Type keyword(s) to search

Being the Edwards

GreatKazu
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, GreatKazu said:

Wednesday @ 8 p.m.

Ryan's parents are given the spotlight in this special. 

Something tells me we won't hear about Ryan's problems or the argument that went down last season. 

I like Jen and Larry but, to be honest, this information is the only thing I really care about hearing!

I am still excited as hell over the Being Debra special. God, I hope she raps. 

• Love 3

Well, they did touch on the argument at the end.  I didn't know Jen was pregnant when they got married or that they got married so soon after meeting.  The rest of the time my husband dissected, what he thinks is, Ryan's meth addiction.  I'll have to rewatch.  That meth conversation was pretty interesting.

• Love 2

Jen and Larry dated for 30 days when Jen announced she was pregnant. Larry admits to telling her, "What are you gonna do about it?" she responded she was having the baby with or without him. 

They shared some wedding photos. 

Ryan was animated in two scenes, but lifeless throughout. In one scene Jen wakes up Ryan while they are on vacation. Ryan just lays there while staring. Weird.

Ryan mentioned moving in with them while his place was being renovated. Larry laughed while saying no to that request.

Ryan does a disappearing act the night of Larry's surprise bday party. Mackenzie cannot reach him via his phone. He finally shows up. No explanation given. 

Maci appears in the last 5 minutes. She picks up Bentley who appeared throughout the episode. 

Larry did not speak to Ryan for 3 months after that fight. They never said what the fight was about, of course. They showed the reunion scene when Ryan cried about the fight.

That's all folks. 

• Love 11

What was that dress Mackenzie was wearing for the surprise party?  That didn't seem at all appropriate for a cake party at a camping resort.  I get the feeling she is always flirting with Larry and that makes me seriously uncomfortable.

I've always liked Jen and Larry but I think that's because less of Larry is apparently more.  I found him to be trying too hard in this special.  I'm not sure if it is because he was trying to cover something (how did I miss this meth convo?) or  make it seem like all was right with their family.  Jen seems like a sweet person and Bentley is as always just adorable.  The scene of him wrestling with Larry was so cute. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, RamonaVanderpump said:

What was that dress Mackenzie was wearing for the surprise party?  That didn't seem at all appropriate for a cake party at a camping resort.  I get the feeling she is always flirting with Larry and that makes me seriously uncomfortable.

I've always liked Jen and Larry but I think that's because less of Larry is apparently more.  I found him to be trying too hard in this special.  I'm not sure if it is because he was trying to cover something (how did I miss this meth convo?) or  make it seem like all was right with their family.  Jen seems like a sweet person and Bentley is as always just adorable.  The scene of him wrestling with Larry was so cute. 

I think the poster meant she had a conversation with her husband about his suspicions that Ryan is doing meth. I knew in the past two people who did meth. They sure didn't act like Ryan. They were horrible. They made Ryan look like a boy scout. Yet, they held jobs and seemed to act accordingly when necessary. Who knows. I guess there are people who do meth and behave like Ryan. Anyone here have an experience with someone who did meth and behaved like Ryan?

What was that dress Mackenzie was wearing for the surprise party?  That didn't seem at all appropriate for a cake party at a camping resort.  

Mackenzie looked like she was ready to go clubbing. Jen called her out for wearing sandals while camping.  Mackenzie stated all she has are sandals and high heels. Geez. I have at least four pairs of athletic shoes, casual shoes, boots, high heels and a few sandals. I can't imagine not wearing athletic shoes from time to time.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

I think the poster meant she had a conversation with her husband about his suspicions that Ryan is doing meth. I knew in the past two people who did meth. They sure didn't act like Ryan. They were horrible. They made Ryan look like a boy scout. Yet, they held jobs and seemed to act accordingly when necessary. Who knows. I guess there are people who do meth and behave like Ryan. Anyone here have an experience with someone who did meth and behaved like Ryan?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.  Sorry for confusing anyone.  My husband was pointing out all the signs to me while the show was on.  I still have to rewatch because I paid more attention to the things he was saying.  Meth does start out making you a horrible asshole while you are chasing that first high, in the beginning.  Apparently, long term users look a lot more like Ryan.  Especially unemployed users with money in their pockets and no responsibilities.  I do have experience with someone, my husband.  He was addicted when he lived in TN before we met.  I've been saying I don't know what's up with Ryan now but that when the show started, Ryan was just a stoner that partied hard on the weekends, and held down a job.  That's not the case anymore.

