Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Back to Work

Jeff, the district manager from corporate, tells the Cloud 9 employees he is going to be around for the day to see what can improve in the store. Amy tries to impress him with a perfect day, but a workplace accident threatens her plan. Meanwhile, Glenn tries to come off as a tough boss in front of Jeff, Jonah attempts to help an unyielding Dina win over the employees she betrayed in the strike and Mateo discovers something about Jeff in his pursuit to win him over.

Has this show gotten funnier or have I just gotten used to its rhythm or something? I remember last season thinking it was just "ok" but by the end of the season I was enjoying it enough to be glad it was renewed. Now it seems laugh out loud funny. I loved all the bits with Glenn trying to be mean, and getting stuck in the chair. And the hunt for the severed thumb, with Jonah digging through a whole bin of "novelty severed fingers."

I wasn't sure what to make of the district supervisor guy telling Mateo he noticed him. Did he mean it in a bad way, like he noticed how much he sucks at his job? Or did he mean he was kind of into him?

You could see that slicing machine accident coming a mile away though. Geez, I'd never get within three feet of that thing without adequate training. Looks dangerous as hell.

I like how the premise of this show allows for different "red shirt" characters every week like the guy who lost his thumb. They have an endless supply of newbies to work with because employees at a store like that must come and go on a regular basis. 

• Love 5

I could not stop laughing at the image of that guy with his thumb cut off chasing Amy around, trying to get her to look at his bleeding hand. That was hilarious on every level possible. 

That, followed by Glenn trying to be mean, and getting stuck in a chair, were highlights of a really funny episode. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

What a great final scene!  I'm glad Dina isn't totally unredeemable.

Can you please explain it to the rest of us?   Because I was coming here to ask the same thing that iMonrey did a few posts up.  Was District Supervisor implying he was into Mateo? 

Pretty good episode, Glenn and his path of non-destruction with the chairs was hilarious. I know he gets on some viewers nerves (with good reason) but I can't help but like the heck out of Glenn.

Amy took me out of the show, a little. She seems a bit more glammed up this season, with chunky heels and cute flippy skirts and letting her flowing hair hang loose while she is making food in the deli. Not to mention letting an untrained employee work the slicing machine, a huge no-no.

Glad to see Cheyenne again, I felt bad for her when she got stuck with the line-up of customers. Having cashiered in the past, I know the feeling of wanting to get leave now and the people just keep. On. Coming. Heh

Glad Dina had a decent moment. As we saw last season, she's an asshole sometimes but not heartless. 

Add me to those who didn't get the ending scene with Mateo and Supervisor guy.

• Love 1

I hate to say it, but I kind of feel for the impatient customer who screamed at Cheyenne to get off her phone. Mind you - he didn't know she'd just come in to show off baby pics and pick up some supplies and got stuck there. As far as he knew, she was on a regular shift as a checker. And nothing pisses me off more than standing in line at the checkout while the checker stands there and gabs away with a customer like there's not a line a mile long waiting to be checked out. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to yell out "Hey! Less chatting, more checking."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

Can you please explain it to the rest of us?   Because I was coming here to ask the same thing that iMonrey did a few posts up.  Was District Supervisor implying he was into Mateo? 

It was the final scene for me - I DVR'd it, so maybe there was another final scene.

I was referencing the note that Dina was going to send to corporate, telling how when the corporate guy was there an untrained employee cut off his thumb.  She kinda dangled it in front of him, so he decided HE wasn't going to send in his bad report on the store staff.  He then told her she wasn't likable, and she told him "I don't care."

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

It was the final scene for me - I DVR'd it, so maybe there was another final scene.

I was referencing the note that Dina was going to send to corporate, telling how when the corporate guy was there an untrained employee cut off his thumb.  She kinda dangled it in front of him, so he decided HE wasn't going to send in his bad report on the store staff.  He then told her she wasn't likable, and she told him "I don't care."

Thanks MaryMitch.  Yes, there was one more scene after that between District Supervisor Guy and Mateo.  I think it was one of those cases where the show comes back once more after the final commercials for just a quick few seconds.  And it was a weird scene between District Supervisor and Mateo.  With Mateo going off on the guy about how he was going out of his way to be noticed and how come he hasn't noticed him and DS Guy says 'Oh, I noticed you.'  And he walks away as Mateo's jaw drops open and with a look of dread on his face, he says something like "Oh oh!"  I can't recall the exact wording. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 1

I didnt get the last scene either, but maybe we werent supposed to; Matteo seemed confused too.  

Dina being an asshole who ocxasionally uses her powers for good is a big improcement from last season.  

I loved Sandra pulling that thing out from under that shelf, making a face, and putting it back.  The actress always kills the little bits they give her.  

• Love 2

My take on that last scene is that whether or not the District Manager is into Mateo, Mateo certainly thinks he is.  Mateo didn't look confused -- he looked like "Oh shit, what now?" 

If the DM is also gay, he probably thought that Mateo constantly trying to get his attention was Mateo flirting.

