Type keyword(s) to search

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That was a good episode! I couldn't believe Mellie was there & she was apparently acting normal. She was even at Dallas' intervention (why haven't we heard of whatever that was called before? Why did they never have one for Mellie?) which was seriously ironic considering her past behavior. Dallas is just such a little bitch, she's like the female, Gypsy, Kanye West. If everyone isn't admiring her & paying attention to her, she does whatever she has to to make sure all eyes are on her. She couldn't even stand not to be the center of attention at her brother's wedding, AND she left her kids with Nettie again! How are there no consequences for that?

I wish there was more on the other story. It reminded me of the show American Gypsy with the whole elders thing, I found the Roma Gypsies a lot more fascinating than the Romanichal Gypsies. Also, and this is completely shallow, that poor girl needed all the help she could get, she was not attractive (her right eye kept going places), she seemed completely graceless, & her dress did her no favors. She probably has limited social skills from being isolated from boys her whole life. 

I  wish there was more on the other story. It reminded me of the show American Gypsy with the whole elders thing, I found the Roma Gypsies a lot more fascinating than the Romanichal Gypsies. Also, and this is completely shallow, that poor girl needed all the help she could get, she was not attractive (her right eye kept going places), she seemed completely graceless, & her dress did her no favors. She probably has limited social skills from being isolated from boys her whole life. 

GaT, at 1st I thought the Roma girl was stoned!! Then I realized she probably has some cognative delays. Did she say that she didn't go to school? That might explain the definate social awkwardness. She seemed sweet enough but trapped in a male dominated culture. I felt really sad for her.

• Love 1

Does this mean Dallas is the heir apparent of Mellie's wild side? So weird seeing Mellie acting like she's normal. And I wonder if this mostly Stanley episode is setting up a storyline for next season's Gypsy Sisters.

The men looked so sharp. The bride looked ridiculous.

How can someone put so much importance in a dress, in having the biggest, bling-iest dress? I don't get it. I mean, at all. Is it narcissism, or what? You have to have the best? You have been dreaming of the dress your whole life?

They seemed sweet together, and very in love. That was wonderful to see. 

A dress should never be an engineering feat. A dress should never require a flatbed truck to haul the wearer. 

But, I have to say, what fun for all of us to watch!

I balked when Nettie told Dallas to stop looking for a man. You raise these girls to believe that their only goal and purpose in life is to get married but you are telling her to stop looking for a man? Does not compute.

Mellie was right, Dallas has already found two men (well, males) & that's how she got two kids. I don't think she needs any more kids, & I'm guessing the words "birth control" are foreign to her. Dallas should stay away from men.

I thought Dallas was with Robbie, Mellie's ex? So many questions. How did she get such a nice car to roam around the country in? Why was Nellie telling her to take her kids? I wouldn't let those kids near her ever again. Why did they even entertain the idea of Dallas being in the wedding? How many venereal diseases does she carry? Who wishes Miley Cyrus never invented twerking?  

The other story was interesting. That poor girl didn't have a wonky eye, she was straight up cross-eyed.

Nellie was pregnant at this point, right?

The other girl seemed sweet. I hope she finds someone. Maybe someone can help with her hair.

Dallas is ... Wow. Can you imagine if she keeps on acting like this? Something bad is going to happen. Really bad. I was shocked. I've never seen someone act so wild.

(edited)

Three positive things:

(1) Nettie seemed very supportive of Lottie

(2) Whitey and Lottie have been together for five years. Yay for not getting married at 16  or a week after meeting each other!

(3) Lottie's dress was not ridiculously gigantic. She was able to get into the limo without any drama or pushing!

I hated how the front of her mullet dress turned up. I kept thinking she was going to flash the audience.

I love the beach. I got married at the beach. The Little Mermaid was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. Despite all this, I hated all those seashells on Lottie's dress, train, and headdress. Having all those seashells glued on every surface of her gown made her almost normal looking dress look like a bad arts and crafts project.

At the beginning, I was annoyed that Whitey was so insistent that Dallas had to be part of the wedding. I understand wanting to include your family, but obviously Lottie had a much clearer idea of how Dallas was going to act at the wedding and was right not to want her to be part of it. Later Whitey did seem to really care about Lottie (which is more than I can say about some of the other couples we have seen on this show). I still cringed at him wearing a vest without a shirt to his own wedding and then later cutting the cake without even the vest on. Of course, you can only expect so much class when people are yelling, "Put your tongue in her mouth!" after the priest says that the groom can kiss the bride and "Lick it off his face!" after the cake smashing.

