Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: DJ and Kimmy's High School Reunion

Bort

Well, I knew the Steve/DJ romance would rear its ugly head soon enough to please those fans (I used to be one of them!). At least they gave DJ/Matt a mostly drama free romantic road for a few episodes. Although Steve's proposing to CJ after dating her for only a few months, tops? I will say that Steve/DJ scene might be my favourite of theirs. When they strip down Steve's way too quirky revival personality, I remember why I love the two together.

I liked seeing all the cameos from old characters, like Viper and Nelson, even if Nelson was recast. I also really loved the return of Duane.

I feel for Jackson here. All he wanted was to make his family proud, and he gets disbelief and rightfully so. I did find it sweet what Stephanie and the kids did for him. Also, when did Jackson/Lola start dating? 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 2

It looks like them not marrying at 18 was  the best for them.

Did anyone else notice that they never said 20th year reunion because it was in fact 21 years? I kept waiting for a joke about how their reunion was a year late because the class treasury ran off with the money or something.

• Love 3
On 12/10/2016 at 11:16 PM, methodwriter85 said:

It looks like them not marrying at 18 was  the best for them.

Did anyone else notice that they never said 20th year reunion because it was in fact 21 years? I kept waiting for a joke about how their reunion was a year late because the class treasury ran off with the money or something.

Dj actually says that it was their 20th year reunion at the beginning of the episode, though if you meant at the actual reunion party, then yes, they didn't mention it.

What is great with this season is how they got most of the original actors from the original series to reprise their roles even though they were guest cameos even back then.  To clarify, a few of the actors are retired actors like the classmate of Kimmy and Dj.  The actress who played Kimmy stopped acting for the most part until Fuller House.

Even when they could not get the original actors, they do get ones that look similar to the original actors such as Nelson.

• Love 1

My first thought with Viper was "... he didn't go to high school with DJ." Glad to see I want mistaken.

Ugh, I hate that all of a sudden they're making Steve more like OG Steve and not like rebootedb Steve. Because if Steve had always been like OG Steve and not co-dependent, clingy, and obsessive, I'd be all over a DJ/Steve redux. But I've kind of fallen in love with Matt and other than this episode they've kind of killed Steve's character for me.

Nitpick of the night: the timeline is off. DJ was named most likely to marry Lance Bass in her senior yearbook. They cited them as class of 1995 (which matches with the OG show). Which would be fine, except Lance Bass didn't join NSync until spring of 1995 and their first public performance was in October of 1995. Their first single charted in Germany in November of 1996, but they didn't hit mainstream in the US until January of 1998. So DJs school was incredibly progressive in the music scene, because in spring of 1995 Lance Bass was still an unknown random kid from Mississippi.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

A better joke would have been Chad Allen from Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. Oh, well.

Hahaha, same joke, fits the timeline, but probably wouldn't have landed. I mean, who remembers Dr. Quinn or knows off hand that Chad Allen ended up being gay?

I missed the original run of Dr Quinn because I'm younger than DJ (caught it in reruns and own the series now)... was Chad Allen an early 90s heartthrob? And I wonder what he's up to today.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, McManda said:

Hahaha, same joke, fits the timeline, but probably wouldn't have landed. I mean, who remembers Dr. Quinn or knows off hand that Chad Allen ended up being gay?

How about Neil Patrick Harris? I think Doogie Howser was in their high school years. 

• Love 2

I thought about NPH, but he wasn't a pin-up like Chad Allen was.

They COULD have made a reference to George Micheal, but his reign as pop prince was over by the time they were in high school.

Hmm. I guess it is pretty slim pickings for now-openly gay teen idols from the early/mid-'90's who are still remembered.

I'm super-impressed they got back the actress who played Kathy Santoni on the original show. Still wish James Marsden played ball. Oh, well.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I too noticed that it was actually 21 years since high school.  They could of easily threw in a line about it being a year later.  I also think Chad Allen would of been a better/more accurate choice.  If your over 30 and watching this show I'm sure you know who Chad Allen is so the joke would of landed just fine.  Also Chad Allen still acts, he mostly does gay themed independent movies and also is a producer.

Actually, that isn't too off the wall. My 20th was this year and the way things were going it would have been a 20th after almost 21 years. Timing and set ups don't go easy these days. Sometimes the events are costing $60 per person and people of Gen X and before are going: "Why do I want to go? I don't talk to these people or I have facebook." 

• Love 3

Heh. I'm a Millennial and our 10-year reunion plan failed, reason being a small class and Facebook. Keeping our fingers crossed for the 15th.

I get that these are just silly sitcom characters, but man, I just felt bad that Viper is so pathetic now that he actually went to a reunion for a school he didn't go to just to try and see an ex-girlfriend from over 20 years ago. I guess they had to do that in order to play down how pathetic Steve seemed during season 1?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Ha! Mine did as well. It also would have been this year but it didn't work out.

Mine should have been last year but nobody was willing to pony up the cash to have our reunion at a fancy banquet. Plus, at 28/29, you're just not all that established in adulthood to have the time to take off for a reunion. Also our committee members were also planning the wedding of our former class president.

My sister can top that, though. Her 10-year reunion, which should have been in '10, didn't happen because the former class treasurer had a gambling habit and basically ran off with the money. Now that could have been a funny line about why the reunion wasn't happening at the right time.

I really did love the use of the Bryan Adam song. It just sounds like something that would have been big at proms back in the early '90s. I can totally buy that they would have used it on the original show if they had room left in their budget from all the Beach Boys songs.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Mine was sort of the same boat, money wise. They wanted to have it at a fancy country club and put the place  on hold but not enough people were buying tickets because it was a lot of money to ask of 28 year olds to buy a ticket or tickets. So then the person organizing it just cancelled and refunded to those who had bought already.

Reunions do seem to be becoming less of a thing now. I could probably tell you some details about people who I haven't seen or talked to since high school because there's Facebook. 

Im surprised djs prom song wasn't Jessas version of Forever.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

The class of '96 at my high school apparently couldn't get it together for their 10 year reunion, because my class of '97 10 year morphed into a '96 and '97 event. (Which I did not attend, my summer camp reunion was the same weekend & I like those people a lot better.) I do think '96 managed a 20 year this fall, we'll see what my class pulls off next year!

All that to say I just figured Kimmy & DJ's class was distracted & disorganized. 

• Love 1
On 12/25/2016 at 5:15 AM, WhosThatGirl said:

Mine was sort of the same boat, money wise. They wanted to have it at a fancy country club and put the place  on hold but not enough people were buying tickets because it was a lot of money to ask of 28 year olds to buy a ticket or tickets. So then the person organizing it just cancelled and refunded to those who had bought already.

Reunions do seem to be becoming less of a thing now. I could probably tell you some details about people who I haven't seen or talked to since high school because there's Facebook. 

Im surprised djs prom song wasn't Jessas version of Forever.

What school did u go to ? Mine was the same exact situation lol 

On 12/14/2016 at 5:32 PM, McManda said:

Nitpick of the night: the timeline is off. DJ was named most likely to marry Lance Bass in her senior yearbook. They cited them as class of 1995 (which matches with the OG show). Which would be fine, except Lance Bass didn't join NSync until spring of 1995 and their first public performance was in October of 1995. Their first single charted in Germany in November of 1996, but they didn't hit mainstream in the US until January of 1998. So DJs school was incredibly progressive in the music scene, because in spring of 1995 Lance Bass was still an unknown random kid from Mississippi.

Nitpicking along with you!

Huge *NSYNC fan here and when I watched that scene, I immediately called bull crap based on the timeline alone!!