Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: Into The Woods

• Start Topic

and is getting recognized all over the country

By whom? I wouldn't exactly call her a household name just yet. If anything, she probably is recognized, but probably more as "that one Atlanta Housewife who beat up some other Atlanta Housewife at some reunion".

• Love 5
On 2/3/2017 at 6:51 AM, Yours Truly said:

I admit that Kenya wasn't faultless AT all but Porsha wanted to get physical and threatening.

Kenya was 100% showing her ass which I hella don't approve of and wish she would get knocked the fuck out just once so that she can rethink her tendency to act the fool 

Cause throwing hands cause "you ain't the one" makes you look like you have no sense or upbringing

Porsha knocked Kenya the fuck out. Unfortunately Kenya has no sense or upbringing so she keeps going after Porsha. We've seen when you don't respond to Kenya with violence she then becomes violent e.g. Kim Fields chair pulling incident. 

Kenya is a commoner trying to pretend she's a queen. Sad, lonely woman who can't accept her time having come and gone.

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Watermelon said:

Now that it's come up, I do wonder if it grinds Kandi's gears that most fans find her and her family unlikeable.  

Based on her behavior in previous seasons (she didn't care about what "people" thought about AJ, for example), and past years of life when she was quietly raking in dollars and accepting awards, I doubt she really cares. Fame and public opinion don't seem to matter to her, otherwise, she would've been trying to get her name in lights for years now. It's not like there's a dearth of opportunity for even lower rent reality opportunities (VH1, WE, Lifetime, etc) that she could've jumped on long before RHOA. The viewing audience's opinion doesn't really make a difference in her life, in fact, people talking solidifies her spot on the show which satisfies her true quest...free advertising and ratings for her to pitch more spinoffs. She probably doesn't give a fuck one way or another if people like her. She's one of the few reality tv personalities who doesn't get on social media and crow about how much she doesn't care about the haters, which is always a sure sign of said persons caring. She's about her money. The ones talking shit still bumped "No Scrubs" (and will sing along when it comes on the 5 o'clock ride mix) and put those dollars in her pocket. Those vibrators are still selling and whatever she decides to push next year will get a seasons' worth of free airtime.

Edited by sunsheyen
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Watermelon said:

Now that it's come up, I do wonder if it grinds Kandi's gears that most fans find her and her family unlikeable.  

But do they?  I know that the consensus on here is that Kandi/Kenya are horrible human beings.  But Andy refers to Kenya as one of the more popular housewives, and her paycheck is second only to Kandi's.  There has to be something that makes Bravo keep them around.  In Kenya's case, one can argue that its her ability to be an entertaining villain (for me at least).  I find Kenya hilarious, and in some ways, relateable, as I'm a woman of a certain age and education that wants a relationship but probably can't keep one due to my own demons.

But, Kandi on the other hand has always been pretty low key.....so they don't keep her around because she stirs up drama.  And not only do they keep her around, not only is she the highest paid HW, but they keep throwing specials at her, and she is CONSTANTLY able to feature her side businesses on the show.  I can't think of a season that didn't have Bedroom Kandi, or Kandi Koated Nights, or the play, or her doing a song with someone, and now the restaurant. Meanwhile, I barely hear a peep about Porsha's hair line or lingerie line.  I didn't even see much cross promotion with Dish Nation until the season with Claudia Jordan.

So, I have to think that Kandi gets all of that stuff because she is popular with fans. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Aging Goth said:

To clarify....  Yes, fame.  Kandi has no real other need to be on this show except for to get her name out there, reclaim the status she had years, past.  She has money, she has a complete family, right now it appears she wants for nothing but..... here she is.  Dealing with people she really don't like.  She even stated that she has NO friends on this show.  So why stay?  If her business is doing well, why stay?  Why was she so angry and hostile towards Nene?  and Now, why Porsha?  There's nothing else.

Nene went on the show and jetted from an unknown actress to a household name all over the world.  Even though some don't think so, she has also excelled in the fashion world.  She has been everywhere and when she was a name mentioned all the time Kandi couldn't stand the sight of her.  Nene even asked Kandi why she was so hostile towards her.  Nene succeeded where Kandi failed by starring in two broadway shows, having a clothing line that is now well known, and have starred on three major shows.