Despite some of my issues with the tackiness, no one deserves to have the ridiculous kind of shit that Dallas pulled at their wedding. This is not a day for you to make announcements and drop the mic. Then again, this is a girl who is leaving her babies with her mom so that she can get drunk and twerk inanimate objects.

At first I thought Dallas was making an attempt to be reasonable when she said that if she went to the wedding, she would end up getting in a fight so it was just better for her not to go. Then she negated all that by not only showing up but showing up late and in her bridesmaid dress. What the hell? No sense of manners.

Who wishes Miley Cyrus never invented twerking?

Ha, Miley Cyrus wishes she had invented twerking instead of just appropriating it and then doing it as blandly and badly as possible.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Gypsy girls don't show their bodies?

Right?! What was that about?

I watched Mellie in the background, and she had a total bitch-face because the attention wasn't on her. I guess Dallas shares the same borderline personality disorder.

• Love 1

I took it more as a problem with Dallas showing her body "dancing" and twerking on the furniture than her outfit. It was like when they found out Mellie was stripping. I think some of the Gypsies have talked about wearing attractive/revealing clothing but not actually touching or being "impure" by what they act like. I think if Dallas hadn't been dancing like that and touching people, less would have been said.

I took it more as a problem with Dallas showing her body "dancing" and twerking on the furniture than her outfit. It was like when they found out Mellie was stripping. I think some of the Gypsies have talked about wearing attractive/revealing clothing but not actually touching or being "impure" by what they act like. I think if Dallas hadn't been dancing like that and touching people, less would have been said.

Now that I read this, I think you might be right. Last season on Gypsy Sisters, Kayla was going to remarry her husband, & all the girls were going out for a sort of a bachelorette party. The husband was being all Gypsy possessive & said he was coming to the party, & all the other women said they wouldn't go to the party if he was there because they wouldn't dance with him there. I don't think it's the outfits, I think it's the too sexy dancing.

• Love 1

Considering the dancing we have seen some of the teenage girls doing at the various parties, I find it hilarious that Nettie is drawing the line at Dallas dancing in public. In contrast, I thought it was cute that Lottie and Whitey were dancing arm's length apart like kids at a sixth grade dance at their own wedding reception.

Narrator: "Chelsea was arrested after a neighborhood street fight got out of control."

What's the gypsy version of a "controlled" street fight?

A wedding.

Nice to see a mother force her 16 years old daughter to marry her cousin. it's the American way.

• Love 3

This show is getting faker and faker as it goes along. It's funny how all these younger gypsies think the only thing that makes you a gypsy is to put tacky bling shit all over. The whole thing is bad acting and inconceivable story lines. Like that old lady would chase her daughter and grandbaby around with a bale of hay. This episode last night was about the most stupidest ones I've seen in a while.

• Love 1

When I was rewatching the rerun last night I saw the funniest sight I had to rewind it a few times. Last week I was too busy watching when Dallas spider jumped on the couch and started twerking all the way to when she fell off that half wall/armrest thing. But this time, my eyes went to Lottie dancing in front of that couch. It was the funniest sight. She was doing this weird dance with her long ass arms and legs and by the time Dallas fell off, Lottie's dancing turned into punching the air. So funny.

• Love 1

It's just such a shame to see a beautiful wedding cake that someone worked hard to make and should be eaten and enjoyed get thrown around all over and wind up as gooey garbage. It's no wonder wedding venues don't want to rent to gypsies. Smashing wedding cake into the face and hair of a beautiful bride that paid $$$ for makeup and hair shows disrespect IMO.

Was Julie's family related to The other Maryland family - the one with Swayze something or other? I seem to remember hearing the last name Small before. And when the grandma introduced herself as Tils and did the finger snapping twist thing, I thought for sure she had to be related to the Dirty Dancing guy!

Oh, Kayla. The point of having a baby is not so you will have a best friend who you can go get your hair and nails done with or to have a mini-me. And what was up with the glitter letters spelling out "Harmony" in the nursery? They alternated between silver and pink until the ON and then there were two letters in a row that were the same color. Did she run out of glitter? Forget a letter and have to go back?

Hahaha, "We have so many years before [Harmony] even says her first word!" On the plus side, her husband seemed supportive. I vaguely remember their wedding from last season (mostly her mother causing a scene at the wedding).

Her mom needs to have a seat. You don't get to bring hay to the hospital just because that's what you want. It would be one thing if Kayla agreed to it but she made it very clear that she didn't want that. I'm glad that Kayla sent her sister down to keep her from coming inside with her stupid bucket of hay. At least Kayla has enough sense to try to avoid confrontations instead of letting the fights happen. She seems to know how toxic her relationship with her mother is so I support her decision to keep her away.

