Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: What We Leave Behind

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

CzI-hmGUAAAvkAw.jpg

Welp... LOL

33 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I read on twitter MG told someone in DM Oliver slept with the reporter. Make of that what you wish, I didn't see the DM so only reporting what I read.

Continuity? What dis?

Re. SA's tweet or facebook message - now I'm starting to wonder if the couple of posters here were right - that the vodka wasn't just highlighted because it's vodka (and so Bratva bla bla bla), but it was drugged. I mean, we didn't see her drink any.

Re. the episode as a whole - eh. I didn't expect Oliver to actually be the one to kill Billy, so wow, the show managed to surprise me. I'd love if the whole Son of Claybourne (you killed my father! etc) turns out to be misdirection, and it's really someone we know behind the mask.

Because that parkour flip or whatever was EXACTLY what Roy used to do all the time, and I can't remember seeing Oliver doing it. A flip to avoid bullets or arrows etc, sure. But not that really high, just to get from one spot to another flip. That was always Roy's thing, even before he was getting trained by Oliver (when he saved Thea from the muggers in season 1).

But knowing these guys, they're already forgotten it. So, sure, a woman in Russia. Fine.

I'm deliberately ignoring the last scene. Don't care. Hallucination (how did she get in, otherwise?), roofie-induced dream, or Black Siren. Next!

• Love 1

I'm normally some one who enjoys reading reviews rather then leaving them because as it goes others usually are far more perceptive and insightful.

That being said I posted something in the spoiler thread that I need to apologise for. I'm sorry Prometheus that I called you Kylo Ren. Yes your still a little over dramatic but the Malone twist I did not predict. That was a smart plan and your not as whiny a emo like Kylo. Apologies. Also colour me impressed show that you actually managed a twist I don't think anyone was predicting while killing off a pointless love interest.

I actually thought the episode was good. Not as enjoyable as Three Ghosts or Dark Waters but it was decent.

As for the Olicity-phant in the room there's a lot of question marks there which I guess the writers are hoping will carry interest through enough into the mid season premiere. I do think the flash back could go either the way of bread crumb or foreshadowing. 

This could go down as a red face moment but am I misreading if I say that they are trying to echo the whole BMD storyline where something shocking happens except this time Oliver is upfront and truthful about it and Felicity doesn't over react and walk away from Oliver (BTW I don't think Felicity over reacted with the BMD but she didn't fully hear him out either) My mind sort of went to 4x08 and that scene outside the farm house and the difference in Olivers confession this time. 

I guess that was my bizarre read of the whole shebang. The reporter aspect and the lack of Oliver comforting Felicity was uncomfortable  I didn't get my Olicity hook I was hoping for (the one I could point to and go okay I see what they are doing) but I think I see how they could covulutingly bring Oliver and Felicity back around after much CW style drama. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 4

I do think that the interaction post- Billy was very intentionally the opposite of last season. Oliver comes right out with a very difficult thing to say, Felicity hears him out. Even though I'm 100% sure she would have listened to him about William as well had he actually told her.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I do think that the interaction post- Billy was very intentionally the opposite of last season. Oliver comes right out with a very difficult thing to say, Felicity hears him out. Even though I'm 100% sure she would have listened to him about William as well had he actually told her.

Well yeah haha. But plot called for her not to.

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

Did anyone else expect some sort of payoff from those Christmas stockings? Because I thought they were Chekhov's stocking, but in the end, nothing.

I thought the boxes were gonna blow up, or something, which is why she wanted them opened at the same time - but nothing.

11 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Oliver comes right out with a very difficult thing to say, Felicity hears him out. Even though I'm 100% sure she would have listened to him about William as well had he actually told her.

Exactly. Last season he never even gave her a chance, believed Barry's garbled account of what he witnessed, and proceeded to mess things up big time.

ETA re. Evelyn - what I don't understand is why the writers made her show her hand so early - wouldn't it be much better for Prometheus if he has a mole in the Arrow cave going forward? Or is that position now going to be taken by fake!Laurel?

