Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Well, Ms. LeShuna Jones sure was dramatic.  (But I echoed her dismay at being called "an older lady")

So I wasn't surprised when Google revealed her to be an actress.

• Love 6

Ms Shepard reminded me of those cat clocks with the wide, shifty eyes.   Anyone taking bets on when they'll be back in court AGAIN?

As for Ms. Jones - dramatic in spades! Surprised she didn't waltz out mid-case.

• Love 7

10$? That's about what Ms. Sheperd deserved, but it was interesting to see that Mr. White wasn't nearly as innocent as he acted. Even I knew that as he told the rock-throwing incident that he gave too much detail and was too animated for it to be true.

Ms. Shepard was just awful in her evasiveness! Her emergency room visit:

JJ: "They gave you aspirin!"

Ms.S.: "They prescribed ibuprofen."

Okay, then.

In other news, Kathryn (23), who never heard of birth control, started breeding at 17 and is now up to four kids: I really wanted to know where she got 3,000$ in cash to give to her sister, but we never found out, did we? When I was that age I lived on my own, had a good job/no kids, yet never have 3K just lying around. Maybe I missed something in this case?

"Gnai", pronounced "Jah-nay" - shouldn't the "G" be silent, as it is in "Gnu" and "Gnat"? Anyway, defendant ( a teacher with a poor moral compass) was a lying liar who doth protest too much about being "belittled", even though she had a better quality (but worse colour) wig. Burgundy and orange do not complement each other.  Plaintiff didn't need to say much to win.  

Gotta love BYRD! I love him most when he takes it upon himself to defend JJ, even when she doesn't request it. He did this in the repeat where the little lad was being sued by his boyfriend. The little shit kept calling JJ "Judy" and Byrd meandered over to give him The Word about that - "Is she your friend?" Maybe he spends his time doing crosswords and doesn't move with the speed of a gazelle, but he's always there when needed. No wonder JJ depends on him.  You go, Byrd!

ETA:

The defendant called JJ "Judy" twice, and the second time, Byrd walked up to him and said, "Is she your friend?"  And when he said no, Byrd said, "She's the judge, quit calling her Judy."

I posted before reading this, so excuse my repetition.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3

As the case concluded, JJ told them both that they act inappropriately. She said that Mr. White did throw a rock at the car, so damages would be awarded. Then, JJ quickly announced, "Ten dollars," banged the gavel, and disappeared in a flash. Ms. Shepard's bitchface went on overdrive, and it looked like she was trying to get Byrd to intervene. In the hallterview, she complained about Mr. White antagonizing her and her twin brothers, and Mr. White said he just wants the co-op to be a success.

What a waste of time!?! Both litigants have practiced their testimony so many times I can't tell who is telling the truth. Plaintiff's witness REALLY wanted to add her 2 cents. Plaintiff making faces and obvious practiced testimony makes me want to rule against her, but I had problems with defendant, too. My biggest problem was his claim that he didn't trust police to act fairly. Despite his claim that cops turned a blind eye towards plaintiff's action, plaintiff and boyfriend were arrested and charged. The fact they were aquitted after a trial does not, in my mind, mean the police let them off.

I would have liked to have seen a picture of the entrance to the building, since that was where a couple of their disputes occurred. Was it a single entrance for multiple apartments? She called it 'the entrance' while he said it was 'his porch'. I got the feeling that he might have been claiming it as his because it was right outside his door, while it was actually a common area.

Ultimately, the previous altercations had nothing to do with this case, except as background. These things had already been heard by other courts. This case was about the harrassment and car damage. Harrassment was mutual, no one wins. I think JJ ruled based on defendant's admission that he threw rock, and that was just because she was tired of both sides.

• Love 2

Plaintiff making faces and obvious practiced testimony makes me want to rule against her, but I had problems with defendant, too. My biggest problem was his claim that he didn't trust police to act fairly.

Agree. I always find it suspicious when litigants claim police are biased or there's some sort of conspiracy going on. I believe the last person we saw doing that was Ms. Patricia Bean. No more need be said.

