Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Demons and Angels

If a patient goes into Vfib in the cath lab, they run the code there.  They don't take him back to the ER.  The cardiologist takes over.  Also, a pulmonologist would decide if a patient can come off a vent. An ENT would do the trach surgery.  Not a jack of all trades surgeon.  That is all for now.

ETA:  You wean a person off a vent and when you do take them off, they would have oxygen on. Not cold turkey!

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Love 5

So much stupid packed into one episode.

Why was Rob Lowe pulling through the debris to save that doctor and kid all alone? Why wasn't the fire department clearing the place out with him?

Why is the ER director being such an unnecessarily rude jackass?

Why is Angels Memorial the only hospital where all the haunted house patients are going? Is there no place else in all of Los Angeles for people to go?

Why is Angus taking a 30% chance on his brother breathing on his own against a 70% chance that he'll die just to avoid a tracheotomy? (By the way, why wasn't his brother properly strapped into the helicopter when it took off in the first place?)

Why don't the security guards have proper holsters to prevent their guns from being pulled out?

Why am I watching this show?

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Xantar said:

Why don't the security guards have proper holsters to prevent their guns from being pulled out?

The slang term for a holster that doesn't allow the pistol to be drawn is a "widowmaker" or "suicide" holster.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Xantar said:

Why was Rob Lowe pulling through the debris to save that doctor and kid all alone? Why wasn't the fire department clearing the place out with him

they did the same thing last season with the big car accident...no fire dept just the drs to do the rescues.

in less than a season and a half, they have killed off 2 regular characters, 1 repeating, and have seriously injured 2 more.  and we can't can't forget the unmentioned disappearance of Neil and Christa.  Add that to the lack of trained staff, no infection protocol, no privacy, and awful management and you have to wonder how this hospital even keeps its accreditation.  Its like the showrunners have chosen the worst story lines of every medical drama ever written and thrown them all at us.  Last night was the final straw...no more for me.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, pally said:

they did the same thing last season with the big car accident...no fire dept just the drs to do the rescues.

in less than a season and a half, they have killed off 2 regular characters, 1 repeating, and have seriously injured 2 more.  and we can't can't forget the unmentioned disappearance of Neil and Christa.  Add that to the lack of trained staff, no infection protocol, no privacy, and awful management and you have to wonder how this hospital even keeps its accreditation.  Its like the showrunners have chosen the worst story lines of every medical drama ever written and thrown them all at us.  Last night was the final straw...no more for me.

This show started out so well, and then it just completely lost its way.  So disappointed!  Last year I thought this would be the one I'd stick with, and Chicago Med would tank, but my, have things reversed course!  I love Mama and Papa, but the rest of them have switched around, disappeared, changed personality so much, I just can't care.  And as noted above, the technical aspects have become too ridiculous to accept.  Very sad.  

• Love 3

I haven't seen an episode since the season premiere - was no longer as interested after the loss of Christa and Neal - but it sounds like I'm not missing much? I have them on my TiVo, but I'm not sure I'll bother watching them.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, secnarf said:

I haven't seen an episode since the season premiere - was no longer as interested after the loss of Christa and Neal - but it sounds like I'm not missing much? I have them on my TiVo, but I'm not sure I'll bother watching them.

Still trying to decide, too.  Not really too high on my list anymore.  

Angels Memorial should have its ED closed for a complete remodeling.  Yes, there are other hospitals in the LA area, believe it or not.  The scene where the movie star/intern is on the gurney in the ED and private citizens are crowded around filming and getting in the way was just too eyerolling to believe.  A little personal history to illustrate:  I recently had to go through an ED visit for an injury.  First, I went through the admission process at the front desk.  Admitted to the ED, I was scanned for weapons first.  As far as I could see, no one except patients were admitted past that point until the patient was stabilized.

So Rob Lowe and Dr. Nolan bring a patient into OSHIT (my acronym for Only Surgical Hospital In Town), and there's no MD available in the OR.  Why?  Because he's too busy being a boss down in the ER, where there's plenty of doctors.  No problem, right?  Does anyone see a titanic collision between Dr. OR, Dr. Lowe, and Dr. Harden (sorry, lack of names there) coming up?

That was a piss poor security guard, there.  They need to train their personnel on how to put a suspect on the ground safely without risking the loss of your weapon. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Angels Memorial should have its ED closed for a complete remodeling.

Funny you should say that! I just watched the documentary Code Black that apparently inspired this show (it's streaming on Netflix) and when the filmmakers started shooting in 2008, it was in the original LA County hospital building finished in 1932, which had an trauma and emergency department that was old and small and crowded (and not designed even to function as an emergency department, since such things did not exist as part of a fully-fledged, purposeful discipline until the 1970s-1980s (something I learned from the documentary).

So in the old building, there actually was a "C-Booth" area just like "Center Stage" in the TV show, it looks like utter chaos, and the whole thing really looks a mess. The facility was so antiquated that the hospital had multiple waivers from federal, state, and county regulations governing privacy and all sorts of other things because the physical building simply precluded compliance. By a few years later, the documentary shows the relocated ED in the new building, everything shiny and new and HIPAA compliant, no more crowding and screaming and in everyone else's business.

But that wouldn't make for anything like as good TV. Even the residents, in the documentary, who have come from the old building to the new sort of lament the loss of drama that drew them to the County-USC ED originally...

11 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Yes, there are other hospitals in the LA area, believe it or not.

That is definitely true, along with all the other absurdities you cite — but there is a tiny kernel of general truth in there that sadly, the vagaries of the healthcare economy have led to so many emergency dept and emergency room closures in the LA region that for many, including the poor and uninsured, County-USC is their only option.

• Love 2

I wish they would stop stuffing Saint Lowe down our throats.   He is out of the forces because he went from village to village saving children...come on.