Porsha (the dumb one) whom she warned not to get into so many businesses, has also been on two major shows, has a permanent spot on Dish Nation, has two successful business projects, is a commentator on a major network new program and is getting recognized all over the country.

Kandi indeed does have more money the both Nene and Porsha combined.  She is the only person on RHOA who still has a husband (except Nene who left the show) so why is she still on this show?

I think there is one fundamental point that was probably overlooked her.  Why does Kandi want to be on this show unless she wants fame?  Money.  

A hustler like Kandi will always take extra money if the opportunity presents itself.  Not only does she get paid from this show, she also got a platform to launch a very successful business with Bedroom Kandi.  And I say that based on the fact that I've actually seen her products being sold by retailers.  She isn't running an internet only business, but a real, viable business with independent contractors that can rely on selling her products.  While it was in Atlanta, her play was also successful.  So not only is she the highest paid HW on the show, she is also getting money from her side business.

And not only that, this show is paying her crotchety old mother....which is basically like putting money in Kandi's pocket since Joyce won't be busy asking her for money.  It also draws a paycheck for Riley....and Todd....and now Ace.  These are all people that would have been reliant on Kandi's income, but now have income of their own....which again, is like money in Kandi's pocket.  Todd could work, and Kandi didn't want him to, but I bet she didn't want to have to completely pay his way.  Now she doesn't have to.

All of this extra money is like gravy on the mashed potatoes of Kandi's empire.

QVC is a great outlet, and certainly a lot of people make money selling their clothing on QVC.  But, the relative number of people that shop on QVC is pretty small, so I don't know if its a "well known" clothing line.  Nene Leakes is no Jessica Simpson.  At this point, she isn't even a Fergie.  And I know that Kandi's products get more distribution than Nene's clothing line.

Nene is probably one of the most popular housewives, thats for sure....but has that really translated into long term success off the show?  While the role on Glee was awesome,  The New Normal was cancelled before the end of the first season, and Ryan Murphy is no longer interested since she went and made a fool of herself talking poorly about gay people.  Fashion Police is gone and those ratings were downright dismal.  I have no idea if she is still on that game show that I've never seen.  But she has fallen off the radar in a big way since leaving the show as far as I can tell.  She was the wicked stepmother in Cinderella, but that was like a two week engagement right before it closed IIRC.  I'm not sure if that counts as starring in a major Broadway play.  Not sure what the other broadway show is, unless you're counting Cirque?  

I have my doubts as to whether Kandi would have even really been interested in anything that Nene has done.  Maybe the Fashion Police thing.  But Kandi strikes me as someone who wants to be in control of her ventures.  She produced KK Nights, she started Bedroom Kandi, she was in charge of her play (which I thought did well in Atlanta, just couldn't sell tickets for a domestic tour).  Kandi hasn't shown much interest in pursuing a career in acting.

Now, I think Kenya would have sold her useless mother for a chance to have the opportunities that Nene had.  That is truth.  And I think she would make the absolute most out of any opportunity she had along those lines.  But I never got that feeling from Kandi.

What major news show is Porsha a contributor to?  I think Claudia Jordan was on CNN for a while as a commentator, but I hadn't heard anything about Porsha.  As for Porsha's other businesses.....I don't know, I'd want to see the receipts before I would declare either one a rousing success.

I think Dish Nation is a great opportunity for Porsha, but not because it has such a wide viewing audience.  But because I think it will open her up to casting agents, and she does really well on the show.  I certainly think it could turn into a big opportunity for her with a daytime talk show.

I heard about her guest appearance on Star, but what is this other major TV show she is going to be on?

• Love 6

You know the thing I used to like about Kandi is she seemed like the type of girl you could hang with.  I felt like you could be all like "sista gurl" with her and it would be cool.  I was also impressed with how humble she has been about her success.

The thing is it would be all good, until Kandi would introduce me to her momma.  MJ would give me the stink eye, claim that I was after Kandi's money, and then say I was trying to steal Todd.

I would complain about this shit and Kandi would be like "Gurrrrl, you know how my momma is like..." and not do anything.

