Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: What We Leave Behind

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I watched part of the episode again (NOT the part where no one cares about Felicity and then Oliver goes for sexual healing to Susan) and I noticed that in the flashback  scene where Oliver corners the bad guy who gave people TV and raised the price of his drug, Claybourne replies:

"You want to make the city great again?  This is how, with business ..... money."

Nice.

• Love 2
On 12/8/2016 at 6:56 PM, insomniadreams88 said:

I realized I'm also annoyed with the show having Felicity comment on how attractive the women are in Oliver's life (gorgeous Laurel, super hot reporter). I know it was to make that scene even more awkward, but still. 

Actually I love this about her. I love how she is not competitive about looks and does not try to put people down, but build them up and emphasize on their qualities. Just because Oliver likes these women does not mean Felicity should diminish them. I think this shows bigger confidence in her. Only people who know their worth won't be stingy in their compliments.

• Love 5

This episode was so good. God, I miss the Hood. I want more flashbacks from season 1 with the gritty feel. But poor Billy, I actually liked  him, Felicity and Billy were cute. But at least now we can have promising Felicity story line.

5 hours ago, rtalive said:

Actually I love this about her. I love how she is not competitive about looks and does not try to put people down, but build them up and emphasize on their qualities. Just because Oliver likes these women does not mean Felicity should diminish them. I think this shows bigger confidence in her. Only people who know their worth won't be stingy in their compliments.

I absolutely agree with you about Felicity (or any other woman who is confident about her worth) not needing to diminish other women. And I totally agree that Felicity is that kind of person.

I think, though, what rubs me wrong about these types of scenes on television is that they tend to be the "nerdy," non-LI, "pining" woman saying the compliments to the woman that the show has presented as the traditional LI. It seems to happen in situations where the audience is not responding to the original LI and has started rooting for the girl no one in Hollywood seems to believe can be a love interest. In Arrow, especially early on, that meant Felicity saying "gorgeous Laurel" about the Laurel; this season, it seems to mean having Felicity talk about the attractiveness of the "hot reporter," who seems to be being set up as a love interest.

It reminds me of one rage-inducing, flames-on-the-side-of-my-face scene on the OC where the new girl (smart and kind of "nerdy" if I remember correctly and a potential LI for Ryan) is eating a salad while Marissa and Summer (the two main LIs) are eating hamburgers. When Lindsay makes some comment about having to watch her weight, Marissa and Summer talk breezily about how they can eat anything while poor Lindsay looks mournfully at her too-bad-you-have-to-try-to-be-attractive salad. It's a nerd-girl vs. popular-girl dynamic that drives me crazy. I think TPTB believe that if they can get the character people are responding to to compliment the one they're not, that somehow that affection will transfer. For me, it doesn't. In fact, it makes me irate.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, bethy said:

When Lindsay makes some comment about having to watch her weight, Marissa and Summer talk breezily about how they can eat anything while poor Lindsay looks mournfully at her too-bad-you-have-to-try-to-be-attractive salad.

Like I'd believe Marissa Cooper ever ate anything ever, lol.  

My issue with the complements from Felicity is they don't seem to come from a place of confidence, but the opposite.  She's nervous so she starts babbling and it comes off as insecure.  It's not like she's saying oh you are just as pretty as I'd heard or some other smooth compliment; she's tripping over the information like she's fixated.  :( 

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Like I'd believe Marissa Cooper ever ate anything ever, lol.  

Honestly, that was part of what made me furious about that whole scene, that they were presenting these two very thin girls who I seriously doubt could eat anything they wanted - very few of us can - as ideals for the teenaged girls who watched that show and loved Marissa. I was neither teenaged or a fan of that characte,r. 

ETA: And that scene essentially said that the other girl, who was actually also thin, and had to "work" at her weight was somehow kind of a loser in that scenario. Grrr. (Hmm. I didn't realize I was still so ragey about that scene.)

Edited by bethy
A little more ranting...
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

My issue with the complements from Felicity is they don't seem to come from a place of confidence, but the opposite.  She's nervous so she starts babbling and it comes off as insecure.  It's not like she's saying oh you are just as pretty as I'd heard or some other smooth compliment; she's tripping over the information like she's fixated.  :( 

It's always rubbed me the wrong way because it came across to me like she's elevating the woman Oliver is with (and Oliver himself) as a way to put herself down. Of course Oliver would be talking to "gorgeous Laurel" sleeping with "leggy model" Isabel, hallucinating about "beautiful island girls" like Shado, and dating "super hot reporter" Susan as opposed to, well, plain old Felicity, as she views herself.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 20
On 12/9/2016 at 1:55 PM, blackwing said:

Worst thing about this episode:  Laurel is back.  I don't care if it's real Laurel or clone Laurel or Black Siren Laurel or alternate timeline made primary timeline Laurel.  It looks like Laurel.  It acts like Laurel.  The actress has always been awful and the only one that can outdo her earnest display of "hey world look at my huge mouth with all of its brilliantly white and straight teeth" is the original Horseface herself, Julia Roberts.  Or maybe Horseface 2, Nancy Kerrigan. 