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Considering I fully expected Oliver to lie and say Prometheus killed Billy, I was pleasantly surprised that he told the truth. I have to believe that was deliberate growth on Oliver's part. Same as Oliver not sleeping with Susan, which would I'm guessing is a plot/character point in 510 or 511.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Considering I fully expected Oliver to lie and say Prometheus killed Billy, I was pleasantly surprised that he told the truth. I have to believe that was deliberate growth on Oliver's part. Same as Oliver not sleeping with Susan, which would I'm guessing is a plot/character point in 510 or 511.

Following that, I was also pleasantly surprised that no one, especially Oliver, was blaming Oliver himself for what happened. Not that I thought Felicity would actually blame him, but I was glad we moved straight to blaming the actual bad guy instead of going into "this is my fault/this is not your fault" again. Yeah, Oliver still felt guilty afterwards and told everyone to leave because of the correlation effect, but that response felt more I guess nuanced (being somewhat pragmatic and sad) rather than usual self-loathing (plus that was immediately shut down too, so we moved straight through that as well). 

• Love 4

The real sad part for me was that no one, Oliver included, worried about what Felicity might feel. Oliver just killed her boyfriend and it happened after a year where her life was turned upside down. She is currently jobless, with no family living close by and her boyfriend just died. I'd worry. So it makes no big difference to me thinking about a possible reconciliation if Oliver slept or didn't sleep with the reporter (and I assumed he wasn't going to lie about killing mayo because it would have been just too low) because he didn't show he cared. Maybe that growth can be used to give him a better shot of a healthy relationship with another woman but with Felicity I don't find it that meaningful if I look at the full picture.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, way2interested said:

Following that, I was also pleasantly surprised that no one, especially Oliver, was blaming Oliver himself for what happened. Not that I thought Felicity would actually blame him, but I was glad we moved straight to blaming the actual bad guy instead of going into "this is my fault/this is not your fault" again. Yeah, Oliver still felt guilty afterwards and told everyone to leave because of the correlation effect, but that response felt more I guess nuanced (being somewhat pragmatic and sad) rather than usual self-loathing (plus that was immediately shut down too, so we moved straight through that as well). 

Absolutely, I loved that Felicity didn't blame Oliver and went straight to this is all Prometheus' fault, which it is.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

The real sad part for me was that no one, Oliver included, worried about what Felicity might feel. Oliver just killed her boyfriend and it happened after a year where her life was turned upside down. She is currently jobless, with no family living close by and her boyfriend just died. I'd worry. So it makes no big difference to me thinking about a possible reconciliation if Oliver slept or didn't sleep with the reporter (and I assumed he wasn't going to lie about killing mayo because it would have been just too low) because he didn't show he cared. Maybe that growth can be used to give him a better shot of a healthy relationship with another woman but with Felicity I don't find it that meaningful if I look at the full picture.

Yeah the Felicity aspect of this episode was gross as her boyfriend was basically used for Olivers man pain and even though I think what they are doing to bring the show back around to Olicity there's no garuntee I'm going to feel rewarded once I get there. Like I said it's all question marks right now over Olicity. It could be good; if could be a hot mess. 

I just posted in the spoiler thread that based on this season for Felucity so far I could see her deciding that there's nothing left for her in Star City and have her be the one that leaves in the season finale as is typical of every season. Which could be good if it's Oliver who brings her back and that's how they rebuild them. I don't know. 

But yeah in a year she lost her fiancée and probably the first person she opened her heart up to that fully, got shot, lost her ability to walk, had her father return only yo abandon her again, was indirectly responsible for thousands of deaths and refers to that as her legacy, lost her company and her sense of purpose outside the arrow cave, then loses her rebound boyfriend who get killed by her ex fiancée who seems to be loving on with someone else.

Spoiler

If they play Tina as similar to Sara in that she makes Felicity feel like her place on the team is usurped then I could see Felicity in the aftermath of defeating Promethus leaving town to try and start a fresh some where new. 

