Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

Just so Carrie can be the princess who defends NYC's honour.

Yeah, that made my eyes back flip a few times too. As did much of what else you wrote as well.

• Love 3

Now I'm at "Plus one is the loneliest number".

Carrie's Book opening party.  Why does everyone (well Carrie and Charlotte) feel the need to have a Plus One at this freaking party?  Women in their mid to late 30s in NYC can't attend a party without a plus one?  It seems very insecure.  Carrie forces Sam to come even though Sam tries HARD to decline because of her chemical peel and Charlotte brings Anthony because she gets dumped the night before. I understand inviting your friends but *needing* a plus one to attend with you?

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Now I'm at "Plus one is the loneliest number".

Carrie's Book opening party.  Why does everyone (well Carrie and Charlotte) feel the need to have a Plus One at this freaking party?  Women in their mid to late 30s in NYC can't attend a party without a plus one?  It seems very insecure.  Carrie forces Sam to come even though Sam tries HARD to decline because of her chemical peel and Charlotte brings Anthony because she gets dumped the night before. I understand inviting your friends but *needing* a plus one to attend with you?

Because this show didn't look favorably on singles.  Now that I am older and happily single (widowed in my early 40s, did the dating thing and now at 51 I love being single) I see the show in a different light. I watched originally when I was married and saw it as a show about women dating and looking for love and their friendship being the real love story.  But now when I watch it I see how single women are looked at as just waiting to not be single anymore.  It is possible to be a single woman and not be looking for a husband.  And you don't have to sleep with a lot of men.  A woman's life does not have to revolve around men and sex.  And yes I do realize the show is Sex in the City.

• Love 13

Carrie ends the episode saying she's lonely too.  That struck me, because in my head she just got out of a relationship with Aidan, but in the show's point of view, God forbid Carrie show up to her own book release party alone because people will talk.  It's pretty old fashioned.

• Love 4
On 5/5/2020 at 10:59 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Anchors Away"

Probably one of my least favorite episodes ever, the only part I like is the sailor telling Carrie she reminds him of his mom LOL! 

I had this episode on and had to go do something upstairs.  I ran back downstairs because I heard my dog scream, I thought she hurt herself...I go down to see her lying on her bed with a "what's up?" look on her face.  Here, it wasn't her, it was CARRIE shrieking because the wind blew her skirt.  But this was a shriek unlike any other shriek she's ever done.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

It just doesn't make sense.  There are so few things in life where shrieking was my natural reaction.  I've dropped plates of full meals, I've almost been hit by cars, I've been startled in hallways.  I've GASPED, yes.  But shrieking?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

It just doesn't make sense.  There are so few things in life where shrieking was my natural reaction.  I've dropped plates of full meals, I've almost been hit by cars, I've been started in hallways.  I've GASPED, yes.  But shrieking?

LOL yep!  Just this morning my ankle gave out when I was crossing the street.  I said "Whoa!!!!" a lot louder than I meant to, but I didn't do a non-human sounding shriek!

• Love 5

Carrie forces Sam to come even though Sam tries HARD to decline because of her chemical peel

And then Carrie made her feel like shit when she did show up.

CARRIE shrieking

SJP and/or the writers must have thought it was very appealing for some reason. They were wrong.

• Love 7
(edited)

I always thought the shriek was so unnatural. What about when she sees the squirrel at Aidan's house in Suffern (heh) -- she shrieks and drops the pie she just took out of the oven, burning her legs. I mean...I get that the squirrel had the element of surprise, but come on.

Edited by Jillybean
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

And then Carrie made her feel like shit when she did show up.

