Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Taken

Drogo

Once again, a drug lord this time wants revenge on some retired operative so badly that the business of business means nothing to him as he leads the mission to get revenge against Bryan Mills. In this case by killing his sister while hiding it as a terrorist attack on a train. Meanwhile some super secret small spy agency that answers directly to the President and makes the FBI and CIA bow down to them watches an army of his hitmen go after the Mills family and for most of the show acts as cleaners so local police or other agencies don't investigate the bodies dropping and get in the way of Mills's audition.

Finally a special forces team drops down to help Mills, and by now the drug lord is down to his B-Team of mooks so they make short work of them and shoot Bryan to stop him from killing the prisoner drug lord who can tell us stuff. So now instead of being a special forces soldier in Afghanistan and in Latin America helping the Drug Enforcement Agency he is recruited to bring his special set of skills to a new unit that violates civil rights and has Sergeant Grey from The Unit as one of its troopers. 

By the half hour the twist were turning to fast and hard to explain why Mills isn't just CIA or FBI. But now that is out of the way as a prequel with a known team following the future dad maybe a team dynamic will happen as he doesn't have to gofor it  alone

Edited by Raja

I guess this show isn't a continuation of the movie version but sort of remake that shows how Byran acquired his "set of skills" - LOL.

I kept looking at that face and finally it dawned me that it was Rollo from The Vikings.  It hard to believe that a beard and short hair changes an appearance so much but it does.  

At first I tried to place the series in the movie and wasn't getting anywhere - is it before Byran meets Lenore and they have Kim?  Is it after Lenore is dead and Kim has a baby?  Finally I decided Lenore and Kim, past or future, are not part of the series.  I want to like it because I like Clive Standen, but we'll see.

• Love 1

It is a prequel. Just figure the movie is actually in the future but for some reason with technology from 10 years ago. The thing is he already has his set of skills he is just joining the team of his golf playing veterans that the movies showed us.

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

It is a prequel. Just figure the movie is actually in the future but for some reason with technology from 10 years ago. The thing is he already has his set of skills he is just joining the team of his golf playing veterans that the movies showed us.

I could go with a prequel if he was several years younger. 

• Love 1

Okay, this is my new favorite show. Yeah, it was a stretch how the tapped phone transmitted every minute sound, like a silencer being attached to a gun. But whatever. It also was nice to see Jennifer Beals away from Doctor T.C., although that show has been renewed. Anyway, I loved the fast action and thrill a minute, plus the lead gets shot, TWICE! and ends up in the hospital instead of running off to his next assignment. (Although he did run pretty well after getting shot through the leg, but whatever.) I might change my mind if it's going to turn into another crime-of-the-week procedural. But this first ep ROCKED.

• Love 3

So, saber5055, I just came here to say the same thing.  This is definitely my new favorite show.  The way the lead talks does remind me of how Liam spoke in the movies.  I liked the action and, I am hesitant to admit this, I actually shed a tear when the sister died.  I'm in.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Raja said:

Meanwhile some super secret small spy agency that answers directly to the President and makes the FBI and CIA bow down to them watches an army of his hitmen go after the Mills family and for most of the show acts as cleaners so local police or other agencies don't investigate the bodies dropping

I'm not sure if you meant this as a criticism, or just an observation, but for me it was definitely a drawback.  It defied enough probability that I almost stopped watching.

How close the actor came to the feel and sound of the original movie character was very impressive, and I enjoyed that enough that I'm willing to watch a second episode. 

It does seem to have more of a remake feel, like the Lethal Weapon tv series, than a prequel, though.

11 hours ago, Mari said:

I'm not sure if you meant this as a criticism, or just an observation, but for me it was definitely a drawback.  It defied enough probability that I almost stopped watching.

How close the actor came to the feel and sound of the original movie character was very impressive, and I enjoyed that enough that I'm willing to watch a second episode. 

It does seem to have more of a remake feel, like the Lethal Weapon tv series, than a prequel, though.

The single minded civil rights violating government agents had me going here we go again. I just hope they don't go as far as Chicago PD or Hawaii 5-0 and just start beating and killing arrested suspects.

I think it feels more like a remake because the movie is set in the past. However Mills was retired  and his crew was also off playing golf in the movies when asked to help with Bryan's daughter. But as an origin  it makes sense that he had that particular set of skills when recruited by the Presidential Black Ops group, I missed the name Director Flashdance gave it, that sounds like the set up of that Sharon Stone series Agent X.  The actor is too old to have him show us an 18 year old Bryan enlisting and developing his skill set like is being done on the MacGyver reboot...