ETA: BTW not suggesting Emily leaving the show. As Stephen just said Felicity is indenspendible to the show 

Edited by kariyaki
Added spoiler tags
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I partially agree because I felt that he could have shown something more, although honestly I can't pin down what he could have done exactly. However, I still think he showed that he cared. He went directly to Felicity and told her the exact truth even though it hurt him and even though he knew it would hurt her because she needed to hear it directly from him (otherwise, how else would she have found out? Prometheus revealing it later?) and she deserved to know what happened. Him barely able to get it out showed to me that he was putting the truth and the ability to grieve that she deserved above his own feelings, rather than keeping it from her or just telling her point blank without remorse. I don't think comforting her directly would have been appropriate, so this is somewhat of the closest gesture he could do.

To me, I kind of paralleled it to Felicity telling Rory about Havenrock. She didn't comfort him but told him the truth he deserved to know even though it hurt her to tell him. Comforting him would have be inappropriate but putting the truth in the air and then letting their relationship grow from there was the best thing Felicity could have done.

Although, this is more of me using observational humor, I was kind of concerned that they were just letting Felicity mourn at the loft by herself. I mean, Thea has to stay in the bunker, but Felicity gets to mourn her bf's death after the year that she's had in a loft that's been broken into by Malcolm, Vandal Savage, Darhk, Ra's, and Oliver himself? What, do they think Prometheus will take a break until January too?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, bijoux said:

Yes, I was heartened that Oliver immediately told the truth and didn't try to hide what had happened.  THAT is growth.  And the team's reaction was spot on.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I partially agree because I felt that he could have shown something more, although honestly I can't pin down what he could have done exactly. However, I still think he showed that he cared. He went directly to Felicity and told her the exact truth even though it hurt him and even though he knew it would hurt her because she needed to hear it directly from him (otherwise, how else would she have found out? Prometheus revealing it later?) and she deserved to know what happened. Him barely able to get it out showed to me that he was putting the truth and the ability to grieve that she deserved above his own feelings, rather than keeping it from her or just telling her point blank without remorse. I don't think comforting her directly would have been appropriate, so this is somewhat of the closest gesture he could do.

To me, I kind of paralleled it to Felicity telling Rory about Havenrock. She didn't comfort him but told him the truth he deserved to know even though it hurt her to tell him. Comforting him would have be inappropriate but putting the truth in the air and then letting their relationship grow from there was the best thing Felicity could have done.

Although, this is more of me using observational humor, I was kind of concerned that they were just letting Felicity mourn at the loft by herself. I mean, Thea has to stay in the bunker, but Felicity gets to mourn her bf's death after the year that she's had in a loft that's been broken into by Malcolm, Vandal Savage, Darhk, Ra's, and Oliver himself? What, do they think Prometheus will take a break until January too?

I thought he could have asked Thea to check on her.

Anyway this comes after this season not wondering if she was having issues dealing with Havenrock or about being jobless so I haven't felt Oliver cares for a while. And if he can't care for her when they aren't together than I don't see a reason for them to get back together.

They could at least give Felicity a friend to make the whole thing less depressing for me, LOL.

• Love 8

I know how they could've made it slightly better. Had Oliver go see Felicity, just to check on her, and she tells him she wants to be alone. It's in character for Felicity and it would've made Oliver look a little better, IMO. Then he could go do whatever or whoever he wants.

Or Thea could've been there in the background while Felicity cries, just so we know that a) Felicity's not alone and someone does actually care about her and b) Thea and Felicity are actually friends.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 9

Yeah.....I've only seen gifs and read recaps but Oliver going to Reporter and sleeping with her doesn't bug me that much. I mean it does and I'm so not watching that but I can see him not wanting to go to someone involved in anyway (little do you know dumbass) and certainly not feeling like he should be there with Felicity. 

What bugs me is that Felicity was shown as alone. Everyone surrounding Oliver to support him with only Thea standing by Felicity. That part hurt. 

