Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Oh man, I was sobbing at the end of the Hound Dog case. SOBBING. I felt sorry for the man and his daughter but they did the right thing and that sweet dog went to a great home.

This is the first time I've ever cried while watching Judge Judy (well, I lied - I've cried a couple of times from laughing too hard but that's not the same thing)  The dog boarding lady looked really nice and when the guy and his daughter had tears in their eyes at the end, I couldn't help myself. I have a dog that was given to me by a family who was splitting up - and their 15 year old son was saying goodbye to her at my house and promising he would come and visit the dog (which he did - it was an open adoption lol). They knew they were doing the right thing but boy, if I had to give my dog away, I'd need serious medication. 

• Love 5

That was one beautiful dog. After being kenneled for all that time, it still looked happy and content.

Not sure where they were from but that woman who was boarding the dog... That's a person who I'd want looking after my pet. That dog was clean, well groomed and its fur was shiny and healthy. The man and his daughter obviously cared about it, but like JJ said, you have to think of the dog first. No kennel, no matter how good, is a replacement for a loving home. Props to JJ!

• Love 7

I felt for those defendants too. The guy didn't seem like a neglectful dog owner, but someone who had fallen on hard times. He and his daughter clearly loved that dog, and their willingness to let him go to a good home was nice, though still sad for them, to see. At least they got to know exactly who was taking their dog, something I would want to know if I ever had to give up one of my kitties (which would only happen over my dead body.)

• Love 4

After reading your comments on the dog episode, I decided to give it a pass.  I don't like seeing abused/sad animals, especially dogs.  And I don't like crying.

Daisy the hound wasn't abused. Her owner couldn't keep her due to some family problems, so he put her in a kennel (he could have easily driven her to another state and left her on the side of the road or something even worse.) He was brought to court by the kennel owner because he fell behind on the kennel fees. JJ stepped in because after 9 months, he still couldn't live with Daisy due to the no pets policy at his current residence. So JJ spoke to the owner and his daughter, telling them it wasn't fair to Daisy to be essentially in limbo for 9 months or more. Daisy, clearly, loved the owners---the way she looked so happy to see them and be petted by them. And I think the owners loved her, but they just couldn't provide a home for her. In the end, someone on JJ's production team agreed to adopt Daisy.

• Love 4

After seeing the description of the episode, I decided to skip it. A good friend's dog (that I've known for 10 years) was taken by a coyote this week. The dog couldn't be saved. I'm joining the group of viewers who will skip the dog attack cases in the future.

Oh, that is very sweet then.  But I still would have cried.

What was very sweet, and pass the Kleenex worthy, was that JJ told him she was going to rule for the plaintiff (the kennel owner), but she wanted to speak to him as human to another human (or something like that). And JJ offered to let her production team try to find a home for Daisy, which they did.

I think JJ felt sorry for the Daisy and her owner (probably more sorry for Daisy).

• Love 7

Put away those dripping doggie hankies, we have a QUADRIfecta today!

eCarmoney.com - Ladies!  Did you know you can go on websites for the romance-minded, meet men, friendzone them, and get them to pay the deductible on for your car crash for the privilege of a glimmer of hope of getting jiggy with you?  No?  In JJ's America, you still can't.  Sorry.

Quizzical Bortle - JJ was challenged by this challenging case involving the plaintiff's challenge of some forged cheques, and various monies owed.  You know those funny faces dogs make cocking their heads and looking at you quizzically?  Imagine this, but 1,000,000 times crazier and done by an especially trained chimpanzee called "Bortle." The defendant's witness was upset with the ruling: "oh wow! oh wow!"  I am an expert after watching every episode of Intervention, and I have never seen this.  Mushrooms?  Peyote?  Alien?

Taxpayer-Funded Largesses - I bet the defendant was right about the plaintiff launching this lawsuit because she wouldn't co-sign some sh!t for the plaintiff.  The way she described the plaintiff buying some expensive car parts for the defendant's husband's birthday and making it a big surprise sounded true.  But here's the kicker.  All those extravagant gifts (car parts, clothes, shoes, expensive vet bills, new puppy{???}) to the defendant were made on a disability/4-children/scholarship budget.  Guess how JJ felt about this one.

