Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Nobody Else Is Dying Today

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Lt. Casey finds himself in a bad spot when a forklift accidentally pierces a tank storing acid. Casey is forced to use extreme measures to help a father and daughter in peril. Dawson and Brett respond to an elderly woman who has a difficult senior advocate. Mouch and Brett continue with their secret project, and Otis shares some exciting news as he prepares himself for an unusual expedition.

This episode reminded me why I detest Gabby. 

The guy reprimanding her is probably onto something, I think she's more intolerable while on the ambulance.  

Did Casey even agree to be a father? They weren't living together, she went full scale ahead with wanting Louis without him. It was either he get on board or they have nothing and she loses the kid. So may be she can cut the guy working 2 jobs plus raising an insta-kid a break and let him go golf for a couple hours. 

Good for Severide for walking away from her attempt of a Casey bash session. Also good of Brett for telling her never to put her in that position again with their boss. 

• Love 14
38 minutes ago, Artsda said:

This episode reminded me why I detest Gabby. 

The guy reprimanding her is probably onto something, I think she's more intolerable while on the ambulance.  

Did Casey even agree to be a father? They weren't living together, she went full scale ahead with wanting Louis without him. It was either he get on board or they have nothing and she loses the kid. So may be she can cut the guy working 2 jobs plus raising an insta-kid a break and let him go golf for a couple hours. 

Good for Severide for walking away from her attempt of a Casey bash session. Also good of Brett for telling her never to put her in that position again with their boss. 

This. It seems like they completely skipped the part where Casey agreed to get back together with Gabby and raise the kid. She made a big deal out of doing this on her own, which is why she had to live in Hermann's little space that they had to fix up in a hurry for the initial home check to see if it was kid-safe or whatever.

When she was on her rant to Severide, she mentioned how this was the first time Louie had seen she and Casey fight (I can guarantee it won't be the last - not with her "me, me, me" attitude), but Louie had that same sad sack look that he always has and seemed completely unaffected. We've heard about him enjoying himself and smiling - Cindy mentioned he had a good time playing with her kids - but we've yet to see it happen around Gabby. He's also barely said 3 words. I know the kid has been through a rough time, but if I were social worker and every time I came by and saw him so unhappy and still not talking or seeming to warm up to Gabby/that environment, I would be a little concerned at this point - especially since he has enjoyed himself (so they've said) in other settings.

There's also been no indication that Louie is in any kind of therapy either, which may help him given what he's been through. I'm surprised it wasn't required, at least for a certain period of time after Gabby was allowed to foster him. I'm sure she will try to adopt him, and, knowing this show, it will go through for Saint Gabby, but if Louie hasn't progressed, she might not be right for him and not providing the right atmosphere/enough stability for him. I mentioned in a post a couple episodes ago that her being gone overnight when she's on shift might not be the best thing for him - given that his mother died, part of him must think that every time she leaves and is gone for a night or two that she might not come back. As it seems Casey works the same shifts as she does 95% of that time, that makes it hard to build a relationship with him as well and for them to build a relationship as a family. Also, it shouldn't fall on Casey to bail her out all the time so she can keep Louie, yet she demanded an episode or so ago that he do "whatever it takes" so she doesn't lose Louie. She didn't care if it would cost him his political position or how many bridges it could burn for him - she just cared about what she wanted. What is her selfish behavior going to teach Louie? Demand that everyone else do what you want them to and insist that you are always right, no matter what. If anyone dares to go against you, then throw a fit and tell them to get out of your life. That poor kid is going to grow up with that warped sense of entitlement that she has and the fact that she has absolutely no respect for other people or their feelings and what might be best for someone else.

