Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

It would have been nice if we saw that in Paris. See her hitting up newspapers and magazines in Paris, checking other American newspapers and magazines that might be interested in an American NY in Paris articles or fashion or something. Start a blog.

Yep!  She saw everything there was to see in Paris in 2 weeks (yeah right LOL!!) and was bored.  Then DO SOMETHING if you're so damn bored!  Based on those people in the bookstore who wanted to throw Carrie a party, she had fans in Paris.  She could have done something, but chose not to.  Again, I chalk this up to her immaturity, she expects to get her ass kissed without putting forth any effort.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Most writers don't have a lot of money, and they write to earn their money.  So Carrie eventually wrote, as we found out.  If a writer or anyone else who has a trade or skill that makes them money wants to move to another country, I say go ahead and do it.  I'm not even sure why maturity factors in.  It's more about whether you have the personality to take risks and rely on yourself.  

But Carrie had a habit of relying on other people.  She moved to Paris to be with Alek. She was relying on him to give her a purpose in Paris. I understand her wanting to move on in life just as her friends had but the choice she made wasn't well thought out.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 7
(edited)

I think it was panic on her part. Her friends had all moved on and were in settled relationships. She was the only one who had not grown or changed.

of course though in typical Carrie style what she failed to realise was that she was responsible for her own happiness and growth. It wasn’t up to Alek or Big to sort it out for her. Just like it wasn’t up to Charlotte to buy her apartment for her because she blew all her money on shoes. 

But I suppose how would she ever learn when everything always worked out for her in the end. 

What was the point of the slap? I never understood why that happened as it didn’t add much to the story only we had to listen to Carrie give a fairytale speech on love and it led to her and Big laughing when she tripped him...

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 7
(edited)

The writers going OVERboard to rewrite Aleks as being horrible when he was never horrible before.  It was just silly.

I was never some huge Aleks fan or anything, but I thought that it was cool that the writers shared this totally different type of relationship for Carrie to enter.  An older, worldly, glamourous man who was very gentlemanly and romantic. It was something different.  Also he and Berg were both artists (actually come to think of it, so was Aidan) and seeing artists struggle in relationships with one another is always interesting.  Aleks and Berg were "tortured" artists, Aleks obviously a lot more successful.  Aidan was a commercial artist who seemed to be doing pretty well and content.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Chris Noth [Big] has a new gig - on a re-imagined version of The Equalizer which has been handed a series order. As with the original series, it will air on CBS. It stars Queen Latifah in the main role and also features Lorraine Toussaint (who also recurred on Law & Order [the same time Noth was on] as Shambala Green!).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I think it was panic on her part. Her friends had all moved on and were in settled relationships. She was the only one who had not grown or changed.

of course though in typical Carrie style what she failed to realise was that she was responsible for her own happiness and growth. It wasn’t up to Alek or Big to sort it out for her. Just like it wasn’t up to Charlotte to buy her apartment for her because she blew all her money on shoes. 

But I suppose how would she ever learn when everything always worked out for her in the end. 

What was the point of the slap? I never understood why that happened as it didn’t add much to the story only we had to listen to Carrie give a fairytale speech on love and it led to her and Big laughing when she tripped him...

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The writers going OVERboard to rewrite Aleks as being horrible when he was never horrible before.  It was just silly..

Yeah they wanted to make Alek terrible so they Big could "rescue" her and also so they could suddenly make Alek horrible so that Big suddenly looks so much better. The old derailing love interest trope which I don't really like because they always suddenly make a good guy or woman suddenly horrible out of the blue with no reason for it except to make the other guy or woman look better. But what I really don't like is Carrie makes a dumb decision. Going to Paris with someone she hadn't dated that long, doesn't really know, and it didn't go well. Although it would have been nice to see her trying to make a new life in Paris, new friends, job, etc. They do none of these. She mostly mopes while Aleks is busy which he told her he would be up because of the show. But then they don't let Carrie admit she made a mistake, realize she made a dumb decision. She's been the one who developed the least and it would have been really nice to see her "final" story in the series is she finally takes responsibility for making a dumb choice and grows. Rather then have Big go get her back from Paris. She realizes she made a dumb choice, ends things with Alek and returns to New York. They could have her bump into Big in the airport or something. Instead Aleks "hits" her, she leaves runs to Big, who wants to go hurt Alek but she doesn't and then they just laughed. But hey she gets a fairytale moment. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Here are the 3 alternate endings to the show...though the final episode itself would had to have been reworked quite a bit for the first 2 to work...the third one is basically the finale that we did get, just filmed a bit differently, I guess?

