Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

On 9/12/2020 at 9:31 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I'll get tomatoes tossed at me and my woman card taken away. But Steve cheating on Miranda did not happen in a vacuum. No, it was NOT ALL her fault, but treating Steve like he was some obligation and saying, "Let's get this over with!" with regard to sex/intimacy does not a good marriage make. And from the context, it had been happening for some time. She could make time for Samantha, Carrie, and Charlotte, but not her marriage? Her priorities were out of whack, too.

I WILL say that Steve should have pushed the issue. And not cheated, naturally.

But while I don't CONDONE what he did, I do understand it, to a point. Marriage requires work and sacrifice from both partners.

At least they took the time to evaluate and decided the marriage was worth saving.

I for one don't want to toss tomatoes at you because I felt a bit shamed for having a similar opinion. I appreciate that there's another person who didn't see the situation as black and white either.  And this is coming from someone who's had trauma, mental health issues, has had time periods where I worked every day of the week juggling different jobs, family medical issues, etc, etc. I find it really insulting that there's this implication that if you see Steve as anything other than an awful cheater and Miranda as perfection, that you must be clueless about stress and anxiety, have no idea what it's like to have sex not be a priority, and be cool with cheating. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't know that is taking Steve's side, so much as pointing out that the marriage appeared troubled prior to Steve's cheating. 

The marriage was in trouble.  I 100% believe if things had been good or even OK in their marriage Steve would not have cheated. However he did cheat and that was wrong.  Yes perhaps Miranda should have tried to make more time for them to have time together but Steve was at fault and I don't think Miranda should have forgiven him easily.  They both needed to work on repairing their marriage if it had any hope of surviving.

4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Steve was an asshole for cheating on Miranda.

Yes he was. Just as Carrie was an asshole for cheating on Aiden. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Yes he was. Just as Carrie was an asshole for cheating on Aiden. 

And then Carrie went to Abu Dhabi and kissed Aidan while being married to Big.  LOL.  WHAT A NUT.

I think there seem to be numerous people taking both sides of the issue.  I don't see judgement, but that's just me. For me what's important is feeling like we're allowed the space to criticize the show, its characters, and its writing.  If everyone is simply defending the show, I feel like that's just one point of view.

There's some things I love about the show, it's like my 5th favourite show of all time, or something?  But there are some things I take personal issue with.  And that's just about me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think there seem to be numerous people taking both sides of the issue.  I don't see judgement, but that's just me. For me what's important is feeling like we're allowed the space to criticize the show, its characters, and its writing.  If everyone is simply defending the show, I feel like that's just one point of view.

I love this board and our many discussions about all things SATC.  I could talk (or type) about this show all day long.  Until I came here I thought I was one of very few people who didn't like Carrie.  I also thought more people didn't like Steve  I enjoy hearing (reading) other people's perspectives.

• Love 7

Out of boredom I put on the first movie for background noise the other day and as said here multiple times, it kills me how poorly written both movies are. 
I picked up the series on the $29.99 iTunes sale so i can watch without digging out dvds so I’ve been rewatching (again!) 

• Love 4
On 9/12/2020 at 9:31 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I'll get tomatoes tossed at me and my woman card taken away. But Steve cheating on Miranda did not happen in a vacuum. No, it was NOT ALL her fault, but treating Steve like he was some obligation and saying, "Let's get this over with!" with regard to sex/intimacy does not a good marriage make. And from the context, it had been happening for some time. She could make time for Samantha, Carrie, and Charlotte, but not her marriage? Her priorities were out of whack, too.

I WILL say that Steve should have pushed the issue. And not cheated, naturally.

But while I don't CONDONE what he did, I do understand it, to a point. Marriage requires work and sacrifice from both partners.

At least they took the time to evaluate and decided the marriage was worth saving.

I’m right there with you. I’m not taking away your woman card. If one gets married with the understanding that meeting each other’s need for partnered sex is a part of the equation, just dismissing that need (without a really good reason- like a severe health issue or something) is kinda crappy. Miranda had time for all other sorts of recreation but not sex with her husband?

I understand why Steve cheated. I don’t agree but I understand. And he confessed immediately. They addressed their marriage in therapy and worked on things. 

• Love 7
On 9/16/2020 at 1:03 AM, LemonSoda said:

Out of boredom I put on the first movie for background noise the other day and as said here multiple times, it kills me how poorly written both movies are. 
I picked up the series on the $29.99 iTunes sale so i can watch without digging out dvds so I’ve been rewatching (again!) 