I feel the same way about Felicity and EBR.

I don't think EBR is a good actress at all. She's horrible when it comes to drama. It's embarrassing watching her act out dramatic scenes. Really bad. Terrible. Berlanti has to cringe knowing he once had Emily VanCamp, a truly talented actress on Everwood and now has to deal with lower quality actors on Arrow.

Regarding looks... Felicity has the longest, more vertical face I've ever seen. Really unattractive. So Laurel might have a huge mouth in your mind, but I'm still trying to find Felicity's forehead since it's up in the clouds.

I guess different strokes and that's cool. 

Edited by The Apt
5 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Lol I don't like to get into actress physical features because it can get gross but I'm a little amused. I think both EBR and KC are attractive, but if you talking long vertical faces...

I am curious though. What is considered a long face? Like is there a scientific process to this? Like an exact measurement that if a face surpasses that exact measurement it's considered long? I'm intrigued. 

5 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I am curious though. What is considered a long face? Like is there a scientific process to this? Like an exact measurement that if a face surpasses that exact measurement it's considered long? I'm intrigued. 

There is. And scientific method too.

But more importantly, everyone should read Agatha Christie's action-adventure female driven romance The Man in The Brown Suit, in which a dude being brachycephalic is a genius plot point.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

There is. And scientific method too.

But more importantly, everyone should read Agatha Christie's action-adventure female driven romance The Man in The Brown Suit, in which a dude being brachycephalic is a genius plot point.

De-lurking just to say, yes, someone other than me has read that book! Yay! And it's very good. Perhaps time for a re-read…

And we now return to my regularly scheduled lurking. I might have to watch the past few episodes of Arrow I have accumulating on my DVR.

• Love 2

It's funny how comparisons between races start out scientific and end up being about proving that your group is superior.

In terms of books, I'd like to recommend Stephen Jay Gould's The Mismeasure of Man.  Followed by Carol Tavris' The Mismeasure of Woman: Why Women Are Not the Better Sex, the Inferior Sex, or the Opposite Sex.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, bethy said:

I absolutely agree with you about Felicity (or any other woman who is confident about her worth) not needing to diminish other women. And I totally agree that Felicity is that kind of person.

I think, though, what rubs me wrong about these types of scenes on television is that they tend to be the "nerdy," non-LI, "pining" woman saying the compliments to the woman that the show has presented as the traditional LI. It seems to happen in situations where the audience is not responding to the original LI and has started rooting for the girl no one in Hollywood seems to believe can be a love interest. In Arrow, especially early on, that meant Felicity saying "gorgeous Laurel" about the Laurel; this season, it seems to mean having Felicity talk about the attractiveness of the "hot reporter," who seems to be being set up as a love interest.

It reminds me of one rage-inducing, flames-on-the-side-of-my-face scene on the OC where the new girl (smart and kind of "nerdy" if I remember correctly and a potential LI for Ryan) is eating a salad while Marissa and Summer (the two main LIs) are eating hamburgers. When Lindsay makes some comment about having to watch her weight, Marissa and Summer talk breezily about how they can eat anything while poor Lindsay looks mournfully at her too-bad-you-have-to-try-to-be-attractive salad. It's a nerd-girl vs. popular-girl dynamic that drives me crazy. I think TPTB believe that if they can get the character people are responding to to compliment the one they're not, that somehow that affection will transfer. For me, it doesn't. In fact, it makes me irate.

Felicity in last episode, where she said that Susan is hot, was hotter than Susan, so I don't think they were trying to push the nerdy girl propping the popular. If they wanted to make this, they shouldn't have made Felicity so obviously glamorous and sexy. I think in last seasons, she stopped being nerdy and awkward. The only nerdy thing are the glasses, but glasses these days is actually hip. :) So I  think it was ok she said it. She is definitely considered hot these days. And about Laurel I thing she said 'gorgeous', because she was friends with Oliver and she knew how much Laurel meant to him. It was more about her personality, I think. 

