Type keyword(s) to search

My Kitchen Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Loved this episode! I can't get over how charmed I am by Dice and Val. Lance and Diane are equally delightful.

Wow, Brandy, get over the stupid nacho chili tower. I don't really like the other Brandi, but she had a great point about the shape of the Eiffel tower.

• Love 3

Valerie was so sweet,  trying to help Lance and his mom. 

I'd watch a show about Dice and Val. 

Brandy and Ray J are 2 people I'd be happy to never see again. 

Brand G is still unwatchable everything about her grates. 

Cat talking about Dean not being a chef. Was interesting. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, imjagain said:

Dean didn't look too happy about that.

So glad Brandy and Ray J went.  Delusional, that one is.  But hey, she didn't lose, right?

• Love 3

I get where Kelly is coming from, not wanting Brandi to bring up calories, but I think she missed Brandi's point. I forget exactly how the exchange went, but Kelly's comments didn't quite correspond to what Brandi said. Kelly said that dessert is awesome so you shouldn't think about calories. But Brandi's point was that the dessert wasn't that great, and so she regretted the calories.  I would feel the same way!!! That's twice in one episode I agreed with her about something.... scary!

BUT if you are judging a food competition, you eat everything, so it was totally inappropriate to say in this setting.

9 hours ago, imjagain said:

Valerie was so sweet,  trying to help Lance and his mom. 

I'd watch a show about Dice and Val. 

Brandy and Ray J are 2 people I'd be happy to never see again. 

Brand G is still unwatchable everything about her grates. 

Valerie is one of the best things about watching this show. She offered to help her competition! I wonder that Dice knows how lucky he is to have such a lovely women by his side. I giggled when he said he was going to drop the desert dishes...he can't/won't lift a finger to help his lady and she never loses her cool about it. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 4

Remember those dashboard phasers (think Star Trek) you could get for your car to blast other rude/reckless drivers?  I wish I'd had one to use on Ray J every time he opened his mouth.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The Cat/Dean interchange was odd.

Still on Team Bass, though I won't lose any sleep if the Clays take it.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Court said:

I didn't quite get the Cat/Dean exchange either.

Upon reflection (yeah - I occasionally reflect), I wonder if the references to Cat and Brandi having a fling during shooting had something to do with it.  Maybe it was a big meow to Brandi's cooking partner Dean.  ("I'm the Iron Chef and you're...nothing."  Zap!)

We can only hope.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Court said:

I didn't quite get the Cat/Dean exchange either.

Neither did Brandy apparently. 

I need Brandi to leave next week.

Some people take issue with cooks calling themselves chefs. Chef originally meant head of a kitchen, obviously the term has evolved but some people resent people who don't work in professional kitchens using the term. There was absolutely no reason for Cat to go off like that particularly because Dean wasn't even the person who used the term to describe himself, Brandi did.

• Love 4
On 2/10/2017 at 2:46 PM, Fex said:

I get where Kelly is coming from, not wanting Brandi to bring up calories, but I think she missed Brandi's point. I forget exactly how the exchange went, but Kelly's comments didn't quite correspond to what Brandi said. Kelly said that dessert is awesome so you shouldn't think about calories. But Brandi's point was that the dessert wasn't that great, and so she regretted the calories.  I would feel the same way!!! That's twice in one episode I agreed with her about something.... scary!

I too thought Kelly was being a bit much.  I was diagnosed with high sugar and freaked out.  I went to a diabetes nurse, worked with my doctor and within 3 months am at just a touch above normal now.  One of the biggest things I learned is that eating to eat is so wrong.  So I get Brandi and respect Kelly but you know Kelly "fixed" a health problem or two.  I also get that I could never judge a cooking show.

23 hours ago, spiderpig said:

The Cat/Dean interchange was odd.

7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Upon reflection (yeah - I occasionally reflect), I wonder if the references to Cat and Brandi having a fling during shooting had something to do with it.  Maybe it was a big meow to Brandi's cooking partner Dean.  ("I'm the Iron Chef and you're...nothing."  Zap!)

I agree with you and you said it best so I will leave it that.  It did seem pretty petty.  My friend went to culinary school after retiring and yes she is now a chef. She had never gone out to get a job in the field but the girl can cook and bake like a chef.

Andrew - I found it very sad that he worries more about how his friends would think less of him for cooperating with his wife and he'd rather jump all over her.  Dice, with friends like that you don't need enemies.  He is so lucky to have her and I just lover her.  His friends must be using a time machine from another century where women were lesser to their husbands.

• Love 2

In the penultimate episode of the season, the remaining teams make tailgate food for the L.A. Rams and their fans; and Andrew and Valerie learn that they're not assured a spot in the finale despite being in the lead.

I liked this episode too. I love Leah, she's amazing.  Her daughter cracked me up about toning down the inappropriate jokes. 

I'm so happy Valerie and Dice won.  She's so sweet. Lance's mom was just as nice,  to offer to help her,  as Dice roamed. 

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Was Dice coached by producers to behave like such a boor?  In previous eps he had seemed to be doting on his wife - now we see the jerk from his standup act.

What on earth is up with Cat's hair?

Her hair was from an era long gone. 50s, 60s?  Who knows, it looked like it was set in rollers first then done up for the prom. 

• Love 1

Alright! We got the finale I wanted. But I felt so bad for Valerie... Dice basically abandoned her. Again. He's got to stick around the kitchen if they're going to have a chance at winning.

• Love 2

Stupid show.  As I wait for the landscapers to arrive (new tree) I feel compelled to comment since nothing much else is going on and I don't feel like emptying the dishwasher (I never do). 

