Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Aidan was kind of crazy to buy that apartment.  It's like the thought didn't even enter his brain that Carrie didn't want to be with him forever.  And Carrie was kind of crazy to let him.

I think Aidan (like Carrie did sometimes), believed what he wanted to believe. He didn’t own and they were always spending their time at Carrie’s. He assumed if he bought the apartment and they moved in together, Carrie would commit to him and be grateful to him for saving her beloved apartment. 

Carrie just didn’t want to have to face the hard truth that her spending had consequences, she was happy to let Aidan save the day. 

• Love 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Aidan (like Carrie did sometimes), believed what he wanted to believe. He didn’t own and they were always spending their time at Carrie’s. He assumed if he bought the apartment and they moved in together, Carrie would commit to him and be grateful to him for saving her beloved apartment.

I'd be curious about Aidan's place.  I'm sure it was amazing.  He was a furniture designer and he owned his own store and had a lot of money.  If anything it would make sense for Aidan to ask her to move in.

When you add in his country house Aidan had at least 3 pieces of property.  Maybe he lived behind or above his store or something.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'd be curious about Aidan's place.  I'm sure it was amazing.  He was a furniture designer and he owned his own store and had a lot of money.  If anything it would make sense for Aidan to ask her to move in.

When you add in his country house Aidan had at least 3 pieces of property.  Maybe he lived behind or above his store or something.

I think Aidan probably lived in the same place for a while so I could see it being small. His place wasn’t likely that great- he seemed like the type of guy that wouldn’t be into decorating until he had a wife. All of his creative energy went into his stuff for work, and his country home was a project. 

• Love 3
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I think Aidan probably lived in the same place for a while so I could see it being small. His place wasn’t likely that great- he seemed like the type of guy that wouldn’t be into decorating until he had a wife. All of his creative energy went into his stuff for work, and his country home was a project. 

If anything, the longer ago you buy real estate in New York, the bigger it would be I think.  I bet his place was good and it's silly that they never showed it.  We saw Big's place so many times. Even dumb old Steve's.

• Love 4

With regards to Aidan's finances, he must have been doing well for himself. He owned his own business, he had a home in the city and a home in the country, plus he could afford to invest in Steve's bar and buy Carrie's apartment and the one right next to it (at the very least, unlike Carrie, he was doing well enough to get bank loans for some of the stuff). So while he didn't have Big or Richard money (or even Trey family money) he was definitely on the more affluent side, he just didn't show it off much.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

With regards to Aidan's finances, he must have been doing well for himself. He owned his own business, he had a home in the city and a home in the country, plus he could afford to invest in Steve's bar and buy Carrie's apartment and the one right next to it (at the very least, unlike Carrie, he was doing well enough to get bank loans for some of the stuff). So while he didn't have Big or Richard money (or even Trey family money) he was definitely on the more affluent side, he just didn't show it off much.

Honestly, I prefer that. Men who are super flashy with what they have are oftentimes superficial or trying to overcompensate for something. I thought Aiden was such a catch. Kind, good-looking, successful. I am not a country girl, but otherwise I'd love a man like Aiden. I get that Big was incredibly charming and charismatic, but he's the kinda guy you'd have fun with short term imo. 

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Do you guys think Charlotte would feel any attraction toward Aiden? He was very different from her two husbands, but he did have "looks, money, manners."

It's a very interesting question, what characters on the show would be compatible with each other.  Samantha and Robert?  Hmmmmmm.  Harry and Miranda, both lawyers?  Miranda should have got to date that Yankee instead of Carrie who practically barfed when he tried to kiss her.  Samantha should have at least gotten a date with one of the players.  Charlotte worked with artists all her life, imagine CHARLOTTE dating Petrovsky?  She was adorably starstruck.   Miranda and Berger?  Berger was neurotic, Miranda was jaded.  She got along with him.

I can't really see anyone else with Trey or Smith.  Or OBVIOUSLY Richard.  And you guys know how I feel about Steve.  I don't want to even think about it.  LOL

This time in my rewatch I notice Aidan and Miranda's sneaky friendship.  It's really sweet.  Aidan cares for her.  Aidan has to pick her up when she's naked (LOL) and he asks Miranda to help pick out Carrie's engagement ring.  Aidan really cares for both Miranda and Steve.  If anything he makes a good case for Brady's godfather.

Sam was attracted to Big in the pilot for sure.  Charlotte had rosy coloured glasses for him.  Miranda didn't care for him at all.

Has anyone else ever heard the rumour that Kristin Davis and Chris Noth dated?

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 7.30.14 AM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

I always thought Miranda/Aidan would have been a good couple if they had met first.

Aidan with Miranda, Carrie with Steve.  What a world I am imagining 😄

Samantha was really into Petrovsky too.  They probably had a lot in common and were closer in age.  Oh, wait it was Enid who was hitting on him aggressively.  LOL.  I think Sam just admired him and thought Smith was being immature.  But still.

