Type keyword(s) to search

The End of Days: Speculation on Narrative

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

Since it is only about a month to go, I am still guessing that there will not be a big good-bye and that they will somehow schedule the reveal of Abby's killer on the last day on NBC and you have to go to Peacock the next day to see who it was. Since we saw that someone will be possessed again in January, I think whoever is possessed this time will just end Salem in a blaze of "glory." If they end the show on NBC with nice tie-ups of stories and characters, where will the Peacock show pick up? I don't think they care enough about the viewers who have been devoted forever to give them a nice ending.

Probably not. I wonder what Passions did as their finale (if anything) when they left NBC for DirecTV. I didn't follow the show after Justin Hartley left so I have no clue.

2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I saw the finale of GL I know that Billy/Vanessa got remarried(my favorite part of this), Buzz/Lillian got married, Alan dies. Josh/Reva were the final scene. There was even a cameo of Jeanne Cooper and Christian LeBlanc who played her boytoy. I don't recall a major party.

Course it was a long time ago.

My ideal ending would be Doug/Julie having the final scene in the Horton Living Room (yes I know Jarlena is more recognizable for younger fans but Doug/Julie put this show on the map and got the cover of Time) talking about all that has happened in their lives (recounting past storylines/romances) and how they believe that even though Grandpa Tom and Grandma Alice are gone they are still watching over all of us. Then they turn off the lights and the camera pans to an hourglass with MacDonald Carey's voiceover "As sand goes through the hourglass so do the Days of our Lives..." 

That being said I think the show will end in a random episode because I would legit be surprised after this move to Peacock they would be allowed to film a finale... 

Re: Guiding Light...I didn't really follow the show but I was basing that on Julianne Moore showing up for a cameo the final week of the show to celebrate her t.v. parents having an anniversary. God, wouldn't that be great if Jensen Ackles was able to show up for a cameo? (Surprisingly Days doesn't seem to have the track record of launching stars that GH, All My Children, Guiding Light, and As the World Turns seems to have.) 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Probably not. I wonder what Passions did as their finale (if anything) when they left NBC for DirecTV. I didn't follow the show after Justin Hartley left so I have no clue.

Re: Guiding Light...I didn't really follow the show but I was basing that on Julianne Moore showing up for a cameo the final week of the show to celebrate her t.v. parents having an anniversary. God, wouldn't that be great if Jensen Ackles was able to show up for a cameo? (Surprisingly Days doesn't seem to have the track record of launching stars that GH, All My Children, Guiding Light, and As the World Turns seems to have.) 

That was for ATWT(Julianne's cameo). However you have a point about Days not being the same launching pad although the ones I can think of that had success on Primetime TV are: Jensen Ackles, Charlotte Ross, Mike Farrell, Michael T. Weiss, and Eric Winter. There are probably others but the names escape me.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

That was for ATWT(Julianne's cameo). However you have a point about Days not being the same launching pad although the ones I can think of that had success on Primetime TV are: Jensen Ackles, Charlotte Ross, Mike Farrell, Michael T. Weiss, and Eric Winter. There are probably others but the names escape me.

Gloria Loring, technically (Liz Chandler). I believe she joined the show AFTER her prime time experience, though.

Loring, with then-husband Alan Thicke, wrote the theme songs for both "Diff'rent Strokes" and "The Facts of Life", of which I believe Loring sang. Of course, she had her hit song "Friends and Lovers" which became Shane and Kimberly's love song.

And Philece Sempler (Renée Dumonde DiMera) was apparently a big deal with voicing...I believe characters in video games, prior to her death. 

And don't forget Leanne Hunley's time on OG "Dynasty" and Thaao Penghlis in ABC's brief (well, two seasons) revival of "Mission Impossible" in the late 1980s.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Gloria Loring, technically (Liz Chandler). I believe she joined the show AFTER her prime time experience, though.