That ticked me off. Sam made it very clear she didn't want to go because of her chemical peel but Carrie badgered her until came. Rather then feeling grateful that her friend came out for her despite looking so terrible and not wanting to come or feeling guilty because she did look terrible maybe Carrie didn't think it would look so bad. Nope, Carrie makes fun of her and makes her feel like shit for showing up. Yeah, what a great friend. That scene is just one of many that make me really hate Carrie and frustrated how she's crappy and for no real reason.  She didn't have to badger Samantha until she came out, when she got there she could have apologized and sent her home. Nope, she make her feel like shit. Why? Its not funny, its not cute. Its just one of so many scenes we get of Carrie being terrible for no reason and no one's allowed to say anything. Charlotte's birthday is another one where she cockblocks Charlotte, why? Well, cause Carrie isn't having fun and ready to leave. She drags Charlotte and the rest to AC because Carrie wanted to go. But then when Charlotte finally starts having fun and meets a guy, Carrie shuts it down. Of course she did someone other then her was getting attention from a guy, that can't happen. And of course Charlotte can't be the hot one, nope it has to be SJP. The writers and SJP do. Cause SJP apparently can't handle anyone calling her character ugly, terrible or not hot, but its okay for the other characters. Apparently she can't handle anyone thinking Sam, Miranda or Charlotte are hot. And again there's no reason for it. It was Charlotte's birthday, Carrie could have been happy for her and went off gamble some more or drink while Charlotte had fun. But no, Carrie can't do that. 

And yes the shrieking! Its not funny! Its not cute! Its annoying.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie ends the episode saying she's lonely too.  That struck me, because in my head she just got out of a relationship with Aidan, but in the show's point of view, God forbid Carrie show up to her own book release party alone because people will talk.  It's pretty old fashioned.

I have never been more lonely than when I was in a relationship with a guy who wasn't emotionally available.

Carrie had great friends. Her being lonely because she didn't have a man perpetuates the thought that women need men to be complete. 

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That ticked me off.

Charlotte's Birthday

Charlotte wants to have a few drinks.
Carrie BLOCKS her.
Next scene:  Carrie DITCHES her.

Carrie's book party.

Carrie forces Sam to attend.
Sam attends.
Carrie tells Sam to go home.

How do the writers think we would enjoy this?

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I always thought the shriek was so unnatural. What about when she sees the squirrel at Aidan's house in Suffern (heh) -- she shrieks and drops the pie she just took out of the oven, burning her legs. I mean...I get that the squirrel had the element of surprise, but come on.

That scene annoys me every time i see it.  She acted as if she had never seen a squirrel before in her life!

• Love 5
(edited)

We finally get some validation in the episode "Critical condition".

Carrie obsesses over "The Nina Katz Face" while her friends are actually going through real shit.  Miranda is losing her mind because Brady won't stop screaming, Charlotte is going through her divorce, Stamford is dating Marcus, and Sam is being Sam.

Throughout the whole episode, Miranda, Sam, and Stamford all yell at Carrie to shut up and stop being so self-involved.  LOL it's the best.

Carrie is carrying a blue Birkin these days.  I guess her little job at Vogue and her book deal gave her enough money to buy a $40,000+ bag?

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 11.54.32 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

We finally get some validation in the episode "Critical condition".

Carrie obsesses over "The Nina Katz Face" while her friends are actually going through real shit.  Miranda is losing her mind because Brady won't stop screaming, Charlotte is going through her divorce, Stamford is dating Marcus, and Sam is being Sam.

Throughout the whole episode, Miranda, Sam, and Stamford all yell at Carrie to shut up and stop being so self-involved.  LOL it's the best.

Carrie is carrying a blue Birkin these days.  I guess her little job at Vogue and her book deal gave her enough money to buy a $40,000+ bag?

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 11.54.32 PM.png

She had a crocodile one too in the popsicles at Sam’s chemo episode.

I know NYC is the beloved 4th character but it bugged that they never seemed to enjoy visiting other places. Except for the Hamptons maybe. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, LemonSoda said:

She had a crocodile one too in the popsicles at Sam’s chemo episode.

I know NYC is the beloved 4th character but it bugged that they never seemed to enjoy visiting other places. Except for the Hamptons maybe. 

