Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Chapter 9

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I'm still shocked over here about Sarah Paulson's accent. I was positive it was going to be a plot point and that she was deliberately trying to make it sound sketchy. Why force the character to be British? 

I honestly thought that when the Bloggers were in the trailer and watching the TV screens they'd hear Audrey speaking in a normal, American, voice and be like. "And she's not even British!!" I was actually expecting that. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I honestly thought that when the Bloggers were in the trailer and watching the TV screens they'd hear Audrey speaking in a normal, American, voice and be like. "And she's not even British!!" I was actually expecting that. 

Me too! I literally thought it was going to come out at some point during the last couple of episodes, so that must be some sort of indication of my respect for SP as an actress, since I was positive that there was a reason that her accent was subpar. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I guess I'm the only one who hates this season unless I missed something. The acting is terrible which is weird to me because we're dealing with some pretty good actors in general. I felt like I was watching the Disney channel when the kids were exploring the woods, the acting was so bad. So the question remains, is the bad acting purposeful? The only good performance is by Angela Bassett and I think that's only because it's probably impossible for her to do anything less than stellar, even when trying.

The storyline is so stupid. The poor decisions by the characters make me feel like I'm watching a B movie. It is so over the top campy that I can't see how it isn't somehow supposed to be that way but I don't understand why they would do that.

This episode was the worst with unrealistic reactions by the characters. I don't think anybody would be as calm as that guy was when he found his fellow actors, presumably friends, brutally murdered. 

Furthermore, I think it's sort of boring. I only continue to watch because I love the series. I've been glued to every episode since the first season but this one is such a disappointment. Am I really the only one who thinks this season is horrible?

I think a lot of people are missing that this season is primarily satire.  They are making fun of a culture that is obsessed with "reality" that bears no resemblance to actual reality. Of how everyone is obsessed with becoming famous or infamous at any cost.  How we live our lives in front of cameras and seek and receive validation through voyeurism and exhibitionism.  The whole point here is that NONE of them do what normal people would do in that situation.  Who would go back there if all that happened? Who would risk death for fame? They made up excuses for why they returned but really it was just to spend more time in front of the camera, with the irony being that the camera footage was all that survived in the end.  At least the ratings for the second season will beat The Walking Dead, Empire, and the Superbowl.  LOL!

That AHS did all of this while spoofing or offering homage to modern day classic horror movies and tropes made the satire all the more fun.  And that we got bona fide scares to boot just made this season stellar for me.

We were not supposed to take any of these people seriously.  When you realize that you'll see that AHS just presented a master class in acting by the whole cast.  Kathy Bates said it all in her final words before the REAL Butcher dispatched her, "I just wanted to be on television"  That was the whole story in a nutshell.

• Love 23
4 minutes ago, Timetoread said:

I think a lot of people are missing that this season is primarily satire.  They are making fun of a culture that is obsessed with "reality" that bears no resemblance to actual reality. Of how everyone is obsessed with becoming famous or infamous at any cost.  How we live our lives in front of cameras and seek and receive validation through voyeurism and exhibitionism.  The whole point here is that NONE of them do what normal people would do in that situation.  Who would go back there if all that happened? Who would risk death for fame? They made up excuses for why they returned but really it was just to spend more time in front of the camera, with the irony being that the camera footage was all that survived in the end.  At least the ratings for the second season will beat The Walking Dead, Empire, and the Superbowl.  LOL!

That AHS did all of this while spoofing or offering homage to modern day classic horror movies and tropes made the satire all the more fun.  And that we got bona fide scares to boot just made this season stellar for me.

We were not supposed to take any of these people seriously.  When you realize that you'll see that AHS just presented a master class in acting by the whole cast.  Kathy Bates said it all in her final words before the REAL Butcher dispatched her, "I just wanted to be on television"  That was the whole story in a nutshell.

I, for one, loved that it has been a satire. That it has satirized so many horror movies over the years, as well as popular paranormal TV shows, has been great. From the characters to how they were killed and when, someone really knows their horror genre. I have mad respect for that. Someone upthread mentioned plagiarism but movies and TV shows do that all the time. Hell, look at STRANGER THINGS. 

The only thing that throws me off, as others have mentioned, is that it's hard for me to suspend disbelief that the reality series was such a big hit. Perhaps if it had not been filmed as a PARANORMAL ACTIVITY type of show (which is jarring since it takes you out of the action by going back and forth to the interviewees) and more along the lines of a straight reenactment it might have been better. Or just glimpses of the show from time to time. The fact that we actually watched the show that was meant to take American by storm means we can't use our imaginations. I mean, Kathy Bates was awesome but in the few bits we saw her in I couldn't imagine her character being this huge THING that people went crazy over. I think that is where the problem was for me. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I, for one, loved that it has been a satire. That it has satirized so many horror movies over the years, as well as popular paranormal TV shows, has been great. From the characters to how they were killed and when, someone really knows their horror genre. I have mad respect for that. Someone upthread mentioned plagiarism but movies and TV shows do that all the time. Hell, look at STRANGER THINGS. 