(edited)

So, Fargo: The TV show

Rush Hour: The TV show

Lethal Weapon: The TV show

Training Day: The TV show

Van Helsing: The TV show (I don't care if it sucked, it counts!!)

and now this.

Anxiously awaiting  Fast and The Furious:  The TV show 

(Seriously, I'm joking.  If some TV exec is reading this and going "Hmmmmm." DON'T DO THIS!!!)

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 1
(edited)

I enjoyed this.  I'll keep the DVR recording it. Clive Standen was good and I'm interested in seeing how the team gels.   It doesn't really matter to me if it's a remake or whatever.  The way I see it these shows are like those ones "inspired by true events" that take plenty of liberties with the true events.  Except these inspired by other fictional stories and take liberties with the original stories. 

Re:  His hair - it looks like he's got a different haircut in the coming attractions they showed at the end of the episode so I think they've upgraded his hairstyle a little after the pilot. :)

Edited by tessathereaper
4 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

and now this.

Don't forget Limitless, Frequency, and the upcoming Time After Time.

• Love 1

I heard a TV critic on the radio who said this is going to turn into a crime-of-the-week procedural with Liam on the "team," so big bummer to that. He also discussed movies being made into TV shows as being the new "thing," probably because of Fargo. But whatever I guess. I saw the original Taken movie but do not remember Liam's name or anything else that could relate to this show. The critic did say this is a prequel to the movie, and he slammed it for the lead already having his "particular set of skills." To me it doesn't matter since I did in no way relate it to the movie. They just made the mistake of naming it "Taken." Big turn off to so many, and will result in too much needless comparison of TV vs. movie. I still think the non-stop action rocked and I still loved this episode. And I hope that love continues. Please, I need a new favorite show!

I think it was ok. I like Jennifer Beals and Clive Staden, so I would watch it anyway. I don't care if Mills already has a set of skills, he was in Army, was in the war, worked with DEA, so he is supposed to have skills, right?  I've watched only the first Taken movie, and  I don't come with any preconceived ideas about the show. I don't miss Liam Neeson either. We'll see if the show lasts enough.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I heard a TV critic on the radio who said this is going to turn into a crime-of-the-week procedural with Liam on the "team," so big bummer to that. He also discussed movies being made into TV shows as being the new "thing," probably because of Fargo. But whatever I guess. I saw the original Taken movie but do not remember Liam's name or anything else that could relate to this show. The critic did say this is a prequel to the movie, and he slammed it for the lead already having his "particular set of skills." To me it doesn't matter since I did in no way relate it to the movie. They just made the mistake of naming it "Taken." Big turn off to so many, and will result in too much needless comparison of TV vs. movie. I still think the non-stop action rocked and I still loved this episode. And I hope that love continues. Please, I need a new favorite show!

Besides if anything I think the critic is showing his ignorance.  Mills has SOME skills and good instincts in the pilot but that's it.  He's nothing near the level he was in the films.  This is the start of him starting to level up. :)

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:27 AM, Twilight Man said:

and now this.

Anxiously awaiting  Fast and The Furious:  The TV show 

(Seriously, I'm joking.  If some TV exec is reading this and going "Hmmmmm." DON'T DO THIS!!!)

+ Minority Report

Uncle Buck

Its disturbing how lacking in originality Hollywood is. (I know some would say they've never been original, because all they do is tell old stories just "bigger & louder".)

• Love 2

Huh.  Despite myself, I liked this.  I had it on on background noise but got sucked in.

The fight sequences and action sequences are very well done.  The scene in the house when Bryan lies in wait for them to come get him in his own home was especially good.

Both Jennifer Beals and Gaius Charles, whom I've seen normally play much softer characters, really sell the cool operator characters they are now.  Beals is especially good as the cool as a cucumber leader and Charles does menace very menacingly. LOL.

Read that Luc Besson himself is a producer and involved in the show, probably why the action sequences look so good.

I think I am in.

• Love 2

I hated the ending. Why, exactly, would he be motivated to work with the group who has proven to him that they don't care about justice OR people? They're just government shills. He's hardwired to help people... so go help people. The government doesn't do that.

• Love 2

Me

and now this.

Syracuse Mug

Don't forget Limitless, Frequency, and the upcoming Time After Time.