I watch both movies all of the time!   Instant pick me up.

I do think that the second one is terribly written, but I love the first one.  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I watch both movies all of the time!   Instant pick me up.

I do think that the second one is terribly written, but I love the first one.  

The first one has some good moments for me, much more than the second. 
Did you like Carrie’s apartment makeover? 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

That's a great question.  Let me watch the movies again and I'll let you know.  I never need convincing to watch them again 🙂

• LOL 3
On 9/19/2020 at 8:33 PM, LemonSoda said:

I actually liked Carrie’s apartment makeover—brighter colors, great furniture, and a better layout 

I definitely enjoyed the first movie better overall over the second (although the writing for both movies had major flaws for me)...the 2nd film I’ll watch when I’m in the mood for some “good, bad tv”. It’s horribly written, but I can still find enjoyment out of some parts, just because they’re so bad 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

I actually liked Carrie’s apartment makeover—brighter colors, great furniture, and a better layout 

I definitely enjoyed the first movie better overall over the second (although the writing for both movies had major flaws for me)...the 2nd film I’ll watch when I’m in the mood for some “good, bad tv”. It’s horribly written, but I can still find enjoyment out of some parts, just because they’re so bad 

I ran to ABC to get that mirrored vanity once it was released where it came from. 
The second movie had some cute moments but overall it was did someone write this while hungover and watching bad soaps? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I liked it as well, in that it brightened and modernized up a dingy seeming apartment.  Though I did not like the built in storage shelves once I realized there was writing all over the front of them. 

I didn't like the second movie because it felt like they maybe had 30 minutes of actual story and nearly two hours of filler.   

• Love 4
On 9/29/2020 at 10:41 AM, txhorns79 said:

I didn't like the second movie because it felt like they maybe had 30 minutes of actual story and nearly two hours of filler.   

I agree. I can watch the beginning till they go overseas and a little bit of the ending.  Whoever thought going to Abu Dhabi  was a good idea was clearly wrong.

• Love 4
On 9/30/2020 at 2:29 PM, blondiec0332 said:

I agree. I can watch the beginning till they go overseas and a little bit of the ending.  Whoever thought going to Abu Dhabi  was a good idea was clearly wrong.

Yeah, New York was supposed to be the fifth friend. Taking them out of New York was a terrible idea. I hated the way they acted in Abu Dhabi. But the worst thing about the second movie was the character assassination on Aidan. The Aidan from the series would NEVER have kissed Carrie (or anyone) while both were married. Not to mention, it was way too far-fetched that they ran into each other in another country.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Not to mention, it was way too far-fetched that they ran into each other in another country.

That is one of the worst plot devices. People running into each other in places they don't normally frequent just to facilitate the next plot move. I don't know if Abu Dhabi tourism bureau paid the producer outrageous sums of money or not but pretty much everything that happened in Abu Dhabi could have happened in NYC and Carrie and Aidan running into one another would have been totally believable. 

• Love 10
21 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Yeah, New York was supposed to be the fifth friend. Taking them out of New York was a terrible idea. I hated the way they acted in Abu Dhabi. But the worst thing about the second movie was the character assassination on Aidan. The Aidan from the series would NEVER have kissed Carrie (or anyone) while both were married. Not to mention, it was way too far-fetched that they ran into each other in another country.

I just wish Samantha wasn't turned into an unprofessional sex cartoon.  Think about it.  She blew up what could have been a huge account because she was unwilling to follow the customs of the country, and was unable to control herself around a good looking guy.  

I also wish they had more deeply explored Carrie and Big's relationship problems.  There was an interesting idea there about exploring what happens after "the happily ever after" vibe of the ending of the first movie, and how a couple can survive without the relationship being dramatic all the time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
18 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I also wish they had more deeply explored Carrie and Big's relationship problems.  There was an interesting idea there about exploring what happens after "the happily ever after" vibe of the ending of the first movie, and how a couple can survive without the relationship being dramatic all the time. 

