortal to get out of his deal.  I'd like to see more of Jobe though - it could be interesting if in his end game he becomes a double agent and works with Jenny and the team at times.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I couldn't place the actor who played Mitch, but his voice sounded familiar (and annoying, like he had a permanent frog in his throat) so hopefully Molly's real dad doesn't show up any time soon.

I remember him from that short-lived show Taxi Brooklyn where he played permanently greasy-haired ex of the main character played by Chyler Leigh.

3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I'd like to see more of Jobe though - it could be interesting if in his end game he becomes a double agent and works with Jenny and the team at times.

He kept up his end of the deal, so the possibilty is there. 

• Love 1
On 2/18/2017 at 2:01 PM, david gideon said:

This revamped version of the show isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I still have little use for their businessman villain. Besides, every time he's on screen I think of Prof Irwin Corey.

And I think Dickie Bennett.

• Love 3

I thought the MOTW was entertaining enough, but I can't bring myself to care about the main storyline. I dozed through much of the last 10 minutes and came here to see if I missed anything, as I very vaguely recall hearing some mustache twirling by the villain, but have no idea what the cliffhanger was or where they're off to next.

I was automatically suspicious of the ex just because he had a beard and a twangy accent, because in TV land, any time those two go together, something bad is going down!

Honestly, Jobe is already more of an interesting advisory then Dreyfuss.  I'm actually kind of curious to learn more about his background and why he is going along with this.  And the actor is doing good work, while I still feel like Jeremy Davies is just overacting whenever he appears on screen.

Glad that it looks like Diana is finally going to be more open with Molly about the whole Witness thing.

Didn't miss either Jake or Alex, which shows how insignificant those two characters are.  Really, Ichabod, Jenny, Diana, and Molly seem to be the only ones significant to this season.

Decent episode.  It did remind me a lot of Grimm though.

• Love 1

Jobe the Hot is the most beautiful man on this show, on any other I watch, hands down. . . .  Damn. Those abs. Sleepy Hollow, thank you for that fanservice hour. Appreciated it.

Yes!

This season is not as terrible as I feared it would be. However, I am loathe to give *any* praise to the show runners because they *still* don't think they did anything wrong with Abbie. I hate that smugness. Tom Mison is doing *fantastic* work and everyone else is fine except for Diana. The actress is bland. There is nothing interesting about her character. 

• Love 1
On 2/18/2017 at 9:33 PM, chaifan said:

Diana should have been on to fake Daddy from the first minute.  He supposedly just comes home from a tour of duty, yet he has long hair and a fully grown in beard?  In what branch would that be allowed while deployed?  Odd that they work so hard to get historical facts right, but screw up on easy stuff like this.

If he were a submariner, though that's only allowed while they're submerged. If they're going ashore, they have to get back into standards. As for why it's allowed for submariners, it's to conserve resources.

*Clearing out the DVR*

So Demon Daddy has the memory of Diana's favorite coffee drink, but not of gifts given to Molly? An 11 year old can outsmart him that easily? And yes, I realize I am looking for logic in a show with, you know, monsters and magic spells, but that was sloppy. 

Shirtless Jobe? Yes please!

Dreyfuss is tiresome and annoying. I would love to see Jobe working with the Scooby gang as a double agent against Dreyfuss.