Type keyword(s) to search

Superior Donuts - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/12/2018 at 10:01 PM, roseha said:

So the show was pre-empted tonight?  Is it moving time slots or something?

Spring always has more reruns and rerun preemptions due to the time they have to fill.

Episode 16:

"Friends Without Benefits"

Franco's girlfriend begins to wonder if he still has feelings for Sofia when he turns to her for advice. Also, Fawz dons a disguise and goes undercover to try and catch the culprit who's been stealing from one of his restaurants.

Airs March 26, 2018.

• Love 1

Episode 17:

"Balls and Streaks"

Arthur, a Cubs super-fan, is determined to break the consecutive attendance record for Opening Day games, but when he finds himself without a ticket, he’s left scrambling for a way into Wrigley Field for the first time in 43 years.

Airs April 9, 2018.

Episode 18:

"Pedal to the Meddle"

Arthur’s offer to teach Franco to drive hits a speed bump when a cop catches Arthur with an expired license. Also, Tush prepares to attend a princely wedding for his friend Harry.

Airs April 16, 2018.

• Love 1

Great shout out to the classic "taxi" reverend Jim takes his driving test scene with Arthur fussing that he "knows what the yellow light means". Loved it 

Oh, and stillhere1900....when I was learning to drive a LONG time ago, my dad told me, a 3 point turn is a fancy way of saying a U-Turn when u ain't got enough room : u swing out right before u start your U, then go left to circle it around but don't have the room to finish, so  u got to stop, reverse , back up then put in drive to complete the turn.

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Let me guess, @stillhere1900, you either live in New York City (and/or don't drive) or you live some place where a lot of common American expressions are not used, right? Anyway: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_turn 

I live in Denver. Not sure if it's a place where "common American expressions are used or not"

17 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Great shout out to the classic "taxi" reverend Jim takes his driving test scene with Arthur fussing that he "knows what the yellow light means". Loved it 

Oh, and stillhere1900....when I was learning to drive a LONG time ago, my dad told me, a 3 point turn is a fancy way of saying a U-Turn when u ain't got enough room : u swing out right before u start your U, then go left to circle it around but don't have the room to finish, so  u got to stop, reverse , back up then put in drive to complete the turn.

Thank you

Episode 19:

"The Icemen Cometh"

With ICE agents conducting raids uptown, Sofia turns to Franco for help hiding her undocumented brother, Rafael, who faces deportation to Colombia. Also, Tush decides it's time to give up his daily sugar rush.

Airs April 30, 2018.

I recently heard someone call it a K turn.

I didn't like the slapsticky over the top parts of this one (ICE)

, and I don't like what they're turning Tush into, especially with how he treats Sofia.  And then she always makes the same reaction face.  I'd start to get tired of this if it wasn't that I found most of the actors so appealing!  

• Love 2

I liked this episode. I was worried they were going to find the brother so I'm happy he managed to get away. Franco's fear of the basement is adorable, heh. 

51 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Franco's fear of the basement is adorable

And Arthur seems to think it's spooky too.
The Franco American line was funny.
And Arthur saying he'd never seen Faw's birth certificate was a great ironic use of that claim.

But I just don't love the show the way I did the first season.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But I just don't love the show the way I did the first season.

Me either. I think they are getting too preachy without the funny.

But I was intrigued by those Crunchie Munchie donuts on the rack. Dunkin used to make a similar looking one called Butternut that I loved, but I guess no one else did.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jobiska said:

The basement reminds me...what WAS that pile of raccoon skins, if not a pile of raccoon skins?  yikes!

I had thought it was the undocumented brother under a raccoon coat, but then it turned out he wasn't even in the basement.

Episode 20:

"Broken Art"

Fresh off making the Dean’s List, Franco decides to apply for a prestigious art fellowship, but in order to win a semester studying in Italy, he must compete with his girlfriend, Tavi. Also, Randy gets more than she bargains for when she hires Tush as her personal assistant.

Airs May 7, 2018.

I also liked season 1 better then season 2 but I thought the show be saved. I  liked Maya over Sophia.  I still wish there could have been an ending. Like Arthur having to retire and deciding if he would leave the store to Franco or sell the store (space) to Fawz. Of Franco deciding to leave the store for a paid art related job. 

• Love 1

I liked the show, and I liked S2 more than S1. I agree that the addition of Diane G's character to replace the blonde student from S1 helped. I don't mind issue oriented shows. They remind me of All In The Family and other Norman Lear sitcoms from the 1970s.

It's been a brutal week for cancellations. It feels like hardly anything is coming back. I might watch less TV, which would probably be a good thing, but I've been enjoying my unpopular shows....