QuoteMeanwhile, Angela, I am STILL laughing at "I'll split ya doon the middle!" I grew up with my Norwegian grammy who was much the same; she once smacked a neighbor child with a broom when he deliberately rode his bike across the front lawn to taunt her.

Wow. Who knew there were two grannies so feriocious? The granny I remember had another threat, no less terrifying: "I'll break yer back!" We felt she was fully capable of that.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

she was tired of both sides.

Completely agree. I have no idea how much footage is actually shot on these cases, or how long they actually take, but if WE got "60" minutes for this case, one can only imagine how long it took in real time. 

ETA:  Top of the page!  Woo hoo!  /TWOP.

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 4

Completely agree. I have no idea how much footage is actually shot on these cases, or how long they actually take, but if WE got "60" minutes for this case, one can only imagine how long it took in real time. 

ETA:  Top of the page!  Woo hoo!  /TWOP.

As I figured, this was a waste of episodes! All that rambling on about pepper spray and court appearances, l had no idea the case was actually about a stinking rock??? Oy...I did crack up at the 10$ Ruling.

• Love 11

In other news, Kathryn (23), who never heard of birth control, started breeding at 17 and is now up to four kids: I really wanted to know where she got 3,000$ in cash to give to her sister, but we never found out, did we? When I was that age I lived on my own, had a good job/no kids, yet never have 3K just lying around. Maybe I missed something in this case?

Defendant is running out of family to mouch off. Mom has turned her down twice now. Older sister turned her down, and sent her to other sister. Now the other sister, the plaintiff, has made her two loans, and is taking her to court to get repaid. Wonder who she'll go to next time?
  • Love 1

On the court shows I work on we've spent as little as 15 minutes(woo-hoo!) on a case up to probably 45 minutes, not including cases where we have to stop for some issue or another. I'd say on average we shoot for about 20-25 minutes per case. We do 14 cases a day, which is a lot. 

• Love 4

Ick. I guess I should be happy it wasn't the sexual assault OF a jet ski.

ok, two of my favorite posts ever happened this week! The one from Milz above and Angela's "I'll split ya doon the middle!" Thank you both! Life IS worth living!

Today we got the second part of the harassment/threats/pepper spray/rock thrown at car case. Those two people have sure wasted a lot of court time -- three actual court cases and 2 days of Judge Judy! I won't spoil the verdict in case anyone hasn't seen it yet. My husband was listening from another room and he cracked up.

The other show a plaintiff who rear-ended someone but claimed that the other driver stopped in the street and backed into her, and a loan between sisters. I liked how the sisters did their scarves. Plaintiff's scarf looked like an anaconda. Defendant's scarf was less deadly looking.

I rolled my eyes at the sister (age 23?) who had four kids. Then remembered that I had four kids in six years, starting at age 19. Smacks self upside the head, 50 years later.

Regarding the scarf sisters, I immediately thought JJ's staff put them on the ladies to hide particularly offensive tattoos. Those ladies did not look like the type who would wear scarves. Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 5

On the court shows I work on we've spent as little as 15 minutes(woo-hoo!) on a case up to probably 45 minutes, not including cases where we have to stop for some issue or another. I'd say on average we shoot for about 20-25 minutes per case. We do 14 cases a day, which is a lot.

I'm going to require a lot more info than you've just provided. We need behind the scenes details. Spill it!
  • Love 5

I'm going to require a lot more info than you've just provided. We need behind the scenes details. Spill it!

If you guys want to ask me questions over in the small talk forum I'll try to answer them for you there since I'm not lucky enough to work on Judge Judy.

• Love 1

Agree. I always find it suspicious when litigants claim police are biased or there's some sort of conspiracy going on. I believe the last person we saw doing that was Ms. Patricia Bean. No more need be said.

Normally I'd agree with this, but I remember a case where a new house owner caught a guy (and partially clothed woman) in her house the day of the house closing. The guy had a complete bullshit story of rescuing the woman. Although the police were called, they didn't arrest they guy. Judge Judy randomly asked the woman house owner the name of the police chief in her town, owner didn't know. She then turned to the guy and asked "what's the name of your police chief?" The guy casually said "John Smith" (or whatever it actually was). Judge Judy then smirked and said "got it". I got it too.