The cuts to the player moments, having their "fun" running around tackling each other was filmed separately and so obvious it was painful.  Well the entire show is.  

I was sorry to see Brandi and her pretentious lover go.  I get it though.  How can you fail to make a good taco? My DIL can even do that and she has trouble with French toast (seriously).   

I don't find Dice Clay amusing on top of being no help to his wife.  Of course potato chips burn if you don't rinse them well (several times), to get rid of the starch.  He has never made them before. 

I made empanadas (frozen empanada dough)  frequently when entertaining a large group.  I baked them.  They are so easy, always good AND you can put anything in them!  Good choice Lance and mom.  

I am surprised Lance didn't get 10s for this and his lobster roll.  Curtis, "it needed a little citrus."  Oh fuck you.  You are not on iron chef.  It was edible (important), lower your standards!   

A four course meal next week.  hmmmmmm  No.  I am looking forward to Cat's hair do though.  The preview showed Valerie in a bee hive. 

• Love 5

This show is so staged it makes Hell's Kitchen look random.  Still, I watch.

I don't find Dice's caveman act entertaining, and after redeeming him somewhat in early episodes where he was quite cute with Valerie, the show is now portraying him as a jerk.  Big mistake.

The Brandi/Dean thing had grown tiresome and I'm glad they're gone.

Curtis is still trying to find his foothold in American TV.  I can't figure out what Cat Cora's doing here.  The retro hair and wardrobe seem so out of character compared with her persona in other TV ventures.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

The Brandi/Dean thing had grown tiresome and I'm glad they're gone.

Totally and I agree.  My wanting them to stay is nothing more than NOT wanting to watch more of Dice Clay; it has nothing to do with thinking Brandi and Dean were entertaining!  

• Love 1

I'm happy with  the final 2 couples.  I adore Valerie and Diane. Lance is pretty cute,  but the guy is everywhere,  so I've seen enough of him.

I agee @spiderpig

The Dice act is getting old. The reason I was surprised by him was because he was so sweet and cute with Valerie.   These last 2 episodes he's lost major point with me. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I have developed a huge girl crush on Valerie. That is all. 

Me too! 

I actually hope she wins. While I really like Lance and Diane, Valerie is really doing it all herself.  The help Dice gives her is no help, we'll except to over season or burn chips. 

• Love 7

I just watched this episode and have decided that when I become Supreme Dictator of the World my first action will be to ban purple lipstick. I have no fashion sense yet even I know that it has never looked good on anyone. Also, whatever the hell was going on with Brandi's make-up, and the fake eyelashes that look like people's eyes are birthing spiders. Then I'll get to work on those ugly LulaRoe clothing patterns. After that I will begin to work on hunger and cancer. But ugly make-up must go first! Priorities!

I'm glad these two teams made it to the end, and will be happy with whoever wins, but want it to be Valerie.

• Love 1

I'm happy Val won!!  She seems like a sweet woman. I hope Lance's mom got to go on a great vacation after this, she deserved it. 

How drunk was Brandi at the dinner table, she looked and sounded smashed. This has been one of my many problems with Brandi, she carries herself in such a trashy way. I would watch that episode and want to crawl I to a hole but not Brandi she keeps slurring and saying inappropriate thing all over TV. 

• Love 2

In the Season 1 finale, Lance Bass and his mom Diane face Andrew Dice Clay and his wife Valerie. They prepare four-course meals for a panel of six chefs and all of the former contestants.

I think Valerie is adorable, but I cringed watching her hands manipulating food with those huge bejeweled claws.  With all the emphasis on kitchen sanitation, I couldn't believe she could adequately keep her fingers clean while tossing salad and splitting Cornish hens.

On a far more trivial subject, I expected a family of wasps to fly out of the back of her hairdo.  And how did she maneuver around the kitchen in those giant white platform shoes?

Still, she's very likeable, talented, and I'm happy for her.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I think Valerie is adorable, but I cringed watching her hands manipulating food with those huge bejeweled claws.  With all the emphasis on kitchen sanitation, I couldn't believe she could adequately keep her fingers clean while tossing salad and splitting Cornish hens.

On a far more trivial subject, I expected a family of wasps to fly out of the back of her hairdo.  And how did she maneuver around the kitchen in those giant white platform shoes?

Still, she's very likeable, talented, and I'm happy for her.

Oh I'm right there with you. The nails were beyond scary, not only the cleanliness of it,  but I thought she was going to chop off a finger trying to hold food as she chopped. 

I think she's lovely but I wasn't a fan of the hair either. 

• Love 2

Yeah, everything I've read about those long fake nails is that they carry bacteria and there's a risk of infection.  Hospitals don't allow nurses to have them, and some food service places don't allow them.  

I would not want anyone with long fake nails prepare and serve poultry to me.  I don't trust that soap and water will get rid of all the samonella and other stuff under the nails.

• Love 3

I had more of a problem with Lance stirring his soup, taking a taste, then putting the same utensil BACK into the soup.

Love Valerie and she carried her team by herself.  Dice has some life long issues with gender roles and how he looks to others.

• Love 1

I'm sure nobody will see this because the thread is dead now but I'm just catching up on the episodes.  

Why were Lance and his mom allowed to keep cooking after the time ran out?  It should be like other cooking competition shows, if the time runs out, you're done.  

Has been Brandy and her never was brother make this show unwatchable. Do they think the idiotic things they do are cute?  They look and act like ridiculous children. 

• Love 1

^I'm still here!
Since this is a Fox show they probably make up the rules as they go along.

Totally agree on Brandy and whosit.  They think their act is edgy, and they both come off like total morons.  Not even entertaining morons.

• Love 1