My husband is a little younger than me and a little older than Ryan.  The area my husband grew up in and the area Ryan is in aren't that far apart.  After my husband got clean, he got the opportunity to spend some time in Florida before going on to a trade program near me.  He was trying to find a new direction and focus in order to go back home to his family and still be able to stay clean.  I was coming out of a 14 year marriage.  Long story short, our worlds collided.  It was never meant to be a long term serious situation.  We both laugh at how honest we were with each other because we just thought we were hanging out for a while.  Who knew we'd be where are now! LOL

The only thing we couldn't figure out is the girlfriend.  She doesn't look like she has any vices.  I said it sounds exhausting to be around Ryan so there's got to be something.  Maybe it is the cameras?  He said it's something because it is exhausting-his family got exhausted with him.  He had to quit to keep them, there was no other choice.  If he had his way, he would have kept using til it killed him.  It hooks you that bad.  It was the hardest thing he ever went through.  And the hardest thing to look back on so he tries not to.  Seeing Ryan brought it up though.  It was a very interesting conversation.  

• Love 9

I said it sounds exhausting to be around Ryan so there's got to be something.  Maybe it is the cameras?

I am exhausted watching Ryan. lol  And the guy doesn't do anything! I too wondered what is it about Mackenzie that she finds Ryan's company appealing. She looks like she wants to go out partying but Ryan looks like he just wants to lie around hoping someone would hook him up to a breathing machine so he doesn't have to do the work of breathing. I have to double check, but didn't Mackenzie say she met Ryan at the gym? WTH? How does Ryan have energy for the gym?

• Love 10

What a weird special. They tried to play carefree happy family, but Ryan's fuckedupedness kept playing like an episode of Intervention. He goes out in the morning for coffee and is gone 3 hours, then he comes home and takes a nap. Then he disappeared before the party. The rest of the time he ignores them all and never cracks a smile - just that dead stare. Fail on the happy getting to know the Edwards. 

• Love 9

Did anyone catch Mackenzie in her braces/retainer? Lol, then I notice her rubbing her tongue over it under her lip then it switches back to her without them on, I noticed because I use to do the SAME thing with the rubbing the tongue thing when I realized "Oh crap! I forgot to take my retainer off," and she didn't want the cameras to catch it.

@RamonaVanderpump I didn't see any flirtations. Which sceneses so I can rewind and rewatch later? I hope she's not into Larry I like Jen too much for some young thang to cause a rift in their marriage, especially your sons' fiance.

Mackenzie's outfit was a little too much for cake and ice cream in a camp site while everyone else dressed casual and sporty. Something tells me that there is more to Mackenzie (Obviously, to date Rhine), and we'll learn about it. You could TELL she was holding in her anger for Ryan in front of the camera's because he was late for the party and she had a mad pouty look while sitting on the couch when the show was wrapping up. My husband likes to call it the cold shoulder look. :-)

Edited by Calm81
My keyboard put sceneses instead of scenes, so I went to fix the typo but then thought "it fits".
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

I have to double check, but didn't Mackenzie say she met Ryan at the gym? WTH? How does Ryan have energy for the gym?

I'm rewatching now.  Sports Bar, he was walking in and she was walking out.  Mackenzie and Larry are discussing this when Larry explains that 'in the United States, a toboggan is a hat'.  Mackenzie asks if that was his sports bar hat and that's where she and Ryan met.  He joked he knew should have cancelled that membership.  (huh?)  Maybe they said Sports Barn?  Larry did ask if she was working out.  (Haha, I'm so confused!)

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, MissMel said:

I'm rewatching now.  Sports Bar, he was walking in and she was walking out.  Mackenzie and Larry are discussing this when Larry explains that 'in the United States, a toboggan is a hat'.  Mackenzie asks if that was his sports bar hat and that's where she and Ryan met.  He joked he knew should have cancelled that membership.  (huh?)  Maybe they said Sports Barn?  Larry did ask if she was working out.  (Haha, I'm so confused!)