• Love 5

On the bank statement, there was a deposit/credit of $4962 prior to the $3K withdrawal -- I'm thinking tax refund.  It could have been that much because she probably gets the Earned Income Tax Credit.  Four kids, child care deductions, etc.

Little sister was expecting a big settlement from an accident where she was a passenger.  So it's possible her sister really thought she'd be repaid. 

• Love 4

Normally I'd agree with this, but I remember a case where a new house owner caught a guy (and partially clothed woman) in her house the day of the house closing.

RIght. I remember that case very well with that disgusting pig, who tried to say, "No good deed goes unpunished" in the hall, but became incoherent. Yeah, I guess you can catch a break if you're related to the chief of police.

At least the plaintiff got some Judy Justice. The defendant got publicly humiliated and now the world knows about his crooked cop family member.

On the bank statement, there was a deposit/credit of $4962 prior to the $3K withdrawal -- I'm thinking tax refund.

And, that's the part I missed. Thanks!

Edited by AngelaHunter

oakLeaf...did you work for a gigantic, world-dominating software company just off of 520? Because I used to see a Herbie Beetle there, too...but I hadn't seen Taboo and so had no idea of the potential for Car Rape. O.O

There are two gigantic, world-dominating software companies just off 520; I worked for the one that had buildings on both sides of highway (as well as all over the rest of Redmond, Bellevue, Seattle, Issaquah, etc.), whose buildings have a lot of windows, and whose former CEO recently bought a CA basketball team.

Here's the Taboo episode:

but I must have mis-remembered because Vanilla doesn't seem to have the Herbie paint job in the episode (well, I didn't watch the whole episode again because I was getting squicked out). I must have either read another article or seen another interview other than Taboo. I have no idea why I would have sought more info about this, and I'm embarrassed that I did.

But anyway, here's a picture of him and Vanilla in the paint job:

http://www.blameitonthevoices.com/2008/05/man-has-sex-with-cars.html

So, yes, that car you've seen around town is this one.

On the bank statement, there was a deposit/credit of $4962 prior to the $3K withdrawal -- I'm thinking tax refund. It could have been that much because she probably gets the Earned Income Tax Credit. Four kids, child care deductions, etc.

Little sister was expecting a big settlement from an accident where she was a passenger. So it's possible her sister really thought she'd be repaid.

Did she say she had a one year old kid and an 8 month old? How is that possible? The older two were like 6 and 3 yrs old.

• Love 1

I work for a district court and a couple of times a year a representative of Judge Judy would come in and look over our small claims cases to see if there was anything of interest. I remember a friend of mine was being sued and her case was chosen by the representative to have her case heard by Judge Judy. She declined because she didn't want to be embarrassed on TV!!!!

• Love 6

I missed the first half of pepper spray/rock case yesterday and was eagerly anticipating the hairdo. I was not disappointed! I couldn't decide if it looked like a pot scrubber or some sort of pastry coiled up there on Smirkerella's head. Mr Lovesnark came in while I was watching and said 'What the hell is on her head?' After he got over his shock, he noticed the braids winding their way up her scalp and commented that he bets she spends a ton of money keeping her hair so horrible looking. Sometimes he's spot on!

• Love 7

Did she say she had a one year old kid and an 8 month old? How is that possible? The older two were like 6 and 3 yrs old.

I suspect she said "one-year-old" because it was easier than saying how many months' old he was.  The kid's had one birthday, so he's one.  He's probably 18-20 months or thereabouts. 

• Love 3

Normally I'd agree with this, but I remember a case where a new house owner caught a guy (and partially clothed woman) in her house the day of the house closing. The guy had a complete bullshit story of rescuing the woman. ...

Wow, I'd actually been meaning to ask around about this case; I couldn't remember if it was a JJ case or a People's Court case. She basically caught them having sex in her house, right?