• Love 2

The review that was just posted over in the media thread was something that I'd been thinking about. I think that lost in the outrage over the team leaving Felicity alone to mourn overshadowed an important point, which is how do they Oliver and Felicity come back from him killing her boyfriend?  They went to such great lengths over the course of the season to emphasize that Felicity really, really wasn't that attached to him, I think to absolve Oliver of some of his guilt, but its still a big roadblock in the way of them possibly getting back together. 

I thought they emphasized Felicity keeping Billy at arms-length because it revealed something about Felicity, not because it would (ultimately) absolve Oliver. She didn't love him, the relationship wasn't "real," and probably never would have been. If the show wanted us to believe that Felicity loved him (so that we would feel his loss more deeply or...whatever), they would have certainly revealed that in this episode rather than hammering home once again that she wasn't even comfortable calling him her boyfriend. Either Felicity wouldn't let him get that close, or he just wasn't the right person for her, but either way, it was a dead-end (ha) relationship that she was using as a distraction.

So anyway, I don't know that Oliver technically being the one who killed Billy would be much of a roadblock, but I could be wrong. To me, the fact that Felicity immediately blamed Prometheus for Billy's death tells me that she will not connect that to Oliver, even subconsciously. I mean, I think the trauma of his murder (plus all her/their other trauma) would further delay them reuniting, but not because Oliver was responsible for it.

• Love 16

I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't think these writers have too much depth. 

If they want an Olicity reunion they will make it happen, it doesn't need to make sense.  If they want them to have new LIs they will have new LIs. 

Heck if they wanted to make Felicity run off with Laurel into the sunset they'd do it and give some weird reasoning later. 

I used to read posts and posts of people analysing Gossip Girl to death and I used to think "It's Gossip Girl I don't think there is anything rational behind the writing." I'm feeling like that about Arrow. 

• Love 1

The first words out of Felicity's mouth were that it wasn't Oliver's fault, it's all on Prometheus.

What's going to keep them apart now is guilt -- Oliver's at killing Billy, Felicity's at not valuing Billy enough when she had him.  Then it will all be over when the EPs want it to be.  I'm not worried.  Oliver ad Felicity joining forces to take down Prometheus will smooth the way.

(If Oliver really feels that badly about killing Felicity's boyfriend, then logically he shouldn't get a new love interest because he should feel not worthy of being loved. But this show....)

• Love 4
13 hours ago, rtalive said:

Felicity in last episode, where she said that Susan is hot, was hotter than Susan, so I don't think they were trying to push the nerdy girl propping the popular. If they wanted to make this, they shouldn't have made Felicity so obviously glamorous and sexy. I think in last seasons, she stopped being nerdy and awkward. The only nerdy thing are the glasses, but glasses these days is actually hip. :) So I  think it was ok she said it. She is definitely considered hot these days. And about Laurel I thing she said 'gorgeous', because she was friends with Oliver and she knew how much Laurel meant to him. It was more about her personality, I think. 

I agree with you with how things looked, but I still think the line was written as if Felicity wasn't supposed to be out shining Susan.  As for the "Gorgeous Laurel" line, it was IMO about how built up Laurel was in Oliver and thereby in default, Felicity's mind. So yeah, I agree it was about how much Laurel meant to Oliver, but I don't think it was so much a complement as commentary on her seemingly untouchable status in Oliver's mind.  (Laurel at one point was enough for Oliver to abandoned Diggle over.)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

The review that was just posted over in the media thread was something that I'd been thinking about. I think that lost in the outrage over the team leaving Felicity alone to mourn overshadowed an important point, which is how do they Oliver and Felicity come back from him killing her boyfriend?  They went to such great lengths over the course of the season to emphasize that Felicity really, really wasn't that attached to him, I think to absolve Oliver of some of his guilt, but its still a big roadblock in the way of them possibly getting back together. 

I don't see it that much differently than Malcolm mind controlling Thea into killing Sara.  It's so not her fault and even Laurel didn't blame her.  Heck, even Nyssa didn't blame her.  Oliver, like Thea, will feel guilt over his action, but the people around him aren't going to hold him responsible.  Felicity is likely to be more busy blaming herself for getting close to Mayo or not trying harder to protect him and that mindset would IMO be more likely to get in the way of a Olicty reunion than what Oliver did.  The only caveat is Oliver might not know how to be there for Felicity, but honestly, that would apply no matter how the boyfriend died. 

I think there are probably people (like the reviewer who made their comment) that would always secretly blame Oliver in those circumstances, I just don't think that's Felicity or anyone else on the Arrow Team. 

• Love 6

BTW, what was the point of Felicity pointing out and getting mad at the men in her life for not listening? She was mad at Oliver, then at Billy. I mean, it led to Billy's death but is there more to that? Is this something that's supposed to be picked up in another episode? It just seemed odd for her to say something like "Five years and he still doesn't listen" or something like that. Felt like an odd detail to suddenly fixate on.