• Love 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Here are the 3 alternate endings to the show...though the final episode itself would had to have been reworked quite a bit for the first 2 to work...the third one is basically the finale that we did get, just filmed a bit differently, I guess?

I kind of like the third one best Carrie saying Big's getting his own place and their not rushing things. Good given their history, plus taking it slow makes it sound like their trying to learn from their mistakes. I do love Charlotte telling her friends about the adoption, showing them the picture of her baby and how excited they all are. That's real nice.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4

I didn’t even think Alek was that nice. Sure he was romantic at first but he quickly turned into a grumpy workaholic who was set in his ways. There was enough material there that she could have realised it was all wrong and left him. The addition of the slap was ridiculous.

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I didn’t even think Alek was that nice. Sure he was romantic at first but he quickly turned into a grumpy workaholic who was set in his ways. There was enough material there that she could have realised it was all wrong and left him. The addition of the slap was ridiculous.

In my interpretation he was an artist who was working towards a big show.  After the show, he could calm down again.  But I think his ex-wife said something like, there is always another exhibit coming.  I have a lot of artists in my family so I know how that stuff goes.  "The Phantom Thread" is a cool movie about this kind of life and romantic relationship.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
On 5/8/2020 at 9:05 AM, blondiec0332 said:

She also tracked Natasha down to say what she wanted to say. Never mind that neither Nina nor Natasha gave a fuck about what Carrie had to say. 

I loved that scene with Natasha!  Carrie needed to clear her conscience and get forgiveness, but Natasha was having none of it.  I applauded Natasha for the evil eye she gave Carrie.  For a moment, Carrie thought that Natasha was going to apologize to her after she said she was sorry, but then followed it up with something along the lines of "I'm sorry too.  Not only have you ruined my marriage, now you've ruined my lunch!"  I'm sure the line was a little different than that, but that's how I remember it.  

• Love 12

Carrie was so awful in that episode.  Also why would you dress to the 9s when meeting the woman who's husband you stole?  Especially when you were uninvited to the lunch.  She wore Galliano for Dior!  Oh, she was so bad.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie was so awful in that episode.  Also why would you dress to the 9s when meeting the woman who's husband you stole?  Especially when you were uninvited to the lunch.  She wore Galliano for Dior!  Oh, she was so bad.

That always baffles me. Even more so when the dress shows up in the movie. I remember all the other women in the theatre cheering to see the dress again and the entire time I’m like ummm but that’s the dress she ruined Natasha’s lunch in! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I admit, I loved the dress!  But wrong moment!  Wrong time to debut it.

I love that dress too! I really loved Galliano’s work at Dior. But it felt cringey to see her wearing it for that moment then later wearing it again to go out with the man formerly married to the woman whose lunch she ruined while wearing it. 

• Love 8

For a moment, Carrie thought that Natasha was going to apologize to her after she said she was sorry

And honestly...what the hell did Natasha have to apologize for, anyway?

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Hiyo said:

And honestly...what the hell did Natasha have to apologize for, anyway?

