Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Yolk

Tara Ariano

I only recently learned the purpose of the egg yolk, so I'm curious about the episode title, how it relates.  The white part of the egg is the part that will be a chicken if the egg is fertilized.  The yolk is what the embryo will consume as it grows to be a baby chicken. 

• Love 2

When they were showing the road in front of Amantha when she was driving I was so afraid she was going to hit somebody and then get in trouble because she was high. 

*edited to say now I know where I have seen Billy before. He was the bodyguard on House Of Cards.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 3

I love that the show has spent the time bringing every character's story forward. I think this was important ground laying for the rest of the season. I have become so attached to all of these characters I needed that. Seeing the fallout from Daniel's banishment illustrates the profound effect it had and continues to have on his extended family.

I had been so looking forward to Jon making good on his threats to the senator. To not quit till the entire truth was exposed. I'm wondering if he will go so far as to leave his job and go back to Paulie. I hope so, I don't think he will ever feel satisfied otherwise.

Teddy's story arc is pretty interesting. Will he continue on this more stable and balanced path, especially if he and Tawny divorce (which I fully expect)? His growth since Season 1 has been fascinating and just one of the many ways the show is so amazing. Living, breathing real characters that grow and evolve.

Edited by Stella
  • Love 7

I realize this episode was about the absence of Daniel and I think the audience was supposed to feel it, too, but it didn't work as well for me as other episodes that haven't been Daniel centric. 

I don't need to see each and every step of Janet cleaning her refrigerator--and I feel disloyal saying that because I love Janet. I think it would have worked better for me if they had spent more time with either Daggett's investigation or Jon's dedication to exonerating Daniel. 

There was too much time spent quietly struggling in the Holden home. Just my meaningless two cents.

I definitely think Jon will leave his job and make exonerating Daniel his personal quest, even if it doesn't lead to a full legal exoneration by the finale. Emotional may be enough.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 4

I continue to love this show.  The so subtle acting of such deep characters is amazing.  And I cheered when Janet broke those eggs.  That showed how deep her anger really is.

Loved that they showed Janet leaving the message for Daniel that we heard last week.  Puts the timeline in perspective.

• Love 8

On one hand they spent the first episode exclusively on Daniel, so having the second spent on all the others was a symmetric move. On the other hand this is the first episode of Rectify where I look back and think "yeah, so nothing really happened, did it."

There were no really stirring scenes in this episode and while I respect Rectify's narrative mode for me this was the least interesting episode of the show.

• Love 3

I liked it. It touched on how everyone is doing without Daniel in their lives. 

I didn't think too much time was spent showing Janet cleaning the refrigerator, and I'm glad she did because that thing was a mess. At first I thought it was kind of funny to washing all the shelves and drawers in the bathtub, but not only do I understand the practicality of it, I also think that the scene was an allusion to Janet bathing Daniel when he was little. 

Tawny and Teddy at the restaurant was a nice scene. Teddy really seems to be trying to be supportive. 

I don't remember from last season if Tawny had said anything about going to work at a nursing home. Did she have a background in healthcare? BTW, I thought for sure she would go retrieve that old man's plaque. The actor looked familiar. I can't recall his name, if it's who I'm thinking of.

The scene that caused my eyes to tear up was when Janet told Ted she was going to Nashville and stand in front of the halfway house until Daniel came out. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't remember from last season if Tawny had said anything about going to work at a nursing home. Did she have a background in healthcare? BTW, I thought for sure she would go retrieve that old man's plaque. The actor looked familiar. I can't recall his name, if it's who I'm thinking of.

He was familiar to me too but there's no listing for him at IMDB.  I think Tawny will try to get his plaque.

I know that around here, you can take a short class (two weeks) and take a test to be a Certified Nursing Assistant.  It's often the first step toward more classes, and either a LPN or RN degree.  Maybe that's what Tawny is planning.  I don't think she'd have to take a test if she was already a nurse. 

After reading the recap, I almost didn't watch -- no Daniel.  But I'm glad I did.  I liked reconnecting, and it seems that Amantha has lost some of that hard edge, and Teddy and Tawny seem to be more honest about their feelings.  Teddy wants Amantha's apartment so he'll have a neutral place to be with Tawny.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Teddy wants Amantha's apartment so he'll have a neutral place to be with Tawny.

I thought this too, but I'm curious about his definition of neutral.  Does he want a  place where he can make the moves, and start in with "pretty pretty please"?

I thought this episode was terrific.  Every scene with Janet just broke my heart.  

• Love 6

I don't think Teddy wants to trade places with Amantha because of Tawny. I think he's just uncomfortable at home. Maybe he feels like he's supposed to fill Daniel's shoes -- not that Ted or Janet are thinking or feeling that, but Teddy, like everyone, feels the vacuum of Daniel's absence. Being in the house just amplifies that feeling. Being in a new setting, the apartment, would erase that feeling, or at least Teddy hopes. Also, he still has the embarrassment of Daniel's assault of him, esp being around Janet and Ted, who know.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I thought this too, but I'm curious about his definition of neutral.  Does he want a  place where he can make the moves, and start in with "pretty pretty please"?