Samantha and Robert would be my dream alternate reality.  Charlotte and Big would be a very good looking couple which basically already happened with Big and Natasha.  Natasha could go live with Trey.  The actors who played Natasha and Smith are the exact same age.

Charlotte and Smith would be like when Charlotte dated Wylie Ford (Brian van Holt).  So Smith could potentially be her type.   Carrie and Smith would be like Timothy Olyphant or Comic Book Guy.  Smith would still be a struggling actor if not for Samantha.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 7/23/2021 at 5:22 PM, Scarlett45 said:

The stereotype is that men do that- have a woman they know loves them, and they are not mean or cruel to them, and they do enjoy them, but they know they don't want to be with them long term, and just keep them around as long as possible to meet their emotional and sexual needs. Women do it too, Carrie did it with Aidan.

Until the final episode isn’t that how Big saw Carrie?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Until the final episode isn’t that how Big saw Carrie?

Yup. 

I too could see Miranda and Aidan together. Aidan was the type of guy who knew how to adult and was quite affluent but not into “flash”. He would’ve respected Miranda’s career (although it was nothing like his) and she would’ve respected his business sense. 

I think Smith and Carrie could’ve worked, although she wouldn’t have made him a star. I actually think Charlotte and Robert would’ve made a sweet couple of Robert was interested in settling down. I think Steve and Carrie would’ve worked out too- not long term but better than she and Berger. 

• Love 4

I think that of all of the couples, I was most happy that Charlotte and Harry got married.  He wasn't what she was looking for, but he turned out to be the perfect match for her.  There were a few bumps along the way (him walking around naked in their home), but their love for each other was really nice to see.   They seemed to have great chemistry on-screen.  I hope that was the case off-screen too!  It's hard for me to picture any of them with someone else!

Going back to Carrie making Charlotte feel bad about not offering to lend her the money for her apartment, well, I think Carrie was really rude and hurtful in how she handled it.  I can understand her feeling hurt that out of 3 of her friends, two of them offered to help and one didn't, but she shouldn't have taken her frustration out on Charlotte.  She had her reasons not to mix business and friendship, and Carrie should've respected that and said nothing.  Yeah, be hurt, but also be a grown-up and don't guilt one of your best friends into helping you.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I actually think Charlotte and Robert would’ve made a sweet couple of Robert was interested in settling down. I think Steve and Carrie would’ve worked out too- not long term but better than she and Berger. 

I didn't think of that.  Charlotte loves doctors, and Robert likes kids.  Robert could even help her with her fertility issue.  Although the closest that Charlotte ever showed attraction to someone non-white was the Hasidic Jewish artist. 

I agree, I think Steve and Carrie could have worked longer and I think Miranda and Berger could have worked longer.  Carrie was too flashy and show-offy for Berger and too sensitive for him. I UNDERSTOOD her sensitivity, but when both partners are too sensitive, it doesn't work.  Miranda doesn't take things as personally.  When Berger said "He's just not that into you" Carrie was horrified but Miranda took it better than anyone could dream.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Carrie is an immature manipulating narcissist, which explains most of her behavior. Probably doesn’t help that I’ve never liked SJP in anything.

The other actresses found ways to enhance the shitty writing by investing in their characters and finding layers to develop over the years, so that’s why I’m rewatching (also hadn’t bothered with a couple of seasons originally). I find myself liking them more, and Carrie less, if that’s possible.

The low point of the series for me was turning Mikhail Baryshnikov’s character into a “bad guy” to justify Big and Carrie🤮The movies explain why Kim Cantrell could pass up the next one. Me, too!

• Love 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's a very interesting question, what characters on the show would be compatible with each other.  Samantha and Robert?  Hmmmmmm.  Harry and Miranda, both lawyers?  Miranda should have got to date that Yankee instead of Carrie who practically barfed when he tried to kiss her.  Samantha should have at least gotten a date with one of the players.  Charlotte worked with artists all her life, imagine CHARLOTTE dating Petrovsky?  She was adorably starstruck.   Miranda and Berger?  Berger was neurotic, Miranda was jaded.  She got along with him.

I can't really see anyone else with Trey or Smith.  Or OBVIOUSLY Richard.  And you guys know how I feel about Steve.  I don't want to even think about it.  LOL

This time in my rewatch I notice Aidan and Miranda's sneaky friendship.  It's really sweet.  Aidan cares for her.  Aidan has to pick her up when she's naked (LOL) and he asks Miranda to help pick out Carrie's engagement ring.  Aidan really cares for both Miranda and Steve.  If anything he makes a good case for Brady's godfather.

Sam was attracted to Big in the pilot for sure.  Charlotte had rosy coloured glasses for him.  Miranda didn't care for him at all.