By the time the second movie came around SATC had become superficial.   It was all about the clothes and I say this as a fan who absolutely loved the series and first movie. During the series the clothes were like  bit part cast members. You noticed them but they didn't take away from the plot. Unless they were a plot point (usually Carrie's shoes).  The first movie the clothes were promoted to supporting cast members. But the second movie they were like the fucking lead characters.  There was so much ripe material for a good plot with where the characters were at in their lives but it was wasted. I think most of us here could have written a better story outline than what those writers wrote.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Yes, for me that's the best thing about the second movie.  The domestic struggles that Carrie and Big were experiencing (I use the phrase "struggles" very loosely here, Carrie was very privileged) was the most interesting thing about the movie and by this point SJP and Chris Noth had such an ease with each other that they should have hit this point harder and explored it further.  Abu Dhabi pointed out how racist and ignorant the writers could be, such a mistake.  And even though it was total stunt casting, maybe the Penelope Cruz character could have had more than like 2 lines or whatever she had.

At the same time, Miranda, Charlotte, and Sam could all have their own plots as well and of course all the 4 women would hang out, but not in the way that they did in the second film, and they didn't have to try to ruin Samantha.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

Speaking of apartments, I hated Big and Carrie’s apartment in The second movie. It was dark and fussy, and appeared to be a one bedroom.  You would think that if Aidan could afford Carrie’s apartment and the one next door, Big and successful author Carrie could have sprung for a second bedroom. Don’t get me started on Miss Ellen’s poteers that hung on the windows like 1866. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 10/24/2020 at 5:02 PM, Mu Shu said:

Speaking of apartments, I hated Big and Carrie’s apartment in The second movie. It was dark and fussy, and appeared to be a one bedroom.  You would think that if Aidan could afford Carrie’s apartment and the one next door, Big and successful author Carrie could have sprung for a second bedroom. Don’t get me started on Miss Ellen’s poteers that hung on the windows like 1866. 

I never really liked any of the apartments in the series and movies.  Charlotte's apartment (the one she got from her marriage to Trey) was OK but I wasn't crazy about the decor.  I know it was supposed to be conservative and old money like Charlotte but there was too many earth tones.  It needed some color.  Especially after she had kids.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2020 at 9:03 AM, blondiec0332 said:

By the time the second movie came around SATC had become superficial.   It was all about the clothes and I say this as a fan who absolutely loved the series and first movie. During the series the clothes were like  bit part cast members. You noticed them but they didn't take away from the plot. Unless they were a plot point (usually Carrie's shoes).  The first movie the clothes were promoted to supporting cast members. But the second movie they were like the fucking lead characters.  There was so much ripe material for a good plot with where the characters were at in their lives but it was wasted. I think most of us here could have written a better story outline than what those writers wrote.

It was like they were no longer characters but models trying to look fabulous for a fashion shoot.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

It was like they were no longer characters but models trying to look fabulous for a fashion shoot.

At least they let Miranda have nice clothes. That rust silk paisley jumpsuit and the olive green watered silk dress she wore were just gorgeous on her. 

• Love 5

This is an interesting video about how everyone loves Samantha but most women do not want to be her. This is because even on the show she is often treated like a joke.

It also discusses that older single men who sleep around are well respected where older single women are looked upon as pathetic.

It also addresses how Miranda is the sleeper hit character of the series. When the show started the Miranda character was considered undesirable and now she is probably what most women identify as the most.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

Kim Cattrall was on The Kelly Clarkson Show and shared this story about her life, which I had no idea about.

From Wikipedia:

On 21 December 1988, Cattrall was booked on Pan Am 103 from London to New York City. She missed the doomed flight because she made the last-minute decision to go shopping at Harrods to buy her mother a teapot. She re-booked herself on a flight that departed Heathrow 45 minutes after Pan Am 103 departed. When she landed in New York, she learned that her original flight was brought down by a terrorist bomb over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing all 259 people on the plane and 11 people on the ground.

Long before Sex and the City even started.  😲

Some of you are interested, so here's the video as well.  Her mother called her and said I need that teapot 🙂.  She was being a good daughter.  So sad for those people on that plane.   Kim also said she just became a U.S. citizen.

https://www.kellyclarksonshow.com/video/kim-cattrall-nearly-boarded-a-plane-that-exploded-after-takeoff/4254675

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 11/5/2020 at 7:29 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

On 21 December 1988, Cattrall was booked on Pan Am 103 from London to New York City. She missed the doomed flight because she made the last-minute decision to go shopping at Harrods to buy her mother a teapot. She re-booked herself on a flight that departed Heathrow 45 minutes after Pan Am 103 departed. When she landed in New York, she learned that her original flight was brought down by a terrorist bomb over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing all 259 people on the plane and 11 people on the ground.