The only thing that throws me off, as others have mentioned, is that it's hard for me to suspend disbelief that the reality series was such a big hit. Perhaps if it had not been filmed as a PARANORMAL ACTIVITY type of show (which is jarring since it takes you out of the action by going back and forth to the interviewees) and more along the lines of a straight reenactment it might have been better. Or just glimpses of the show from time to time. The fact that we actually watched the show that was meant to take American by storm means we can't use our imaginations. I mean, Kathy Bates was awesome but in the few bits we saw her in I couldn't imagine her character being this huge THING that people went crazy over. I think that is where the problem was for me. 

I thought it was hilarious.  It is satire.  No way that dumbass show would be number one.  The point was that this is what the people who do this garbage dream of.  Number one in their time slot, beating out the tv juggernauts. Sidney and the crap he said.  That the Pigman was just a famewhore.  That the kids went on about how many hits they had.  That the cannibal family was as bad as the rest.  LOL.  

• Love 5
21 hours ago, JyDanzig said:

You really hit the nail on the head with that one.  For me, full stop, those first 5 episodes are the worst work AHS has ever done.  The format just failed.  Such a dreary, unenjoyable, boring, suspense-free slog.  I was really forcing myself through, struggling to pay attention, in the hopes I would like the twist.  And I did!  The last 4 episodes have been flawed but much improved.  But not so improved that they were able to dig out of the hole they were in.  I'm surprised to see how many people love this season, in my rankings I suspect it will land as 2nd-worst (after Hotel).

I liked it--thought it was very clever.  It was a different way to introduce and establish ten essential characters--and then ret-conning half of those characters at the midway point freshened everything up and created multiple new talking points.  Did Actor Lee take on Real Lee's alcoholism?  Real Shelby's relationship to Real Matt and Actor Matt.  You thought Actor Butcher/Witch/Polks were scary?  Ha!  Take a gander at the Real ones.  Creepy factor UP.

There's grumbling about the derivative portions of the story and grumbling about the novel part, too.  Tough crowd!

17 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I think one of the twists in the finale should be Dick Van Dyke mourning the tragic death of his illegitimate daughter.

Pardon?

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

The shot of Pig Man riding to the house with the Uber driver (of course it's Rhett again!) had me absolutely fucking howling on the floor.

He was so stoic in the backseat! Obviously getting into character.

Loved this one and the season in general, and after that epic shitshow on Tuesday needed this cleansing with blood and fire. But I do have some questions about the Polks. If they're so well off they can afford to bribe the all the police forces--local, county, state--and afford coke and multiple cameras, why do they live in such shit? How to they both watch TV/social media and keep such an insular and backward worldview? Why the hell couldn't they afford to outbid Matt and Shelby for the house in the first damn place? 

• Love 5

I think one of the twists in the finale should be Dick Van Dyke mourning the tragic death of his illegitimate daughter.

Pardon?

Dick Van Dyke was widely mocked for his terrible, terrible English "Cockney" accent in Mary Poppins.

• Love 3

what I can't wait for the last episode is how the cops explain how (from my rough estimate) eighteen people are horribly murdered in 72 hours and find some way to implicate Lee for all of them. I get the feeling Lana is going to check out the house to confirm Lee's story and will live (very shortly) to regret it. I just hope it'll be a quick death after all she went through in Braircliff.

That house needs to be demolished, and put up a fence around the whole area with a cover story that something like it's a nature reserve or it's a dumping ground for toxic waste so nobody and I mean nobody ever goes in there. This place is worse than Murder House and the Hotel Cortez combined. Those two places you at least have a chance of walking out of alive.

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 3

Maybe they can bring her in once more this year as Marcia Clark to prosecute Lee.

American Horror Story: The People v. Lee Harris. 

I get the feeling Lana is going to check out the house to confirm Lee's story and will live (very shortly) to regret it. I just hope it'll be a quick death after all she went through in Braircliff.

How old would Lana even be at this point?  If was in her late 20s/early 30s in the the 1960s, she's either close to 80 or past that age by 2016.  My point only being that I don't see someone that age running off to the slaughter house to check things out for herself.  She'd send someone and let them get killed.      

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

American Horror Story: The People v. Lee Harris. 

