Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: And the Tears of a Clown

First off: clowns are creepy. Period.

Despite the overabundance of creepy clowns, this was a lot of fun. Good team interaction, lots of funny moments, and Jenkins even got to save the day! I really enjoy Jenkins and Eve's dynamic, and like the mutual respect they've developed for one another. Jenkins has come a long way from the antisocial old crank from the first season.

Cassandra made a good mermaid - I got a kick out of her both squeaks and her unnecessarily loud voice when she could talk again. And seeing Eve 2 hitting on Ezekiel was just wrong somehow, lol. Their clown disguises when they snuck back in were something else, too - I like that Cassandra dressed herself as a fairy clown, Jake as a cowboy clown, and made the other two be regular old creepy clowns.

Sean Astin's character sure was a psycho! Though it was nice of him to let them all change clothes and wash the clown makeup off their faces before he waxed them... I suspected it was the flower as soon as they mentioned an artifact. Interesting to see where they go with new artifacts being created.

Looks like tonight was the end of our reprieve from Flynn. Darn.

Lines of the night: "Don't correct me!"   "Don't be wrong!"  I'm definitely going to have to use that in real life.

(And that was definitely the carnival where they filmed The Carnival Job on Leverage!)

• Love 11

The few things I've seen Felicia Day in as an actor just turn me off. In her irl social media, she seems fun and nice. On tv though, it's always like "look, I'm Felicia Day!" to me. 

That didn't ruin my enjoyment of the show though. Sean Astin was a great choice and he seemed to really relish the role. 

I liked that they brought up the premise that new magic artifacts are being created. Warehouse 13 did the same thing, and showed an artifact being "born". 

I'm sorry, RR with the huge purple afro is way hot. I have no shame. 

This was a fun episode, and I liked the wackiness of wanging the clowns on the head, but I can't help but taking away from this that yet another butthurt dude thinks he's entitled to the "hot chick", so in the end, she has to stroke his ego so he doesn't go even more psycho all over the place. 

Ooh, they're doing an episode on xmas! This AND Doctor Who AND Sense8!

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 5

Did I see the infamous "Box of Mystery" from Leverage's Top Hat Job, also?

The two big guys squirting Silly String at each other- that was one of the weirdest things I've seen.  Kinda wondered if they'd progress to slapping each others faces with dead fish.

• Love 2

^^ I wondered if that was the Box! Hopefully CK didn't hurt himself on it again.

I got that vibe too, Ganesh, about the entitled guy going psycho when he didn't get the pretty girl he felt was owed him. I liked that she got to tell him off before he met his end.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, lizzyp said:

The two big guys squirting Silly String at each other- that was one of the weirdest things I've seen.  Kinda wondered if they'd progress to slapping each others faces with dead fish.

The pie in the face is funnier for me. 

50 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I got that vibe too, Ganesh, about the entitled guy going psycho when he didn't get the pretty girl he felt was owed him. I liked that she got to tell him off before he met his end.

Felecia Day aside, I wish they were even more demonstrative with her monologue at the end if that's what they intended. And I'm fine with that. Talk about obsessive. There was an article that I can't find anymore that was "You aren't entitled to a hot chick" or something like that.

I still like the casting of SA because he is a nice looking guy and most look like that; decent looking, normal guys who think they're owed something because reasons. 

• Love 3

My favorite part was Jenkins and the kid (I shall call him Trevor 2.0 after Leverage's Hot Potato Job), although Jenkins is kind of my favorite part in general.

Good job casting the kids from 1996 to resemble their older counterparts.

• Love 4

Jenkins is usually my favorite part in general too. I loved him with the kid. He really should have shown up later.  I liked the beginning with Jenkins showing up at the weird circus and finding the Librarians under the spell. I loved Baird's other head, it was really funny from hitting on Ezekiel to still talking after the bag was over her head.  Cassandra, who generally is my least favorite I really loved her as the mermaid she did a good job with the mermaid sounds and picking out the creepy clown costumes later. I loved everyone telling Kirby that he really was the worse magician and Charlotte telling him off at the end. 