Exactly!  In Carrie's mind though, I'm sure she justified her own actions in a way that Natasha should somehow feel guilty and share the blame.  There were many times that I couldn't figure out what was going on in Carrie's shoe-obsessed brain.  😉  

• Love 7

I always thought that Carrie expected Natasha to apologize for getting with, and marrying, Big. I love her look of surprise when Natasha proceeded to do exactly that but dripping with disdain and sarcasm.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

Rewatching S1 right now. I’m watching The Drought aka the fart episode. I’ve always been curious what was going through Big’s head when he’s walking around her apartment looking at everything and he says “So this is where you live!” He said it with such surprise. As if he expected it to be different. Did he expect a mess? I know it’s such a little detail but it’s something I think about every time I see this episode. 

Now the episode where Carrie stalks Big and his Mom at church. Ugh. 

• Love 5
On 5/9/2020 at 4:01 AM, Hiyo said:

I wasn't a big fan of the original finale, but these are all worse!

• Love 3
On 5/9/2020 at 9:36 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie was definitely awful to Natasha, and I'm not a Carrie hater. 

I think Carrie felt inferior to Natasha. She was always insecure about not fitting into Big's perfect world and even compared herself to his other wife. Big took no time deciding to marry Natasha after he told Carrie he'd never marry anyone again. Carrie was attractive, but Natasha was classically beautiful. I thought it was funny she was dubbed "the idiot stick figure with no soul" when Carrie was very tiny too, just not long and lanky.

• Love 5
(edited)

Of course Carrie felt inferior to Natasha.  Big didn't want to fully commit to Carrie and he goes and marries Natasha, somebody 10 years younger than her.   This is something Carrie admitted outright.

But she got her revenge by stealing Natasha's husband! She didn't intend to, but that was the end result.  Have some  dignity after getting out from under the clouds of that.  If she happened to see Natasha in public, she could politely nod and keep walking.  Don't ACCOST her at dinner.  Then there's no opportunity to feel "inferior" and feel the need to overcompensate by wearing Dior.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 5/11/2020 at 4:55 AM, LemonSoda said:

I’ve always been curious what was going through Big’s head when he’s walking around her apartment looking at everything and he says “So this is where you live!” He said it with such surprise. As if he expected it to be different. Did he expect a mess? I know it’s such a little detail but it’s something I think about every time I see this episode. 

LOL, was Big so rich that he didn't know what a normal person's apartment looked like?  Even though now in 2020 Carrie's apartment in NYC is a DREAM apartment, maybe back then it was just so normal and non-luxurious to him?  He was supposed to be like a young Trump after all.

There's a scene in "Two Weeks Notice" where Hugh Grant (also supposed to be a Trump like character) dates Sandra Bullock (a left wing hippie type) and he goes to her little NYC apartment and he's flabbergasted that he can walk from one end of her apartment to the other in 6 paces.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
On 5/9/2020 at 7:36 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

In my interpretation he was an artist who was working towards a big show.  After the show, he could calm down again.  But I think his ex-wife said something like, there is always another exhibit coming.  I have a lot of artists in my family so I know how that stuff goes.  "The Phantom Thread" is a cool movie about this kind of life and romantic relationship.

I'm more used to the writing crowd. Once your story is done there's always another one on the horizon. But that makes sense. Once he finished the show and he probably would calm down for a bit. But then soon would be working towards another exhibit or working on another piece. It just keeps going. That's something you do have to think about when being with someone married or living together. What ever their career is kind of how your life is going to go. With Aleks its always going to be another show and piece. If its a doctor or cop their always going to be on call and called away.  If your a business man well that might mean a lot of meetings and travel. Steve owns a bar so a lot of late nights. If she was going to be with Alek that's part what their life would be. Some people can handle that and some can't. Not that Carrie ever thinks about that or anything but putting herself and what she wants first. But that's something you have to think about. One of my co-workers back when I worked in the store married a guy who was a doctor and had a lot of money. But she alone a lot of the time. She admitted at times even though she loved him. It was hard. One of the reasons she kept her job was to give something to do and people to interact with.  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

LOL, was Big so rich that he didn't know what a normal person's apartment looked like?  Even though now in 2020 Carrie's apartment in NYC is a DREAM apartment, maybe back then it was just so normal and non-luxurious to him?  He was supposed to be like a young Trump after all.

