Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Episode 3

In the wake of Pius's homily, multiple factions within the Vatican bond together, trying to seek anything they can find on their new pope. Lenny plans to bring forth a new resurgence of conservative Christianity as his former mentor, Cardinal Spencer, struggles with Cardinal Voiello over their inability to control the new Pope. Lenny forces Voiello to reveal that liberal forces in the College of Cardinals blocked Spencer's election as Pope, resulting in an agreement between the two men to use Lenny as a puppet to control the Papacy. When Lenny threatens to excommunicate Voiello, the liberal cardinal is forced to swear loyalty to him. Later, a chance encounter with Esther, the wife of a Pontifical Swiss Guard, leads to Lenny having a seizure in her presence. Lenny agrees to a press conference, making his counselor Sister Mary read a short statement.

Airing in the US on Sunday, January 22, 2017.

• Love 1

This is such a strange show.  The less I understand about what's really going on, the more I appreciate it.  I don't know if I'm moved by the beauty of the cinematography, the curious musical choices, or the great performances or what, but it's somehow riveting despite the slow pacing.  And I love the quirky sense of humor this show has.  I couldn't stop giggling as Viello confronted the Monsignor on a bed covered in stuffed toys, holding a stuffed deer for seemingly no reason.  I have no idea where this show plans to take me, but I'm really enjoying the ride.    

• Love 7

This show draws me in more with each episode.  We still don't  really know how Lenny got elected pope.  Each character is becoming more deeply drawn.  And yet much of it is also done in such strange ways - Gutierrez with his stuff animals and alcohol.  Spencer and Mary's attempts to bring Lenny back to some semblance of normalcy by playing angry dad.  Lenny admitting he became a priest because he couldn't think of anything else to do while juggling oranges as he did to seduce a woman before he took his orders.  Maybe that's the most quirky thing because, really, has any woman ever fallen for a man because he juggles?  You have to be really attractive to have someone overlook juggling and about to become a priest as your two primary draws. 

• Love 5

I really liked the first two episodes, but I LOVED this one.  The fact that I don't actually know which of Lenny's personas is the genuine one is really sucking me in.  He's cold, petty, vulnerable, penitent, cruel, wistful, duplicitous and each trait is reserved for one person.  I have no idea what parts are an act, or if all his interactions (even with God) are a ruse.

Also, this show is really timely since we're dealing with our own ruler that is making everyone nervous.  

• Love 5

I don't understand this show yet but I really do love it. 

The scene with the Cardinals sitting around reminded of the Sopranos.  It was like all the guys sitting around at the Bada Bing.

I don't know Silvio Orlando from anything else but he's stealing every scene, he's terrific.  Cardinal Voiello is the best.

• Love 1

Cardinal Voiello rocks!

1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Enjoyed the opening of this episode when Lenny is walking past the religious art.

A little levity before the darkness.

Buying Jude Law as the American Pope and Diane Keaton as the closest thing he has as family, Sister Mary.

I want to re-watch the credits sequence, I didn't realize that the pictures were changing until more than half way through.  Loved the neon blue.

Guess we are done with the Virgin Mary of the Neanderthals.

8 hours ago, revbfc said:

I really liked the first two episodes, but I LOVED this one.  The fact that I don't actually know which of Lenny's personas is the genuine one is really sucking me in.  He's cold, petty, vulnerable, penitent, cruel, wistful, duplicitous and each trait is reserved for one person.  I have no idea what parts are an act, or if all his interactions (even with God) are a ruse.

I'm leaning toward the idea that none (or at least very little) of it is an act.  Lenny strikes me a very mercurial figure, and it wouldn't surprise me at all, if (for example) he was being honest to both Tommaso and to God in his private bedroom confession. Even though the things he said in both seem inherently contradictory.  

• Love 2

This show's attraction to me is weird... I'm not dying to watch it every week, but once I start, I'm totally engaged. It has a luxurious kind of indolent pace, but I don't feel bored at all. Jude Law is compelling and disturbingly sexy, but in a Patrick Bateman way (like, I wanna bang him, but at the same time, am afraid he might murder me).

I also love the occasional surrealism and sometimes wonder what's real and what's not. For instance, Cardinal Voiello's mole is very prominent, but there was one particular scene in the Pope's office in which it looked so exaggerated and fake. Maybe it was actually the same as usual, but it made me wonder if this was how Lenny was seeing it? I like odd, unanswered questions. (And yup, I loved LOST.)

• Love 3

Meh.  I want to like this show but it's a struggle.  I kept playing Candy Crush instead of attending to what was going on and that's a shame because it really is a beautiful show -- it's visuals are more engaging than the plot.

Also if you have your eyes on an iPad you risk missing a silent kangaroo sighting.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2017 at 0:33 AM, WatchrTina said:

Also if you have your eyes on an iPad you risk missing a silent kangaroo sighting.

I've been knitting and crocheting (pink pussycat hats!) lately but if I don't have my eyes on the screen I miss too much.  For one, I don't speak Italian so I have to look at the subtitles in those scenes.

• Love 2

I too am enjoying the different credits sequences. I don't watch a ton of TV -- no, really, I don't -- so I really don't know: Is this kind of mixup common?

I also like the slow unfolding of these main characters' lives and personalities. Part of me reallllly wants to like Lenny (as opposed to just wanting to fuck him, which, as I said about last episode, is mainly because evil-snotty Jude Law is hot) because I was bummed when Voitello busted Gutierrez and his mini-liquor cabinet, Now Gutierrez is working against Lenny...does he have any real friends at all? (Still not sure about Sister Mary...)

Also, yes, the parallel to today is interesting. No doubt as a pious Catholic in Lenny's world I'd be going "What the fucking fuck?" every single day.

When this limited series concludes I may have to take a weekend to binge-watch the whole thing.

Edited by ExMathMajor
  • Love 1

So is Lenny actually nuts? 

I liked when Sister Mary listed out all the pope's titles like he was Dany on Game of Thrones. 

I didn't get the 'absence is presence' concept when he's inviting strangers up to the Vatican for a chat. 

I do buy the arrogance of the church being all up in arms about 'what the papers say.' A weird speech by the pope would make the news, but I hardly buy it dominating the news cycle, at least in the USA. 

Just because you have a crate of booze under your bed doesn't make one an alcoholic though. I would have called the bluff. So, tell the pope what? I like to have a drink before bed? Or one before going to dinner? And? Unless you can't have booze in your room. 

It sounded like Lenny was a compromise choice in the vote. That makes a little sense because he is so young. 

Seems like Alaska is going to get a lot of cardinals. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

Randomly got into the show. Wasn't sure what to make of it. First episode was way too weird and I couldn't put my finger on... anything lol

I'm still confused since the show seems to be so different in the goal and the device from anything else I've seen. Normally I'd be pissed at the lack of the concise story, or a plot line. The whole thing seems like a super long exposition. That stuff usually annoys me.

Not in this show... why? I'm so confused by me loving the pace and state of confusion that I should hate lol

Also loved the new credits. Is the shooting star following (or actually preceding) Lenny across the pictures supposed to be a parallel with the star of Bethlehem?