Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Hamilton

I loved it. They should consider doing more episodes of just one subject. Not for every episodes but when they have a good subject and a good narrator it really works. The drunkenly singing closing time was hilarious .  I loved the cameos from Questlove and Christopher Jackson (aka George Washington) .  I hope the rest of the episodes are as good otherwise maybe this should have been the season finale.

• Love 2

It's pretty cool how the show not only has black actors playing white people from history, but also women playing men. 

This was an excellent one. I kept thinking the actor playing George Washington was familiar. Yes! Bokeem Woodbine! I used to get him mixed up with Malcolm Barrett, but I keep them straight now. Loved Woodbine in Fargo. The. Best. Anyway, I didn't think he had enough to do here as Washington.

I'm not sure what my favorite part was. I really liked watching Aaron Burr during battle, nonchalantly shooting and knifing the enemy.

• Love 2

This episode was the absolute best and I'm not even a Hamilton fan. Lin Manuel-Miranda was so charming and funny and knew his stuff. I loved everything but his interactions with Derek were hilarious. Especially right at the end where Derek is basically laying on top of Lin eating fries. 

Hamilton and Burr looked hot. IDGAF.

This isn't something that should be done all the time, but you absolutely need a combo of a top notch narrator and a good story AND good actors that can work the script. There were a lot of DH vets in here. Was Dave Grohl in the constitutional convention? It was!

Way too many narrators get sloppy. That said, Paget Brewster or Artemis could do this with a fifth in them standing on their heads. 

The 'dear penthouse' letter was fantastic.

Of COURSE Tony Hale is Monroe. 

I also liked when Derek talked about LMM liking the Monkees and he was like "CUT!" to the camera.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:13 PM, peeayebee said:

This was an excellent one. I kept thinking the actor playing George Washington was familiar. Yes! Bokeem Woodbine! I used to get him mixed up with Malcolm Barrett, but I keep them straight now. Loved Woodbine in Fargo. The. Best. Anyway, I didn't think he had enough to do here as Washington.

That's so funny...I always think Bokeem looks like Dave Chappelle, and when I went to google Malcolm Barrett (who I realized I totally knew, but not his name), the first thing that came up was 'Malcolm Barrett looks like Dave Chappelle'. ANYWAY...I love Bokeem, and he was arguably the best part of an excellent season of 'Fargo', and yeah, he didn't have enough to do as Washington.

LMM is completely, if sometimes studiedly, adorable, whether he's drunk or sober. That little man has CHARISMA.

I also loved the mini-Arrested Development reunion. And weirdly, alia skakwat might have looked prettier as Hamilton than she ever has.

Loved this. I've only just started listening to Hamilton (stuck on the first five songs or so, keep repeating them).

I think I adore LMM now.

Bokeem Woodbine! Dave Grohl! Never liked Aubrey Plaza much but she was great here.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

LMM is completely, if sometimes studiedly, adorable, whether he's drunk or sober. That little man has CHARISMA.

He certainly showed it singing other peoples' words and music, in the surprise he and others cooked up for a gift to his new bride at their wedding reception. (If everyone here already knows it, apologies.) Note that he's the only one in the bunch who unerringly finds his light and stays in it.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Loved this. I've only just started listening to Hamilton (stuck on the first five songs or so, keep repeating them).

I think I adore LMM now.

Bokeem Woodbine! Dave Grohl! Never liked Aubrey Plaza much but she was great here.

I just watched this because I needed to clear stuff off the DVR, but this might have to stay. I got into Hamilton just a few months ago (I had hype aversion and thought nothing could be this good, but I was wrong), I urge you to get to "Right Hand Man", "What Did I Miss?", "Say No to This", and "The Room Where it Happens", they're such amazingly incredible songs!

I was just like, "Holy crap, is that Dave Grohl? Awesome!" And Lin-Manuel practically kissing the phone when Christopher Jackson was on it was probably my favorite part.

How drunk do you have to be to want Domino's?

On 12/2/2016 at 2:54 PM, Popples said:

I just watched this because I needed to clear stuff off the DVR, but this might have to stay. I got into Hamilton just a few months ago (I had hype aversion and thought nothing could be this good, but I was wrong), I urge you to get to "Right Hand Man", "What Did I Miss?", "Say No to This", and "The Room Where it Happens", they're such amazingly incredible songs!

I was just like, "Holy crap, is that Dave Grohl? Awesome!" And Lin-Manuel practically kissing the phone when Christopher Jackson was on it was probably my favorite part.

How drunk do you have to be to want Domino's?

Also "Satisfied," "It's Quiet Uptown," "That Would Be Enough"... hell, just about the entire album you'll find something to like.

• Love 1

Oh, LMM, there is no excuse for ordering Domino's. Ever. Order real pizza.

As someone who has been saying "Hamilton was the hottest of the founders" for years, I'm delighted he's finally getting some attention. But now that everyone and her sister is hyperventilating about the show, I'll have to find a new historical hottie.

I was afraid to watch thinking it couldn't be as good as it sounded...but it WAS!  Ali Shawkat does so well in these re-enactments and she was a brilliant choice.  So many great moments, I only wish PTV would write it up.  I had to squee when I saw Nevis, because I was just there on vacation and did not make the Hamilton connection.  I made a mojito connection instead.

• Love 1

I was bored and had a cat on my lap (and couldn't get up) so I watched this again On Demand. Funniest part (out of lots of funny parts): Hamilton and Burr writing to each other, "Motherfucker..."  "Motherfucker." Priceless.

• Love 1