There's a scene in "Two Weeks Notice" where Hugh Grant (also supposed to be a Trump like character) dates Sandra Bullock (a left wing hippie type) and he goes to her little NYC apartment and he's flabbergasted that he can walk from one end of her apartment to the other in 6 paces.

I don’t know LOL! That’s partially why it’s so amusing. Carrie also painted that episode which was amusing because I can’t see S6 Carrie painting her own kitchen. But yes, he was wide eyed and worded So this is where you live! as if he was expecting a mess or something different. 

In retrospect Big’s place doesn’t seem like a place where a mogul would live. We saw regular people with better apartments, kitchens on the show. I did like the Big cooking scenes though. And Carrie’s place, while spacious doesn’t seem to fit her personality. 

I haven’t seen that film! I need to. 

• Love 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I think Carrie felt inferior to Natasha. She was always insecure about not fitting into Big's perfect world and even compared herself to his other wife. Big took no time deciding to marry Natasha after he told Carrie he'd never marry anyone again. Carrie was attractive, but Natasha was classically beautiful. I thought it was funny she was dubbed "the idiot stick figure with no soul" when Carrie was very tiny too, just not long and lanky.

Carrie's anger and resentment towards Natasha was misplaced, understandable but still misplaced.  Big is the person who Carrie should have been mad at.  I totally understand that he hurt her by marrying someone else after telling her he would never get married again.   The truth was he just didn't want to marry Carrie.  When she asked for an explanation he told her things were easier with Natasha.  I'm not a Big apologist but I can see his point.

17 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Deep down, Natasha was who Carrie wished she could be

16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Of course Carrie felt inferior to Natasha.  Big didn't want to fully commit to Carrie and he goes and marries Natasha, somebody 10 years younger than her.   This is something Carrie admitted outright.

I don't think Carrie admitted feeling inferior to Natasha.  Him choosing Natasha definitely brought out Carrie's insecurities.  

When I originally watched the show I felt so bad for Carrie being hurt by Big. But now in hindsight I think it is totally realistic that someone like Big married someone like Natasha. He was supposed to be a man like Trump (the 90s Trump not today's Trump) who was well known and had a high powered job. It is not unexpected that he would marry a woman who was part of that high society world.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 5

I don't think Carrie admitted feeling inferior to Natasha.

Not in those words, no, but I think she did throw out some comparisons between the two of them, and they weren't favorable to Carrie.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I don't think Carrie admitted feeling inferior to Natasha.  Him choosing Natasha definitely brought out Carrie's insecurities.  

It is my opinion that she did admit it.

Episode 303:

Carrie:  I know that. I know, it's not him. It's the whole wedding. And it's her...her! You know, she's just...you know, shiny hair, style section...Vera Wang. And I'm the sex column they run next to ads for penile implants.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Episode 303:

Carrie:  I know that. I know, it's not him. It's the whole wedding. And it's her...her! You know, she's just...you know, shiny hair, style section...Vera Wang. And I'm the sex column they run next to ads for penile implants.

She was mad at Natasha for being pretty and more polished than herself.  It's not Natasha's fault Big chose her over Carrie.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

She was mad at Natasha for being pretty and more polished than herself.  It's not Natasha's fault Big chose her over Carrie.

I have never claimed that it was Natasha's fault. 

My post is about Carrie feeling inferior to Natasha.

• Love 1

She really did which was misplaced. It was Big's fault. Not Natasha's. He told Carrie he never wanted to marry again and then he did after they broke up. It wasn't even that long after they broke up. But she puts it all her effort into hating Natasha instead of Big. Natasha got what Carried wanted which was Big to marry her. Probably because it was easier then putting it on Big. And easier then admitting and facing the fact that it wasn't that Big didn't want to get married but he didn't want to marry her.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

'Polished' is the perfect word for Natasha.  She seemed classier than Carrie.  I know that a lot of this show was about the fashion, but come on, a lot of those outfits Carrie wore were ugly and/or slutty looking.  I truly didn't understand many of the fashion choices on this show!