8 Cylinders of Broken Dreams - Goodbye, it's over, let it goooOoOoOooooOOO!

• Love 3

Put away those dripping doggie hankies, we have a QUADRIfecta today!

eCarmoney.com - Ladies!  Did you know you can go on websites for the romance-minded, meet men, friendzone them, and get them to pay the deductible on for your car crash for the privilege of a glimmer of hope of getting jiggy with you?  No?  In JJ's America, you still can't.  Sorry.

Quizzical Bortle - JJ was challenged by this challenging case involving the plaintiff's challenge of some forged cheques, and various monies owed.  You know those funny faces dogs make cocking their heads and looking at you quizzically?  Imagine this, but 1,000,000 times crazier and done by an especially trained chimpanzee called "Bortle." The defendant's witness was upset with the ruling: "oh wow! oh wow!"  I am an expert after watching every episode of Intervention, and I have never seen this.  Mushrooms?  Peyote?  Alien?

Taxpayer-Funded Largesses - I bet the defendant was right about the plaintiff launching this lawsuit because she wouldn't co-sign some sh!t for the plaintiff.  The way she described the plaintiff buying some expensive car parts for the defendant's husband's birthday and making it a big surprise sounded true.  But here's the kicker.  All those extravagant gifts (car parts, clothes, shoes, expensive vet bills, new puppy{???}) to the defendant were made on a disability/4-children/scholarship budget.  Guess how JJ felt about this one.

8 Cylinders of Broken Dreams - Goodbye, it's over, let it goooOoOoOooooOOO!

Am I getting my hopes up too high hoping the defendant's witness is Bortle, the trained chimpanzee?

QuoteQuote

Imagine this, but 1,000,000 times crazier and done by an especially trained chimpanzee called "Bortle."

You weren't just whistlin' Dixie. WOW. I really wanted to know what he was on that apparently caused him to feel excruciating pain upon being asked a question.

QuoteQuote

meet men, friendzone them, and get them to pay the deductible on for your car crash

I don't know what to say about this, except maybe, "Brian, just what the fuck were you thinking??" And you'd really think that someone who looks like the def. and has a whole bunch of kids would try to be a little nicer or at least a little less amoral.

It appeared to be "I'm a single mother of four"  day on JJ.

QuoteQuote

disability/4-children/scholarship budget.  Guess how JJ felt about this one.

She felt pretty much the way any taxpayer would feel - disgusted. In the Walmart Arena, the Battle of Big Giant Me and Little Mini Me, Mini Me won ONLY because Big Giant Me could not keep her big giant piehole shut, no matter how many times she was warned. JJ hated them equally, but the big mouth of the def. tipped the hatred scales.

QuoteQuote

8 Cylinders of Broken Dreams

It's so heart breaking when these fairytale romances go south and Juliet has to sue Romeo over...something or other. sob sob

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

You left off the flea bite case where the drunken landlady wouldn't let the boarder into the house because she didn't recognize him.

A rerun, but a good one. The landlady, who looks as though "Designing Women" is still her favorite shows and coifs herself accordingly, invites a total stranger to move into her house, then gets pissed, floods the place, locks him out and trashes some of his junk in a drunken rampage.

You stupid bitch. Instead of buying another bottle of booze, go and get some Advantage for your poor cats. And if you can't afford your house without luring strangers in and subjecting them to fleas and your drunk ass, get a smaller house.

I bet the fleas did bite her but got alcohol poisoning and dropped dead.

• Love 4

I really wish we had hallterviews for the first 3 cases! The last one was the most boring.

Seconded. The episodes where she hears more than two cases always feel off for me. It's like a drive-through version of justice, and we usually don't get hallterviews, which feature some of my favorite JJ moments.

What's frustrating for me is that I've seen her spend an entire episode on a case that totally didn't warrant it. I hate when interesting cases get short shrift.

• Love 5

A rerun, but a good one. The landlady, who looks as though "Designing Women" is still her favorite shows and coifs herself accordingly, invites a total stranger to move into her house, then gets pissed, floods the place, locks him out and trashes some of his junk in a drunken rampage.

You stupid bitch. Instead of buying another bottle of booze, go and get some Advantage for your poor cats. And if you can't afford your house without luring strangers in and subjecting them to fleas and your drunk ass, get a smaller house.

I bet the fleas did bite her but got alcohol poisoning and dropped dead.

I was bored and Googled the drunken landlady, and here's what I found:

http://fox40.com/2013/06/05/woman-suspected-of-ripping-off-officers-badge/

That's the happiest looking mugshot I've ever seen. Must've been some really good moonshine!

Oh man, now I feel bad.