I also hated the thing with Brett and that smug little look on Gabby's face when they asked Brett if she agreed. Gabby just turned to her with this smirk like "I know she's going to agree and once again, I'll be untouchable." The fact that she was so obvious about it was absurd and very disrespectful. At least try to act contrite, even if you really aren't. She honestly believes she will never be formally reprimanded, demoted or fired. She thinks she is completely untouchable, even more so now that she's both a paramedic and a firefighter. Watch her try to make squad next and have no trouble getting on - she'll forget all about worrying about her safety for Louie because she'll expect Casey to deal with it.

And yeah, bitching at him about wanting to play golf when he actually has 3 jobs (firefighter, councilman, and his own construction company) was ridiculous. Blaming him and claiming she told him about he schedule change was bullshit to. I'm willing to bet she forgot because Gabby only thinks about Gabby.

Why can they not get her off of this show? Casey deserves so much better and I keep thinking about how much better this show would be if they had killed her off instead of Shay. Is that wrong?

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 12

Usually I commend this show for their action sequences but the writing for this episode seemed really weak. First, the plot with Casey. I don't know what kind of warehouse that was supposed to be, but Uh-Oh, the guy accidentally rammed the giant vat of sulfuric acid, which wasn't even supposed to be there, and just happened to be a few feet away from giant piles of aluminum shavings. I mean . . . c'mon. The whole thing just felt very lazy. Assuming the containers were strong enough to actually hold sulfuric acid, then you'd really have to put a lot of effort into penetrating them. I don't think just bumping into them by accident would do it. And the forklift driver must have literally accelerated as soon as he made contact.

Then the thing with Gabby, Sylvie and the old woman - the lady who worked as a senior advocate seemed so shady I was sure it was going to turn out she was bilking the old woman or something. Then nothing came of it but a reprimand from their boss, and nothing came of that either, except Sylvie didn't like getting yelled at. Whatever.

The subplot with Otis and Cruz was dumb and felt like the writers were just trying to find something for them to do. I'm tired of Sylvie and Mouch's romance novel too. That's gone on long enough.

At least we were spared any more Severide and Stella nonsense, so there's that. But I agree that Gabby grows more insufferable by the day. And Louie remains the Saddest Looking Boy in the Whole World.

• Love 2

I actually didn't mind Gabby this episode.  I mean, I thought she was wrong and unfair, but that's human.  She isn't the first new foster parent to freak out and overreact to something and she won't be the last.  But I really liked that, for once, the show actually acknowledged that she was being unfair instead of validating her as it often does.  It was pretty gratifying to see Severide (another character who tends to be over-validated by the show in my opinion), gently call her out on it.

The warehouse crisis was completely implausible, but I thought the actors did a pretty good job of selling it.  I was tense and invested in the outcome.  When the hell did Casey learn to do one of those makeshift tracheotomies though?

Honestly, I dislike Brett more than Gabby at this point.  I mean, she was right in this episode that she shouldn't have been pulled in the middle, but I distinctly remember her having a number of "taking it personally" misdemeanors herself last season (like when that dude kidnapped his kid from the drug addict mom).  Gabby is at least consistent.  Brett is a hypocrite.

And honestly, what kind of romance novel are Mouch and Brett writing anyway?  I don't recall many romance novels that have a subplot of the female lead making out with her female friend.  I mean, there are same sex romance novels, but they still tend to follow the same, usually monogamous conventions.  And the target audience of romance novels is usually straight female readers, so who exactly is this random makeout session supposed to titillate?

Trudy is still pretty great though.  I loved that she wasn't mad about the romance novel, or even the secrecy.  She was mad that he forgot she had a friend with publishing ties and could actually help him.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

This. It seems like they completely skipped the part where Casey agreed to get back together with Gabby and raise the kid. She made a big deal out of doing this on her own, which is why she had to live in Hermann's little space that they had to fix up in a hurry for the initial home check to see if it was kid-safe or whatever.