Haha me too. I heard Sports Barn and then when I heard "canceled membership" I thought they were talking about a gym. 

• Love 1

@calm81 During that whole scene before they left for camping when Larry and Mack were waiting for the rest to show up I thought it was mutual flirting frankly.  Also, the talk about what a great wedding guest she was (then multiple showings of her catching the bouquet showing her underwear).  The balloons decorated to look like breasts (which I thought was inappropriate for Bentley).  The overall vibe of it.  Even Jenn seemed uncomfortable at times.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, RamonaVanderpump said:

@calm81 During that whole scene before they left for camping when Larry and Mack were waiting for the rest to show up I thought it was mutual flirting frankly.  Also, the talk about what a great wedding guest she was (then multiple showings of her catching the bouquet showing her underwear).  The balloons decorated to look like breasts (which I thought was inappropriate for Bentley).  The overall vibe of it.  Even Jenn seemed uncomfortable at times.

I'll be rewatching those scenes very shortly, thanks.

I guess there are people who do meth and behave like Ryan. Anyone here have an experience with someone who did meth and behaved like Ryan?

As someone who tried meth when I moved to Southern CA many years ago?  There are two things meth users seldom do - (1) sleep or (2) eat.  You stay up for days, with super energy, talking to everyone.  I turned into Miss Super Social.  I also stayed up for days at a time.  If Ryan was doing meth?  MTV only filmed him when he had been up for days at a time and was crashing big time. He seems to me to be someone who was using downers.  Pain killers probably.  He was never chatty, never super skinny or the life of the party.  He was tired, irritable (probably because all he wanted to do was sleep), and not skinny at all. My late husband was a pain pill junkie until he died, so I recognize the signs. Ryan was NOT a meth head.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, Trace said:

MTV only filmed him when he had been up for days at a time and was crashing big time.

yes

32 minutes ago, Trace said:

He was never chatty, never super skinny or the life of the party

long time users seldom are

It's all just speculation and a conversation.  I think Ryan has a combination of things going.  I agree with your description of pill usage, too.  Not everyone on meth looks like a toothless junkie any more than every drunk is passing out in a pile of puke.  Addictions take on all forms and images.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MissMel said:

Addictions take on all forms and images.   

Agreed. My father (who drank himself to death at 45 years of age) was a violent alcoholic.  My brother, who was addicted to literally everything (alcohol, pot, pills) and my  husband who was a pot and pill junky?  They all died from their addictions. I also dabbled in all that from time to time, so I recognize addiction when I see it. My kids know better than try to bullshit me.  They know I see right through it.  I was honest with them and told them I smoked pot, got blacked out from alcohol on the regular and snorted meth. But I recovered and have a career and every thing that goes along with sobriety.  Twenty plus years and counting.

• Love 18

I like Jen. She seems like a sweet person with a great sense of humor who is quick to laugh and see the love in things. There were moments where her natural expression seemed to betray her... the camera caught her a few times when she wasn't actively engaged with anyone, and she just looked sad or let down or deeply tired (in a tired-with-life, flat-line kind of way) to me. Not that there's anything wrong with feeling any of those things, but it seemed quite a contrast to her outward personality. It made me sad and I hope the best for her.

It was good to see Ryan's personality come out on the rare occasions that it did... for some reason, I don't dislike him. He did appear to be wearing women's jeans on numerous occasions, but perhaps he just has lady thighs. He seemed more lively at home than after they departed.

For the first time, I kind of agree with whoever said less of Larry may be more. Ryan may have issues, but that doesn't mean I would discount his claims that his dad can be a real dick too. Some of the digs he took at Ryan just seemed unnecessary, but then again, I don't live with him. I also have literally zero radar for identifying long-term drug use. I'm one who would probably naively believe Ryan was "just tired" if that's what I was told. 

I don't mind Mackenzie, but that wedding dress, GIRL.

Totally unrelated, I felt bad seeing their nice house with what looked like a massive development and new housing frame encroaching behind it. 'Course that could be what their neighbors said when Larry and Jen built theirs, who knows. But there probably used to be, like, grass and trees and shit behind them. God forbid.