Then one day MJ probably meet me in the streets with the Old Lady Gang and challenge me to a fight, taking off their shoes...then the next day claim it was me who was attacking them.

This had really ruined Kandi's appeal from me and probably is having a huge impact on her popularity in my opinion.

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, qtpye said:

You know the thing I used to like about Kandi is she seemed like the type of girl you could hang with.  I felt like you could be all like "sista gurl" with her and it would be cool.  I was also impressed with how humble she has been about her success.

The thing is it would be all good, until Kandi would introduce me to her momma.  MJ would give me the stink eye, claim that I was after Kandi's money, and then say I was trying to steal Todd.

I would complain about this shit and Kandi would be like "Gurrrrl, you know how my momma is like..." and not do anything.

Then one day MJ probably meet me in the streets with the Old Lady Gang and challenge me to a fight, taking off their shoes...then the next day claim it was me who was attacking them.

This had really ruined Kandi's appeal from me and probably is having a huge impact on her popularity in my opinion.

I don't know.  I have parents that don't always behave as well as they could, but I love them dearly and would defend and protect them no matter what.

I get the impression a lot of people have this sort of relationship as regards their parents but maybe not.

Just to be clear though, neither of my parents would take off their shoes to defend my honor or whatever.  Nor do my parents listen to "the streets."

• Love 3
9 hours ago, RealReality said:

But do they?  I know that the consensus on here is that Kandi/Kenya are horrible human beings.  But Andy refers to Kenya as one of the more popular housewives, and her paycheck is second only to Kandi's.  There has to be something that makes Bravo keep them around.  In Kenya's case, one can argue that its her ability to be an entertaining villain (for me at least).  I find Kenya hilarious, and in some ways, relateable, as I'm a woman of a certain age and education that wants a relationship but probably can't keep one due to my own demons.

But, Kandi on the other hand has always been pretty low key.....so they don't keep her around because she stirs up drama.  And not only do they keep her around, not only is she the highest paid HW, but they keep throwing specials at her, and she is CONSTANTLY able to feature her side businesses on the show.  I can't think of a season that didn't have Bedroom Kandi, or Kandi Koated Nights, or the play, or her doing a song with someone, and now the restaurant. Meanwhile, I barely hear a peep about Porsha's hair line or lingerie line.  I didn't even see much cross promotion with Dish Nation until the season with Claudia Jordan.

So, I have to think that Kandi gets all of that stuff because she is popular with fans. 

I think they do.  I don't think Kandi is a horrible human being. I think she's annoying and suffers from short person syndrome. I think her mother is a horrible human being. And the way she always seems shocked about people not loving her shitty family members leads me to believe she thought her mom would garner a reaction like, "oh joyce" with a sigh of resignation. Instead, most folks really don't like that old battle axe and I wonder is she disappointed she's one of maybe 5 people with positive feelings of the woman.

• Love 3
Just now, Watermelon said:

I think they do.  I don't think Kandi is a horrible human being. I think she's annoying and suffers from short person syndrome. I think her mother is a horrible human being. And the way she always seems shocked about people not loving her shitty family members leads me to believe she thought her mom would garner a reaction like, "oh joyce" with a sigh of resignation. Instead, most folks really don't like that old battle axe and I wonder is she disappointed she's one of maybe 5 people with positive feelings of the woman.

I guess the question would be if everyone else finds Kandi as annoying as the people on this board.  

I think she is pretty popular given that she isn't a designated villain like Kenya, but she still makes the highest salary, has had multiple spin-offs, and is allowed to promote every single business venture she has on the show.  

I don't think you make concessions like that for someone who isn't a draw for viewers.  And I don't think she is a draw because she brings drama or because she is a villain, so it would have to be because people like her.  Not people here per se, but maybe for the general viewing audience.

I always have to remember that there is a relatively small number of viewers who post to message boards or social media sites about the show.  The show brings in millions of viewers every week....if I were being generous I would say maybe 10,000 post on social media/message boards, thats what, like 1%?  Which means that the other 99% may feel differently from whats reflected on message boards and social media.

4 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I guess the question would be if everyone else finds Kandi as annoying as the people on this board.  