Loring, with then-husband Alan Thicke, wrote the theme songs for both "Diff'rent Strokes" and "The Facts of Life", of which I believe Loring sang. Of course, she had her hit song "Friends and Lovers" which became Shane and Kimberly's love song.

And Philece Sempler (Renée Dumonde DiMera) was apparently a big deal with voicing...I believe characters in video games, prior to her death. 

And don't forget Leanne Hunley's time on OG "Dynasty" and Thaao Penghlis in ABC's brief (well, two seasons) revival of "Mission Impossible" in the late 1980s.

Leanne also had a ton of Primetime TV work forgot about that. I do think Gloria's Days stint was after her glory days yes she sang the Facts of Life theme song which Alan composed.

• Love 2
On 8/10/2022 at 4:56 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

Richard Biggs (Babylon 5)

And would Deidra Hall count? She had that family show with Wilford Brimley. 🙂

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Richard Biggs (Babylon 5)

And would Deidra Hall count? She had that family show with Wilford Brimley. 🙂

Deidre Hall also did a guest stint during the famed "Dead Dog Records" arc on Wiseguy as the lover of Tim Curry's character. 

Lucky her, being surrounded by Curry and Ken Wahl.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wait, so current Renee isn't the only person to play the part..?

Current Renee?  You don't mean Sarah, do you?  She only thought she was long dead Renee.

6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Deidre Hall also did a guest stint during the famed "Dead Dog Records" arc on Wiseguy as the lover of Tim Curry's character. 

Lucky her, being surrounded by Curry and Ken Wahl.

The episodes are FINALLY available on YouTube's curated TV downloads (YouTube Movies & Shows).  Complete with music intact.   Click the "Watch on YT" or search Dead Dog Records.

Dee was Mrs Vincent Newquay (Tim Curry), has a memorable line or two, and departs the storyline arc in a very memorable way.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I mean the Renee from BS2....wait, she IS Renee right?

Philece Sampler portrayed Renee Dumond DiMera in the early 1980s.  She was famously killed off by Andre as a Salem Slasher victim after she reamed the entire town of Salem, person by person, at a glamorous party at the DiMera house on the lake.  Sarah Horton was infused with Renee's essence in the recent DOOL storyline.

Megan Hathaway was featured in BS2.

Cheryl Ann Wilson portrayed her in the mid-1980s.  She is now known as Miranda Wilson. She died after Larry Welch threw her against the wall in the spa area of Chris Kositchek's Body Connection gym. Her body was put in an electrified hot tub, which she had planned for Hope. No one except Larry Welch knew she was Stefano's daughter.  Stefano famously dressed in drag to secretly attend the funeral.  In later years, the ISA dossier on Stefano explained that Megan Hathaway was his daughter, and Joe Mascolo would mention her death in passing from time to time.   No one knew that she had been brought back to life until she masterminded the re-collection of the three prisms (which Shane had tossed into the Deep Atlantic to prevent Armageddon).

Philece Sampler died in 2021.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 1
On 8/9/2022 at 10:11 PM, methodwriter85 said:

As much as I love Jensen Ackles, it would be weird to have him come back if Greg Vaughn is still playing the role of Eric.  Almost all of the "big" names who went on to other things started in roles that have now been recast.  Charles Shaughnessy is the only one I can think of off the top of my head who wasn't.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

As much as I love Jensen Ackles, it would be weird to have him come back if Greg Vaughn is still playing the role of Eric.  Almost all of the "big" names who went on to other things started in roles that have now been recast.  Charles Shaughnessy is the only one I can think of off the top of my head who wasn't.  

He doesn't necessarily need to be around GV's Eric. When AMC aired their final episodes SMG made a cameo as a patient of Maria's who saw vampires.. Alicia Minshew was still Kendall but they didn't interact onscreen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

OLTL did something similar with OG Jessica Buchanan (Erin Torpey) appearing as a school teacher(?), I think, interacting with her first love Christian Vega.  Bree Williamson was still the recast Jessica. 