6 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

BTW, what was the point of Felicity pointing out and getting mad at the men in her life for not listening? She was mad at Oliver, then at Billy. I mean, it led to Billy's death but is there more to that? Is this something that's supposed to be picked up in another episode? It just seemed odd for her to say something like "Five years and he still doesn't listen" or something like that. Felt like an odd detail to suddenly fixate on.

Maybe it'll come up later? But then again, there are so many things I wish they'd address from previous episodes that they don't, so I'm not holding my breath. It could just end up being that neither man listened to her and they thought that people would like that Oliver answered her question at the end of the scene in the lair. 

1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I thought it might have been just to tie dumb Mad Dong back into Oliver again since he told Curtis that Oliver knows he never listens.  There has been such a weird push to say that Mad Dog = Oliver.  

• Love 4

Yeah, especially with Oliver saying that men don't listen "because we're stubborn" and no one is more blockhead... I mean stubborn than Wild Dog.

I really really wish they would stop it with the "Wild Dog is just like Oliver".  Because he's not. And we're not stupid enough to buy it no matter how many times they push it down our throats.

If they're talking stubborn, I'd rather it be about Billy insisted on going after Prometheus on his own than Wild Dong being an idiot.

• Love 10
On 12/7/2016 at 9:10 PM, bettername2come said:

Rory is officially my favorite newbie now.

Same here.

I hate Curtis, why is he getting so much screentime?

The review that was just posted over in the media thread was something that I'd been thinking about. I think that lost in the outrage over the team leaving Felicity alone to mourn overshadowed an important point, which is how do they Oliver and Felicity come back from him killing her boyfriend?  They went to such great lengths over the course of the season to emphasize that Felicity really, really wasn't that attached to him, I think to absolve Oliver of some of his guilt, but its still a big roadblock in the way of them possibly getting back together

I think TIIC are slowly going back to Laurel as Oliver's OTL. And now that she is back, I fear the worse. If Laurel is back for good, I'm done!

Felicity is no longer a character I love or root for, but I will NEVER EVER root for Oliver and Laurel.

Edited by Hook75

What I will leave behind is this show if they bring back Laurel for good.

But, I really think she's only going to be BS and not actually Laurel. 

Freaking hell that character of LL wasn't even a good lawyer, a good fighter and was only occasionally a good person. Why do people even like her that much? These people who are advocating for her now I feel are just bandwagon people. She hardly ever trends and she has no real upstanding moments that really moved the show except for her death.

You know you have a sub-par character on your hands when only her death makes a little bit of a wave and nothing else.

• Love 3

A bit late to the party but....

Artemis hates GA even though the hood only killed BAD ppl in the past, like... pure scum. But she sides with Prometheus who kills innocent ppl? Dno if bad writing or that she's just a b*tch...

I'm getting a bit sick of the writers demonising S1 Oliver. He wasn't that bad where he would put an extra arrow in to ppl already lying on the ground. Come on... He wasn't like that AT ALL.

Also i wish they would stop hamering it in that Oliver was doing a completely wrong thing in S1.. He wasn't imo... Claybourne was pure scum and wasn't listening. He had it coming. Many more ppl would have suffered if he didn't kill him.

I'm not saying killing is ok. But every kill Oliver made as "The Hood" was for the greater good. Meanwhile, ppl like Prometheus or Malcolm Merlyn do it for a personal vendetta, there is a HUGE difference. They need to make Oliver realise that he is not just "another kill" and move on. But instead they keep trying to demonise S1 Oliver and it's getting pretty annoying.

Edited by DeadZeus
  • Love 12

I'm hearing Guggie said they filmed a full-on Oliporter sex scene and cut it. Pretty cowardly...if you're going to send Oliver to a rando to bang right after killing the supposed love of his life's boyfriend, who's a good guy, have the courage of your choices.

19 minutes ago, DeadZeus said:

I'm getting a bit sick of the writers demonising S1 Oliver. He wasn't that bad where he would put an extra arrow in to ppl already lying on the ground. Come on... He wasn't like that AT ALL.

As I watched, I thought that we were seeing it through Ollie's eyes and he felt like he did these awful things in the beginning so that is now how he remembers it.  

18 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I'm hearing Guggie said they filmed a full-on Oliporter sex scene and cut it. Pretty cowardly...if you're going to send Oliver to a rando to bang right after killing the supposed love of his life's boyfriend, who's a good guy, have the courage of your choices.