I thought that Big was pretty clear about the kind of relationship he wanted with Carrie, but she wanted more, and I don't blame her for that, but maybe with Natasha (guessing because we didn't get to really see her & Big together very much), she didn't nag him so much, so that's why the relationship was "easier" to Big.  However, I can understand Carrie's confusion and anger as to why he suddenly got married when he clearly stated that he didn't want to get married, but she should've been mad at Big, not Natasha.

• Love 3

I was either a glutton for punishment or just bored, but I rewatched the 2nd SATC movie. The most ridiculous part - other than going to Abu Dhabi, was seeing Big give Carrie that black diamond ring when she got back from her trip as a reminder that she's married and to never kiss another man again.  WTF?  Isn't that what the wedding ring is for?  Isn't that what the vows were for? 

She was unhappy because Big wanted to stay home one night and watch movies and she wanted to go out. Then he got a TV for their bedroom and that was all wrong.   Then she went to her apartment for 2 days in order to write her column, and when Big pipes up that he thinks that's a cool idea and he'd like 2 days alone, she freaks out.  She acts like her marriage is over and goes running into the arms of Aidan.  I really disliked that plot line.  She realizes what she has with Big, and then goes home and gets rewarded by him for her poor behavior.  Ugh.

The best part of the movie was seeing Miranda quit her job and end up with one she loved.  I've never seen her character as happy as she was by the end of that movie.   Her talk with Charlotte about the realities of motherhood was nice too.   

I'm not optimistic about another SATC movie.  I don't have much hope that it would be very good.  I'm fine with them leaving it well enough alone at this point!

• Love 5

I have been rewatching from season 1 and I’m sorry but I still just love this show.  And miss this show.  Maybe because it was the happiest time of my real life while it was on, and the nostalgia gets to me.  I know there’s a lot to pick apart but I can never get enough.  I laugh, I cry.  It’s like a comfy blanket.  💝💝💝

• Love 8
6 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Her talk with Charlotte about the realities of motherhood was nice too.   

I can’t remember for sure as I’ve tried to forget the movie ever existed but doesn’t she say something nasty to Charlotte before she goes to meet Aidan and that results in Charlotte/Miranda charting. I can only vaguely remember..

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

The truth was he just didn't want to marry Carrie.  When she asked for an explanation he told her things were easier with Natasha.  I'm not a Big apologist but I can see his point.

Exactly he just didn’t want to marry her. And it wasn’t because they had this complicated relationship and he couldn’t handle her/his deep feelings for her. it was because she was insecure, needed constant reassurance and never trusted the relationship and he just wanted an easy life. To quote Berger he’s just not that into you. 

Yet Carrie and the girls turn it into this big love story. I suppose it was realistic because a lot of people tend to do this after rejection. Romanticise it into a much more complicated situation then it is. 

The ending of that episode always makes me roll my eyes. When she references the way we were, he says he doesn’t get it and she says “and you never did” before strutting off. It’s meant to be this great moment but Bigs face is just WTF eye roll and mine too matched it. I can tell at that point why he was just over her. 

I believe Big fell in love with Carrie in the first and second series but by the time Paris rolled around I think He was Just over the relationship And wanted an easy life. I don’t think his marriage fell apart because he loved Carrie. I think it fell apart regardless and The Carrie affair was a result of that. I don’t think he really fell in love with her again until they became friends over the last few series.

Edited by Avabelle
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I have been rewatching from season 1 and I’m sorry but I still just love this show.  And miss this show. 

I like the show too,  but I also like to snark on Carrie!!  I've only seen the show in reruns, so I think that I missed a few things with each show due to commercials.  A few nights ago I tuned into Netflix thinking that it was the series being aired, but it was the movie.  I figured what the hell, I'll watch it again!   I'm glad that the show brings back good memories for you, geauxaway!  I didn't have HBO back in the day, so I was extremely late to the party in terms of catching up with SATC.  I've had to catch it here and there in reruns.  I didn't want to buy the DVDs.  