• Love 1

Awwwww, let's cut Ms. Shepard a hair style break. Obviously, she's fashion forward enough to incorporate the fascinator hats popularized by the Duchess of Cambridge and a chignon. All she has to do is stick a big bow or some feathers into that scrubby pad and she's ready to attend tea party (or dance.)

eta.....got Duchesses n,ixed up. Anyhoo, I expect chignonators to become very chic

Edited by Milz
  • Love 5

Wow, I'd actually been meaning to ask around about this case; I couldn't remember if it was a JJ case or a People's Court case. She basically caught them having sex in her house, right?

Right. The guy had something like an access code or keys to the gate of the HOA in which the house was located. He had the access because he was some kind of contractor who had done work on several houses in the community. Judge Judy was really amazed to find out the circumstances of the guy being caught and yet not getting arrested.

• Love 1

Holy smokes, y'all!  Mr. Galante today! (Didn't pay out his mom's will as per her wishes.)  I don't recall ever seeing a litigant get up in JJ's face like this idiot. Wow. Kinda wish she'd tossed this one back to "real court" so he'd have to pony up the money himself. But at least this way the lovely friend got her money. 

Followed by the slimy, winky Mr. Dustin Moore. My TV needs a coat of Lysol after that. (And Ms. Tammy Jo - violates the "eye shadow should not weigh more than the eyes" rule! hee!)

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 3

I missed part 2 of that case. Can one of my faithful JJ cohort clue me in. I couldn't understand why y she was going to phone one witness but wouldn't phone the other. Please help.

Judge Judy never calls witnesses at the request of one of the parties. She will randomly call a person mentioned during someone telling the story of what happened. She thought she would trip up the plaintiff by calling the woman the plaintiff was talking to when the defendant came at her (and then the plaintiff pepper sprayed him).

• Love 2

Judge Judy never calls witnesses at the request of one of the parties. She will randomly call a person mentioned during someone telling the story of what happened. She thought she would trip up the plaintiff by calling the woman the plaintiff was talking to when the defendant came at her (and then the plaintiff pepper sprayed him).

Thanks, that is helpful. I know she sometimes decides sua sponte, to use some legalese, to make her own phone call.   I was following the case with only half my attention, and I didn't care to rewind to get the details.  I just was waiting for her to call the second witness, and all of a sudden it said "to be continued."  Oops . . .

So what happened in part 2?  I don't think I ever got that episode.  Did other NYC area folks get it? 

Defendant Mr. Shaw had Kenny G hair, and his stepdad was shaped like a pea on a pumpkin. Neither of them want anyone driving slowly on their street. The plaintiff, Mr. Dunn, just wanted to ride home from the convenience store....but Kenny G, stepdad, and another person made like the animals at the Wild Safari at Six Flags Great Adventure and attacked his car.

The second case featured simpleton George Irby who fell for defendant Brittany Shaffer, a jailbird with a sassy side ponytail. JJ shared that Brittany's letters from jail graphically described her pending acts of gratitude, and they also said that Brittany planned to get a boob job after she gets out -- not pay George back for commissary money. He bailed her out when the time came and then took her on a trip to Wal-Mart. After her shopping spree, Brittany decided that George was being "controllive," and she wanted to go home. JJ reminded her that her letters said she had other things in mind, and they definitely didn't include getting away from George. Irby tried to get sympathy by fake crying and saying his daughter died (he flashed some old-timey school photo). JJ told him that his loss was unfortunate, but his decisions (even if made while under duress) branded him a weirdo. I'm sure he'll do it again, if he hasn't already....he was definitely touched.

• Love 11

Here in Denver, they just cut into JJ with breaking news.  Terrorist attack?  High speed chase?  Nope.  Live footage of the Broncos' plane landing at DIA.  Now they are split-screen showing Bronco fans hanging out at the training facility.

Sigh.

• Love 6

Little behind on my viewing but caught the 2/5 episode of sister with four children suing sister for $3,000 loan. She looked quite familiar to me and then I realized I had seen her on People's Court. She was sued by her mother for an unpaid loan and damage to property during a fight. Seems the family is making the rounds.

• Love 3

Defendant Mr. Shaw had Kenny G hair, and his stepdad was shaped like a pea on a pumpkin. Neither of them want anyone driving slowly on their street. The plaintiff, Mr. Dunn, just wanted to ride home from the convenience store....but Kenny G, stepdad, and another person made like the animals at the Wild Safari at Six Flags Great Adventure and attacked his car.