• Love 2
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, last year I was all over the Save Our Show-type surveys, voting for this show, but not this year. And I cannot put my finger on what changed 

Well for one we lost the fantastic student for a dull love interest food truck owner. Then we lost the cop partner. Say what you will, but those two were a huge part of the show.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

Well for one we lost the fantastic student for a dull love interest food truck owner. Then we lost the cop partner. Say what you will, but those two were a huge part of the show.

Maybe, but I think it's more that they replaced the 2 characters who were most poorly drawn with the 2 new characters who were not well written either—with maybe the episode that dealt with immigration being the exception.

BTW, I looked at the writing credits, but the variations in writers don't seem significant. There's more difference in directors, FWIW.

Maybe it's me. I was not amused by the "running gag" of Sofia making her exit with some kind of don't-let-the-door-hit-you-on-the-way-out comment following. And Tush's humiliating jobs did not amuse either.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe, but I think it's more that they replaced the 2 characters who were most poorly drawn with the 2 new characters who were not well written either—with maybe the episode that dealt with immigration being the exception.

BTW, I looked at the writing credits, but the variations in writers don't seem significant. There's more difference in directors, FWIW.

Maybe it's me. I was not amused by the "running gag" of Sofia making her exit with some kind of don't-let-the-door-hit-you-on-the-way-out comment following. And Tush's humiliating jobs did not amuse either.

Right but if it was about cost cutting, you could have given Maya a few episodes to wrap up her story (and work around her broadway duties) and have the cop partner appear in the episodes leading up to the shooting episode. Then around that time is when the Art professor and love interest showed up. Both characters get s chance to wrap up their stories and flesh em out a bit more and then you move on to the art stuff.

I’m disappointed, because CBS could certainly afford to keep this good show, instead they will undoubtably replace it with another bland sitcom that will be gone in six months anyway.

I will say that if the show somehow got picked up by, say, Netflix, I would rejoin there.

Good luck to the fine cast.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roseha said:

I’m disappointed, because CBS could certainly afford to keep this good show, instead they will undoubtably replace it with another bland sitcom that will be gone in six months anyway.

I will say that if the show somehow got picked up by, say, Netflix, I would rejoin there.

Good luck to the fine cast.

I think the feeling is CBS is cutting back an hour of comedies.

Episode 21:

"Donut Day Afternoon"

An armed robbery at the donut shop prompts Arthur, Franco and Sofia to make life-changing decisions about their futures.

Airs May 14, 2018.

• Love 1

That was a good finale, I thought, everyone was involved, even Sweatpants.

Ironically it works pretty well as a series finale, sadly.  I hope the show gets repeated on some streaming servce or channel.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, roseha said:

That was a good finale, I thought, everyone was involved, even Sweatpants.

Ironically it works pretty well as a series finale, sadly.  I hope the show gets repeated on some streaming servce or channel.

The fact that it was the series finale made it work better. I hate the trope that there's a major change to the premise or main character but it's reversed somehow.

Faz bought the shop. If the show came back, would the sale not have gone through? Would Arthur have changed his mind about seeing the world? 

I enjoyed the episode but I'm sad it's the last one. 

I really want to know what it'll be like now having Faz own the shop. And how long he'll keep it before turning it into something else. I'm also sad Arthur sold it general. 

• Love 1

I found it kind of depressing that the shop sold to someone who wants to demolish it, just as Franco and Tush committed to working there. And Arthur selling it without even telling them he was going to do it? Cold. I think I would have been happier just letting the last episode be business as usual, and we could imagine them all continuing even as the show didn't keep showing us their lives. They all seemed happy and on a good path until the last scene. Now they're left in uncertainty and probably being dispersed when the shop is demolished and they no longer have a place to hang out together every day. Sad ending for a generally light-hearted, feel-good show.

• Love 5

It felt more like a season one episode in the ways that those episodes were more cohesive and well constructed.

I agree with @possibilities ^^ that it had some depressing feelings too, but maybe Sofia will sell her healthy foods in the store as part of Fawz's upscale vision—maybe alongside gourmet donuts made by Tush—with Franco's artwork for sale on the walls.

• Love 1

So sad to hear this show is cancelled. :(   I will miss all of the characters. So glad Sofia and Franco got together in the end!   And Arthur will have a chance to enjoy traveling instead of working so hard at his age....

I had no idea the show was cancelled. :( I'm bummed. The cast had great chemistry. I hate that it had to end on such a precarious note, with Fawz owning the shop. At least Franco and Sofia got together. I will miss my light-hearted Monday nights at the shop.

• Love 7