His little walk of shame into the lair did make me laugh. Dude looked miserable. 

• Love 1

I think the problem is that Felicity is always shown to be dealing with her problems alone, and this is just the latest example. They could have shown the team comforting her in the lair and then her at home alone later, if they really wanted to have her crying in the loft by herself. They even could have shown the others reaching out to comfort her and her backing away, if they didn't want to dedicate any dialogue to it. 

So, am I supposed to be happy that Oliver didn't sleep with the reporter and ignore the fact that he's just ignoring what she did to Thea and how much his sister doesn't like his "date" to the holiday party? It doesn't really make a difference if he slept with her or not (unless that comes up in a later episode?), but it's more just continually showing that he's with her when he should be elsewhere (drinks with her while Vigilante's out there, seeking her out because he feels alone when he just had an entire team of people tell him he's not and offer him comfort instead of Felicity). 

• Love 10

A couple of small moments I loved Theas US open storyline. I love Tommy/Ollie back stories.

Also Oliver looked like he was rolling his eyes at forst when Chase told him about Malone being kidnapped and then his deadpan delivery of "Do you think he's dead" Once more with feeling Oliver.

• Love 2

I'm predisposed to disliking the guy, I admit that openly and fully. I know he didn't bug a lot of people this episode, but I'm not in that group. His lame ass refusal to follow any sort of instructions is mind boggling, especially since it led to his capture and revealing GA's identity to a big bad foe. And now it's just ha, ha, he knows what I'm like.

So, reasons for Thea suiting up: alien invasion, Felicity's boy toy getting himself kidnapped.

Reason for Thea not suiting up: Oliver and other city officals being kidnapped.

I don't even blame her, I just find it funny.

• Love 5

Malone still bugged me but I'm willing to think fondly on him now that he's dead. I also have to admit that I did have a slightly blank reaction about the I killed Billy scene because frankly we were never given enough motivation to legitimately care about him because we never really saw him do anything we never really saw why he and Felicity were even together. His whole storyline was a lot of tell not show which took away some of the weight of Thea suiting up for him and Felicity, Oliver vowing to bring him home for Felicity and so on.

I guess that's why I wasn't as mad about the lack of comforting of Felicity by Oliver as I just don't think it would ring emotionally true anyway since it would again be the showing giving importance to someone who hasn't really earnt it.

I more just frustrated that this season the word to sum up Felicitys arc and relationships with the other characters is afterthought. Unless that's the whole point and plays into the second half somehow.

ETA: That being said Stephen and Emily did an amazing job trying to sell the storyline regardless of whether it left me scratching my head wondering when did everyone suddenly care about Billy or Felicitys relationship with him

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 2

Re: the "well-preserved bodies" mentioned in the recap. I believe that Prometheus had killed other people and staged them in the places where the bodies were 4 years ago. I mean, even in a superhero show, no one is going to leave dead bodies lying around for 4 years.

• Love 7

Flashback Olicity scene (courtesy of Arrow)...

Also, this season's "I know you in your bones" and "it's my choice, my life" must be the following:

-- Billy (to Felicity): "I'm not letting this go. Felicity, you know how I feel about you, but I have to be true to who I am."

-- Curtis (to Felicity, about Paul): "He just doesn't get it. I have to do this no matter what. I have to be true to who I am."

ETA: For anyone wanting to know what happened in this episode, I've posted the EW recap in the Starling City Times thread.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Now that Malone is dead I can feel sorry for him. He was just a boring but decent guy, and it's sad that he spent the last little bit of his life falling in love with someone who was using him to hide from her feelings and was never going to feel the same way about him. And, in fact, it was being with her that caused Prometheus to go after him. 

Not that he wouldn't have been killed anyway, being a cop in Star City. The man was doomed. 