Has anyone else ever heard the rumour that Kristin Davis and Chris Noth dated?

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 7.30.14 AM.png

Samantha would definitely have had a good time with Robert. lol I also think Robert and Charlotte together would have been great. I know we never saw her date black men, but I don't she'd have any qualms. Carrie's the one I can't picture interracially dating tbh. 

Harry and Miranda would have been interesting duo both being lawyers. 

I love the idea of Charlotte dating Petrovsky! Good point about the art connection. He also had an elegance about him that suited Charlotte. 

I don't know about Miranda and Berger. IDK if he could handle her bluntness as a sensitive guy. I do get where you're coming from about only one person in a couple being sensitive though. 

I agree about Richard. I can't picture any of the others with him, no more than maybe one date. Ditto Trey. I can see the other women giving Trey and chance then being like WTF NO! 

I think see the other women maybe finding Smith out of their league. The writers wrote Miranda to lack confidence even when others were out of HER league. So I'm sure she wouldn't buy this younger pretty boy would be into her, even if he were. I see Charlotte as the kinda gal who likes men good-looking but that she'd want to be the pretty one. She'd have to share attention with him. I can't picture Carrie with Smith either. I see her with older, more affluent types, not the young hottie. 

I can't really picture Aiden and Miranda together for some reason. Maybe it's because Miranda is so different from Carrie and his real life partner. I just picture him with petite women who have more of a softness to their personalities. 

I remember Samantha describing Big as a younger, better looking Bill Gates. 

I never heard that! They would have made a nice looking couple. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I remember Samantha describing Big as a younger, better looking Bill Gates. 

It wasn't Bill Gates.  It was somebody else.  Look up the pilot transcript, I don't want to break any rules.

I love the idea of Charlotte dating Petrovsky! Good point about the art connection. He also had an elegance about him that suited Charlotte. 

A pattern I hated about the show was that one of the women would be fascinated or starstruck by someone, and yet that man would totally ignore the woman, and be only interested in Carrie.

Sam - fascinated by Big - Big turns her down.

Miranda - obsessed with baseball and the New Yankee.  Drags the women to baseball, nobody else cares about baseball, Carrie just wants to smoke.  Miranda speaks to the new Yankee and fawns all over him and says she's a huge fan.  Carrie says she doesn't care about baseball.  Of course the Yankee likes Carrie.

Charlotte - absolutely starstruck by Petrovsky, respects him and admries him as an artist, fawns over him.  Carrie disrespects art and says that she doesn't care.  Petrovsky likes Carrie.

• Love 9

Samantha would definitely have had a good time with Robert. lol I also think Robert and Charlotte together would have been great. I know we never saw her date black men, but I don't she'd have any qualms. Carrie's the one I can't picture interracially dating tbh. 

Charlotte constantly declared herself to be a WASP, she was very proud of it, and she wouldn't date uncircumcised men even though the show claimed 85% of the world's men are uncircumcised.  She seems pretty narrow minded to me.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It wasn't Bill Gates.  It was somebody else.  Look up the pilot transcript, I don't want to break any rules.

A pattern I hated about the show was that one of the women would be fascinated or starstruck by someone, and yet that man would totally ignore the woman, and be only interested in Carrie.

Sam - fascinated by Big - Big turns her down.

Miranda - obsessed with baseball and the New Yankee.  Drags the women to baseball, nobody else cares about baseball, Carrie just wants to smoke.  Miranda speaks to the new Yankee and fawns all over him and says she's a huge fan.  Carrie says she doesn't care about baseball.  Of course the Yankee likes Carrie.

Charlotte - absolutely starstruck by Petrovsky, respects him and admries him as an artist, fawns over him.  Carrie disrespects art and says that she doesn't care.  Petrovsky likes Carrie.

That's right! I know who you're referring to. I think Bill Gates was on my mind due to a discussion I had with someone about Covid. lol

Yes, wasn't there an episode where a guy literally puts down Charlotte and hits on Carrie?

The writers definitely wanted us to think Carrie was the most irresistible of the girls, but there is an element of reality to this too. A lot of the time people are much more drawn to those who don't fawn all over them. Both men and women do like a challenge. While I never get the person who wants someone who doesn't want them, I've even been turned off by guys who are super into me right off the bat. I just think they're full of it and player types. I don't know about you all, but in my experience very forward men aren't normally the best quality. They're just trying to get laid. Maybe that's left a bad taste in my mouth. Athletes and artists who get a lot of fan girls might find it refreshing if someone isn't impressed by them. 

4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Charlotte constantly declared herself to be a WASP, she was very proud of it, and she wouldn't date uncircumcised men even though the show claimed 85% of the world's men are uncircumcised.  She seems pretty narrow minded to me.