The second case featured simpleton George Irby who fell for defendant Brittany Shaffer, a jailbird with a sassy side ponytail. JJ shared that Brittany's letters from jail graphically described her pending acts of gratitude, and they also said that Brittany planned to get a boob job after she gets out -- not pay George back for commissary money. He bailed her out when the time came and then took her on a trip to Wal-Mart. After her shopping spree, Brittany decided that George was being "controllive," and she wanted to go home. JJ reminded her that her letters said she had other things in mind, and they definitely didn't include getting away from George. Irby tried to get sympathy by fake crying and saying his daughter died (he flashed some old-timey school photo). JJ told him that his loss was unfortunate, but his decisions (even if made while under duress) branded him a weirdo. I'm sure he'll do it again, if he hasn't already....he was definitely touched.

This is a VERY funny post! Kadooz!  But I have to disagree on one point.  It was pretty obvious that Brittany does her work horizontally, and Mr Irby paid for it.  Then, she didn't want to honor her end of the bargain.  I don't think he was a weirdo; I think he was a customer that she tired of.

• Love 6

Defendant Brittany offended me. Number one, if you're gonna do the side ponytail, bitch do the side ponytail. Instead of it being :30 after, it was just at :35 after and that was some bullshit. It made her look like her purse is a Starbucks bag with PURSE written on it in black sharpie.

Second of all, I mean, ew. Don't take money from people if you're not going to pay them back. And this boyfriend you have obviously must not be shit for real if you're using this old dude for money. That's some sucker shit. And stop trying to buy sex! I'm sure he's lonely and grieving, but that chick wasn't worth it. I...think JJ likes animals more than people. She owed him the money whether it was expressly stated or not. She's more judgmental than a little bit.

• Love 7

JJ wasn't going to reward that pitiful little creep.  I felt sorry for him for a minute, and then I realized that he was assuming he'd get sex in exchange for his money.  And I really lost sympathy when he tried to use the Dead Child card. 

• Love 7

Plaintiff's testimony should have been part of the Ray Stevens old song, "The streak."

http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-streak-lyrics-ray-stevens.html

LYRICS GO SOMETHING LIKE:

Hello, everyone, this is your action news reporter with all the news

That is news across the nation, on the scene at the convenience store. There

Seems to have been some disturbance here. Pardon me, sir (MR PLAINTIFF) did you see

What happened?

and the plaintiff says,

"Yeah, I did, I was buying Momma some snapple and shelled peanuts and here he

Come, running through the pole beans, through the fruits and vegetables

Nekkid as a jay bird. And I hollered over t' Ethel, I said, "Don't

Look, Ethel!" But it's too late,

Here he comes, boogity boogity

There he goes, boogity boogity

And he ain't wearin' no clothes

Stepdad accepted responsibility in police report if plaintiff dropped matter, then reneged. At the end of case JJ yells at stepson to "SPEAK!!!" Watch audience member who is sitting behind stepson react - funniest part of silly case.

• Love 7

He didn't assume he was going to get sex for money; she explicitly told him that, in the letter, and in previous encounters.

Good point.  But he was still expecting sex in return for money and favors.  Although he probably would have helped her out even if she hadn't made those promises -- he was just that pitiful. 

• Love 4

Here in Denver, they just cut into JJ with breaking news.  Terrorist attack?  High speed chase?  Nope.  Live footage of the Broncos' plane landing at DIA.  Now they are split-screen showing Bronco fans hanging out at the training facility.

Sigh.

I feel your pain, BalsoSnell! Last week I saw no new JJ eps because the Super Bowl was held in my home town and we were treated to breathless TV newscasts about random celebrity-sightings and football players chowing down food at taquerias. So glad that damn game and the resulting traffic jams are over!

Now then...one of my favorite reruns, featuring the devious Tami Jo and her electric blue eyeshadow (like I haven't seen since Dusty Springfield in 1965) and her winking, "aren't I cute" ex-BF....paired with smirking unemployed mother-of-one Chelsea Barnett, who thinks she's entitled to her ex-BF's stepfather's bonus from Boeing because "he has a lot of extra money and wanted to give me a Christmas gift!"