Honestly that would kinda explain the awkward seeming Oliver/reporter scene, at least for me. Probably one of the best decisions he's made lmao.  It's one thing to create TI for characters, it's a whole other level if I have to start seeing them banging etc, no thanks. So thanks for that Guggie. :D

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

What did they say that he said? If that's the case I wonder who pulled the plug on that (and decided that, "well, I guess making out/potentially implying sex after all of this is better than actually showing sex") or if it was "cut for time." Although, if they really wanted to not have a sex scene but still wanted Oliver's monologue at the end, then I guess they cut it off as abrupt as possible so they can still carry on that relationship to the eventual betrayal/reveal for Susan but downgrade it a bunch. Then again, they could have just reshot it with Oliver and anyone else, but I guess they didn't think it worth it.

1 minute ago, Thundercatmary said:

Honestly that would kinda explain the awkward seeming Oliver/reporter scene, at least for me. Probably one of the best decisions he's made lmao.  It's one thing to create TI for characters, it's a whole other level if I have to start seeing them banging etc, no thanks. So thanks for that Guggie. :D

I think they're total cowards. They knew how their framing of the scene would be perceived. We know when two adults, one in lingerie, start making out and then the show fades to black, it means they banged. 

I sure hope he showered before scampering out of the reporter's place. Although, not like Laurel hasn't experienced Oliver going right from another woman to a chat with her before, I guess.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

So they could have cut back and forth from Felicity crying to Oliver banging the reporter? Was that the point that they thought, "hmm, maybe this is a bad decision"? Not at any point before that? 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, insomniadreams88 said:

So they could have cut back and forth from Felicity crying to Oliver banging the reporter? Was that the point that they thought, "hmm, maybe this is a bad decision"? Not at any point before that? 

Aww, jeez, you just made it EVEN WORSE.

51 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

If true, this would explain Stephen's "they didn't bang, oh wait, no they really didn't" wishy-washy on FB. Probably had to check with MG.

• Love 1

I could definitely see them writing and filming a sex scene that takes place right after Oliver killed Billy because they have proven to be emotionally tone deaf again and again, but if they cut it because of focus group/audience feedback, isn't it kind of stupid to tell people that it was the plan if you knew it would enrage them?   They have proven to be that stupid, so I wouldn't rule it out 100 percent, it just seems like a mistake.

And if the cut the oliporter sex and needed to fill a few minutes, the red pen flashback filled the time nicely as a last minute add-on scene.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If it was cut,it could be an indication that they did hear how unattractive Oliver is this season and how upset Felicity fans are.  I'd take that as a good sign.

I want to believe this is the case and if they cut it, I would think it is, but until I see a link to MG saying it (or an explanation of where he said it) I don't want to get my hopes up over something that may turn out to be a rumor.  

Are sources not a thing we're doing anymore? Especially considering how many false spoilers that have floated around this season? Oliver and reporter were supposed to bang in 505, and then it was supposed to happen in 507, and since we didn't see them do it in 509, that's only because it was filmed, then cut?

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Are sources not a thing we're doing anymore? Especially considering how many false spoilers that have floated around this season? 

I get bringing it up even without a link - it's big news and I don't doubt that it was heard, just concerned about it being accurate.  

Felicity was in monogamous relationships with Ray and Billy  But my main objection is that it would mean that Oliver felt so bad that he killed Felicity's boyfriend that he left her to cry alone while he went to have sex with the sketchy reporter to make himself feel better and never even tried to help Felicity.  That behaviour would kill Olicity.

41 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

And if the cut the oliporter sex and needed to fill a few minutes, the red pen flashback filled the time nicely as a last minute add-on scene.

The red pen scene was much longer than a sex scene would have been.  They shouldn't run more than 20 seconds for a non-OTP on this channel.  I believe SA that the pen scene was on the original script.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Hook75 said:

Oliver can "bang" whomever he wants, Felicity "banged" Ray and Billy. What's the big deal?

I don't think the issue is that Oliver slept with someone, but WHEN he may have slept with that person - after he killed the man Felicity was dating. It's the timing that makes it problematic for me. Especially if they're setting up Felicity to be the One.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Hook75 said:

Oliver can "bang" whomever he wants, Felicity "banged" Ray and Billy. What's the big deal?

The timing is the issue for me. He'd just killed the boyfriend of the supposed love of his life and he's dipping his wick into a sketchy reporter who's already played his sister? Kinda stupid.

I don't care if it was shot and not shown, that fadeout implied the sex, whatever Stephen says. 

What would kill Olicity is not the damn temporary love interests. It's how stupidly the writers are writing Oliver.

• Love 16