They did LA in Season 3.

Westchester (?) or some suburb in Season 1 for Lainie.  LOL.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They did LA in Season 3.

Westchester (?) or some suburb in Season 1 for Lainie.  LOL.

I’m due for a rewatch marathon. I remember them disliking LA.

They didn’t seem to enjoy suburbia visiting Lainie, Atlantic City, and they were embarrassing in the UAE. 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

I’m due for a rewatch marathon. I remember them disliking LA.

They didn’t seem to enjoy suburbia visiting Lainie, Atlantic City, and they were embarrassing in the UAE. 

They really don't in the later part of the series and second movie. The weird part is there was that episode in the early part of the series that had a guy who never wanted to leave NYC anymore and they thought he was crazy. Then they end up becoming that guy. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

They really don't in the later part of the series and second movie. The weird part is there was that episode in the early part of the series that had a guy who never wanted to leave NYC anymore and they thought he was crazy. Then they end up becoming that guy. 

On some levels I get it. When you get out of the city for a while it’s kind of jarring. You get so used to the fast pace of everything the rest of the world seems off. But the superiority, making fun of other places seemed senseless. 

I left out Paris because it’s very difficult to make friends there. Where Carrie messed up was she had an “in” with the fans who loved her book. I know that was all plot to get her in to Big’s arms and back to NYC. But she could’ve had an amazing experience there on her own, on her own terms. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

On some levels I get it. When you get out of the city for a while it’s kind of jarring. You get so used to the fast pace of everything the rest of the world seems off. But the superiority, making fun of other places seemed senseless. 

I left out Paris because it’s very difficult to make friends there. Where Carrie messed up was she had an “in” with the fans who loved her book. I know that was all plot to get her in to Big’s arms and back to NYC.

That's fine I'm kind of annoyed by Carrie in Paris. She doesn't really do anything to go out and meet friends. She doesn't hit the clubs or bars and try to meet people. She doesn't try to find another job. Write a blog about American New Yorker in Paris. Plus after one week she claims she saw everything to see in Paris. As someone who's dreamed of going to Paris and have a long list of places I'd love to go I'm pretty sure it would take me at least six months to see everything on my list  plus any place I hear about while in Paris. Then of course comes all the other cities in France to visit. It would probably take a few years for me to see everything. There's just so much to see and do.  

But she could’ve had an amazing experience there on her own, on her own terms. 

She really could have! Even if it didn't work out she could have still had a lot of fun, a great experience and memories. She just wastes it. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That's fine I'm kind of annoyed by Carrie in Paris. She doesn't really do anything to go out and meet friends. She doesn't hit the clubs or bars and try to meet people. She doesn't try to find another job. Write a blog about American New Yorker in Paris. Plus after one week she claims she saw everything to see in Paris. As someone who's dreamed of going to Paris and have a long list of places I'd love to go I'm pretty sure it would take me at least six months to see everything on my list  plus any place I hear about while in Paris. Then of course comes all the other cities in France to visit. It would probably take a few years for me to see everything. There's just so much to see and do.  

She really could have! Even if it didn't work out she could have still had a lot of fun, a great experience and memories. She just wastes it. 

Agreed! I’ve been multiple times and still haven’t seen and experienced everything. I have friends there who have been for years and still haven’t done it all. I remember joking when the episode first aired that by everything she meant Dior lol 

It’s a hard place to make friends but again she had so many options, opportunities to create an amazing experience for herself on her own terms. I’m awful at explaining my thoughts. I guess I feel like a lot of experiences, opportunities over the course of the series were wasted. 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

Agreed! I’ve been multiple times and still haven’t seen and experienced everything. I have friends there who have been for years and still haven’t done it all. I remember joking when the episode first aired that by everything she meant Dior lol 

It’s a hard place to make friends but again she had so many options, opportunities to create an amazing experience for herself on her own terms. I’m awful at explaining my thoughts. I guess I feel like a lot of experiences, opportunities over the course of the series were wasted. 