Yeah, "neutral" means "private".  He's probably got intimacy in the back of his mind, but I think it's mostly privacy -- being alone with her.  He can't intimidate her when others are around.  Teddy's showing unusual patience with everyone and that's not in his character. 

Hard to know if Teddy could have realized in therapy just how his insane "sibling rivalry" with Daniel was responsible for destroying his marriage (granted it just "tipped" the balance) and by extension upsetting the balance in his Dad's happy second marriage as well, when events led to a "don't make me chose" moment for both Janet and Big Ted (Daniel's assault) and Ted banishing Daniel. -- all preceded by Teddy's territorial hostility and menace toward Daniel.  Teddy was chip off the old block, in the cat birds' seat, wanting to do big things and even leave Paulie for bigger things. 

It's normal enough to get jealous ... Jealousy of dead siblings you've never known is not uncommon. Then you get over it. Teddy had the world on a string, and Daniel had nothing and now has less.  What AA calls "stinking thinking" ... that roiling indugence of resentment and "poor me" that is the beginning of a slippery slope to bad act. Ted and Janet are both unhappy, as is their marriage ... Teddy'd rather not be a witness, let Amantha be a dutiful daughter ... she's innocent.  Both Teds doubtless thought it would be so nice if things could go back to how they were ... before.  I'd guess Ted Sr. is probably frustrated as hell that Janet can't just accept things, her baby is out of jail, starting a new life ... nothing to be miserable about. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 3

You can't really get angry at someone as depressed as Janet ... Sorry. I wasn't specific. It's very frustrating to be in marriage when your partner is not-gonna-bother to get-out-of-bed-today depressed, hiding on the landing, going back to bed, to avoid breakfast socializing (am I remembering correctly?) 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Yeah, "neutral" means "private".  He's probably got intimacy in the back of his mind, but I think it's mostly privacy -- being alone with her.  He can't intimidate her when others are around.  Teddy's showing unusual patience with everyone and that's not in his character. 

Whew. I've *always* reacted to Teddy with fear whenever he's in a scene with Tawny, because Tawny always seems afraid and uncomfortable around him. I've been unsure how to read their attempt at reconciliation because Tawny always acts like she'd rather be anywhere else than in a room with him. I suppose only a few months have passed and maybe she's still feeling guilty or obligated to try to work things out. She should listen to her instincts.

Or to put another way, Teddy still makes my skin crawl when he's with Tawny and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be reacting that way, or if I'm supposed to be cheering for his "growth".

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Janet smashing those eggs and her little smile as she walked out into the parking lot---loved it!

Also got a kick out of Teddy's line, "No, I got a Prius!" and Amantha's delighted laugh in response. I don't know what to make of Teddy right now but I hope he's getting his mental/emotional act together. I expect him and Tawney to divorce and I hope it's amicable and played as two people who just don't work together anymore, no big drama or anything.

I know I've mentioned it before, but where in the world is Tawney getting her clothes? That shirt she had on in the diner looks like something someone much older might wear. Amantha should take her shopping. Not that I love Amantha's style, but at least she's not dressing like she's in a nursing home. /end shallow mini-rant
Liked seeing Amantha and Big Ted together. I liked her old friend, too. I appreciated that he was aware of how scary the situation would be to a female walking alone at night and that he was trying to be as non-threatening as possible. 
I actually loved pretty much every scene of this one. It was great to see the dynamics of everyone, how they relate to each other now, without Daniel around, the glimpses of how they likely were before Daniel's release. Everyone trying to be encouraging or whatever of Jared's camping adventure cracked me up. I think I laughed out loud a few times during this one, which was really awesome. No tears at all this time! Ha!
Another great episode.

• Love 7

Yes, I was thinking about first-season Teddy and his exuding-success-driven public persona (and his ambition to be a bigger fish in a bigger pond than his dad achieved or aspired to be) .. part of his control-freak macho dominance of trophy-wife Tawney.  Her loyalty to him measured by her submission, particularly publicly, and his world rocked by her obvious interest in and sympathy for loser-excon-Daniel. What would people think? He's really been knocked down to size (and then some). 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 4

Yeah. . . Teddy and Tawny.  Grrrrl, just draw a line and get going with your life.  You don't really have to steel yourself and put yourself through those "date nights."

And how about Teddy trying to get Amantha to pay half the rent if he can get her to swap living places?  Just natural for him to work an angle, like drawing breath, apparently.

(Stage whisper to Amantha:  do not be out there sparking up with your former co-worker, now subordinate.  Maintaining your authority is going to be difficult enough.)

I have TOTALLY lost track of all the other young men who may or may not have been involved with the original crime and the subsequent connected crimes.

• Love 2
On 12/7/2016 at 11:45 PM, Superpole2000 said:

I like the Amantha character. Beautiful women with sarcastic, smartass, cynical attitudes have always been my weakness. Conversely, I lost interest in Tawney a long time ago.

I don't mind watching her but it would be a bitch to have a relationship with her. She's pretty and has personality, but she can't ever speak without a snotty remark and that would drive me nuts.

Tawney just needs a personality 101 class.