Yeah, but having Tourette's doesn't mean he can steal someone's check and forge their signature.

• Love 1

I was SO looking forward to hearing Jeremy Bortle's story in the hallterview only to get bum-rushed directly to the next case. Something was up with him; he referred to the singular plaintiff (with no witnesses on the side) as "they" when trying to explain the forged check. That plus all of his constant posturing and posing and the girlfriend/nice lady who handles his paperwork....there was definitely a lot more to his story.

• Love 3

He deserved to be punished for whatever transgressions he committed, including forging that signature on the check. However, I don't think he deserved to be mocked by being called "challenged" a few times because of what looked like a neurological problem, Tourette's or something else.

This the very next day after JJ showed sooooo much compassion for a bloody pooch. And she did not even allow the guy's witness to testify; it would probably not have changed the verdict, but it might have shown real humanity on her part to let some facts in his broken statements be clarified.

ETA: I have had one close acquaintance with Tourette's and briefly met a few others through him; the intensity and extent of symptoms varies, while some don't get verbal outbursts. The defendant's tics looked familiar to me.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1

Does anyone know if the guy had Tourettes Syndrome?  I came in late and thought he was just over acting. 

I agree, however, that if JJ thinks a plaintiff or a defendant is 'challenged', she should put off the case and find out the truth before continuing.  I'm tired of wondering if her bad moods and snap judgements are because the one of the litigants don't fall into "my America" or because it's sushi for lunch and she's afraid all the raw fish will be gone before she gets there (like JJ would ever eat at a place that doesn't serve sushi fresh).

• Love 4

Today we have an alcoholic special, be ready to watch with your favorite cocktail in hand.

Poor LaQuan! - The gall of the plaintiff to sue her baby daddy LaQuan after smashing the driver's side door with a baseball bat and trying to pin it him!  The nerve of this lazy, entitled, bossy, drunken ne'er-do-well!  First of all her testimony didn't make a bit of sense, her lying witness had been coached to lie, and I believed every single word of LaQuan's.  I felt sorry for the poor guy's poor choice of baby mamma, he looked like an honest, decent, well-meaning fellow.

More Largesses on Disability - Ah, here we go again, some old drunk on disability buying $2000 worth of appliances to the adult daughter he never supported.  The daughter sounded nasty, but in the hallterview, she explained more and I get where she's coming from.  She'll never get anything from her sperm donor, she should just cut her losses at this point and forget about it.  On the plus side, she's justified to let him rot during his elderly years and say: 'good riddance.'

• Love 2

Does anyone know if the guy had Tourettes Syndrome?  I came in late and thought he was just over acting. 

I certainly was not making a definite diagnostic, since I am not qualified to do so. I was just speaking from my personal knowledge that it looked like he may have some neurological impediment.

I agree, however, that if JJ thinks a plaintiff or a defendant is 'challenged', she should put off the case and find out the truth before continuing.  I'm tired of wondering if her bad moods and snap judgements are because the one of the litigants don't fall into "my America" or because it's sushi for lunch and she's afraid all the raw fish will be gone before she gets there (like JJ would ever eat at a place that doesn't serve sushi fresh).

I don't think that we should expect the sort of reasonable behaviour you suggest, not in JJ's America anyway, where snap judgments and retrograde prejudice are the norm.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1

If Mr. Jeremy Bortle is challenged or disabled in any way, he certainly has an impressive LinkedIn resume:

Ah, "pharmaceuticals".  It's all starting to make sense now.

I felt sorry for the poor guy's poor choice of baby mamma

This is the problem with SO many litigants. They decide to get it on and make a baby with someone they've known for, oh, 15 minutes and then Surprise! they realize they actually hate this person once they get to know them. Yer doin' it ass backwards, you fuckwads, tying yourself for the rest of your life to some nutcase you didn't bother to get acquainted with before breeding with them. Durr.

• Love 4

Another rerun case yesterday had me WTFing at JJ's ruling.  A couple, he was 40-something, she was 27, had broken up.  They lived in a 2 bedroom house with his three teenaged children (they never did give the sexes of the kids, but I was cringing at the thought of teenagers of different sexes sharing a bedroom).  The woman moved out and left him with the rent even though she was a co-signer on the lease.   He was suing her for breaking the lease, and JJ ruled that she was liable, but she mitigated the amount she awarded him because he hadn't done anything to find another roommate.