• Love 1

I don't mind Cheyenne being back, as long as they don't bring back her idiot boyfriend.  I didn't think this episode was as funny as the last.  The setting in the store is appealing, because we've all been there.   America Ferrara is worth watching, and the rest of the cast is also pretty good.   As soon as the guy went to the meat slicer, I think we all knew what was going to happen next.   The search for the guacamole, the district manager, Glenn trying to be a mean jerk, was all too much unfunny business.  I assume the ending was that the DM thought Mateo was trying to hit on him, but who really knows if he doesn't ever go back there this season. 

34 minutes ago, Big Mother said:

What I dont get is how the employee wasnt SCREAMING in agony from a severed finger. IT HURTS!!!

It's never happened to me, but maybe it doesn't hurt all that much.  I worked in a factory for several years, and my desk was near the nurse's office.  People with all kinds of injuries would be seen to (before being taken to hospital) and they were all quite calm.  And that included a guy whose finger was sliced lengthwise and a woman with a shoe full of blood when a sharp piece of metal fell on her foot.  Maybe they were in shock.  (A friend's son lost two fingers in an industrial accident and said he didn't feel a thing.)   

What bugged me about the lost finger was putting it in a container of guacamole.  You have cups, you have ice, why contaminate the finger with avocado dip?

• Love 3
On 10/1/2016 at 9:51 PM, atomationage said:

I don't mind Cheyenne being back, as long as they don't bring back her idiot boyfriend.  

The actor that plays her boyfriend is now one of the leads on Son of Zorn, so I don't expect we'll see him much unless that gets canceled. 

And it took me until just this moment to realize it was the same guy!

On 10/2/2016 at 0:51 AM, Big Mother said:

What I dont get is how the employee wasnt SCREAMING in agony from a severed finger. IT HURTS!!!

On 10/2/2016 at 1:33 AM, AuntiePam said:

What bugged me about the lost finger was putting it in a container of guacamole.  You have cups, you have ice, why contaminate the finger with avocado dip?

Because... it's an absurdist comedy show? I guess I don't understand nitpicking these things on a show like this.

22 hours ago, atomationage said:

One thing I don't like about the show is how clueless they make so many of the employees other than the main cast. 

The other store employees are more plot device than actual characters right now. I'm hoping that some day we get an episode from their point of view, in the same vein as Star Trek giving us the occasional episode form the point of view of all the junior officers and enlisted personnel.

• Love 3

I assume that Mateo thought the DM was "into" him and he was confused because it wasn't what he expected. Then again, I'm a gay boy so maybe my take on it is skewed. But, it would be interesting if they dated, especially because it is forbidden.

Isn't the DM a little on the old side for Mateo, though? I was thinking Mateo was in his early 20s, closer to Cheyenne's age range. Which is why they pal around sometimes. The DM seems like he is closer to his 40s or beyond. I'd rather see Mateo with some cutie his age.

4 hours ago, ae2 said:

Because... it's an absurdist comedy show? I guess I don't understand nitpicking these things on a show like this.

I nitpicked the thumb in the guacamole because it was Amy who did it.  I see Amy and Jonah as 'straight men' to the rest of the characters. 

• Love 2
On 10/3/2016 at 7:37 AM, ae2 said:

The actor that plays her boyfriend is now one of the leads on Son of Zorn, so I don't expect we'll see him much unless that gets canceled. 

And it took me until just this moment to realize it was the same guy!

Okay this is CRAZY. As soon as I watched Son of Zorn pilot, I was like, whoa! that boy.. that kid... isnt he cheyenne's boyfriend on Superstore? and then I looked it up, and it was like impossible to find. He doesn't have a wikipedia page, and even on IMDB he was known for a zillion other things until I finally found Superstore listed somewhere. He acts SO DIFFERENT in that role.

• Love 1

Yeah, I don't think that's sterile enough. I'm not sure they could re-attach it after it's been smothered in Guac. 

On 9/30/2016 at 1:14 PM, iMonrey said:

I like how the premise of this show allows for different "red shirt" characters every week like the guy who lost his thumb. They have an endless supply of newbies to work with because employees at a store like that must come and go on a regular basis. 

I think that's the most realistic aspect of this show. There are people you are NEVER scheduled with, and then one day you are, and you think they're new, but they've actually been there for months. I 'd love an episode where there's another group of workers that suddenly show up but they've actually been there all along.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2016 at 11:46 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I think that's the most realistic aspect of this show. There are people you are NEVER scheduled with, and then one day you are, and you think they're new, but they've actually been there for months. I 'd love an episode where there's another group of workers that suddenly show up but they've actually been there all along.

Yes! Or people who quit/got fired and you don't realize it for months. 

Or in my case, I left Walmart in August 2014. Just a couple weeks ago while shopping in my store, a former co-worker was all, Hey! Where've you been? You not working today?

Nope, haven't worked here in over two years, but hi!

• Love 5