So Kim's mother inadvertently saved her daughter's life!

Another passenger on that doomed flight happened to be the son of actor David White, most famously known for his role on Bewitched as Larry Tate. Apparently, his son's death gutted the poor man, and White would pass away not long after in 1990.

• Love 4

The show is returning - albeit without Samantha. My take?

I loved the original series and even sort of enjoyed the first movie - even if I never bought the Steve/Miranda plot.

But after the fur flying and denigrating Kim Cattrall just because she did not want a third film (and likely having Samantha be humiliated again as she was in movie #2!), I personally have no interest in this.

But for those who do? Enjoy!

• Love 2

You learn something new everyday. 
Today at the Dentist, my appointment ran late so I sat there flipping through all of their waiting room books. One was Nicky Hilton’s. She mentioned that it was supposed to be the Hilton sisters as the loud neighbors creating all the loud ruckus when Samantha moves in to the Meatpacking District. Unfortunately they missed their flight from LA and everything was replaced last minute. 

I was surprised to read that because I can’t recall hearing it before even in all the SATC books and specials. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Quof said:

Your dentist's office still has reading material?  No healthcare provider in my area has had reading material in the waiting room since the days of H1N1.  

All the magazines that are usually there were gone but a stack of hardcover books were still there. 

• Love 1

You can’t recapture former glory when it hasn’t aged well, this is SJP’s pure narcissism and obtuseness at its worst. My guess is Kim Cattrall is going to have the last laugh when this fizzles.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
On 12/23/2020 at 1:54 AM, Quof said:

Your dentist's office still has reading material?  No healthcare provider in my area has had reading material in the waiting room since the days of H1N1.  

That was the first thing I thought of as well.

On 12/22/2020 at 9:44 PM, WendyCR72 said:

The show is returning - albeit without Samantha. My take?

I loved the original series and even sort of enjoyed the first movie - even if I never bought the Steve/Miranda plot.

But after the fur flying and denigrating Kim Cattrall just because she did not want a third film (and likely having Samantha be humiliated again as she was in movie #2!), I personally have no interest in this.

But for those who do? Enjoy!

I have to agree. There is such a thing as going to the well too often.    Now I wouldn't have a problem with a SATC the next generation.   It would be fun to see a show showing women dating and dealing with life in 2021. It could even have Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha (if KC wanted to) cameo.  

12 hours ago, Not4Me said:

You can’t recapture former glory when it hasn’t aged well, this is SJP’s pure narcissism and obtuseness at its worst. My guess is Kim Cattrall is going to have the last laugh when this fizzles.

Sadly I have to agree with this too.  Carrie would be in her 50s now but something tells me she would still be doing that screeching she so often found it necessary to do.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Honestly, I'm excited about the news! I know the reboots are very rarely as good. I know the show isn't the same without Samantha. I know sometimes it's best to leave things in the past no matter how amazing they were. But I loved the heck out of SATC and still haven't been able to find a similar show I enjoy as much in years. Something that touches on not just sex, but love, friendship, fashion. I will at the very least give the new show a shot. 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Now I wouldn't have a problem with a SATC the next generation.   It would be fun to see a show showing women dating and dealing with life in 2021. It could even have Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha (if KC wanted to) cameo.  

Sadly I have to agree with this too.  Carrie would be in her 50s now but something tells me she would still be doing that screeching she so often found it necessary to do.

With some clever writing, I’d love to see an updated version. Especially now that apps, social media, sliding in to DM’s is the new meet cute. 
Candace Bushnell’s last book talked about how much dating has changed. 

11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Honestly, I'm excited about the news! I know the reboots are very rarely as good. I know the show isn't the same without Samantha. I know sometimes it's best to leave things in the past no matter how amazing they were. But I loved the heck out of SATC and still haven't been able to find a similar show I enjoy as much in years. Something that touches on not just sex, but love, friendship, fashion. I will at the very least give the new show a shot. 🙂

I understand this! I’ve watched so many shows out of my target demographic just to see the fashion, set design (Gossip Girl, The Carrie Diaries) The closest I’ve come recently to something was Katy Keene but it didn’t last long. 

• Love 4

I don't have high expectations for the reboot. If there were good stories left to tell, they should have been told in the second movie. This seems like a vanity project for SJP because she was never as successful in anything else after SATC, and Kristin and Cynthia are probably just there for the paycheck.