The flower was what he won at the carnival with Charlotte in 1996. It became a newly "created artifact" because he was so fixated and obsessed with her. From there he used it as we saw in the episode. That's why at the end, it was stored in the new "modern artifact" wing of the Library. 

I really like that new artifacts can be created. I liked it on Warehouse 13 too, and it seems like the process is similar. I'd absolutely love if the Library is in the same universe as the Warehouse and Eureka. And the Library has been hinted as being in the same universe as Doctor Who. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 5

The show has mentioned (I think they are calling them) lay lines.  Magic is back in the world with nothing to control it.  Strong emotion is exactly the kind of thing that would create an artifact.   A broken hearted boy riddled with anger and jealousy is exactly the right kind emotion to create a creepy carnival.

• Love 1

Okay I do remember that but I thought there'd *have* to be more to it than that. To simply have strong emotions about an object and then be near a ley line... that seems WAY too easy. Pretty much everybody owns an object (or multiple objects) with strong emotions to it. Thus everyone who lives along the ley lines suddenly has magical objects and can do insanely powerful magic with them? 

For now I'm going to fanwank that there's a third necessary "ingredient" for creating an enchanted artifact, some sort of wish, or an incantation or gesture even, that this guy just happened to do by chance.  I don't like the idea that they're made accidentally...

I like that Charlotte told her obsessed stalker off too and didn't forgive him like some other shows would have. 

Another good Flynn free episode. Yay. This combo of librarians, Jenkins and Eve is just nice.

I wish we had more time with Eve's other head. She was awesome. I'm gonna fanwank that was another aspect of Eve's personality... just the one she kept hidden for professional reasons, lol.

• Love 2

Christian Kane tweeted that it is the Leverage mystery box. No mention of injuries :)

https://twitter.com/ChristianKane01/status/810669797092577280

Plot hole - so Charlotte and the magician were actually there as a couple? I thought they just happened to meet up, and that's why he went all Nice Guy(tm) when she walked off. If they were together, then why didn't she look for him after she'd talked to the other magician, or the next day ask why he vanished during their date? Her story seemed too accurate to be just something she was spinning to con him out of the flower; I'd remember a date who vanished a lot longer than just some random guy I talked to at a carnie booth. 

• Love 1

I think the idea was that they were there as friends, not as a date, and when she went off he assumed she had left the outing to go off on her own. But still, yeah, it begs the question... did they never see each other again in school? Did she never talk to him again? Did she really take that long to recognize him? I mean, my 25th high school reunion is this year, so we're of a similar age and a similar time-passed state, and when I see a former classmate who I haven't seen in 20 years, it's pretty rare that I don't *instantly* recognize them. Many look almost exactly the same. Looking older doesn't usually make you look completely different.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Christian Kane tweeted that it is the Leverage mystery box. No mention of injuries :)

https://twitter.com/ChristianKane01/status/810669797092577280

That must be why my brain heard the words "BOX OF MYSTERY!" in Parker's voice.

I love how Baird is morphing into Charlene.  When she heard that Jones lost the little spinning thing the first thing she said was "Do you know how much those things cost????"

• Love 3
On 12/18/2016 at 7:36 PM, Maelstrom said:

Lines of the night: "Don't correct me!"   "Don't be wrong!"  I'm definitely going to have to use that in real life.

LOVED this. CK's delivery was perfect.

Could have done without Felicia Day. But that's a standing request from me, and I watch a lot of sci fi so that rarely works out in my favor.

• Love 6

Ooh, they're doing an episode on xmas! This AND Doctor Who AND Sense8!

It's in a different genre, but if you like PBS's 'Call the Midwife', they are airing a new Christmas special on Christmas Day.  My DVR is already set.

I kept thinking that it was the top hat that was the artifact (I agreed that the wand was too cliche).  I would have thought it was the flower, but I didn't get a clear look at what Kirby won at the 1996 carnival.