• Useful 1
Just now, tessaray said:

OLTL did something similar with OG Jessica Buchanan (Erin Torpey) appearing as a school teacher(?), I think, interacting with her first love Christian Vega.  Bree Williamson was still the recast Jessica. 

Yes I forgot about that.

Sorry, that would still be weird to me. I understand why it would be cool to do, and why other shows did it (I've never watched any of those other soaps), but I don't think I could fully accept it.  Just like newRex is still oldBrady and Alex is still Ben to me. It's all so strange. JMO, of course. Hopefully they could figure it out and do something that works. 

• Love 1

If and when it's really the end, for some it's more about  being a goodbye to the show and cast than maintaining that fourth wall. I can see the appeal of a sentimental episode that hits all the right notes too.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

It'll be total campy cringey cheesy "jokes". I dread it. It'll be no less insane than his April Fools episodes or his "special" streaming mini series. Or the Devil shit. Or mask shit.

Ron has killed this show.

If they have any brains they'd call Sherri now.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

It'll be total campy cringey cheesy "jokes". I dread it. It'll be no less insane than his April Fools episodes or his "special" streaming mini series. Or the Devil shit. Or mask shit.

Ron has killed this show.

If they have any brains they'd call Sherri now.

Different soap and different time, and probably, to a certain extent, a different Ron, but he did a beautiful, heartfelt ending to OLTL.  Many years now have passed but I have to give him that and I appreciated it greatly.

Going by what he puts onscreen these days, though, I doubt he still has it in him to do the same for DOOL.

• Love 3

I forgot which forum we were discussing the move to Peacock in. Did anyone get an email today about the 1999 for a year price. When I went to the website and tried to sign up I kept on getting all sorts of errors and couldn’t do it. 

On 8/18/2022 at 2:24 AM, boes said:

Different soap and different time, and probably, to a certain extent, a different Ron, but he did a beautiful, heartfelt ending to OLTL.  Many years now have passed but I have to give him that and I appreciated it greatly.

Going by what he puts onscreen these days, though, I doubt he still has it in him to do the same for DOOL.

The difference is Ron was a fan of OLTL before he became the head writer. He never watched Days before he got this job so he doesn't care about their history.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

The difference is Ron was a fan of OLTL before he became the head writer. He never watched Days before he got this job so he doesn't care about their history.

He didn't care that much about GH, either, but I really did get the feeling he loved One Life to Live. Honesty it was the only ABC soap that still had a heart despite the Fords and Andrew Trischitta's terrible, terrible acting. Erica Sleazak grounded her soap in a way that Susan Lucci wasn't capable of, and General Mob wouldn't allow Leslie Charleson to do.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Don't forget that Ron was part of the writing team for a long time before he got promoted to headwriter.  I did like his writing for One Life to Live before he went the rapemance route between Todd and Marty and I could never forgive him for that.. To be fair the show's fascination with Todd a man who led a gang rape on a woman was always problematic and it predates Ron taking over as headwriter..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
On 8/29/2022 at 11:15 PM, Pearson80 said:

Don't forget that Ron was part of the writing team for a long time before he got promoted to headwriter.  I did like his writing for One Life to Live before he went the rapemance route between Todd and Marty and I could never forgive him for that.. To be fair the show's fascination with Todd a man who led a gang rape on a woman was always problematic and it predates Ron taking over as headwriter..

Thankfully that was retconned by the Two Todds. Too bad Susan Haskell wasn't around to realize that she was not, in fact, re-raped by Todd.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Thankfully that was retconned by the Two Todds. Too bad Susan Haskell wasn't around to realize that she was not, in fact, re-raped by Todd.

I don't think that she would have agreed to do the story.  She put her foot down when Malone wanted to pair Todd with Marty.  That is just vile..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I don't think that she would have agreed to do the story.  She put her foot down when Malone wanted to pair Todd with Marty.  That is just vile..