Charlotte could be very rigid, but she did become a Jew; she adopted a child of color. I am a fan of hers so maybe it's harder for me to see her as so racist that she'd turn down a total catch like Robert. (I do see her as more classist though.) Kristin Davis could also be affecting my perception. She said she wished she had scenes with Blair, and she adopted two black children. I've also seen her tear up over racism in interviews. I get where you're coming from, and I've read a lot of people say Charlotte would be a conservative and traditional in all regards, but I still don't know that she would. I get that Kristin is very different from Charlotte in many ways. It's tricky with a fictional character. Charlotte also reminds me of myself and others who might be picky or prissy but are totally down to date any color, especially a handsome doctor. 

I'm not saying Carrie was racist, but I can see her just not being attracted to anything other than white guys.  You have a much better memory with the show than I do, so correct me if I'm wrong. She dated tons of men. Some were cuter than others. Some were younger than others. Some were more affluent than others. But the one thing they all had in common was being white.  I don't recall her dating someone with a different religion or having anyone of color she loved dearly in her life. The men she dated were all pretty vanilla too, no pun intended. I think she dated one guy who had a pierced tongue, but she didn't seem to like edge either. I don't recall any tatted up or unique looking white men. I just think of her taste in men as very Friends! lol 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Charlotte could be very rigid, but she did become a Jew; she adopted a child of color. I am a fan of hers so maybe it's harder for me to see her as so racist that she'd turn down a total catch like Robert. (I do see her as more classist though.) Kristin Davis could also be affecting my perception. She said she wished she had scenes with Blair, and she adopted two black children. I've also seen her tear up over racism in interviews. I get where you're coming from, and I've read a lot of people say Charlotte would be a conservative and traditional in all regards, but I still don't know that she would. I get that Kristin is very different from Charlotte in many ways. It's tricky with a fictional character. Charlotte also reminds me of myself and others who might be picky or prissy but are totally down to date any color, especially a handsome doctor. 

I understand what you’re saying about Charlotte. (Also Kristin Davis isn’t Charlotte- I agree) I do think Charlotte and Robert would’ve made a good match personality, but she wouldn’t necessarily have married him. Dating isn’t marriage.

But I think as the series progressed she realized what she wanted was a husband and children, and the package it came in wasn’t as important. 

Charlotte certainly would’ve been attracted and interested in Robert (I mean he’s gorgeous) but that is an entire different ball game than being his wife and raising black children, as a black woman I am not going to pretend that a woman in Charlotte’s position wouldn’t have thought about that. By the time she was married to Trey and they separated and got back together, and then decided to TTC- she just wanted a baby (or even a toddler) and was taking steps to learn another language if they were placed with an older child. That showed a lot of growth. 

After working so hard for her happy ending with Harry, I think Charlotte had different priorities at the start of season 6 than season 1.  

10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm not saying Carrie was racist, but I can see her just not being attracted to anything other than white guys.  You have a much better memory with the show than I do, so correct me if I'm wrong. She dated tons of men. Some were cuter than others. Some were younger than others. Some were more affluent than others. But the one thing they all had in common was being white. 

Well to be fair this show was SOOOO SOOO SOOO white for turn of the millennium NEW YORK CITY! We only had a few actors of color with speaking lines within all 6 seasons. I get 1998 was what it was (so the female leads being white didn’t surprise me), but we couldn’t have had any of the side characters (like Stanford, Anthony, Magda etc) be POC? We couldn’t have any of the parties for mutual friends be POC ? there was one black woman from Miranda’s firm at the baby shower, and her neighbor with the baby after Miranda has Brady. 

None of the girls were portrayed as being racist or bigoted, but they lived in pretty racially isolated worlds. The person that probably would’ve interacted most with POC would be Miranda with co-workers (and they would’ve been work friends at best) and Samantha through her PR network. Samantha likely would’ve had the most experience with men of different races just because she got with a LOT of men. But she wasn’t dating them, she was just sleeping with them, which would’ve been an optics problem too.

I am thinking of her interaction with DeShawn(?) in Season 3.  The actor was cute but I have problems with that storyline.

@Ms Blue Jay regarding Charlotte and the circumcision issue- I thought that was a good way of demonstrating how small her world view was.(I am not knocking her, many people tend to only live in their small social group, that doesnt make them mean or hateful people)

Yeah, 85% of men IN THE WORLD are not circumcised, but for men in the USA and Canada in Charlotte's age group (and one generation before), circumcision is the norm. Even in 2021, for most of the globe, if you are not Jewish or Muslim man, you are likely not circumcised. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think that Petrovsky had enough admirers and fans, so when he met somebody who didn't know who he was, he was intrigued.  He was also amused by Carrie and her attitude towards art - especially the performance art they were witnessing.  It was probably refreshing for him to meet someone who wasn't drooling all over him!!

• Love 4

I just think of her taste in men as very Friends! lol 

To be fair-Ross and Joey did date women of color.