Clowns are creepy, but in addition to the usual explanation of why people think they are is because of the 'wearing a false face' thing, I think it's also because they wear lots of make-up (which is sometimes not too neat) and they wear wrong-sized mismatched clothing.  I just think they are messy and somehow unwashed in appearance.  At least that's why I don't like clowns.

I loved Jenkins with the 'precocious scamp', especially when he made the kid run off screaming in fear.  

Edited by BooksRule
Apostrophe in wrong place
  • Love 2

I think my favorite part of the entire episode was at the photo booth when Jenkins turned to the kid and said "I assume you were raised on technology."

Kid "Yes I was."

Jenkins then picked up the kid who moved a few things and got the pictures to come out.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, snarktini said:

Could have done without Felicia Day. But that's a standing request from me, and I watch a lot of sci fi so that rarely works out in my favor.

I'll concede I liked her final monologue telling off Sean Astin, but I think it was more well written than any authentic Felicia Day-ness that was brought to it. 

• Love 2

First of all, Evil Magic Sean Astin is one of the creepiest bad guys they've had in awhile. Yeah he is more low scale than a lot of the muahaha bond villain types they've fought, but this guy was like a Criminal Minds bad guy with magic. His search for Felicia Day was pretty pathological and scary. 

I have loved the last few episodes, a great combination of action and humor. I like Flynn, but I am not looking forward to his return. The regular characters are all so great together already, and he tends to try to steal the show. 

Can we have Jenkins meet up with little scamp kid again? "ohhhh, my grandpa has a younger friend too. My mom dosnt like her".

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah he is more low scale than a lot of the muahaha bond villain types they've fought, but this guy was like a Criminal Minds bad guy with magic.

I think that he was a more interesting bad guy because of that. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

First of all, Evil Magic Sean Astin is one of the creepiest bad guys they've had in awhile. Yeah he is more low scale than a lot of the muahaha bond villain types they've fought, but this guy was like a Criminal Minds bad guy with magic. His search for Felicia Day was pretty pathological and scary. 

I think that is at least part of the point of this season.  Why not just let Magic be?  Cassandra would like to just experiment with it.  This episode showed the danger with uncontrolled magic.  An angry kid could get ahold of it an cause some pretty major damage.   Magic in the world sound all kinds of awesome but it has unintended consequences.

• Love 3

Late to the party and pretty much everything I wanted to say has been covered - plus some additional stuff I hadn't noticed (Samwise diving after his precious, he!). Great episode and that hero walk of the gang as clowns was one of the most hilarious moments on tv this year, complete with slomo and badass score. I laughed out loud then watched it again and again.

• Love 3

Also late as I watch my DVRd shows whenever I’m not stressing over client deadlines.

1. I didn’t see what he won in 1996, either.

2. 1996 was only like 3 years ago, so WTF, 20 years?

3. I never thought clowns were scary, even when I was a kid. I was mid-20s before I found out people were scared of them. I just thought they were stupid and pointless and un-funny and they bored me. I like rodeo clowns because they’re badass.

4. LOVED Cassandra’s outfit(s). (Also, I like her outrageous look, a la nerdy Cyndi Lauper. What? 1986 was only 4 years ago.)

5. RR’s acting is getting better.

6. I now officially do not like Flynn.

7. I wanted Charlotte to cry, “But you abandoned me at the carnival! I’ve been mad at YOU, but I didn’t want to kill you for abandoning me!” That was the first thing I thought when he walked away in 1996. If I were her mother, I’d’ve called his mother and read her the riot act (if Mr Mojeaux hadn’t gotten to his father first). And if I were his mother, I’d’ve … I don’t know what, but it would’ve been bad.

Edited by Mojeaux
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Mojeaux said:

2. 1996 was only like 3 years ago, so WTF, 20 years?

3. I never thought clowns were scary, even when I was a kid. I was mid-20s before I found out people were scared of them. I just thought they were stupid and pointless and un-funny and they bored me. I like rodeo clowns because they’re badass.