I think she is pretty popular given that she isn't a designated villain like Kenya, but she still makes the highest salary, has had multiple spin-offs, and is allowed to promote every single business venture she has on the show.  

I don't think you make concessions like that for someone who isn't a draw for viewers.  And I don't think she is a draw because she brings drama or because she is a villain, so it would have to be because people like her.  Not people here per se, but maybe for the general viewing audience.

I always have to remember that there is a relatively small number of viewers who post to message boards or social media sites about the show.  The show brings in millions of viewers every week....if I were being generous I would say maybe 10,000 post on social media/message boards, thats what, like 1%?  Which means that the other 99% may feel differently from whats reflected on message boards and social media.

it's possible...but..how am I supposed to work with that?  Most people I come across are indifferent to, or firmly dislike Kandi.  So I'm just going to have to stick with that.

• Love 1
Just now, Watermelon said:

it's possible...but..how am I supposed to work with that?  Most people I come across are indifferent to, or firmly dislike Kandi.  So I'm just going to have to stick with that.

I look at the way the show treats Kandi, because that seems like the most objective measure.

She doesn't bring villainy to the show the way Kenya does, so thats not a reason to pay her more money than everyone else.

So, why else would the show give her the biggest paycheck, multiple spin-offs, and leeway to promote every single project she can think of?  If its not because she is a necessary villain, it must be because people like her and she is a ratings draw.

I don't think you pay people that much money, unless they bring something to the show.  If she doesn't bring "villain" to the show, then she is bringing something else, which would be that the viewing audience responds positively to her.

• Love 3

I don't find her annoying. Joyce can be shipped off to Siberia for all I care, but I still like Kandi.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I look at the way the show treats Kandi, because that seems like the most objective measure.

She doesn't bring villainy to the show the way Kenya does, so thats not a reason to pay her more money than everyone else.

So, why else would the show give her the biggest paycheck, multiple spin-offs, and leeway to promote every single project she can think of?  If its not because she is a necessary villain, it must be because people like her and she is a ratings draw.

I don't think you pay people that much money, unless they bring something to the show.  If she doesn't bring "villain" to the show, then she is bringing something else, which would be that the viewing audience responds positively to her.

Or, she brings the 70 year old version of Kenya, a wedding, childbirth, ugly faces, and arguments(not fights).  She's worth her money. That doesn't make her likeable. 

You like her. Great. Some people like her. Sure. Plenty of people don't, and those people have social media. So my question stands. She's not getting a positive reaction on twitter. I wondered if it bothered her. That's all.

1 minute ago, Watermelon said:

Or, she brings the 70 year old version of Kenya, a wedding, childbirth, ugly faces, and arguments(not fights).  She's worth her money. That doesn't make her likeable. 

You like her. Great. Some people like her. Sure. Plenty of people don't, and those people have social media. So my question stands. She's not getting a positive reaction on twitter. I wondered if it bothered her. That's all.

Well, if the vast majority of the audience likes that, than its likable enough for the network to give her those concessions, and the biggest paycheck.

I never said I liked Kandi.  However, I think its probably illogical to assume that she is not liked by the vast majority of the audience simply because people on social media/message boards don't like her.  Especially when there is strong evidence to contradict that.

I doubt it much bothers her since she remains on the show in spite of the fact that she doesn't financially need the show.  She has probably developed a relatively thick skin from her time with Xscape and all the controversy surrounding that.  And, she has to know that people who post on social media represent a very small minority of overall viewers.  

• Love 3

Thing is people like Kenya too but that doesn't make her any more likable by the masses.  This is also true about Kandi this and last season.  She was always seen as a "fence sitter" by most and then how she treated her "friend" Phaedra, and with her mother's antics, she lost favor several seasons ago. 

It only got worse for her when she tried to make the OLG happen with their own series, with one of the Aunts having a cooking show, or with this restaurant.  Her family was most unsavory and her reluctance to keep them in check or at least let them know how they were coming off, lost her favor

And now, after warning Phaedra about Nene, Kandi does exactly what she claimed Nene would do; put all Phaedra's business out there, yet expecting her glass house to not be touched.  She is now almost as bad as Keny in her vindictiveness  thus why she is now mostly unlikable.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Aging Goth said:

Thing is people like Kenya too but that doesn't make her any more likable by the masses.  This is also true about Kandi this and last season.  She was always seen as a "fence sitter" by most and then how she treated her "friend" Phaedra, and with her mother's antics, she lost favor several seasons ago. 