3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I can’t remember for sure as I’ve tried to forget the movie ever existed but doesn’t she say something nasty to Charlotte before she goes to meet Aidan and that results in Charlotte/Miranda charting. I can only vaguely remember. 

Charlotte warned Carrie that she was playing with fire by going to meet Aidan, and Carrie shot back with some hurtful comment about her marriage (I think she said something about her worrying about her husband cheating with the nanny and that didn't mean that she would cheat.   I can't remember the exact line though.)  It reminded me of when Miranda warned Carrie about going to Paris with "the Russian."  Carrie didn't listen then, and she didn't listen to Charlotte this time.  Samantha then advised her not to tell Big, but she did anyway.  She would've been better off listening to her friends!!

• Love 5

and Carrie shot back with some hurtful comment about her marriage (I think she said something about her worrying about her husband cheating with the nanny and that didn't mean that she would cheat.   I can't remember the exact line though.) 

Why any of these women are still friends with her, I just don't get...

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Her talk with Charlotte about the realities of motherhood was nice too.   

That was my favorite part of the movie.  Wait, let me rephrase; it was the only part of the movie I liked 🙂 

5 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I don’t think his marriage fell apart because he loved Carrie.

I don't think so either.  I thought when he & Natasha ran into Carrie at Aiden's showing (she was his "booth bitch"), we were supposed to see that things between them weren't particularly rosy.  I thought Natasha with the comment that this furniture isn't our style, with him snarking back that everything has to be beige, was supposed to be our hint of that.

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

It reminded me of when Miranda warned Carrie about going to Paris with "the Russian."  Carrie didn't listen then, and she didn't listen to Charlotte this time.  Samantha then advised her not to tell Big, but she did anyway.  She would've been better off listening to her friends!!

THIS!  Sometimes advice from friends is just that...advice...and not judgment.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Why any of these women are still friends with her, I just don't get

Not only that but she seemed to be their favourite friend. Like Carrie as Brady’s godfather? The fuck?! I always thought the women had nicer moments with each other as the series went on. In reality Carrie would be that self obsessed friend in the group everyone always bitches about when she’s not there. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Why any of these women are still friends with her, I just don't get...

That got harder to explain as the seasons went on and Carrie treated all her friends like crap. Each one should have had enough of Carrie at some point or got mad at her to the point that Carrie needed to apologize and stop treating them like crap. But nope, she never does and some how they never get upset at how she treats them.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That got harder to explain as the seasons went on and Carrie treated all her friends like crap. Each one should have had enough of Carrie at some point or got mad at her to the point that Carrie needed to apologize and stop treating them like crap. But nope, she never does and some how they never get upset at how she treats them.

I can argue that with Sam sleeping with any hot guy that walked. She didn't end up with some disease or an "oopps" pregnancy. Even going to the point how she was trying to keep her sex drive going into her 50s. At times I was to the point going: "you know, I'm tired of Sam trying to seek some guy to fuck."

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm watching the end of Season 5, "I love a Charade".  

Carrie laughs uproariously at the idea of Bitty (?) and Nathan Lane getting married, because Nathan's character is gay.  Right in their faces.  Then, she gets invited to their wedding, because Nathan's character just adores her, obviously.  Then, she writes in her column, something like "Should You say I do even without the Za Za Zu?"

LOL!  The Season 5 writers were absolutely on one, I swear.  They really just reveled in Carrie being a jerk and getting rewarded for it at every turn anyways.

How cringeworthy is it when Carrie bumps into Aidan with his kids and responds to him saying he has a family or something with her blurting out "I HAVE A DATE!"  LOL.