But she did do it with TSJ as Todd.  I think what let her agree was the fact that Marty had amnesia.  But as was mentioned above, a short time later, RH came back as Real Todd. And IIRC, had a weirded out reaction to the idea of being with Marty. Marty had left again by that time, though.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:24 AM, boes said:

He knew OLTL.  DOOL isn't his soap so he doesn't have a sense of how the plane should be landed. But there have been so many changes and focus on the wrong people that happened before even he started, the show has so few touchstones.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But she did do it with TSJ as Todd.  I think what let her agree was the fact that Marty had amnesia.  But as was mentioned above, a short time later, RH came back as Real Todd. And IIRC, had a weirded out reaction to the idea of being with Marty. Marty had left again by that time, though.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:24 AM, boes said:

I could have sworn that it was the Marty recast that did the rapemance, I stand corrected. 

22 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

He knew OLTL.  DOOL isn't his soap so he doesn't have a sense of how the plane should be landed. But there have been so many changes and focus on the wrong people that happened before even he started, the show has so few touchstones.

Dena did a lot of damage to the show with her poison pen..

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Dena did a lot of damage to the show with her poison pen..

I still maintain the show should have invested in Nick and Gabi. I was so riveted by Blake Berris during his prison daddy storyline.

14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But there have been so many changes and focus on the wrong people that happened before even he started, the show has so few touchstones.

I can't even really think of this show having a "heart" like GH did before it became All Mob, All the Time, or All My Children had before the "Babe Is Love" era ruined it for good, because if I'm getting this right, the show never really turned back after they decided Marlena had the devil inside of her and Sami was the leading lady.

As a viewer since 1997, in my opinion, the closest they got to having "heart" was the Last Chance Blast era of the show, with Brady/Chloe at the center and them deciding to rip off Love Story and Brady getting to meet Angel Isabella. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 1

I actually loved Nike/Gabi before that was ruined. However I think Nick is better off dead because he's a Horton male and well it never ends well for them on this show.

17 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes but not before making her crazy over John McBain. However I do think they mitigated some of the damage when RH's Todd said how could you think I would do such a thing etc.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I still maintain the show should have invested in Nick and Gabi. I was so riveted by Blake Berris during his prison daddy storyline.

I can't even really think of this show having a "heart" like GH did before it became All Mob, All the Time, or All My Children had before the "Babe Is Love" era ruined it for good, because if I'm getting this right, the show never really turned back after they decided Marlena had the devil inside of her and Sami was the leading lady.

As a viewer since 1997, in my opinion, the closest they got to having "heart" was the Last Chance Blast era of the show, with Brady/Chloe at the center and them deciding to rip off Love Story and Brady getting to meet Angel Isabella. 

I really hated how they made Nick into a raging homophobe, it was hard to watch because Nick always felt like a fish out of water and I can't see him being so hateful to his own cousin. Nick made Chelsea tolerable because their romance was divine..

Babe and her horrid mother ruined the show for me. Not to mention, the unabortion  that asshole Ryan becoming the leading male and Erica boning him was a new low even for her.  Erica became such a hateful shrew during the last years of the show.  She no longer had any layers and was constantly bullying Maria just for kicks.. I could not stand Maria but Erica made me feel sorry for her with the constant harassment.  I clapped when Jack finally grew a backbone and left her for dust on the last episode.

The original possession storyline ruined the show and Sami should have never been the leading lady of her generation because it should have been Carrie.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 8/31/2022 at 8:28 PM, Pearson80 said:

The original possession storyline ruined the show and Sami should have never been the leading lady of her generation because it should have been Carrie.