It only got worse for her when she tried to make the OLG happen with their own series, with one of the Aunts having a cooking show, or with this restaurant.  Her family was most unsavory and her reluctance to keep them in check or at least let them know how they were coming off, lost her favor

And now, after warning Phaedra about Nene, Kandi does exactly what she claimed Nene would do; put all Phaedra's business out there, yet expecting her glass house to not be touched.  She is now almost as bad as Keny in her vindictiveness  thus why she is now mostly unlikable.

I think there is a confusion between the two points.  There are fans for every single cast member on the show that will speak up and out for them on social media.  But social media isn't always a great barometer of how the majority of people actually feel.  Especially when you're talking about 1% of people who are probably more passionate than the average viewer and want to post on social media and message boards.  For example, on social media there are a TON of people who adore Trump, but in reality, he has the lowest favorability rating of any newly elected president.  But, there are a relatively small number of people who want to flood every social media site with pro-Trump messaging.  The view presented on social media doesn't necessarily reflect the views shared by the majority.

Now, Kenya has always been presented as a villain, and that is the value she brings to the show.  Andy says she is one of the most popular housewives, and that may be so, he would know better than I.  However, since Kenya is a villain, she is meant to be unlikable.  She is paid very well to be the villain, reportedly with the second highest paycheck out of any of the housewives.  But that is not the situation that Kandi is in.

When you say she "lost favor," I don't understand what you're basing this off of.  I would look at the way Bravo has actually treated her to determine her likability since she clearly isn't on the show to be a villain.  When Bravo keeps handing you the highest paychecks and keeps giving you a bunch of stuff, they are doing so because you bring in viewers.  If you're not bringing in viewers because you're a villain, then you are bringing in viewers because you are popular or likable.

You have done a great job of detailing why Kandi is unlikable for you.  But your feelings and opinions are not necessarily shared by the majority of the viewing audience.  Maybe they are, but it seems unlikely given that Bravo keeps giving her the biggest paycheck, spinoffs, and the opportunity to pimp every single project she has going.

By contrast, I haven't heard barely a peep on the show about Porsha's hair line, or her lingerie line.  I haven't even heard about Dish Nation since Claudia was on the show.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

Porsha knocked Kenya the fuck out but like someone with no sense or upbringing she keeps going after Porsha. We've seen (as someone said upthread) when you don't respond to Kenya with violence then she becomes violent eg Kim Fields chair pulling incident. 

Kenya is a commoner trying to pretend she's royal. Sad, lonely woman who can't accept her time having come and gone.

This is exactly why I was so harsh on Porsha for putting hands on Kenya. The moment you react to a situation worse than the provocateur, the attention is no longer focused on the pathetic behaviour of the provocateur, the attention moves almost exclusively to the person who did something stupid in retaliation. That's not to say that  one wasn't more wrong than the other, just means that both are wrong in some capacity. Oddly enough, the only situation where I felt Kenya may not have been the instigator is her initial feud with Nene where Nene got on her ass because she picked up her friend at the airport and ended up arriving late to her party. It was a petty reason to extend such negativity between the two (though in later episodes I could see that Nene ain't playing around with people who show up late to her invitations) and yet with all of that, Kenye was thirsty for any type of civility with Nene.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Oddly enough, the only situation where I felt Kenya may not have been the instigator is her initial feud with Nene

What about when Kenya put hands on Nene at that all white event? She essentially chased Nene around whatever event that was demanding Nene pay attention to her. 

IMO she's a horrible person. If she were just doing this for the cameras that would be one thing but she brings this shit into people's real lives. It wouldn't surprise me if her dogs ate her face off in her sleep someday.

Edited by Drumpf1737
2 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

What about when Kenya put hands on Nene at that all white event? She essentially chased Nene around whatever event that was demanding Nene pay attention to her. 

Be a cheerleader for her if you want but she's a horrible person. If she were just doing this for the cameras that would be one thing but she brings this shit into people's real lives. It wouldn't surprise me if her dogs ate her face off in her sleep someday.