No, your doing a great job explaining your thoughts. There were a lot of experiences and opportunities wasted on the show. Carrie in Paris is one of them. We could have seen her going out exploring Paris, hitting the clubs and trying to make friends. She had decided to move there at all. But we didn't get that. Carrie's writing for Vogue and the book I really wish we had gotten see Carrie doing more with her writing career. Writers are constantly sending stuff to different magazines and to see her decide on her own to write a book. And really right one not have one fall into her lap and basically her columns in book form. Although Big actually read the book and made a connection to how he treated Carrie but of course at the time she didn't care and just wanted sex. I'd rather have seen the two talk about that instead. Seeing Charlotte get back into the art world or finding something new to do. Or if they kept Steve as the bartender who read great literature. That would have been an interesting dynamic to see.

• Love 4

I actually enjoyed the Nina Katz episode. Firstly It’s the bullshit bagels where Miranda - who I felt was often the only one to get genuinely mad at Carrie and get through to her - calls Carrie out on being a self involved asshole. 

Secondly, I didn’t like Nina Katz and could kind of see Carries point. There’s nothing worse than when someone who has no idea about your past relationship, forms a strong opinion based on one persons side and judges you for it.  

overall I just liked that it wasn’t an episode where I totally hated Carrie but also that all the characters called her out on being a pain in the arse.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

No, your doing a great job explaining your thoughts. There were a lot of experiences and opportunities wasted on the show. Carrie in Paris is one of them. We could have seen her going out exploring Paris, hitting the clubs and trying to make friends. She had decided to move there at all. But we didn't get that. Carrie's writing for Vogue and the book I really wish we had gotten see Carrie doing more with her writing career. Writers are constantly sending stuff to different magazines and to see her decide on her own to write a book. And really right one not have one fall into her lap and basically her columns in book form. Although Big actually read the book and made a connection to how he treated Carrie but of course at the time she didn't care and just wanted sex. I'd rather have seen the two talk about that instead. Seeing Charlotte get back into the art world or finding something new to do. Or if they kept Steve as the bartender who read great literature. That would have been an interesting dynamic to see.

I feel like for being educated women who are in to all the hip new things, no opportunities were taken. Their travels seemed wasted. So many situations like careers as you mentioned were never explored. That would’ve been so interesting. 

2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I actually enjoyed the Nina Katz episode. Firstly It’s the bullshit bagels where Miranda - who I felt was often the only one to get genuinely mad at Carrie and get through to her - calls Carrie out on being a self involved asshole. 

Secondly, I didn’t like Nina Katz and could kind of see Carries point. There’s nothing worse than when someone who has no idea about your past relationship, forms a strong opinion based on one persons side and judges you for it.  

overall I just liked that it wasn’t an episode where I totally hated Carrie but also that all the characters called her out on being a pain in the arse.

I LOVE this episode for all the reasons you stated. It also made me wonder if Carrie would’ve behaved like Nina if the situation was reversed. She could be very petty too so it seemed kind of karmic. Like Natasha’s spelling error and Carrie saying something along the lines of her being an idiot and no wonder she got married. 

• Love 3

I don’t know, I’m Defo not Carries greatest fan but I didn’t think she was confrontational. Especially in the same confident, judgy way Nina was. Carrie was a lot sweeter to people she didn’t know that well and seemed to reserve her judgier side for those closest to her ie Sam over the Bj, Charlotte over the money. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I don’t know, I’m Defo not Carries greatest fan but I didn’t think she was confrontational. Especially in the same confident, judgy way Nina was. Carrie was a lot sweeter to people she didn’t know that well and seemed to reserve her judgier side for those closest to her ie Sam over the Bj, Charlotte over the money. 