Changing topic “Is it safe to by pot from strangers?” “they’re not strangers, they’re our new friends with pot!” 😆

• LOL 5
(edited)
21 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

To be fair-Ross and Joey did date women of color.

Yes, and Ross did from Season 1.  But @RealHousewife was talking about the CAST of "Friends".  Not who they dated.

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am thinking of her interaction with DeShawn(?) in Season 3.  The actor was cute but I have problems with that storyline.

Chivon?

I'm not saying Carrie was racist, but I can see her just not being attracted to anything other than white guys.  You have a much better memory with the show than I do, so correct me if I'm wrong. She dated tons of men. Some were cuter than others. Some were younger than others. Some were more affluent than others. But the one thing they all had in common was being white.  I don't recall her dating someone with a different religion or having anyone of color she loved dearly in her life. The men she dated were all pretty vanilla too, no pun intended. I think she dated one guy who had a pierced tongue, but she didn't seem to like edge either. I don't recall any tatted up or unique looking white men. I just think of her taste in men as very Friends! lol 

No, you're totally right, and your memory is correct, but this is the fault of the writers/casting/producers too, who had a very very narrow view of New York, race, and men.  It's funny that supposedly so many people in charge of SATC were gay, so they were openminded about sexuality (sort of) but god forbid they be openminded about race!  Both Charlotte and Carrie had gay best friends, but best friends who weren't white, heavens forfend!

At least Charlotte did convert to Judaism and I liked her learning how to speak Mandarin in Season 3 or 4.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Well to be fair this show was SOOOO SOOO SOOO white for turn of the millennium NEW YORK CITY! We only had a few actors of color with speaking lines within all 6 seasons. I get 1998 was what it was (so the female leads being white didn’t surprise me), but we couldn’t have had any of the side characters (like Stanford, Anthony, Magda etc) be POC? We couldn’t have any of the parties for mutual friends be POC ? there was one black woman from Miranda’s firm at the baby shower, and her neighbor with the baby after Miranda has Brady. 

None of the girls were portrayed as being racist or bigoted, but they lived in pretty racially isolated worlds. The person that probably would’ve interacted most with POC would be Miranda with co-workers (and they would’ve been work friends at best) and Samantha through her PR network. Samantha likely would’ve had the most experience with men of different races just because she got with a LOT of men. But she wasn’t dating them, she was just sleeping with them, which would’ve been an optics problem too.

It's so crazy. I could see the leads all being white. There were only four main characters and the show started so long ago. But it's definitely strange there wasn't more diversity with the supporting characters. SATC is old but not ancient. Shows that I watched earlier on in my childhood had more diversity than SATC. 

Yes, some of the writing was pretty cringe. 

1 hour ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

You can't say that name here? Lol

Nope, I think the only time you can mention a political figure is if the person was brought up on the show you're discussing. For example, we can mention the names of people in office if they're discussed on The View. Still rules as far as not getting into your own politics and such. 

• Love 3

It's so crazy. I could see the leads all being white. There were only four main characters and the show started so long ago. But it's definitely strange there wasn't more diversity with the supporting characters. SATC is old but not ancient. Shows that I watched earlier on in my childhood had more diversity than SATC. 

Yes, some of the writing was pretty cringe. 

Nope, I think the only time you can mention a political figure is if the person was brought up on the show you're discussing. For example, we can mention the names of people in office if they're discussed on The View. Still rules as far as not getting into your own politics and such. 

What a world...lol

(edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 9:31 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Well to be fair this show was SOOOO SOOO SOOO white for turn of the millennium NEW YORK CITY! We only had a few actors of color with speaking lines within all 6 seasons. I get 1998 was what it was (so the female leads being white didn’t surprise me), but we couldn’t have had any of the side characters (like Stanford, Anthony, Magda etc) be POC?

If they had made a supporting character a person of color some people would have accused the show of only having a person of color as part of the cast to say see we are diverse.  But they could have easily made Anthony a person of color. Maybe they just wanted to hire Mario Cantone.

While watching shows from an earlier time I do sometimes cringe at things I didn't cringe at when they first aired.   It is more noticeable to me now that SATC has very few people of color.  When Miranda's neighbor showed up to give her advice about Brady I thought oh we will see her more because she was played by Lisa Gay Hamilton who had been a regular on the Practice. But nope we never saw her again.  

To be honest the writers didn't handle a lot of things well. Anything concerning LGTBQ was always never quite right.  I never bought Samantha having a relationship with Maria.  And putting Stanford and Anthony together in the first movie smacked of not knowing what to do with two gay character so let's just hook them up.  Surprisingly Charlotte converting even after Harry broke it off with her was done well.   Other than Maria was there ever a Hispanic character?   Maria was Hispanic wasn't she?