And yes, Sports Barn is a fitness center.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

What a weird special. They tried to play carefree happy family, but Ryan's fuckedupedness kept playing like an episode of Intervention. He goes out in the morning for coffee and is gone 3 hours, then he comes home and takes a nap. Then he disappeared before the party. The rest of the time he ignores them all and never cracks a smile - just that dead stare. Fail on the happy getting to know the Edwards. 

Yep. I thought the episode was boring. And Macy or "Meme" (aka Jen) should teach Bentley some table manners.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2017 at 10:42 AM, RamonaVanderpump said:

I was wondering that too... it was suppose to be a surprise so why would she wear a dress and look so out of place for camping? Was she hiding in the party cabin the entire night?? I'm assuming that cabin was for MTV and Jen and Larry were in the cabin next door? 

We only saw Ryan with crazy drug eyes when he purposely did it the entire episode.... so if he's still using something he must be using less when he's around MacKenzie. But he's obviously doing something... disappearing for hours is shady shady business.  And he didn't just show up at the end for the party... it seemed like he had been in the motorhome and no one knew he was there and he wasn't telling anyone he was there. 

• Love 1
On 2/9/2017 at 4:04 PM, Trace said:

Agreed. My father (who drank himself to death at 45 years of age) was a violent alcoholic.  My brother, who was addicted to literally everything (alcohol, pot, pills) and my  husband who was a pot and pill junky?  They all died from their addictions. I also dabbled in all that from time to time, so I recognize addiction when I see it. My kids know better than try to bullshit me.  They know I see right through it.  I was honest with them and told them I smoked pot, got blacked out from alcohol on the regular and snorted meth. But I recovered and have a career and every thing that goes along with sobriety.  Twenty plus years and counting.

Congratulations Trace! Be proud of the hard work it took to get you there and the strides you have made.

This special was boring. Anything Maci-related is always boring. This special did Ryan no favors. It just conjures up the same question...what the hell is going on with him?

Edited by SPLAIN
  • Love 6
On 2/9/2017 at 7:04 PM, londonfroglet said:

I like Jen. She seems like a sweet person with a great sense of humor who is quick to laugh and see the love in things. There were moments where her natural expression seemed to betray her... the camera caught her a few times when she wasn't actively engaged with anyone, and she just looked sad or let down or deeply tired (in a tired-with-life, flat-line kind of way) to me. Not that there's anything wrong with feeling any of those things, but it seemed quite a contrast to her outward personality. It made me sad and I hope the best for her.

Maybe she just gets embarrassed by her family at times. Like when Bentley farts on camera, or Larry hams it up and mentions things better left unsaid,  or ryan hangs balloon boobs on the wall. 

However, I was surprised to hear her response when Larry was asking if she would fall in love with him all over again. She was all "heck no, it'd be my chance to get away." They laughed it off, and she played it off as kidding around, but I'm pretty sure there was some truth behind it.

Why was everyone in separate cars. I get 2 vehicles, but 4?!

Larry seemed to unnecessarily emphasize that all he and Jen's sister do was ride their bikes around.

I didnt get the timeline. Larry said he was 22 when he and Jen met. They married within a few months. Jen said they've been together for 30 years. Yet, Larry was celebrating his 56th bday? Can someone explain?

It was bad for me to watch this special.  I used to love Jen and Larry. Not so much anymore.

I was expecting to see MacKenzie flash her underwear again as she hit the pinata. It'd be like a 'wink, wink' from MTV to us.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I didnt get the timeline. Larry said he was 22 when he and Jen met. They married within a few months. Jen said they've been together for 30 years. Yet, Larry was celebrating his 56th bday? Can someone explain?

I haven't seen it, but is it possible you misheard and he was saying Jen was 22? I believe Jen was born in 1965, and pretty sure she conceived Ryan around spring of 1987 (Ryan was born in early 1988), so she would have been 22, and if they had just started dating when Jen got pregnant, they would have been together just shy of 30 years now.

I can understand Jen's sadness. Her son is a fuckup, who only talks nicely to her when he wants money, and only comes around when either MTV is filming or he needs money, Larry is probably an annoying drunk (and somehow I think he's drunk a lot), and her relationship with her grandson is dependent on the whims of Maci. I mean, I think Maci is a decent enough person to continue to allow a relationship between Bentley and Jen, but it must feel disturbing to know that you have no control over the situation.