Kimmel77

+ Minority Report

Uncle Buck

10 years ago, with America being in a small recession, and movie-goers being slightly reluctant to go to as many movies as before, the big movie companies decided to take classic TV shows and turn them into movies.  The logic was that with the familiar characters, concept, and overall nostalgia factor, movie-goers would be more inclined to watch these movies than risk "investment" in something unfamiliar.  Likewise, today, the "prime" networks (I realize not all of the above were on one of the "prime" networks) face heavy competition from cable and premium channels (as well as "live" television itself facing competition from online streaming and other sources).  The solution (to them anyway) is to take movies and turn them into TV shows.  The solution, IMO, however, sometimes can fall flat since you are attempting to keep individuals entertained for much longer than a mere two hours.

If someone shoots me and then invites me to join them, I'd throw my hospital jello at said person and then threaten to empty my catheter bag all over them if they don't get the eff out of my room.

• Love 2

I think it's safe to say people who join organizations like this probably aren't the most mentally sensible of all beings. :)  They probably all have their issues that brought them to this organization, which we'll find out in coming episodes.

On 2/28/2017 at 9:05 AM, Evagirl said:

I could go with a prequel if he was several years younger. 

This.  I'm not sure if it is the ridiculous, unkempt stubble or the aged appearance of the actor, but to me the trailers were hilarious because the sister looked young enough to be his daughter. They should have gone with a younger actor/character to make it more believable as a prequel.

If that is what they're going for. Maybe they're aiming for an alternative universe/life for Bryan Mills.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2017 at 8:06 AM, DearEvette said:

Both Jennifer Beals and Gaius Charles, whom I've seen normally play much softer characters, really sell the cool operator characters they are now.  Beals is especially good as the cool as a cucumber leader and Charles does menace very menacingly. LOL.

I like it too. Not so much for the Bryan Mills character but the set up and the badass team members.  I'm thinking Mills is a bit too emotional/hot headed and not so smart. A closed train compartment. 100 bystanders and he's going to take down an operative with a cup of coffee? And an unknown van with who knows how many shooters. Let's just have them take out the rest of his family.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:21 AM, rainsmom said:

I hated the ending. Why, exactly, would he be motivated to work with the group who has proven to him that they don't care about justice OR people? They're just government shills. He's hardwired to help people... so go help people. The government doesn't do that.

He's hardwired to help people.....no matter what. If it weren't for the no matter what , he would not have risked the lives of 100 bystanders on the train or the people at his sister's memorial to catch the "bad guys." Which is exactly the same thing that Hart's group does. Except their no matter what isn't going to be something he always agrees with like letting Mejia live to get intel.

As a spec ops operator he would be familiar with the concept of "for the greater good."  He's likely carried out assassinations that have nothing to do with justice, but with sacrificing the few to save the many (people). If Hart's group didn't care about people, they would have shot to kill him and saved themselves the hassle instead of offering him a job.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2017 at 9:02 AM, Raja said:

It is a prequel. Just figure the movie is actually in the future but for some reason with technology from 10 years ago. 

So they didn't even make it a period piece set in the '80s or thereabouts? Good grief. 

On 3/4/2017 at 1:12 PM, Twilight Man said:

10 years ago, with America being in a small recession

Small?!?

I rewatched the pilot last night and liked it even better knowing what was going to happen. It also made me really appreciate Bryan being flat out in hospital bed after being shot (through no major organs) after Jennifer Beale rips out her tubes and jumps out of bed a few hours after SHE is shot through no major organs in the second episode, like a bullet hole through the body hurts less than breaking a finger nail. So, yeay to Bryan for keeping it real, at least in S1 E1. I did wonder why he said he was already dead when the bad guy had the gun to his head.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I did wonder why he said he was already dead when the bad guy had the gun to his head.

I imagine it was guilt over being responsible for his sister being killed.

On 2/28/2017 at 9:47 AM, Evagirl said:

I guess this show isn't a continuation of the movie version but sort of remake that shows how Byran acquired his "set of skills" - LOL.

I kept looking at that face and finally it dawned me that it was Rollo from The Vikings.  It hard to believe that a beard and short hair changes an appearance so much but it does.  

At first I tried to place the series in the movie and wasn't getting anywhere - is it before Byran meets Lenore and they have Kim?  Is it after Lenore is dead and Kim has a baby?  Finally I decided Lenore and Kim, past or future, are not part of the series.  I want to like it because I like Clive Standen, but we'll see.

To be fair, I think Brian Mills smiles more often than Rollo ever did.