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

To be honest the writers didn't handle a lot of things well. Anything concerning LGTBQ was always never quite right.  I never bought Samantha having a relationship with Maria.  And putting Stanford and Anthony together in the first movie smacked of not knowing what to do with two gay character so let's just hook them up.  Surprisingly Charlotte converting even after Harry broke it off with her was done well.   Other than Maria was there ever a Hispanic character?   Maria was Hispanic wasn't she?

Yeah I didnt think they handled anything that wasnt heteronormative with any nuisance at all. Charlotte was supportive of Samantha's relationship with Maria, because Charlotte being Charlotte, she is going to support Samantha having emotional intimacy with another person. But I kind of felt Maria was a plot device, the actress was good and she deserved better. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Sonia Braga is Brazilian in real life also.

I agree, it was hard to buy the plotline.  Moreso because Samantha almost never did domesticated partnerships so it was a little shocking that she'd jump right in from nothing to committed.  Sam being sexually fluid was more easy to believe.  Kim Cattrall did a great and wonderful job with the storyline but I don't know if I "buy" it for Sam.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)

Does anyone notice/remember a major change here?  SJP cuts off all her hair and Carrie gets really whiny and baby-ish.  Running around Vogue acting idiotic, "I'm drunk.... I'm drunk at VOGUE"....... Big announces he's moving "You take a napa, you don't move to Napa!"  She acts like a complete child.  "How can you move?  You're the Chrysler Building.  The Chrysler Building would be all wrong in a vineyard."  The Chrysler Building was a good line but she's all wide eyed and full of awe like a 6 year old instead of a 35-40 year old woman.  

I was wondering if this was related to 9/11, but Google says that 9/11 happened after season 4 had already stopped filming which is why they paid subtle tribute to New York in Episode 501.

martha.jpg

Holy shit, Carrie just called Miranda "Mommie Biggest" (because she's pregnant) instead of "Mommie Dearest" 😐

"Anchors Away" is just as bad.  Carrie screams approximately 6 times at just the rain.

What do you guys think about this plotline of Charlotte dating a guy after her divorce from Trey and he proceeds to completely freak out about how big her place is?

I found a little tidbit for @RealHousewife.  Daniel Sunjata is apparently half Black and Carrie and he have a flirtation in "Anchors Away".  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Does anyone notice/remember a major change here? 

SJP's son was born October 28, 2002 (my son was born the same day 10 years earlier) so she was pregnant during the filming of season 5.  But I have no idea why they wrote her so weirdish during the end of season 4.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Daniel Sunjata is apparently half Black and Carrie and he have a flirtation in "Anchors Away".  

That man is fine.  I remember watching that episode and being disappointed Carrie didn't hook up with him.   I would have jumped him in a heartbeat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, Daniel is another man almost like Blair Underwood that lots of women like.  ALMOST... but not quite.  Blair is different 😉

Miranda asks Carrie to be present for Brady's birth and to be the godmother.  And Sam continuously calls Carrie her "best friend".  "My best friend is getting married."  "My best friend is going to be a published author."

Do you guys notice that Miranda and Sam both think Carrie is their BFF?

And there's no way Charlotte would consider Miranda or Sam her BFF -- so she probably thinks the same about Carrie too.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, Daniel is another man almost like Blair Underwood that lots of women like.  ALMOST... but not quite.  Blair is different 😉

Miranda asks Carrie to be present for Brady's birth and to be the godmother.  And Sam continuously calls Carrie her "best friend".  "My best friend is getting married."  "My best friend is going to be a published author."

Do you guys notice that Miranda and Sam both think Carrie is their BFF?

And there's no way Charlotte would consider Miranda or Sam her BFF -- so she probably thinks the same about Carrie too.  

I guess it begs the question...would the other three be friends if it was not for Carrie?

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah I didnt think they handled anything that wasnt heteronormative with any nuisance at all. Charlotte was supportive of Samantha's relationship with Maria, because Charlotte being Charlotte, she is going to support Samantha having emotional intimacy with another person. But I kind of felt Maria was a plot device, the actress was good and she deserved better. 

I was so shocked to find out she was Mrs. Westlake from The Cosby Show. lol

v1.dDsyOTQ3Nzc7ajsxODg1ODsxMjAwOzYwMDs0N

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Does anyone notice/remember a major change here?  SJP cuts off all her hair and Carrie gets really whiny and baby-ish.  Running around Vogue acting idiotic, "I'm drunk.... I'm drunk at VOGUE"....... Big announces he's moving "You take a napa, you don't move to Napa!"  She acts like a complete child.  "How can you move?  You're the Chrysler Building.  The Chrysler Building would be all wrong in a vineyard."  The Chrysler Building was a good line but she's all wide eyed and full of awe like a 6 year old instead of a 35-40 year old woman.  