What happened to this show between last season and this year?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Margherita Erdman said:

Funny you should say that! I just watched the documentary Code Black that apparently inspired this show (it's streaming on Netflix) and when the filmmakers started shooting in 2008, it was in the original LA County hospital building finished in 1932, which had an trauma and emergency department that was old and small and crowded (and not designed even to function as an emergency department, since such things did not exist as part of a fully-fledged, purposeful discipline until the 1970s-1980s (something I learned from the documentary).

So in the old building, there actually was a "C-Booth" area just like "Center Stage" in the TV show, it looks like utter chaos, and the whole thing really looks a mess. The facility was so antiquated that the hospital had multiple waivers from federal, state, and county regulations governing privacy and all sorts of other things because the physical building simply precluded compliance. By a few years later, the documentary shows the relocated ED in the new building, everything shiny and new and HIPAA compliant, no more crowding and screaming and in everyone else's business.

But that wouldn't make for anything like as good TV. Even the residents, in the documentary, who have come from the old building to the new sort of lament the loss of drama that drew them to the County-USC ED originally...

That is definitely true, along with all the other absurdities you cite — but there is a tiny kernel of general truth in there that sadly, the vagaries of the healthcare economy have led to so many emergency dept and emergency room closures in the LA region that for many, including the poor and uninsured, County-USC is their only option.

Thanks for mentioning that documentary; I couldn't wait to watch it. Wow, the old facility was almost exactly what we see on the show.  And there was even a nurse who closely resembled Mama!   I would love to see an update on how all their ideas played out, and if ACA has made any difference in whom they see and how long wait times are.  

• Love 1
On 10/26/2016 at 10:50 PM, TV Anonymous said:

Why did Batman wear fangs?

Because he's a bat???

On 10/27/2016 at 7:46 AM, starri said:

Remind me why I'm still watching this show?

I'm watching it because I like to look at Rob Lowe.  That's the absolute only reason.

• Love 6

I'm sure the ER wouldn't be as backed up if they didn't send their doctors out in the field on Halloween.  Dr. Rob Lowe couldn't call the fire department or EMTs to go save Dr. Shrink? Speaking of Lowe,  every time he says his lines, he's putting me right back in to "The Grinder." 

The ER/OR director needs to check his ego at the door.  He's so busy showing everyone who's boss that it's affecting patients and their care.  I hope in the near future,  something tragic happens because of his poor decisions and he's terminated. 

I'm giving it a couple of more episodes and then I'm probably out. I like MGH in this role, but unfortunately, everything else sucks. She deserves better! 

• Love 4

You wean a person off a vent and when you do take them off, they would have oxygen on. Not cold turkey!

I don't pay much attention to technical things, but I wondered where the oxygen mask was. 

Without Krista and what's-his-name, I'm still enjoying this show. Love the character development. You learn a little bit about almost everyone with each show.  The medicine might be bogus, but I'm liking the interactions.

I'm still lovin' Mama and Daddy the most.

Drs. Willis and Guthrie have weird hair. Willis has all these colors competing with his gray hair and Guthrie's hair is so black with maybe 5 strands of white at his temples. We already know that they're both over 50. 

I don't want to watch a story where Guthrie deals with Parkinson, and I'm almost sure that's where we're headed.  Although I guess he hasn't called Angus "young squire" either, so win some, lose some.

• Love 2

I thought that after a collapse of a building with electricity flashing on and off like that, that the doctor instructing the kid didn't seem to be concerned that there might be a live wire sitting around.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, bounnatalie said:

It was amazing that the child was able to find a pen, find a cord, and with significant bleeding, he was able to intricately tie off his leg.

Without getting up.

And who names their son Angus?  Mr. and Mrs. Cow???

• Love 3
12 hours ago, bounnatalie said:

It was amazing that the child was able to find a pen, find a cord, and with significant bleeding, he was able to intricately tie off his leg.

Forget the cord, even. There was a ton of 35mm film. Wrap that around. You wouldn't believe how much tensile strength that stuff has. I'm a former professional projectionist and I've seen polyester film strip gears after a jam. And speaking of such things, the projection room is probably the safest place in the entire theater, especially if it's an old one. Back in the days of nitrate film there had to be a separate exit to outdoors that the operators could escape through in case of fire. FD operatives have such info in their CIDS systems. And I agree, leave them for a minute before it all went to hell and find firefighters to execute a safe rescue.

On 10/28/2016 at 9:22 PM, juliet73 said:

The ER/OR director needs to check his ego at the door.  He's so busy showing everyone who's boss that it's affecting patients and their care.  I hope in the near future,  something tragic happens because of his poor decisions and he's terminated.

I say we drop a helicopter on him. Seems to be SOP for hospital villains, no?

On 10/27/2016 at 10:01 AM, Xantar said:

Why am I watching this show?

I'm starting to wonder the same things. Ugh. Carole "Jessamine" was the only newcomer I was even remotely invested in as a viewer, and the dynamic with Mama and Papa was the best part of S1. I don't give a fig about the rest of the rest; they're interchangeable and meh at best.

But I guess the fact it was almost cancelled and they forced so many focus-grouped-to-death changes this is about all we could expect.

My biggest complaint in emergency-service shows is they have to throw common sense out the door in the name of budget constraints. A building collapse of that nature would have at least a 4th or 5th alarm response, meaning about 30 FD vehicles, 200-250 FFs, probably a similar number of cops and a full incident command structure set up. Good luck getting that kind of budget to play with in a low-rated network show.

• Love 2

Ok, so I guess we've switched over to full on hate-watching with a side of individual appreciation for Rob Lowe and Marsha Gay Harden? My main objections were all covered above. But I like this group of informed posters (fascinating about projectors/projection rooms), so I'm in.

• Love 6