How old would Lana even be at this point?  If was in her late 20s/early 30s in the the 1960s, she's either close to 80 or past that age by 2016.  My point only being that I don't see someone that age running off to the slaughter house to check things out for herself.  She'd send someone and let them get killed.      

We know Lana lives to old age and I don't see even AHS being the kind of show cruel enough to send an old woman to a murder house just to get murdered especially such a popular character as Lana Winters.   Its more likely going to be an interview type thing a hero character vs a villian character.  Battle of wits till the end.

Edited by Chaos Theory
On 11/11/2016 at 0:34 PM, Nowhere said:

^And since it's not a plot point that means she's just shitty. As somebody else previously stated, even the things she says are not typical of what a British person would say in the situation, which means not only does her accent suck but the script also sucks. 

Maybe something will come out in the Lana Winters interview with Lee about this - like Lee will say something about Audrey not really being British or something like that. Or as someone said upthread - maybe it was to differentiate between the 3 characters Sarah Paulson played. (Then again, seems as if that was the reason, her accent would have been better.)

On 11/11/2016 at 7:54 PM, Gemma Violet said:

I agree with the complaints about the darkness & the shaky camera work.  Especially the darkness.  I don't like to have to strain to understand the action on a TV show, but that's what I had to do on many of the episodes.  Why not just give us a little more light so we can actually see what happens on screen?

Funny but a bit off topic. When I was a little girl, I remember my mom and I watching a movie on TV called "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman with someone terrorizing her. So in this one scene, Audrey's blind character comes home from a night out and as she comes in the house, she walks down a hallway with a lamp on near a painting on the wall above it. So I say to my mom, "She's blind - why do they need a light on?"

My mom answers, "So you can see the picture".

I say, "But she's blind - she can't see the picture anyway."

My mom finally makes it clear to me..."No, the light is so WE can see what is going on in the movie".

OHHHHHHH...Then I got it. LOL

• Love 2

I liked how they set up the first 5 episodes as the re-enactment.  Like a lot of us when we watch those kind of shows we have a lot of skepticism - like ummmmm yeah sure the fridge slid across the kitchen, and all the windows blew out mmmmhmmmmmsure.  

Syd has seen his fair share of hoaxes and famewhores, and produces it never believing Shelby and Matt's story.  The re-enactors didn't believe it either, and it took them longer to understand that this is really happening - this isn't a Syd production.

It's all great fun when he decides to go "reality" tv with it.  Syd sets it up so there is increased drama and tension just between the actors.  Syd hires the Seal guy to come mess with them, and pretty likely employed the Polk's to play along.  Syd planned to manipulate them over to the Polk's and have them mess with them, but the Polk's took it too far.  This would explain the cameras in the barn and around the yard not just in the house.

While watching it I was wondering is the land really haunted?  Were the Polks killing them for fun?  Did Syd accidentally hire a Serial Killer?  

I'll have to keep Murder House as my #1 - fake accents annoy the crap out of me, and I don't know why they had to do it - Stop it Ryan!! fake accents are like nails on a chalk board!!!! 

• Love 2

Ugh. That was such a cold blooded penultimate episode. No clue why but the final two vloggers' deaths got me.  When she said to him she was so sorry and then they reached out to each other only for Milo to be pulled away with both of them screaming I cringed.

Then you hear and see them being impaled and lit aflame. Twitter and Instagram no doubt lost its shit when the collective audience realized that that it was all real. I mean, how do you recover from watching what you realize were the last excruciating moments of two teenage kids? Hope their families sued the hell out of that police force because it is documented on camera that they called them, were hung up on, and repeatedly testified that they called the cops and they weren't coming.

Sadly, Monet was still alive and moving when Audrey ran from the house. She bled out trapped on that table.

And then poor Audrey! At least she wasn't overlooked and left down there to down in the cellar. She climbed back up on a busted shoulder and head injury to die breathing somewhat fresh air. Poor thing.

For some reason I feel like for the regular actors this was a great palate cleanser from the previous seasons of slowly getting to the point. They got to just run around screaming their fool heads off from set piece to set piece (scary house, the woods, polk house) and now have to act. I"m kind of sad we didn't get Gabby Sidibe somehow in this. If they did a FFWD she could be Flora who comes back to the house years later for 'closure'.

And Jessica Lange totally would've been a kickass Butcher.

I haven't been this interested in a AHS finale since Asylum.

Actually it would be kinda cool if they bring back Gabourey Sidibe as adult Flora. Maybe Flora grows up to be Queenie the human voodoo doll from "Coven"?

Maybe I wasn't watching carefully because I was drinking but... wasn't Queenie killed in the Hotel Cortez?

• Love 2