I was wondering if this was related to 9/11, but Google says that 9/11 happened after season 4 had already stopped filming which is why they paid subtle tribute to New York in Episode 501.

martha.jpg

Holy shit, Carrie just called Miranda "Mommie Biggest" (because she's pregnant) instead of "Mommie Dearest" 😐

"Anchors Away" is just as bad.  Carrie screams approximately 6 times at just the rain.

What do you guys think about this plotline of Charlotte dating a guy after her divorce from Trey and he proceeds to completely freak out about how big her place is?

I found a little tidbit for @RealHousewife.  Daniel Sunjata is apparently half Black and Carrie and he have a flirtation in "Anchors Away".  

Interesting facts, thank you! You're like the SATC queen. :) I had no idea that was SJP's baby. It's also cool that she pushed for diversity. I'm not sure why we didn't get more though. I also thought it was ridiculous the show went on for so long and we barely got any information about their families. 

Daniel is gorgeous!

I remember that scene very well. Insecure men can be some of the worst. I'm not wealthy, and I've still experienced men freaking out because I have more than they do. 

On another note, Charlotte looked especially pretty here. Her dress! Gorgeous. 

18 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I guess it begs the question...would the other three be friends if it was not for Carrie?

I can't see all of them being super close without the Carrie connection. Charlotte and Samantha in particular are so different. I can't see them enjoying each other's company one on one very much. My sister is like Carrie on steroids. She has tons of friends who consider her their best friend. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I could see this happening. People can be very "weird" about money. Also people have difference perceptions about what money, class, education, living arrangements etc meant to people. Charlotte was a beautiful woman, IRL the guy may have been stunned that she lived in an apartment like that (he may have only seen a home like that on tv), but I think he would've shut his mouth so they could have sex, and then deciding she was too "rich" for him afterwards. I also do not know how much he had to drink (I do not remember that plot line perfectly).

16 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I remember that scene very well. Insecure men can be some of the worst. I'm not wealthy, and I've still experienced men freaking out because I have more than they do. 

I believe you. Thanks for sharing that video. Charlotte did look beautiful, and I am so glad she got that man out of her house!

• Love 4

She was also one of the 3 awesome Derevko Sisters on Alias. Well, ok, 2 of them were awesome, one just wasn't written to her potential.

Sonia-Braga-Alias.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=74

I can't see all of them being super close without the Carrie connection.

Maybe Carrie was the reason they became a foursome, but I think they all became good friends over the years. We still saw them hanging out with each other after Carrie left for Paris.

I think the structure of the show didn't allow us to see the other 3 interacting with each other much unless they were in some sort of fight. We basically just saw them together as a foursome, on their own, or with Carrie (sometimes with 2 out of the other 3).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I can't see all of them being super close without the Carrie connection. Charlotte and Samantha in particular are so different. I can't see them enjoying each other's company one on one very much. My sister is like Carrie on steroids. She has tons of friends who consider her their best friend. 

I really like Miranda and Sam's dynamic.  I love how they give each other "looks" when the others are being too "whatever".  I think they really "get" each other.  Until Miranda had a baby!

Charlotte and Miranda rarely get good storylines, but one of theirs is when Miranda is pregnant of course, when Miranda's mother dies and Charlotte swoops in and acts amazingly, and of course in the second SATC movie, one of the only positive parts of that thing.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

v1.dDsyOTQ3Nzc7ajsxODg1ODsxMjAwOzYwMDs0N

Interesting facts, thank you! You're like the SATC queen. :) I had no idea that was SJP's baby. It's also cool that she pushed for diversity. I'm not sure why we didn't get more though. I also thought it was ridiculous the show went on for so long and we barely got any information about their families. 

Daniel is gorgeous!

On another note, Charlotte looked especially pretty here. Her dress! Gorgeous. 

She looks so pretty.

Take a drink every time the guy says, "Wow".

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I could see this happening. People can be very "weird" about money. Also people have difference perceptions about what money, class, education, living arrangements etc meant to people. Charlotte was a beautiful woman, IRL the guy may have been stunned that she lived in an apartment like that (he may have only seen a home like that on tv), but I think he would've shut his mouth so they could have sex, and then deciding she was too "rich" for him afterwards. I also do not know how much he had to drink (I do not remember that plot line perfectly).

I believe you. Thanks for sharing that video. Charlotte did look beautiful, and I am so glad she got that man out of her house!

Yes, that's how most men would handle it imo too! They'd sleep with Charlotte but decide she was too rich to be with long term after the fact. 

Me too! I have no issues with women being sexual and having hookups, but some men can be really scary. I don't even like giving random men my number. 

21 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I really like Miranda and Sam's dynamic.  I love how they give each other "looks" when the others are being too "whatever".  I think they really "get" each other.  Until Miranda had a baby!

Charlotte and Miranda rarely get good storylines, but one of theirs is when Miranda is pregnant of course, when Miranda's mother dies and Charlotte swoops in and acts amazingly, and of course in the second SATC movie, one of the only positive parts of that thing.