When she was on her rant to Severide, she mentioned how this was the first time Louie had seen she and Casey fight (I can guarantee it won't be the last - not with her "me, me, me" attitude), but Louie had that same sad sack look that he always has and seemed completely unaffected. We've heard about him enjoying himself and smiling - Cindy mentioned he had a good time playing with her kids - but we've yet to see it happen around Gabby. He's also barely said 3 words. I know the kid has been through a rough time, but if I were social worker and every time I came by and saw him so unhappy and still not talking or seeming to warm up to Gabby/that environment, I would be a little concerned at this point - especially since he has enjoyed himself (so they've said) in other settings.

There's also been no indication that Louie is in any kind of therapy either, which may help him given what he's been through. I'm surprised it wasn't required, at least for a certain period of time after Gabby was allowed to foster him. I'm sure she will try to adopt him, and, knowing this show, it will go through for Saint Gabby, but if Louie hasn't progressed, she might not be right for him and not providing the right atmosphere/enough stability for him. I mentioned in a post a couple episodes ago that her being gone overnight when she's on shift might not be the best thing for him - given that his mother died, part of him must think that every time she leaves and is gone for a night or two that she might not come back. As it seems Casey works the same shifts as she does 95% of that time, that makes it hard to build a relationship with him as well and for them to build a relationship as a family. Also, it shouldn't fall on Casey to bail her out all the time so she can keep Louie, yet she demanded an episode or so ago that he do "whatever it takes" so she doesn't lose Louie. She didn't care if it would cost him his political position or how many bridges it could burn for him - she just cared about what she wanted. What is her selfish behavior going to teach Louie? Demand that everyone else do what you want them to and insist that you are always right, no matter what. If anyone dares to go against you, then throw a fit and tell them to get out of your life. That poor kid is going to grow up with that warped sense of entitlement that she has and the fact that she has absolutely no respect for other people or their feelings and what might be best for someone else.

I also hated the thing with Brett and that smug little look on Gabby's face when they asked Brett if she agreed. Gabby just turned to her with this smirk like "I know she's going to agree and once again, I'll be untouchable." The fact that she was so obvious about it was absurd and very disrespectful. At least try to act contrite, even if you really aren't. She honestly believes she will never be formally reprimanded, demoted or fired. She thinks she is completely untouchable, even more so now that she's both a paramedic and a firefighter. Watch her try to make squad next and have no trouble getting on - she'll forget all about worrying about her safety for Louie because she'll expect Casey to deal with it.

And yeah, bitching at him about wanting to play golf when he actually has 3 jobs (firefighter, councilman, and his own construction company) was ridiculous. Blaming him and claiming she told him about he schedule change was bullshit to. I'm willing to bet she forgot because Gabby only thinks about Gabby.

Why can they not get her off of this show? Casey deserves so much better and I keep thinking about how much better this show would be if they had killed her off instead of Shay. Is that wrong?

I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one to think Gabby was being awful to Casey. I was glad to see Severide gently rebuke her but I wish someone would tell her where to stick it. Also, Louie always looks miserable. Is it too much to ask that the social worker see that?!?!?!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Usually I commend this show for their action sequences but the writing for this episode seemed really weak. First, the plot with Casey. I don't know what kind of warehouse that was supposed to be, but Uh-Oh, the guy accidentally rammed the giant vat of sulfuric acid, which wasn't even supposed to be there, and just happened to be a few feet away from giant piles of aluminum shavings. I mean . . . c'mon. The whole thing just felt very lazy. Assuming the containers were strong enough to actually hold sulfuric acid, then you'd really have to put a lot of effort into penetrating them. I don't think just bumping into them by accident would do it. And the forklift driver must have literally accelerated as soon as he made contact.

Then the thing with Gabby, Sylvie and the old woman - the lady who worked as a senior advocate seemed so shady I was sure it was going to turn out she was bilking the old woman or something. Then nothing came of it but a reprimand from their boss, and nothing came of that either, except Sylvie didn't like getting yelled at. Whatever.

The subplot with Otis and Cruz was dumb and felt like the writers were just trying to find something for them to do. I'm tired of Sylvie and Mouch's romance novel too. That's gone on long enough.