Yes, it was tragic that the show lasted another 28 years after being ruined.  And that Christie Clark quit the show so she could raise a family, mostly overseas.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:28 PM, Pearson80 said:

Babe and her horrid mother ruined the show for me. Not to mention, the unabortion  that asshole Ryan becoming the leading male and Erica boning him was a new low even for her.  Erica became such a hateful shrew during the last years of the show.  She no longer had any layers and was constantly bullying Maria just for kicks.. I could not stand Maria but Erica made me feel sorry for her with the constant harassment.  I clapped when Jack finally grew a backbone and left her for dust on the last episode.

It's kind of a neck-in-neck tie between Unabortion on All My Children or "Jessie Buchanan was A Kiddie Porn Star" on One Life to Life as the most offensive retcons in soap opera history. I have to give it to Unabortion, though. At least the One Life to Life Tessica storyline gave us Nash, who was definitely one of the better leading men in the final ten years of the show. Unabortion gave us nothing. Colin Egglesfield was great to look at, but given that he was also in love with Babe (because Babe is Love, after all), I couldn't get too worked up about him.

The problem with Erica is that the show refused to let her grow up. It got pathetic after awhile. I'm not saying she had to become Marlena Evans or Vicki Lord but when she became a grandmother the show could have let go of Erica, 1980's Glamor Girl once and for all.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's kind of a neck-in-neck tie between Unabortion on All My Children or "Jessie Buchanan was A Kiddie Porn Star" on One Life to Life as the most offensive retcons in soap opera history. I have to give it to Unabortion, though. At least the One Life to Life Tessica storyline gave us Nash, who was definitely one of the better leading men in the final ten years of the show. Unabortion gave us nothing. Colin Egglesfield was great to look at, but given that he was also in love with Babe (because Babe is Love, after all), I couldn't get too worked up about him.

The problem with Erica is that the show refused to let her grow up. It got pathetic after awhile. I'm not saying she had to become Marlena Evans or Vicki Lord but when she became a grandmother the show could have let go of Erica, 1980's Glamor Girl once and for all.

I agree with everything you said.  All I'd add is that the odious Brian Frons and his gang of merry idiots also made little use of Julia Barr and her character, Brooke,  and then finally dismissed her without even a goodbye.  She was, IMO, the character, even more than Erica, who was by nature and by Julia's talented interpretation of that that character to be the heart of the show, much like Erika Slezak was on OLTL.  Opal, charming as she could be, was too flaky to fill that spot and Erica was too juvenile.  Ditching Brooke was another of the show's many latter fatal mistakes.

Edited by boes
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2022 at 12:07 AM, SanDiegoInExile said:

Yes, it was tragic that the show lasted another 28 years after being ruined.  And that Christie Clark quit the show so she could raise a family, mostly overseas.

Not exactly what that poster meant, I think.

Had they treated Carrie like the show's main leading lady and paid her accordingly, perhaps CC would have stayed longer.

...of course, Carrie wasn't especially interesting, was she...

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

...of course, Carrie wasn't especially interesting, was she...

Well, that's the fault of the writers then. They write the characters. They can spice them up. But then, all the good writers are long retired or dead, so maybe Christie Clark is better off elsewhere.

Although, should she not want to return full time, Carrie could be recast; she was before. While she was never a favorite personally, I will agree that  - due to her existing LONG before Sami - she should have gotten more focus. But today's hacks only seem to write for fucked-up characters, so maybe shoving Sami down the viewers' throats was easier.

• Love 3

I haven't seen anything about Sami/Allison making a return once the show leaves NBC. Maybe those who will continue watching have FINALLY seen the last of Sami. I stopped watching the time she returned two times ago, as I hated the waste of time on her hysterics and tantrums, only to leave again. 

• Love 1

Ron turns her crazy up to 11. She was pretty entertaining back in 2012, working on her career and taking care of her kids (like a normal person!), albeit in a shitty relationship with EJ.

Carrie could have only done as well as Jennifer, plotwise. They're both pretty "pure" and that limits things. Remember when Carrie essentially cheated on Austin by falling for Mike? I recall girls hating her for that...and I don't recall her having any interesting angles as a character. 