Well some people hurt the ones closest to them the most.  Also Carrie was someone who wanted to be liked. She felt it necessary to track Nina Katz down to explain her side of the story. She also tracked Natasha down to say what she wanted to say. Never mind that neither Nina nor Natasha gave a fuck about what Carrie had to say. 

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If we're including the movies, the SATC women also went to Mexico 🙂

Where Charlotte ate nothing but packaged pudding in an upscale resort because it’s Mexico. 🙄

• Love 6
(edited)

You know Charlotte was probably thinking "Bitch, where is my money?" Of course, she was too polite it to say, but you know she was thinking it.

With regards to Carrie in Paris...good lord, what waste of a lovely city on an completely undeserving person. I get it, it's not the easiest city to make friends in, but you get the feeling she didn't even try. Yes, social media wasn't a thing then, and yes, she doesn't speak the local language, but there was so much she could have done to meet new people had she tried and put in just 5 minutes of effort. Take French classes. Search online for English-speaking social groups of expats. See if if there any periodicals that publish in English and see if you can get a job there, even if part time. Contact the US embassy and see if there are events planned that she could maybe attend, or if they can point her to any English speaking expat groups. Or even contact other English speaking embassies like the British, Canadian, or Australian ones and ask the same of them. Those were all ways Carrie could have met people and made some connection in Paris, but I guess Princess can't be bothered to ever put in any effort into anything.

But no Carrie, was so far her up her own ass at that point that she expected the fabulous crowd to automatically seek her out anytime she stepped into a cafe or brasserie. No wonder she loved the people who were going to throw her a book party, they were her favorite type of people, the kind with their lips firmly planted on her ass.

Don't even get me started on her chasing down Natasha in the restaurant; Carrie is lucky that all Natasha did was dress her down verbally.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

But no Carrie, was so far her up her own ass at that point that she expected the fabulous crowd to automatically seek her out anytime she stepped into a cafe or brasserie. No wonder she loved the people who were going to throw her a book party, they were her favorite type of people, the kind with their lips firmly planted on her ass.

For someone who was a writer Carrie sure didn't take the initiative when it came to writing.  Before she left for Paris she said her newspaper didn't like the idea of her writing her column from Paris which is completely understandable. So what exactly did Carrie think she was going to be doing in Paris? I often wondered what Carrie would have done for a career if she hadn't been offered the Star column.  She didn't seem to want to write anything but that. Even the first book that was published was just a compilation of her columns.   I know in the second movie she had written a book (s?) but that took her how many years to do that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Before she left for Paris she said her newspaper didn't like the idea of her writing her column from Paris which is completely understandable.

She could have tried shopping that idea to other newspapers, if she had any initiative.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

So what exactly did Carrie think she was going to be doing in Paris?

Miranda asked Carrie that exact question, and wasn't her answer something like "I don't know!  I thought you were my friend and you'd support me!"  It REALLY bugged me that Carrie saw that as "judgy".  I saw it as a legitimate question, and something Carrie herself should have thought of before going.  She and Aleks weren't married, he had no obligation to support her financially.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

Carrie obviously moved to New York and was able to build a life and make friends there.  I wish she had the same attitude in Paris.  Of course, there's the language barrier.

I talk a lot of shit about Carrie, but I'm TOTALLY Team Carrie when it comes to DECIDING to go to Paris.  That's 100% her business and Miranda was being an asshole (my opinion).  Carrie was right, everyone had moved on and Miranda moved to Brooklyn, so why couldn't she?  It's not like Miranda asked Carrie for permission before doing that.

But then when Carrie went there she acted like a gigantic idiot and she just couldn't hack it, which, fine.  It was also all writer contrivance to make Carrie and Aleks not work out, obviously.  She was loving the life with Aleks when it was New York-based.