At least we were spared any more Severide and Stella nonsense, so there's that. But I agree that Gabby grows more insufferable by the day. And Louie remains the Saddest Looking Boy in the Whole World.

YES TO ALL OF THIS!!!  The warehouse storyline was beyond ridiculous!  The 15 year old girl was as dumb as a bag of rocks! Casey's doing everything and she's just sitting there.  "Mr. Casey,  this painter's tape is coming off the vent and the fumes are coming in.  Even though you're busy giving my dad a tracheotomy, can you come over here and put the tape back on even though I'm sitting right here." The place is about to explode and instead of running outside to call 911,  she wants to waste time telling Casey about her family's dinners!  So so so stupid!! 

I don't even need to comment on the  Gabby situation.  I agree with what everyone else already said . 

I really wish  Cruz and Otis would get an actual storyline and not these BS ones . 

On the plus side ,  barely any Stella. Hopefully , that continues . 

• Love 3

I thought the warehouse stuff was great - for some reason, it grabbed me and felt exciting even though it was not realistic.  I loved all the teamwork when they all got there.

I also love that Trudy immediately believed the truth of the romance novel (rather than any hanky-panky between Slyvie and Mouch), and was all set to help them out with her publisher friend.  Love Trudy!

Gaby, ugh, she is still getting on my last nerve.  I wanted to slap the smirks off her face when she and Slyvie met with the paramedic Chief.  He's still a Chief, Gaby!  Would you smirk like that if Boden were dressing you down for your behavior?  No?  Then respect your other boss! 

• Love 7

I can actually buy most of the warehouse stuff.  Seems like the operators didn't give a rat's ass about safety and I was expecting the story to be about them bribing Casey to sign off (maybe as a sting operation set up by DouchyAlderman™ from last week). When the fecal matter struck the rotary oscillator I was pleasantly surprised. My biggest eye-roll was that cellphones didn't work anywhere in the building. In 2016 that's rarely a problem, and an old single-story building with basically a brick exterior and no rebar frame would let cell signals pass fairly easily. I think a panic-stricken 15 YO middle-class girl in a life-or-death emergency and no training would react exactly as she did.

But this plot had a huge hole in it. Sulfuric acid, while easily capable of causing severe skin burns on contact, isn't particularly toxic in short term exposure to fumes. While not exactly a pleasant experience it wouldn't be life threatening to have gone back in (with as much physical protection against touching the acid itself) and gotten the phone from the guy who'd tried to use it but collapsed -- which again, wouldn't have really happened. This is what the CDC has to say about exposure to H2SO4: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0577.pdf

The next eyeroll was about cutting the power. The girl ran right past the main power cutoff to the facility. Yank the lever and bingo, no electricity. Also, the outlets wouldn't have been sparking either.

Not sure, but I'd think a heavy rescue by its very nature would have exposure suits for chemical exposure. I doubt theyd be going in there with regular bunker gear since after exposure it would probably be trashed--as would everybody's clothes who'd been inside. Where were the decon showers?

• Love 2
On 11/2/2016 at 3:52 AM, Rapunzel said:

I would probably still be watching the show.  :)  Couldn't take Gabby anymore, so I had to give the show up.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, iluvobx said:

I would probably still be watching the show.  :)  Couldn't take Gabby anymore, so I had to give the show up.

I'm getting to that point myself. :-)  It makes it even more difficult because none of the female main characters are really likeable. Shay may have had some issues, but at least most of them didn't last more than an episode or two and then she was back to being pretty likeable again.

Sulfuric acid, while easily capable of causing severe skin burns on contact, isn't particularly toxic in short term exposure to fumes. While not exactly a pleasant experience it wouldn't be life threatening to have gone back in (with as much physical protection against touching the acid itself) and gotten the phone from the guy who'd tried to use it but collapsed 

Or, you know . . . just high-tailing it to the nearest exit.