But yes, there should be a middlegound between Hurricane Sami and virtuous Carrie.

Maybe AS will return once she knows things are more stable for DAYS. I definitely expect her back for the eventual finale. She's very proud of her legacy.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Carrie could have only done as well as Jennifer, plotwise. They're both pretty "pure" and that limits things. Remember when Carrie essentially cheated on Austin by falling for Mike? I recall girls hating her for that

I recall that Carrie/Mike happened way back when AOL was still a big thing, and I remember the total opposite. The audience really seemed to love Carrie/Mike (icky history with Mike notwithstanding, age wise!). I remember the whole Mike+Carrie=Magic slogan, and many seemed more than willing to root for them over Austin.

I do know when the stuff with Rafe occurred, people weren't thrilled. But I think that was more about Rafe, since he was already involved with Sami and then Hope, how he seemed to be going through Brady women/Brady women by marriage like Kleenex, and how he was dull, etc.

So I do think Carrie with a few more edges could have worked. The hacks just couldn't be bothered.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Actually I knew most people were split. I think the show ended up going the Mike/Carrie route they did after all give them a literal ride off into the sunset on a horse HEA. 

Which they undid when Carrie was brought back and ran into Austin telling him they broke up. I am surprised they undid it tbh then again Mike is a Horton male so..  While the actors had chemistry I couldn't get behind Mike/Carrie because I do remember the icky age history. Its also why I couldn't go for Jennifer/Eric as well and she used to babysit him and Sami.  I still like Austin/Carrie but I feel like they would've been another Shelle if they were on screen where she cheats every few years and look at how little we think of Belle as a wife for Shawn because of it. 

• Love 3

I feel DOOL is making a serious mistake moving to Peacock, and requiring a paid subscription to boot. The show does not have compelling enough story lines to make many people choose to pay, and many of the elderly devotees who have watched for decades, lack either the disposible income (you know that by the end of the first year special, the normal price will have increased) or the technical savvy to stream the show. I am hopeful that I can stay in touch with what goes on via some of the websites, like this forum. As it is, I am paying for cable, Netflix, prime, and others - not willing to add any other paid services. At the very least, the episodes should be aired on the free version with a week's lag. I've followed the show for at least 45 years, but am not invested in going this route. If Ron and his powers that be wanted to end the show, why not just give it a proper send off, rather than a slow death.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I still like Austin/Carrie but I feel like they would've been another Shelle if they were on screen where she cheats every few years and look at how little we think of Belle as a wife for Shawn because of it. 

Ouch....but yeah. Completely.

Soaps can't seem to do long-term marriages. Come to think of it, what's the longest uninterrupted union we've seen on this show? Tom and Alice? Were they never divorced?

How about Julie and Doug? Maggie and Victor?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, salvame said:

I feel DOOL is making a serious mistake moving to Peacock, and requiring a paid subscription to boot.

It seems likely it was either that or just cancel it. They must feel like there's a chance they can still make something off it on Peacock.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

It seems likely it was either that or just cancel it. They must feel like there's a chance they can still make something off it on Peacock.

NBC is also moving all of their primetime content to Peacock - no more next day streaming on HULU.   I think this is really just a push to make it that you either watch their content on cable or Peacock or you don't watch it at all.  Since there is speculation they may actually give up the 10:00PM primetime hour they could be considering going all to Peacock for most of their content.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Ouch....but yeah. Completely.

Soaps can't seem to do long-term marriages. Come to think of it, what's the longest uninterrupted union we've seen on this show? Tom and Alice? Were they never divorced?

How about Julie and Doug? Maggie and Victor?

Mickey and Maggie come to mind. There was Abe/Lexie who married once and that was offscreen. That’s about it. The last long marriage on soaps in recent years involving a major couple was Nick/Sharon on Y&R which was a decade. They surprisingly never remarried 

However those couples you mentioned are the current longstanding marriages on this show 

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 2