I definitely don't think Carrie was planning on making a regular salary in Paris, definitely not at first.  Miranda was pretty judgemental and it's fine if Carrie wanted to accept Aleks' invitation and I think he made it clear he was footing the bill.  He refused to live in NYC any further and he invited her to come along.  It was kind of an ultimatum.  If Carrie wanted Aleks she was forced to go to Paris, but she also wanted to go.  Charlotte wanted to stop working when she was married to Trey also, and Miranda judged the hell out of her for that too.  I didn't.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Carrie obviously moved to New York

Assuming The Carrie Diaries is cannon, wasn't Carrie from a suburb of NYC? Granted, in Connecticut, but still.

• Love 2
Just now, Hiyo said:

Assuming The Carrie Diaries is cannon, wasn't Carrie from a suburb of NYC? Granted, in Connecticut, but still.

Yes. But somewhere, I think season 2? The Candace Bushnell alter ego Carrie Bradshaw became the SJP/MPK Carrie Bradshaw. Candace Bushnell’s CB not only wrote a column but did other writing, covered events as well. SJP/MPK created their own CB. They seemed to have dumbed her down a bit, added quirks that were more annoying than cute. 

Going to Paris? Yes! But she seemed to have too much ego and entitlement, expecting everything to come to her. With some effort she could’ve really made things work, created a nice financial and social nest for herself. 

I thought Miranda was judgy in that “We’re all going to have to clean up the mess when she comes back from Paris broke and an emotional mess” type of way. Or maybe I read too much in to it. 

• Love 4

I think Miranda’s judginess came from the fact that she just didn’t like Aleks, could see through him and knew that he was too caught up in himself to really care and commit to Carrie. Much like she didn’t like Big but they conveniently glossed over that in the finale because they needed to wrap things up. 

Miranda being judgemental was one of her defining characteristics. I think she had softened in her approach by the finale that she was *mostly coming from a good place. Carrie wasn’t going to Paris for the right reasons, if she was she would have made some effort to make it work and think of her future over there. I think Carrie knew she was right hence she didn’t want to hear it and it turned into a row.

*I say mostly because I do think Carrie was right when she called Miranda out on not wanting change and Carrie staying in New York facilitated that. 

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's 100% her business and Miranda was being an asshole (my opinion)

I just don't get why asking "what are you going to do when you get there?" is a judgy question.  And I'm definitely not arguing with you, your personal feelings about something isn't wrong.  To me, Carrie was being impulsive and in my opinion, was quite immature with the thought process that things would fall in her lap once she got there.  It's fascinating to me that the finale basically showed how the characters have grown over the seasons, yet Carrie, the main character, actually regressed, if anything.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I just don't get why asking "what are you going to do when you get there?" is a judgy question.  And I'm definitely not arguing with you, your personal feelings about something isn't wrong.  To me, Carrie was being impulsive and in my opinion, was quite immature with the thought process that things would fall in her lap once she got there.  It's fascinating to me that the finale basically showed how the characters have grown over the seasons, yet Carrie, the main character, actually regressed, if anything.

Miranda was making it all about her though.  Crying, saying "What are you going to do, eat croissant?" is definitely sarcastic and bitter.  I get that she was terrified of losing her BFF, but instead of expressing that, she just expressed a lot of judgement (IMO).  Also, she admitted that she didn't like Aleks.  Which is fine, but as Carrie said, Miranda never has to deal with him and doesn't really need to like him.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also, she admitted that she didn't like Aleks. 

I didn't either LOL.  BUT...when they all had dinner with him, I thought they all acted like assholes, so I don't really blame him for not liking them either.

5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Crying, saying "What are you going to do, eat croissant?" is definitely sarcastic and bitter.

True, that was a snotty thing to say, and maybe she could have said it better, but the message, IMO, was still correct.  Unless you're independently wealthy, I think running away to another country with your boyfriend with no plan was pretty immature for someone Carrie's age.

43 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

I thought Miranda was judgy in that “We’re all going to have to clean up the mess when she comes back from Paris broke and an emotional mess” type of way. Or maybe I read too much in to it.