Seems like the operators didn't give a rat's ass about safety

Well, obviously. But storing the illegal sulfuric acid a mere yard or two away from massive piles of aluminum shavings? Like they didn't know 2+2=KABOOM? Please. 

More common than you'd want to believe. Think of it this way, every single newsworthy fire, accident or chemical spill is the result of someone either doing something illegal, cutting a corner that should never have been cut and/or not having proper knowledge of handling volatile materials. In this case, it also appears as if they were stealing electricity, bypassing the meter bank. Frightening for a company that was trying to get certified for hazmat response. Where were the eye-wash stations? Where were the first aid and respirator kits that would be mandatory in any environment handling that kind of stuff?

I tried to look at the markings on the ruptured tank but they were just too fuzzy to make out, except where the forklift pierced it. The breach was near about the '650' graduated mark, which I'm guessing is litres. And from the establishing shot the tank was about 80% full of liquid. I'm estimating that was about a 1000 or 1200 litre tank judging by the location of the 650 mark. Therefore, the spill would have been roughly 200 to 400 litres, or about 100 gallons. Bad, but not catastrophic. And from the Life Imitates Art department, from Toronto earlier today: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/west-end-toronto-residents-asked-to-stay-indoors-due-to-acid-cloud/article32657553/

"Toronto Fire Capt. Michael Westwood says a combination of hydrochloric and sulphuric acid was mixed and released into the air, creating a fog that can be irritating if inhaled.

No serious injuries were reported, but the fire service said eight people were being treated for minor throat and eye irritations as a result of the incident."

I get that it's TV drama and that they have budgets to work within, but it's also lazy writing in a lot of cases. There are enough high-risk rescue situations from real life FD logbooks that they could easily use without having to embellish beyond recognition.

But this plot had a huge hole in it. Sulfuric acid, while easily capable of causing severe skin burns on contact, isn't particularly toxic in short term exposure to fumes. While not exactly a pleasant experience it wouldn't be life threatening to have gone back in (with as much physical protection against touching the acid itself) and gotten the phone from the guy who'd tried to use it but collapsed -- which again, wouldn't have really happened. This is what the CDC has to say about exposure to H2SO4: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0577.pdf

I'm willing to believe a warehouse owner dumb enough to store sulfuric acid in easily pierced vats, and who thinks he could get away with hiding them from the inspector by stacking some other boxes in front while the inspector is walking in would also be dumb enough to store other things nearby that could react with the sulfuric acid to produce more toxic fumes.   That being said, it didn't look like it was that far to run to reach the doors where they could have used their phones to dial 911, but I guess Casey didn't want to leave Dad and Teen alone in the breakroom, since Dad was in no shape to run anywhere.

I liked teenage girl calling out her dad for bringing her to his workplace where incredibly hazardous chemicals were being illegally and improperly stored.

Gabby is definitely more annoying on ambo.  While I kind of wanted to punch the elder advocate lady for being so annoying and dumb, all I could think when Gabby destroyed her phone was that later that day some other old lady would die because she couldn't get a hold of her elder advocate in a critical situation.   I am glad they didn't have her think Casey was playing golf when she got the phone call from the daycare, and she was ready to go check on him when the 911 call finally came in.  I also liked Severide pointing out that Casey and Gabby were barely arguing and the kid probably wasn't going to be that freaked out.

• Love 1

See, I totally think Gabby assumed Casey was playing golf and forgot to pick Louie up.  Hubby started laughing because when Casey told her he loved her, I couldn't help but yell out, "Why?"  I hope her boss shuts her down at some point.  Boden was useless.

• Love 3

Go away, Gabby. Overworked Casey agrees to not play golf so he can pick up Louie. Daycare calls Gabby and says no one picked up Louie. Gabby calls Bonnie the regular sitter and tells her to pick up Louie. Um, why not have the regular baby sitter just be the baby sitter and not use a day care center? Or at least ask her to pick up Louie in the first place?