Edited by Hiveminder
  • Love 4

I think why this ep was so flat for me is because all the previous MSF were great.  I liked this ep more than I thought I would but it was missing something.  The last scene did nothing for me personally.  My first thought was "Here we go again" not "When is Arrow back again" with excitement..  I will tune in because I am curious about a few things, but it does not bother me that I have to wait until the end of January.  Maybe this break will be good.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, arjumand said:

Continuity? What dis?

Don't take what the twitter people said seriously. What actually happened was after 507, someone asked Marc in a DM if they slept together, and he said "I would imagine so". It was made clear that this was his own headcanon, this response wasn't about 509 at all because the question asked was specifically about 507. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Don't take what the twitter people said seriously. What actually happened was after 507, someone asked Marc in a DM if they slept together, and he said "I would imagine so". It was made clear that this was his own headcanon, this response wasn't about 509 at all because the question asked was specifically about 507. 

Thank you for clarifying. I know @apinknightmare mentioned that as well.

• Love 1

I like what they are doing with Prometheus right now.  I don't care either current love interest for Olicity but at least 1 of them is dead. Hopefully, this means more story for Felicity but I am not gonna hold my breath. 

Looks like Black Siren is gonna con the group or something. We will see. 

• Love 2

Just thinking about it and getting through my haze of anger, I thought it was actually a rather solid episode that was just tainted by the last 45 seconds. The twist of Oliver killing Billy Malone was actually rather clever. And him telling Felicity immediately even though it was visibly killing him inside was growth on his part. Not only that, though, this twist also now personally connects Felicity to the main villain of the season in a way she never really was before. So seeing what happens with her in 5B will be very interesting. 

While I understand why Felicity was alone at the end (Curtis had his own issues, Diggle is confined in the bunker, Felicity isn't close to the other newbies, Oliver comforting her would've been highly inappropriate, and Thea... IDK are they even close?), but I didn't like it. The show really needs to learn how to make the core cast interact more, otherwise how would we even know they're friends? 

And like I said before, while I loathed Oliver going to Susan, I understand why he did. And to be honest, I'd like to stick with Stephen's head-canon about them not sleeping together because while the show may have hinted towards it, they didn't outright show it and Oliver did head back to the bunker the same night. So yeah. It didn't happen. I'm gonna treat this like how audiences treat comic book deaths... show them doing the deed (or taking their clothes off/the morning after etc.) or it didn't happen. 

The Laurel twist. Meh. Honestly, it's not intriguing at all. She's just one of the many who've come back to life even though she's most likely Black Siren. So I'm not really intrigued at all. Sorry, Stephen, but that surprise wasn't a 10. It was more of a 4. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I find it so sad that Oliver telling the truth about killing Mayo is to be considered significant character growth for him. The baby mama drama really broke this show in ways that are still having to be fixed 24 episodes later.

Oliver lying to his loved ones so he doesn't lose them even more than he already has... Sounds like a family trait

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Just thinking about it and getting through my haze of anger, I thought it was actually a rather solid episode that was just tainted by the last 45 seconds. The twist of Oliver killing Billy Malone was actually rather clever. And him telling Felicity immediately even though it was visibly killing him inside was growth on his part. Not only that, though, this twist also now personally connects Felicity to the main villain of the season in a way she never really was before. So seeing what happens with her in 5B will be very interesting. 

While I understand why Felicity was alone at the end (Curtis had his own issues, Diggle is confined in the bunker, Felicity isn't close to the other newbies, Oliver comforting her would've been highly inappropriate, and Thea... IDK are they even close?), but I didn't like it. The show really needs to learn how to make the core cast interact more, otherwise how would we even know they're friends? 

And like I said before, while I loathed Oliver going to Susan, I understand why he did. And to be honest, I'd like to stick with Stephen's head-canon about them not sleeping together because while the show may have hinted towards it, they didn't outright show it and Oliver did head back to the bunker the same night. So yeah. It didn't happen. 

The Laurel twist. Meh. Honestly, it's not intriguing at all. She's just one of the many who've come back to life even though she's most likely Black Siren. So I'm not really intrigued at all. Sorry, Stephen, but that surprise wasn't a 10. It was more of a 4. 