It was nice to see that several of the people at the baptism were dressed appropriately for church. Not everyone, but many of guys were wearing shirts with buttons and collars! On a similar note, I wasn't a fan of the zoot suits that Tony and the other guys were wearing at Chelsey's wedding, at least they weren't wearing t-shirts or vests without shirts or just completely shirtless as we have seen at other weddings.

I totally cracked up when the narrator said that Sondra Celli has dressed "generations of gypsies." While it's technically true that she has dressed a lot of gypsies, how long has she been in business? I guess she has dressed at least two generations (Kayla and her baby) but they are trying to make it sound like Sondra Celli has been around for like a hundred years.

While I understand Crystal wanting Chelsey not to be so wild, what kind of mother asks her 16 year old daughter, "Don't you think it's time you settle down?" Uhhhh, no. When your 16 year old daughter is the logical one (doesn't want to get married at 16, doesn't want to marry a cousin), that tells you a lot.

As for that ridiculous saying that if a girl sits in a chair and her feet touch the floor then she's ready to get married, more no. So once you hit puberty and have your growth spurt, you're ready to get married at the ripe old age of 12? Gross.

I was cringing when I saw that the family built a fire in the backyard to cook their hot dogs on sticks.

Tony's "pride" doodle was sad. When they then zoomed in on the "pride" tattoo on his arm, I was relieved that at least the doodle probably wouldn't be used for another pride. I wasn't sure if he was being dedicated or delusional when he talked about Chelsey coming around to him.

What kind of mother arranges for her 16 year old to marry her own cousin and then only lets them meet once before marrying two weeks later? Oh, right, the kind of mother who says, "Girls can't just do what they want and marry who they want." I swear, these women set feminism back 50 years every time they open their mouths.

It was sad to see Chelsey almost give in to the wedding simply because it meant having a party and getting a pretty dress. I don't blame her for getting mad that her mother ordered her wedding dress without even consulting with her.

To hear Crystal say that Chelsey getting married would stop her from getting into trouble with the law was ridiculous. First of all, if Crystal hadn't dictated everything about this marriage, Chelsey wouldn't have run off and gotten into a fight. Secondly, if Chelsey has a temper, getting married isn't going to change that. Then Crystal was sitting on their stoop waiting for Chelsey to get out of jail. What kind of mother doesn't go pick her daughter up? Oh, right, the kind who says now that she's made a huge decision like who she is going to marry, she will try not to make all her decisions for her.

I fear that Chelsey's main motivation for agreeing to this marriage was to escape her mother. If her husband tries to control her, she may end up divorced at a very young age and back in her mother's house and under her control again. I hope that her husband is kind and patient with her.

Oh, Chelsey. "Most prettiest"? Ha, does Sondra Celli make those skirts so big/wide to prevent the husbands from getting too close? Man, the awkwardness of that wedding. The way she was standing at the altar and in the pictures afterward - her body language was pretty clear.

As much as I don't like food fights (and dude, why throw cake when you could eat cake?), part of me loved that Crystal thought once the ring was on Chelsey's finger, she would magically behave herself and that this was Chelsey proving her wrong.

I seem to remember hearing the last name Small before. 

The Smalls are a very big Gypsy family (like the Stanleys), so you'll hear the name a lot on this show.

I totally cracked up when the narrator said that Sondra Celli has dressed "generations of gypsies." While it's technically true that she has dressed a lot of gypsies, how long has she been in business? I guess she has dressed at least two generations (Kayla and her baby) but they are trying to make it sound like Sondra Celli has been around for like a hundred years.

Are you kidding me? With the ages the community marries at, it probably is entirely true. 

Also, it just occured to me that it might just be referring to events like that one seasons ago, with I think the Smalls family gettogether. There was the matriarch and her daughters and daughters in law and maybe other family members, and Sondra Celli made each of them a dress. 

Well considering how condensed Gypsy lives seem to be; married at 16, baby at 17, a grandma by mid 30's and an 'elder' at 45-50 trying to pass on the gypsy ways before they die. Sadly Sondra HAS dressed generations of gypsys LOL

On the feet reaching the floor test for marriage, apparently at 45yo I'm still not ready for marriage-better go tell the hubby & kids!

• Love 1

I noticed something last night between episodes.  Crystal is the mother of both Chelsey AND Julie.  Which means Tils (crazy traditional grandmother) is grandmother to both.

So I beg the question: If Chelsey was the eldest, and the "wild child", why the hell wasn't Tils all over that girl?!  Julie had bells sewn into her dress to show purity, why not Chelsey?  And why didn't Tils pick her husband like she wants to do for Julie?