The Harry / Charlotte story is actually quite complex at its beginning.  I want to blame Harry for not telling Charlotte about the Judaism issue, but at the same time, Charlotte starts the "relationship" by purely treating Harry as a FuckBuddy.  But obviously through Season 5, things are progressing, as they're taking Hampton trips together and sleeping in each other's beds and waking up together, etc.  Charlotte tells Harry she's falling for him, and Harry says he has been falling for her since the beginning.  THEN he brings up he can't marry anyone Jewish.  It just doesn't seem fair for him to wait this long.

Looking back, I kind of think Charlotte should have dumped him, just to see if he'd come running back.  She's supposed to be The Rules Girl, but I guess the show tried to show her evolving so much in 5 seasons, but instead, it kind of feels like she's compromising, and Harry is doing nothing, which is exactly what angers me so much about Miranda and Steve.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I can’t remember for sure as I’ve tried to forget the movie ever existed but doesn’t she say something nasty to Charlotte before she goes to meet Aidan and that results in Charlotte/Miranda charting. I can only vaguely remember..

Yes.  

satc.jpg

3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I'm glad that the show brings back good memories for you, geauxaway!  I didn't have HBO back in the day, so I was extremely late to the party in terms of catching up with SATC.  I've had to catch it here and there in reruns.  I didn't want to buy the DVDs.  

There is NO WAY I had HBO either, but I think where I live, the reruns eventually got shown on a local cable network.  I was wondering, how the heck did I get so into this show back in the late 90s?  And that had to be the way.  I was obsessed.  Now, I have the DVDs, and even more fun, I find, is that I have an HBO type channel that shows the series on order, which is why I keep recapping what I record every night for everyone here.

Personally, I don't think Big was in love with Carrie for Seasons 1 and 2.  But I like the comment upthread about how he fell in love with her in later seasons when they were friends.  That's a nice way of putting it and I could see it.  

Big is an asshole, I don't see him as this great guy.  He wants what he can't have and he's not happy with what he does.  He treated Natasha horribly, and Carrie horribly too.  I know that Carrie wasn't perfect, but Big was also absolutely not perfect either.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm watching the end of Season 5, "I love a Charade".  

Carrie laughs uproariously at the idea of Bitty (?) and Nathan Lane getting married, because Nathan's character is gay.  Right in their faces.  Then, she gets invited to their wedding, because Nathan's character just adores her, obviously.  Then, she writes in her column, something like "Should You say I do even without the Za Za Zu?"

LOL!  The Season 5 writers were absolutely on one, I swear.  They really just reveled in Carrie being a jerk and getting rewarded for it at every turn anyways.

How cringeworthy is it when Carrie bumps into Aidan with his kids and responds to him saying he has a family or something with her blurting out "I HAVE A DATE!"  LOL.

The Harry / Charlotte story is actually quite complex at its beginning.  I want to blame Harry for not telling Charlotte about the Judaism issue, but at the same time, Charlotte starts the "relationship" by purely treating Harry as a FuckBuddy.  But obviously through Season 5, things are progressing, as they're taking Hampton trips together and sleeping in each other's beds and waking up together, etc.  Charlotte tells Harry she's falling for him, and Harry says he has been falling for her since the beginning.  THEN he brings up he can't marry anyone Jewish.  It just doesn't seem fair for him to wait this long.

Looking back, I kind of think Charlotte should have dumped him, just to see if he'd come running back.  She's supposed to be The Rules Girl, but I guess the show tried to show her evolving so much in 5 seasons, but instead, it kind of feels like she's compromising, and Harry is doing nothing, which is exactly what angers me so much about Miranda and Steve.

I agree and stuff like that needs to come up a lot sooner than so far into a relationship. Of course when I see everything with Miranda and Steve, especially by the time we get to the movie. It feels like things that NEEDED or SHOULD have come up much, much early on didn't. I felt like Harry's revelation was honestly just made up on the spot by the writers. Same with Miranda getting into: "Well, I'm married and have a kid now, but I NEED to show how strong of a work woman I am, I'm going to neglect everything else." It was just thrown in there with no build up or anything. 

• Love 3