I wonder if Ryan has actually been super responsible about birth control since Bentley, or if whatever he takes has just killed off his sperm. All the other teen dads have knocked up other girls by now, and only Corey's and Tyler's were planned.

• Love 5

I didn't hate the episode but it was dull. What I do like about this family is Jen takes all of Bentleys sibs too.  She just wants everyone to get along. You could see she was a mess during the war of Larry and Ryan. That shit broke my heart. 

Ryan is doping. I can see that from my house. I'm pretty sure I saw Jen in scrubs a time or two. I really hope Ryan quits whatever his poison. I personally think it's pills and I hope not heroin.   

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Tatum said:

I haven't seen it, but is it possible you misheard and he was saying Jen was 22? I believe Jen was born in 1965, and pretty sure she conceived Ryan around spring of 1987 (Ryan was born in early 1988), so she would have been 22, and if they had just started dating when Jen got pregnant, they would have been together just shy of 30 years now.

Well, now, that makes all the sense in the world. Thx,  @tatum.

Huh, I assume Jen's emphatic No! means, no, she was not saying she does not consider Maci family, not, no, Maci is not part of our family.

If Jen and Larry read Maci's book, there might be some hurt feelings about some of the things she said about them, but Jen and Larry seem self aware enough to know that while Maci didn't have to publish her thoughts, she's not wrong in what she said.

Nonetheless, Jen and Larry clearly have an honest affection for Maci and consider her family.

• Love 6

I still like Larry.  I think he was just goofing off for the cameras. I feel bad for Jen because Ryan is obviously disappearing to get high.  I have no idea what MacKenzie sees in him!  I think she's good for him because he's happy (he doesn't like drama)  and she's level headed and seems to help keep him on track. But I can't figure out what she gets out of the relationship.  I have kids and would never date someone who does drugs. I thought it was cute even though Larry was drunk he gave Ryan the party hat that said I love you.  Bentley is proly one of the most well adjusted teen mom kids aside from Leah and Aubrey.  Issac is a, sweetie but that poor kid has a rough life. 

• Love 3
On 2/13/2017 at 8:49 PM, FairyDusted said:

I didn't hate the episode but it was dull. What I do like about this family is Jen takes all of Bentleys sibs too.  She just wants everyone to get along. You could see she was a mess during the war of Larry and Ryan. That shit broke my heart. 

Jen does seem like she has a good heart.  I also think she knows, Maci will most likely bring Bentley around a whole lot more, if Jen takes the sibs.  If Ryan ever lost custody of Bentley, because of his general worthlessness, I really do not think he would care, but it would break Jen's heart.

• Love 2
(edited)

Finally sitting down to watch this. I'm only halfway though and had to snicker when Larry proclaims he's bringing his Toboggan. The producer responds with a confused look, '...what are you going to ride it on?' Then he says toboggans are winter hats. I think he meant Toque. He's bringing his Toque. 

The hilariously adorable moment when Bentley starts fishing and immediately says 'I got one, whoa, it's a really big one!' Nope, just snagged. He's such an adorable kid.

Ryan's girlfriend says he disappears at "the bank" for 3 hours every morning and then naps for another 3 hours every day. Um, what? A solid confirmation that he's out getting high and passes out for the afternoon. There has to be more to Mackenzie if she knows this and is okay with this behaviour. A sweet girl who hopes she can change him? Unlikely if she has a child from a previous relationship. 

Edited by iheartla
  • Love 3
(edited)

Finally sitting down to watch this. I'm only halfway though and had to snicker when Larry proclaims he's bringing his Toboggan. The producer responds with a confused look, '...what are you going to ride it on?' Then he says toboggans are winter hats. I think he meant Toque. He's bringing his Toque. 

@iheartla The southern states sometimes refer to them as toboggan:

https://letterpile.com/writing/Whether-You-Ride-or-Wear-A-Toboggan-Depends-on-Where-Youre-From

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/11359/whats-the-origin-of-using-toboggan-to-mean-a-knit-cap

Edited by GreatKazu