How does she bring things into peoples lives anymore than the very concept of reality TV does?

I mean, arguably, all of this is based on people's real life so there is bound to be some spill over.  But I think thats the hazard when you sign up to be on a reality show.

But what is she doing to bring havoc to people's lives outside of the show?  They all have twitter and social media beefs at different times, but is there something she is doing outside of the show that is specifically worse than everyone else?  I don't keep up with various blogs so there may be stuff out there I'm unaware of?

4 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

Be a cheerleader for her if you want but she's a horrible person. If she were just doing this for the cameras that would be one thing but she brings this shit into people's real lives. It wouldn't surprise me if her dogs ate her face off in her sleep someday.

How am I being a cheerleader for her? I've gone on record to say several times that I find Kenya to be a pathetic person and her behaviour is absolutely disgusting to me. And I said that Kenya has been the instigator in ALL BUT ONE of her beefs that I could think of. That's hardly being a cheerleader I think. 

• Love 2
On 2/3/2017 at 2:50 PM, Watermelon said:

What's XTC?

I love XTC, British rock band that started in the 70's... I probably should be more into Escape since they are of my era and I fit their target audience (I guess).  But I'd take XTC any day!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, roseslg said:

I love XTC, British rock band that started in the 70's... I probably should be more into Escape since they are of my era and I fit their target audience (I guess).  But I'd take XTC any day!

LOL.  I saw that, but didn't think anyone else would get the reference so I let it go.  :)

No reason why you can't love both.   At one time I had Alec Empire, the Famines, Duran Duran, outkast, e40, lil Wayne and Britney spears on my workout mp3.  :)

On 1/30/2017 at 7:43 AM, imjagain said:

It's a small thing, but I found it interesting that Kandi didn't let Cynthia or Sheree know about the white party theme. 

I am responding before I lose this in all the posts, so it might have been addressed.  It wasn't just Cynthia and Sheree.  There were others there that didn't really make it to the viewer's attention.  I saw someone in the background, listening and nodding to what was being said, dressed up fancy and looking like she belonged but she was wearing black.  This wasn't anyone that I recognize, though for all I know she might have been at one of their parties before.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:21 AM, AndySmith said:

I don't find her annoying. Joyce can be shipped off to Siberia for all I care, but I still like Kandi.

I like Kandi more this season than I have liked her in a long time. I think Phaedra and Porsha are completely full of shit, so I am living for Kandi calling a spade a spade with them.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Eater of Worlds said:

IIt wasn't just Cynthia and Sheree [not wearing white at the shower]. There were others there that didn't really make it to the viewer's attention.  I saw someone in the background, listening and nodding to what was being said, dressed up fancy and looking like she belonged but she was wearing black.  

Don Juan was probably the one in charge of making sure they got "the white memo." 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

I like Kandi more this season than I have liked her in a long time. I think Phaedra and Porsha are completely full of shit, so I am living for Kandi calling a spade a spade with them.

Kandi's taking no prisoners! It's about time she's making backstabbers like Porsha and Phaedra more accountable for their "running mouths!" I was wondering when Kandi would snap and let it all hang out! Phaedra's brought all this on herself being the most disingenuous piece of crap on the show! Sheree's lower than dirt, but she's not pretending to be something she isn't! All are gossiping "mean girls" that if they have to make up stuff, they'll do it with little concern about the consequences! phaedra-parks.jpg

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Jamie Satyr said:

Kandi's taking no prisoners! It's about time she's making backstabbers like Porsha and Phaedra more accountable for their "running mouths!" I was wondering when Kandi would snap and let it all hang out! Phaedra's brought all this on herself being the most disingenuous piece of crap on the show! Sheree's lower than dirt, but she's not pretending to be something she isn't! All are gossiping "mean girls" that if they have to make up stuff, they'll do it with little concern about the consequences! phaedra-parks.jpg

Wouldn't that also be true about Kenya as well? She does that same thing, spew rumors, half truths and outright lies about the others on a regular basis but because Kandi hasn't been on the receiving end it seems she is ok with Kenya doing it to others. LOL

• Love 5