I sort of liked the teenager in the sulphuric acid lounge--Mr MML thought Casey could bring her home to be adopted too if her dad had died, without asking Gabby first. I don't know what Casey's construction company was supposed to be bidding on constructing.

Severide is sometimes over-validated but he will always have my heart for how he implored Gabby to "fix this" when Shay was going off the rails.

Thank you, Trudy, for over-validating me--I just knew if Sylvie and Mouch ever got found out, that the person who found them out would magically know a publisher. And there it was. 

And one more time--go away, Gabby.

• Love 1

Random question- not enough for a thread of its own, but something that regular watchers would know.

Werent Brett and Cruz dating at one point? I swear I remember this, and their courtship being kind of sweet,but they have so little interaction now that it's almost as if they barely know each other, let alone dated.

Am I completely misremembering this?

You are correct.  Cruz liked her immediately, and flirted and eventually asked her out, and they dated for a little while, then decided (mostly Britt) that they should only be friends.  Now she's hot for someone who is not only on another show, but about to move from that show to still another one (Antonio).  But so far I think they've only flirted on Fire, not PD.

• Love 1

When Casey showed up at the warehouse, he was wearing a CFD uniform shirt, I think, but he was driving his personal truck.  Was he there as a rep from CFD or as a construction guy?  Makes a big difference on accountability for personnel movement.

That had to be one tough fire extinguisher to be able to break through concrete bricks.

On 11/2/2016 at 10:40 AM, squidprincess said:

When the hell did Casey learn to do one of those makeshift tracheotomies though?

From Gabby the Supermedic, of course.

I am rather hopeful that the elder care agency submits a bill for the smart phone to CFD, which should work its way to Gabby's pocketbook.  Dropped or thrown, it's still negligence on her part, and a $700 charge might just get her attention.

I think Casey was actually there as an alderman. I thought I heard him say something about a contract coming up for a vote, but no one had actually yet inspected the company or warehouse.

• Love 1
On 11/7/2016 at 1:51 PM, Dowel Jones said:

That had to be one tough fire extinguisher to be able to break through concrete bricks.

Not really.  He has used the extinguisher aspect on the bricks first, which will freeze cold and make the bricks more brittle.  And then extinguisher tanks, like scuba tanks, are INCREDIBLY strong, because they are containing highly compressed air/chemicals and have to be incredibly strong to contain the pressure inside.  There are a lot of non-drama videos showing the strength of steel tanks.

• Love 1
On 11/2/2016 at 1:40 PM, squidprincess said:

When the hell did Casey learn to do one of those makeshift tracheotomies though?

From his Australian identical twin, Dr. Robert Chase. :D  

In all honesty I liked this episode, other than Gabby and I feel bad for Always-Sad- Lewie.  Casey is my favorite character on this show, so I enjoyed seeing him in "peril" (obviously knew he would escape ok). :)

• Love 3
On 11/2/2016 at 7:52 AM, Rapunzel said:

No its not wrong. There are millions of CF fans who wish with all their hearts that they would get rid of Scabby! Biggest mistake ever was to get rid of Shay - she was way above Scabby's league! l loathe Scabby myself and CF has gone right down in my opinion since it became so dominated by her! Casey has just been relegated to being her servant and lapdog and Jesse Spencer is capable of SO much more than what this show has become. It is such a shame that the EPs only seem to take any notice of the rabid,loud,sqealing Dawson fans on twitter! They need to read this forum and the IMdb boards to see what people REALLY think of Dawson - Yeugh! l'll bet she is one the the most hated tv characters of all time and they keep on merrily shoving her in our faces! Will they never learn? Maybe when Fire ratings drop through the floor! Then they might take note of how they have ruined the show for millions of people who love Jesse Spencer and hate Dawson! Personally l will always support Jesse but wish CF could go back to how it used to be before the showrunners ruined it!

• Love 2