You can see Chelsey at Julie's party, but is she married at that point?  The dates and inconsistencies suck

I noticed something last night between episodes.  Crystal is the mother of both Chelsey AND Julie.  Which means Tils (crazy traditional grandmother) is grandmother to both.

So I beg the question: If Chelsey was the eldest, and the "wild child", why the hell wasn't Tils all over that girl?!  Julie had bells sewn into her dress to show purity, why not Chelsey?  And why didn't Tils pick her husband like she wants to do for Julie?

You can see Chelsey at Julie's party, but is she married at that point?  The dates and inconsistencies suck

I personally have doubts about that purity bell thing. In all of these shows I've seen (UK & US) I have never seen or heard about that before. It seems highly suspicious that a "tradition" would suddenly appear.

What is with these Gypsy "traditions" that we're suddenly hearing about for the first time? Is the entire season going to be full of these bullshit "traditions"? Like their real lives aren't weird enough, I don't think they need to start inventing crap.

• Love 2

I agree. There are lots of existing gypsy traditions that they could explain instead of making up new stuff (the bells from a few weeks ago come to mind). Ha, remember last season when they made someone made a huge deal about how the fiance has to bring the family a bottle of super special wine and it turned out to be something you can get at Trader Joe's? Never heard of that tradition before that episode and haven't heard it mentioned since!

• Love 2

What's up with the grooms wearing sunglasses at the altar? I first noticed that a couple of weeks ago and again last night. Makes no sense, especially in an indoor venue. Whatever happened to looking deeply into the eyes of your beloved as you say "I do". If I was the bride, I'd rip them off!

I'm so relieved to learn I can reclaim my virginity by bathing in goat's milk.

Oh btw the bride has 2 kids by 2 different fathers already no biggie. A milk bath will fix that! I love that the kids were never shown or mentioned. Maybe she doesn't have full custody of them. 

• Love 2

Yeah that bride was no prize, I don't know what that mother was being so protective about. The groom's mother should be the one to be so concerned, her 17 year old son marrying an older mom with two kids. He's gonna have his hands full!

• Love 1

Hahaha, I laughed so hard when Melissa said that her boyfriend "proposed on the internet" and that she has dreamed about that sine she was a little girl. Doesn't every ltitle girl dream of a guy proposing on the internet? Then I laughed that her mom said that Mason was being "too nice." Not that I think it's a great idea to get engaged a week after you meet, but you'd think her traditional gypsy mother would just be glad that her daughter, who already has two kids with two different non-gypsies, is (1) getting married (2) to a gypsy (3) who doesn't seem to care that she isn't a virgin.

I also thought it was hilarious that whenever Melissa skyped with Mason, she tilted her tablet downward to get maximum cleavage and flattering angles. Is it really necessary to have the word BRIDE written on the back of the dress? I mean, I know it's purple instead of traditional white but I don't think many people will wonder if she's the one getting married. Oh, sorry, I meant GYPSY BRIDE on the back. That veil of darkness seems a little dangerous. She's already wearing a huge heavy dress so let's make sure she can't see while she's walking down stairs so maybe she will trip and fall! Couldn't they wait until she got to the church to put that stupid veil on? Wait, that's using too much common sense!

Interesting that the show waited until just before the wedding to tell us that Mason is only 17. Or did they show his age earlier and I just totally missed it?

When Alyssa said that she wanted her wedding dress to be lacy AND furry, I thought good lord, what kind of muppet dress is Sondra Celli going to make? It looked exactly like what a six year old would want for a costume. But it matched her blue eyeshadow perfectly! Brian is a TERRIBLE rapper. I can't believe that she forgave him using the old Maury Povich guest excuse ("But I loooooooove him!"). And OF COURSE Alyssa was so concerned with defending her new husband that she took off her skirt and was running around in her corset and underwear.

In retrospect, maybe it wasn't a great idea for them to have two girls with rhyming names in the same episode.

On a shallow note, what the hell is with all these girls and their overplucked eyebrows?

Alyssa's ice blue and fur dress looked like Frozen's Elsa on steroids. I know a lot of four year olds who would think it was the most beautiful dress ever. But then again, even they would probably not wear it as a wedding dress.

I didn't buy Melissa as the dutiful, obedient gypsy daughter. She had two kids with gorgers (I didn't realize there were two dads until I got on here, I must have missed that) so where was her traditional gypsy mom then?

• Love 1

On a shallow note, what the hell is with all these girls and their overplucked eyebrows?

Have you ever seen the UK (IMO better) version of this show? The girls there are absolutely the opposite, they all have heavy, dark, drawn on eyebrows.

• Love 1