I agree with everything you are saying.  

Felicity in my opinion needs someone to go to in these bad times.  Everyone has someone.  Heck I would have even accepted Rory to go and check on Felicity because I do see a friendship starting there.  I was glad Oliver didn't comfort her.

I am interested in seeing what will happen with Felicity in 5B but my expectations right now are low because of past experiences.

And I also would put this surprise at a 1.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ladylaw99 said:

I am interested in seeing what will happen with Felicity in 5B but my expectations right now are low because of past experiences.

The only part that interests me is that Felicity will yet again for the 5th season in a row, be integral in taking down the bad guy :) 

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I find it so sad that Oliver telling the truth about killing Mayo is to be considered significant character growth for him. The baby mama drama really broke this show in ways that are still having to be fixed 24 episodes later.

I agree. I didn't even think he could have lied instead because it's basic human decency.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 6
Just now, wonderwall said:

The only part that interests me is that Felicity will yet again for the 5th season in a row, be integral in taking down the bad guy :) 

From your mouth to the EP's ears.  I hope so.  I can't take Felicity being put in the naughty corner anymore.  What did she do to these writer's to deserve such crappy writing?

• Love 1

I don't know, while watching the episode I was worried he wasn't going to tell her - which makes me really think about how I view season 1-3 Oliver... I mean it's either that or I was just afraid of the writers going for contrived drama yet again... 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

Thinking more about this, I feel like Billy was fridged for Felicity and will impact Felicity's SL as much as Oliver's, if not more.  I think that's why they showed her dealing with his loss alone. Felicity in a way mirrors Oliver now in that she was more or less lying to Billy about her life until her hand was forced.  Felicity immediately rejected any notion that it was Oliver's fault. IMO, Felicity will feel guilty because if she had never dated Billy, he wouldn't be dead, at least not by Oliver or Prometheus' hand. Now her journey, theoretically, should be about avenging Billy's death.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Thinking more about this, I feel like Billy was fridged for Felicity and will impact Felicity's SL as much as Oliver's, if not more.  I think that's why they showed her dealing with his loss alone. Felicity in a way mirrors Oliver now in that she was more or less lying to Billy about her life until her hand was forced.  Felicity immediately rejected any notion that it was Oliver's fault. IMO, Felicity will feel guilty because if she had never dated Billy, he wouldn't be dead, at least not by Oliver or Prometheus' hand. Now her journey, theoretically, should be about avenging Billy's death.

It's honestly sad that her journey is about avenging someone who the audience barely cares about... But it is what it is. I'm interested in seeing how Felicity will accomplish in avenging Malone. Felicity in the field more is something I've always wanted to see. 

I joked about Dream World Laurel hitching a ride on the alien pod to get Oliver, but you guys, she's dressed the same. At least it looks like it to me. Not, the crazy, hilarious version is that it actually IS Dream Laurel. A more plausible one is that Susan gave Oliver hallucinogens that makes him see dead people. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I joked about Dream World Laurel hitching a ride on the alien pod to get Oliver, but you guys, she's dressed the same. At least it looks like it to me. Not, the crazy, hilarious version is that it actually IS Dream Laurel. A more plausible one is that Susan gave Oliver hallucinogens that makes him see dead people. 

Nice catch! This would be a total rehash of Three Ghosts...

... So yeah this is likely what will happen considering the Arrow Writers are kind of big on rehashing stories/emotional beats nowadays.

Although, logistically speaking, KC likely filmed all of her scenes while they were filming 508, so it's likely they didn't change her out of those clothes because her time was limited and it was faster to not do any wardrobe changes.

• Love 1

I guess there was some sort of unspoken agreement between Oliver and Prometheus that the villain would take a break from terrorizing the team after he had Oliver kill Billy? Because otherwise, gotta love how they went from "Families in safe houses! What could Evelyn have told him?!" to no one seeming to remember that by the end of the episode. 

• Love 7