Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Sea Was Angry

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I'm tired of chefs pulling that schick I wonder it's it's part of the entitlement special snowflake generation vs just being and seeing the work as being a cog and functional. However, I was friends w Homaru Cantu (RIP) and sometimes they truly are tortured artists at heart. I doubt Ben is even close to that caliber or ever will be. I actually think UO Leon probably had more raw talent than Ben. Guests seem to praise Ben, but in a more bland and general way vs guests who sometimes gushed over his dishes. I may be remembering off but once guests demanded to see Leon after he snubbed their request or was distant and they praised the hell out of his meal. Guests do ask to see and thank Ben but don't really be like "you were rude and I still won't be happy unless I tell you how dope you are." 

• Love 1

Ben's too old to even use the excuse or have the lovely distinction of being part of the special snowflake generation. That generation is mine dammit! Not Ben's! No! Mine! Mine! Mine!

Ben is apparently 35  (born 1980) according to this random website: http://www.famousbirthdays.com/people/benjamin-robinson.htmlhttp://www.famousbirthdays.com/people/benjamin-robinson.html

I do think most of his dramatics are real, but played up for TV's sake. Somehow TV has decided that chefs are freaking angry tantrum throwers- thanks Gordon Ramsey.

He's a wealthy white male from a privileged background, so I'm not shocked that he has a hard time when things don't go his way.

I haven't seen his latest tantrum, but I've seen a lot of his tantrums, and I don't find them threatening. I know he can make snarky comments, but if I worked with him I don't think I would be afraid of him-more like entertained. Though who knows? Maybe the other employees are scared of/intimidated by him. I remember Sierra falling apart over something he said or didn't say to her, but can't remember any specifics.

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Granimal said:

... I do think most of his dramatics are real, but played up for TV's sake. Somehow TV has decided that chefs are freaking angry tantrum throwers- thanks Gordon Ramsey.

He's a wealthy white male from a privileged background, so I'm not shocked that he has a hard time when things don't go his way...

Not directed to you at all, I just use your post to give some input here :D

So NO, it's not due TO Gordon Ramsey. Not at all. Gordon Ramsey is a Chef, among other Chefs. And more than eight on ten Chefs I know are effing Divas ! Lovely ones, but D.I.V.A.S !

... I know, I married one... And I've never seen tantrums like that in any other job, but... Yes they sometimes act like entitled unsecure -that's the key point- divas. When they prepare something for a guest, it's like they put their "live or die" in any plate. And even if it isn't so "crystal clear" for the "public eye, they're very emotional people, if that makes sense.

(My hubby would "kill" me if he read that but, to summarize, they're -for most of all- a kind of cry babies missing the inconditionnal love of their respective mammas, lol)

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Granimal said:

I haven't seen his latest tantrum, but I've seen a lot of his tantrums, and I don't find them threatening. I know he can make snarky comments, but if I worked with him I don't think I would be afraid of him-more like entertained. Though who knows? Maybe the other employees are scared of/intimidated by him. I remember Sierra falling apart over something he said or didn't say to her, but can't remember any specifics.

I don't think I would be afraid of Ben's tantrums if I were in an inland restaurant kitchen.  However, if I were "trapped" with him in a tiny galley on a boat that has such close quarters I would be afraid because I would not be able to escape from his anger.    

• Love 1

When I first saw Emily, I thought, put bunny ears on her and she would look just like a rabbit.  Then she talked to her father and he actually called her rabbit? I choked on my Desanti big time.

• Love 6

I choked too, Trace. It made me gag. In episode one, Em intros herself as something along the lines of 'underneath this cool academic exterior..the freak comes out at night!!'. You wish, darlin. The phone call to her father basically confirmed that to me. Emily is a bit of a wannabe. Not even sure what she wants to be. I was waiting for father and daughter to bust out the baby talk and I'd have switched off.

Regarding the psychic reading Cpt Lee. I got the strong vibe that no matter WHAT she said to him, he had decided to be contrary about it. Basically maybe to just shut it down as he was obligated to attend the dinner, knew this was likely and didn't want to participate in it. I doubt his mother is alive, but I doubt very very much more that he 'hadn't been near the sea until the age of 35'. No. Love Cpt Lee, but for whatever reason, I'd bet cash money this is bs.