What sort of person is going to want to move into a 2-bedroom apartment with 3 teenaged kids?  Were they supposed to sleep in the living room, or share the guy's bed?

• Love 5

The daughter sounded nasty, but in the hallterview, she explained more and I get where she's coming from.

I don't know what the deal with Daddy was, but once again I was distracted by the fact that a 34 year old "full time student" couldn't speak basic English properly. I guess I'll never get it.

Monique and LaQuan - their fractured English was also very irritating, but I totally believed LaQuan since I truly doubt he had the gray matter necessary to make up such a story. Oh, and Monique is a bitch from Hell.

I did admire Momma Toni, who was sporting a purple wig in a style I haven't seen since the Supremes starting topping the charts in the 1960s.  She needs to coach her daughter, since she looked like she was wearing a janitor's mop on her head.

• Love 2

I really, really got pissed at JJ today on a rerun with two little nine year old boys.  She called both of them liars in open court, and one of them started crying right there.  Show a little human compassion, please?

Yeah, but I wonder if maybe the parents had called the little liars on their lying shit a little more, a little sooner, and maybe the two widdle preciouses wouldn't have had their precious liar feelings hurt by JJ.

Sorry, but honestly, kids need to hear "cut the shit" a little more often.

• Love 11

I just finished reading "The Girl on the Train," by Paula Hawkins (great read, btw). Anyway, the description of the girlfriend taking a bat to her own car and then completely forgetting about it sounded like something the main character in that book would do. If you drink to the point where you don't remember something like bashing your own car, you may have a drinking problem.

Despite her horrific grammar, I could also see why the defendant in the second case had so much disdain for her father. I can't, however, condone her taking anything from him if she knows that's how he is. If he was a shitty father, that really sucks. But you're in your thirties now and a parent yourself. Finish your $60 a month school (I wish JJ had asked her what school), get your shit together, and move on. If dad is that much of a jerk, then leave him alone. The best revenge is living well. Believe me.

• Love 6

Yeah, but I wonder if maybe the parents had called the little liars on their lying shit a little more, a little sooner, and maybe the two widdle preciouses wouldn't have had their precious liar feelings hurt by JJ.

Sorry, but honestly, kids need to hear "cut the shit" a little more often.

JJ tried to tell the one parent just that. Once Judy called the blonde a liar he cried all the tears. The black haired one stood at the table more unbothered than most adults who go in front of Judge Judy. 

That little kid gave not one shit that she called him out on his lies because his dad still believed him. And then called the cryer a better liar.

• Love 3

The black haired one stood at the table more unbothered than most adults who go in front of Judge Judy.

Those kids scare me. When I was little, any authority figure intimidated me, right down the hall monitor. These kids stand front of an audience and have Judge Judy grilling them, look right into her eyes and lie without the slightest compunction. I can't help but wonder about what the future holds for them.

• Love 4

I just finished reading "The Girl on the Train," by Paula Hawkins (great read, btw). Anyway, the description of the girlfriend taking a bat to her own car and then completely forgetting about it sounded like something the main character in that book would do. If you drink to the point where you don't remember something like bashing your own car, you may have a drinking problem.

Despite her horrific grammar, I could also see why the defendant in the second case had so much disdain for her father. I can't, however, condone her taking anything from him if she knows that's how he is. If he was a shitty father, that really sucks. But you're in your thirties now and a parent yourself. Finish your $60 a month school (I wish JJ had asked her what school), get your shit together, and move on. If dad is that much of a jerk, then leave him alone. The best revenge is living well. Believe me.

Am I missing something?  There was nothing wrong with her grammar.

Am I missing something?  There was nothing wrong with her grammar.

"...no nuthin'."  "...he don't have no money."

Granted, for most litigants this would be just a minor assault against the language and not the more common first degree murder, but I guess I expect a little more from a 34 year old student.

I just betcha she's in "home health care."

• Love 2

She bugged  me a whole lot more than the dad. Maybe I missed something at the beginning, but she was a nasty piece of work with a nastier attitude. Surprised JJ didn't get on her for the hand-on-hip thing. And would really like to know what school. She did mention some $17,000 from the government, and I know school loans have a very low interest rate, but the $60 seems amazing. Count me in!!

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 2

She did mention some $17,000 from the government, and I know school loans have a very low interest rate, but the $60 seems amazing

Maybe some online School of the Popup.

She certainly fits with the usual health care people we see here. Belligerent, combative, over the top nasty attitude and poor grammar.