Ditto on both!

• Love 2
On 12/19/2016 at 10:46 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Jenkins and the kid was hilarious I was disappointed he didn't show up later in the episode.

I know! That kid was so good. I'm hoping he'll show up again as sort of a Librarian irregular. He did seem to have some incipient skills.

On 12/20/2016 at 5:58 AM, BooksRule said:

It's in a different genre, but if you like PBS's 'Call the Midwife', they are airing a new Christmas special on Christmas Day.  My DVR is already set.

Mine too!

I was never particularly frightened of clowns, but I think I understand why people are. I think it's because the makeup masks their real expressions, and we depend on facial cues to recognize friend or foe. I wonder, do those of you who hate clowns, also feel uneasy with Kabuki actors? Their heavy makeup hides their expressions as well. (let's see if my theory holds water...)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

I've never really subscribed to the whole "power corrupts" notion.  Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.  Evil Sean Astin was probably always a little broken in his soul.  But if he'd spent his life pining for Felicia Day and doing crappy magic tricks, he'd have been basically harmless and unnoticed.  When he got the magical powers, he could fully express the evil that was already there.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1
On December 24, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Clanstarling said:

I was never particularly frightened of clowns, but I think I understand why people are. I think it's because the makeup masks their real expressions, and we depend on facial cues to recognize friend or foe. I wonder, do those of you who hate clowns, also feel uneasy with Kabuki actors? Their heavy makeup hides their expressions as well. (let's see if my theory holds water...)

I've never seen a Kabuki play, so I can't speak to that, but your comment about the makeup got me thinking. IMO the makeup masking expression is definitely part of what makes clowns seem so unnerving, and I'd also add their clothing to that, with large garments that mask body shape and movement, and bright clashing colors/patterns that disturb the eye. And also, so many shows portray them as creepy to outright crazy - look at them here in this ep, they were basically brainwashed goons with no compunction about doing any number of horrible things if so ordered. Creepy!

And I have now officially spent too much time thinking about clowns ;)

• Love 2

Finally getting around to playing catch-up, after getting busy over the holiday season.  Definitely one of my favorite ones.  Sean Astin was the perfect choice for the role, and I think what him such a good villain was that; as mentioned above; he wasn't the typical obvious antagonist, but much quieter, but still disturbed.  If anything, I think what made him effective was that he is probably close to realistic for this type of show.  I imagine there are a decent amount of "nice guys" who, if somehow gotten magical powers, would use it to try and get with the girl that they are crushing on; consequences and other people be damned.

Felicia Day isn't exactly a great actress, but she was serviceable in the role.  I did like that she played a major part in taking Kirby down, and even told him off at the end.  I do wonder if she was telling the truth that she was trying to get tickets from the magician, or was that all part of the performance.

Not sure what my favorite part was: Jake correcting Kirby about the Hamlet quote (book nerd!), or the slo-mo walk of everyone dressed as clowns.  Although, Baird with two heads was certainly a blast too...

The opening with Jenkins and the kid was a nice change of pace.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Felicia Day isn't exactly a great actress, but she was serviceable in the role.  I did like that she played a major part in taking Kirby down, and even told him off at the end.  I do wonder if she was telling the truth that she was trying to get tickets from the magician, or was that all part of the performance.

She was telling the truth. Like she said, she was getting tickets. The guy she was buying them from was playfully doing that "What's this in your ear? A ticket!" trick with her and she was just laughing at his antics when Kirby saw them.

• Love 1
On 12/20/2016 at 11:31 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I think my favorite part of the entire episode was at the photo booth when Jenkins turned to the kid and said "I assume you were raised on technology."

Kid "Yes I was."

Jenkins then picked up the kid who moved a few things and got the pictures to come out.

Not every kid "raised on technology" is going to necessarily know how to hack said technology.

I grew up liking clowns too, but definitely in the last 20 or so years, clowns became something you feared, not laughed at.  Thanks horror movies and tv shows.