Yes, they totally got each other. They had similar personalities in may ways. Both were more matter of fact about things. Then Brady came along! lol

Yes, all of those were great storylines. 

14 minutes ago, qtpye said:

She looks so pretty.

Take a drink every time the guy says, "Wow".

I know right! Wow, wow, wow. lol 

• LOL 3

If I'm not mistaken Carrie first became friends with Samantha. According to the book the Carrie Diaries when Carrie first came to NYC she was told to look her up. And I think this was also said on the show at some point.  I don't think it was ever mentioned how Miranda and Charlotte came into Carrie's life.

I do think at first Carrie was the reason they were all friends. But then they formed their own friendships as well.  Samantha was the first person Charlotte called after her and Trey finally had sex.  As mentioned by @Ms Blue Jay Charlotte took charge when Miranda's mother died. Miranda took over negotiating Charlotte's prenup.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I also love when Miranda followed behind Charlotte after Charlotte had been to the dr and learned of the medical explanation around her difficulties conceiving. Charlotte just wanted to be alone, but Miranda said she was going to walk behind just in case. Charlotte knew she was there. 

I also like when Charlotte admitted (internally) that she was being too harsh on Samantha because she was sexually frustrated and emotionally exhausted surrounding Trey's impotence, but when they finally had intercourse, she called Sam to tell her, and she knew Sam would be happy for her.

• Love 7
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I also love when Miranda followed behind Charlotte after Charlotte had been to the dr and learned of the medical explanation around her difficulties conceiving. Charlotte just wanted to be alone, but Miranda said she was going to walk behind just in case. Charlotte knew she was there. 

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Miranda was given a good chance to be nurturing for once.  The writers "preparing" her for motherhood.

• Love 7
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Miranda was given a good chance to be nurturing for once.  The writers "preparing" her for motherhood.

Oh I thought you meant when Charlotte planned her baby shower, I saw "pregnant" and thought "belly", but yes of course Miranda was pregnant during the "following" scenes and that occurred first!

• Love 3
(edited)

Something sad about Season 5 😢

Richard and Samantha are actually in love.  Richard says he loves Samantha more than once.  I know she caught him cheating at the end of Season 4, but this is after he wins her back and they make up.  She just couldn't trust him after that.  😪. Poor Sam!

Why would Carrie be nice to these assholes at the casino who insult Charlotte on her birthday and say "No, get the hot one" and "You're my lucky blonde."  Then Carrie screams bloody murder when she wins.  Oh my god.  This is the absolute nadir of the show.  

Now Carrie is preventing Charlotte from flirting with guys at the casino who want to buy her a drink.  She is almost as bad to her here as she is in "Ring a Ding Ding".  I think it's actually making me angrier because we haven't dissected this one to death.  God, Carrie is such a selfish asshole here.  And Charlotte tries to call her out on it and Carrie just so smug and satisfied that she's completely right.  Then Carrie ditches CHARLOTTE to get saltwater taffy.  How could the writers possibly think that anyone would like this or relate to this unless they were a diagnosed narcissist?  

I have to push through this hell to get to Season 6.

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Interesting facts, thank you! You're like the SATC queen. :)

Thanks .  I really do think there is something so deeply genius about this show and Candace Bushnell's book that I can always find things to talk about.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Something sad about Season 5 😢

Richard and Samantha are actually in love.  Richard says he loves Samantha more than once.  I know she caught him cheating at the end of Season 4, but this is after he wins her back and they make up.  She just couldn't trust him after that.  😪. Poor Sam!

Why would Carrie be nice to these assholes at the casino who insult Charlotte on her birthday and say "No, get the hot one" and "You're my lucky blonde."  Then Carrie screams bloody murder when she wins.  Oh my god.  This is the absolute nadir of the show.  

Now Carrie is preventing Charlotte from flirting with guys at the casino who want to buy her a drink.  She is almost as bad to her here as she is in "Ring a Ding Ding".  I think it's actually making me angrier because we haven't dissected this one to death.  God, Carrie is such a selfish asshole here.  And Charlotte tries to call her out on it and Carrie just so smug and satisfied that she's completely right.  Then Carrie ditches CHARLOTTE to get saltwater taffy.  How could the writers possibly think that anyone would like this or relate to this unless they were a diagnosed narcissist?  

I have to push through this hell to get to Season 6.

Thanks .  I really do think there is something so deeply genius about this show and Candace Bushnell's book that I can always find things to talk about.

I know. I try to be careful not to catch feelings for a bad guy. Being hurt like that sucks so bad. 

Yes, I referred to that recently. That guy was an asshole. There's no way I'd be nice if someone put my friend down like that. 

Carrie was such a narcissist. 

I compare so much of the show to my own life and the lives of friends of mine. Some of it is relatable, some of it not at all but still fun to watch and discuss. 

• Love 3