LOL...and if it weren't for Big, this is exactly what would have happened 🙂 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

People do it all the time.  My parents got married in my mom's home country and my father brought her to his country to raise me.  She's fine. 40 year marriage and counting. I don't find it an immature plan.  And my mother was 10 years younger than Carrie was at the time.  And she had the language barrier also (along with cultural, religious, blah blah.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Millions of people do it all the time.  My parents got married in my mom's home country and they came here and raised me.  She's fine. 40 year marriage and counting. I don't find it an immature plan.  And my mother was 10 years younger than Carrie was at the time.

I found it extremely immature for someone pushing 40 who barely had 2 nickels to rub together. This is one thing I will never take Carrie's side on, and it actually turned out that Miranda was right and things did not work out for her the way she naively expected it to.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I think Miranda’s judginess came from the fact that she just didn’t like Aleks, could see through him and knew that he was too caught up in himself to really care and commit to Carrie. Much like she didn’t like Big but they conveniently glossed over that in the finale because they needed to wrap things up. 

Miranda being judgemental was one of her defining characteristics. I think she had softened in her approach by the finale that she was *mostly coming from a good place. Carrie wasn’t going to Paris for the right reasons, if she was she would have made some effort to make it work and think of her future over there. I think Carrie knew she was right hence she didn’t want to hear it and it turned into a row.

*I say mostly because I do think Carrie was right when she called Miranda out on not wanting change and Carrie staying in New York facilitated that. 

10 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I don't either. Yeah Carrie's free to make any decision she wants. But this is Carrie who makes bad decisions all the time and this is another bad decision. I'd rather have Miranda at least try to talk some sense into her even though its not going to work. Carrie doesn't really know Alek very well, they hadn't dated that long, their not in love, and she's making a decision to quit her job and up and move to another country. Plus Carrie hasn't been all that great with Aleks. She got annoyed at all the "romance" stuff, she got annoyed when he said he was done and didn't want to have kids, and got mad at him when he tried to explain his experience with his friend who had cancer. Not to completely blame Carrie but the two were very different. Alek seems serious most of the time and doesn't really get Carrie. There were just all these signs that they weren't going to work out.

• Love 6
(edited)

Most writers don't have a lot of money, and they write to earn their money.  So Carrie eventually wrote, as we found out.  If a writer or anyone else who has a trade or skill that makes them money wants to move to another country, I say go ahead and do it.  I'm not even sure why maturity factors in.  It's more about whether you have the personality to take risks and rely on yourself.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

"Oh well, my newspaper doesn't like the "American Girl in Paris" story, so I don't know what I'm gong to do, leave me alone and stop badgering me!!!"  That, to me, sounded like a little kid having a tantrum because her friends didn't fawn over her and tell her how perfect she is, she was being challenged and had no answer and couldn't handle it.  That's what maturity has to do with it IMO.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Most writers don't have a lot of money, and they write to earn their money.  So Carrie eventually wrote, as we found out.  If a writer or anyone else who has a trade or skill that makes them money wants to move to another country, I say go ahead and do it.  I'm not even sure why maturity factors in.

It would have been nice if we saw that in Paris. See her hitting up newspapers and magazines in Paris, checking other American newspapers and magazines that might be interested in an American NY in Paris articles or fashion or something. Start a blog. She just quits and then doesn't do anything in Paris. That might have been interesting, show Carrie really starting a new life in Paris or trying, lead to her making friends or covering places that might have led to her making friends. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Wasn't that all over the course of a few days?  Maybe two weeks at most?  I agree, it would have been nice.  I agree that Carrie should have done more with her time.  But if I just quit my job and moved to a new city (and someone else was footing the bill) I'd for sure take advantage of taking some time off work and exploring it.  But we didn't really get to see Carrie do much of either.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Carrie doesn't really know Alek very well, they hadn't dated that long, their not in love, and she's making a decision to quit her job and up and move to another country.

Exactly.  It was the show's lame way of showing that Carrie did this because she never got Big out of her system.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4