• Love 9

I really with they could have made it work with Kim.  For many of us she's the obvious highlight of the show.  That salary information is a real eye opener.

People always put down the show "Friends" and its cast but they were so brilliant to negotiate as a team.  I think "Big Bang Theory" followed in their footsteps.  

I know that the show was FOR SJP and based AROUND SJP, but damn, the differences are so staggering.  I think that "Friends" was supposed to be a show for David Schwimmer too and he started out the highest paid but his mother is a brilliant lawyer who told him to negotiate this way anyway, and that's why the show lasted 10 years and everyone's under the impression that they still get along with no hard feelings.  (Oh, and they all ended up multimillionaires obviously.)

There's so many shows that seem to go through this drama of the "star" not getting along with the fan favourite - The Golden Girls, The Good Wife, Star Trek (Kate Mulgrew/Jeri Ryan) and now Will and Grace as well.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I really with they could have made it work with Kim.  For many of us she's the obvious highlight of the show.  That salary information is a real eye opener.

People always put down the show "Friends" and its cast but they were so brilliant to negotiate as a team.  I think "Big Bang Theory" followed in their footsteps.  

I know that the show was FOR SJP and based AROUND SJP, but damn, the differences are so staggering.  I think that "Friends" was supposed to be a show for David Schwimmer too and he started out the highest paid but his mother is a brilliant lawyer who told him to negotiate this way anyway, and that's why the show lasted 10 years and everyone's under the impression that they still get along with no hard feelings.

There's so many shows that seem to go through this drama of the "star" not getting along with the fan favourite - The Golden Girls, The Good Wife, Star Trek (Kate Mulgrew/Jeri Ryan) and now Will and Grace as well.

I just checked the salaries and damn! Had no idea SJP got paid so much more. I'm not an SJP hater. I really enjoy her actually. But I enjoyed ALL the women!

How do people put down Friends? I've seen enough Friends to know the characters by name, but I definitely find the show a little bland, compared to something like SATC. I think Friends wasn't escapism enough for me. I like either a lot of glamour or dreamy looking guys to watch. lol Not saying the cast was unattractive, just didn't do anything for me. I love that they all get along and were a team though.

Suzanne Somers thought she deserve the same amount as John Ritter on Three's Company right? I liked her acting just fine, but John was truly the star of that show. She was pretty blonde #1. There are times multiple characters and actors make a show, then there are others when there's one who's crucial and the rest really are just supporting. 

• Love 4

Everything that has and hasn't happened with SATC since the second movie IMO doesn't make SJP look too good. I think she underestimated Kim Cattrall and how much of a fan favorite she was.  The show might have been conceived as a star vehicle for SJP but after the first season it became more of an ensemble.

• Love 13

Is it really a reboot? It seems more like a sequel...then again, everything is called a reboot even when it isn't. 

The show might have been conceived as a star vehicle for SJP but after the first season it became more of an ensemble.

There is a lot of merit to that.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Doesn’t SJP get paid more because she’s an Executive Producer?

On The Office, all the big stars started negotiating Exec Producer status into their contracts as well.  I think Carell, Wilson, Krasinski, Fischer, and Novak.  Could be more.  I could be wrong on exactly who.

4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

How do people put down Friends?

I spend too much time on Twitter.  LOL.  People really put down the show and say it's crap, it was never good, it's overrated, etc.  It's still my favourite show.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I spend too much time on Twitter.  LOL.  People really put down the show and say it's crap, it was never good, it's overrated, etc.  It's still my favourite show.  

Friends is in my top ten as is SATC. Both shows celebrated friendships.  Both shows had characters that could easily have been caricatures but instead were relatable and made me root for them. And most importantly both had much talked about wardrobes of their female characters. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

And considering between TBS, Nick, and Nick 2 Friends is practically on 24 hours a day, it’s popular with a lot of people. That’s where the Executive Producer status can pay off...syndication 

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Friends is in my top ten as is SATC. Both shows celebrated friendships.  Both shows had characters that could easily have been caricatures but instead were relatable and made me root for them. And most importantly both had much talked about wardrobes of their female characters. 

SAME!!!!!!!!!!!   Early seasons Carrie, and Rachel Green always, are big style icons of mine.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Not4Me said:

Hmph, Carrie is still ranked way too high. Former wild girl, Laney from the baby shower episode is more likable than her.

The lady whose party trick was getting her boobs out at parties? Well damn. 😂

Edited by RealHousewife
  • LOL 6