As for Kyle, cool, you are what you are and what you are, needs no excuses. But why be a total dick to Sierra (whether or not she deserved it, she did) when you are now claiming that you have a relationship back home? Didn't we just get a long story and a timeline about sending the money home to his daughter who is not even 2 years old, not long over the relationship with the dumpster daughter's mother...I don't know, but that's a lot of life lived in a short amount of time. He does seem the type that is always angling at something, though. He doesn't seem the most stable of units. I'd forgotten about his greenhorn qualifications, thanks for the reminder posters upthread. This explains a lot of Kelley's issues. I remember Cpt Lee foreshadowing that things weren't going to go well with the new deckhand due to his lack of experience (in this, as opposed to every other area in Kyle's life). Now Kelley of course is failing to manage it. 

Zero chemistry again between Kate and Ro. Ro has that Beavis and Butthead type shtick that I'm sure is bouncing Kate's last nerve. I bet Kate is actually secretly really glad at this stage that work is forcing her away. I'm less and less surprised that things ended the way they did. The infatuation that Kate claims to have is patently just not there. She wasn't returning Ro's affection during the Bravosurprise visit, just going through the motions and filming gave her the opportunity to disappear into her cabin or the laundry to Skype sex with Ro, even just for show, but no, she wasn't having it. 

Unpopular opinion, but I still miss Eddie. Liarface and all. He was humorous and self deprecating. And good at his job.

• Love 2
On November 2, 2016 at 8:38 AM, ghoulina said:

I don't recall ANY flirting between her and Ben, until after he swept in at the last minute and sent her flowers. Kelley definitely loves some revisionist history. 

I thought Kate was the one who really was responsible for Emily getting the flowers from Ben.  Ben would never have "sent" them to Emily without Kate's prodding.

Yeah, he's unfit for a leadership position, that's for sure. He's trying too hard to be friends with the crew members that he supervises. That's at least one of his problems.

I dislike Captain Lee, but he was right when he told Kelley to be more proactive.  When you take a leadership position, you have to be proactive; sometimes if you want to get things done, you have to be proactive.  A few charters ago, Kelley should have asked the guests what they wanted to do instead of putting all the toys in the water at the same time.  Kelley thinks the guests should come to him, when that's not how it works.  

I like Nico more now; when Lauren told him she was interested in him, he told her no; at first I thought it was because Lauren was "browner" than say Emily; but I wonder if it was because Lauren was a member of the deck crew and Nico didn't want to get involved with someone he directly worked with.

So, Ben insults one of the guests and Captain Lee says nothing because his nose seems to be up Kelley's ass for some reason.  BTW, Ben reminds me of a wannabe Bond villain.

Edited by Neurochick
10 hours ago, queenjen said:

Unpopular opinion, but I still miss Eddie. Liarface and all. He was humorous and self deprecating. And good at his job.

I miss him, too. Besides Kate, Ben, and Capt Lee, I think the crew sucks this year. I don't care about any of them. I didn't like Kelly last time he was around, like him less this time. He's a whiner. With the exception of Rocky and Aleks, I liked all of the others better than this crew, even crazy drunken Cat. I also miss Amy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Roxy said:

I miss him, too. Besides Kate, Ben, and Capt Lee, I think the crew sucks this year. I don't care about any of them. I didn't like Kelly last time he was around, like him less this time. He's a whiner. With the exception of Rocky and Aleks, I liked all of the others better than this crew, even crazy drunken Cat. I also miss Amy.

I like Nico enough but I agree with you. Except, I don't want to see Sam, CJ, Leon or that idiot from whatever season that lied about his credentials and got fired (Andrew?) in addition to Rocky or Aleks.  

I don't like Adrienne much but I would like to witness her being second stew to Kate so I'd take her back for that! I like Kat and would love her return. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

I like Nico enough but I agree with you. Except, I don't want to see Sam, CJ, Leon or that idiot from whatever season that lied about his credentials and got fired (Andrew?) in addition to Rocky or Aleks.  

I don't like Adrienne much but I would like to witness her being second stew to Kate so I'd take her back for that! I like Kat and would love her return. 

You're right. I forgot about icky mean Leon. I don't want him back either. I didn't mind CJ or Sam that much. Adrienne was annoying but it was amusing watching everyone hate her as she was so uptight. Nico's okay but he's not interesting to me at all. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Probably not a helpful reaction but, I think I'd simply laugh at Ben if he flipped out. I can't imagine being scared of that.

Same. I find nothing scary about his tantrums. He just seems like an overgrown toddler who missed his nap. Kate knows him well and she seems more annoyed than anything. 

• Love 2

Ben is too wimpy to be a Bond Villain. Or for anyone to be afraid of in any way. He is certainly not believable as a love interest for the little bunny. It is all reality show tv bullshit of course. 

He is much more suited to Kate.

She has resting Bitch Face.

Emily has resting Rabbit Face.

• Love 1