Blecccccccch!

• Love 3

Or as I called them -  Beethoven and his No Neck Step Dad. I wanted to reach through the screen and slap Beethoven around a little too hard. He apparently had his feather underpants on today because he could not stop laughing, up until the end of the case where he finally got wind of the fact that JJ had totally humiliated him on TV. Like he had called all his stalker buddies at the warehouse and said "heeeeeeey, watch me on TV!!" 

As for Blondie and Mr. Irby - what did he think? Some pretty young thing thinks he's sexxaaay so he has to put money in her account as an investment in their future? Does he not get it? 

Did anybody get the guy who got bailed out by his mother and step dad? The mother was another grinning idiot who thought her son's stank didn't stink. And the guy was countersuing because he had to pay probation fees because his step dad bailed him out instead of letting him rot in jail? Ungrateful little snot face. 

Have any of you court-ish type people ever seen that maneuver that people use to twist the arms of those in jail so they will say "OKAY ALREADY, BAIL ME OUT, I GIVE UP!!!!"

• Love 8

As for Blondie and Mr. Irby - what did he think? Some pretty young thing thinks he's sexxaaay so he has to put money in her account as an investment in their future? Does he not get it?

No..... He does not get it,.. Nor does he get any.

• Love 3

Or as I called them -  Beethoven and his No Neck Step Dad.

Bwahahahahhaha! Thanks, Patti! I just spewed lime Jello all over my iPad!

Did anybody get the guy who got bailed out by his mother and step dad? The mother was another grinning idiot who thought her son's stank didn't stink. And the guy was countersuing because he had to pay probation fees because his step dad bailed him out instead of letting him rot in jail? Ungrateful little snot face. 

Have any of you court-ish type people ever seen that maneuver that people use to twist the arms of those in jail so they will say "OKAY ALREADY, BAIL ME OUT, I GIVE UP!!!!"

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I was wondering why Stank was countersuing his stepfather. And that mother! "His common-law wife", indeed!

• Love 2

Here in Denver, they just cut into JJ with breaking news. Terrorist attack? High speed chase? Nope. Live footage of the Broncos' plane landing at DIA. Now they are split-screen showing Bronco fans hanging out at the training facility.

Sigh.

Now you know a small part of my hell for the past week. I'm so glad the Super Bowl won't be back here in San Francisco next year. It's been all Super Bowl all the time here. They would take the tiniest detail and make an hour long show out of it.

Judge Judy was preempted all week because of that damn game.

So glad it's over!!

I'm glad somebody else heard miss side pony tail say "controllive" instead of controlling.

JJ sure did shoot down Idiot number 2 down for his laughing. He looked embarrassed as hell when she called him out. I don't understand why Idiot number 1 wasn't telling him to shut the hell up.

Hi! I lurk here all the time but I don't think I've ever posted here.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 5

Oh god, I couldn't wait to get here tonight after all those crazy cases. I don't really have anything to add to all these astute observations and  heartwarming snark.

Catching up is going to take awhile.

I just have one request. Can someone fill me in on Mr. Pasamente and his mom... I mean his girlfriend? Got mixed up because g/f looked older than Mom and Mr. P. looked about 13. For some reason I only got the first part of this case.

Judge Judy never calls witnesses at the request of one of the parties.

Right. She knows if a litigants asks her to call someone, that person has been coached.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

I just have one request. Can someone fill me in on Mr. Pasamente and his mom... I mean his girlfriend? Got mixed up because g/f looked older than Mom and Mr. P. looked about 13. For some reason I only got the first part of this case.

Something about doing pull-ups (he meant chin-ups) at a bus shelter, apparently on some kind of bar in the shelter.  That may or may not have been illegal but he was noticed by the cops, and he had an outstanding warrant for a DUI in another county.  He told JJ that two weeks' jail time would have cleared it all up, and that he wanted to do the two weeks and have it over with -- he didn't want to be bailed out and have to be on probation.

Following that was the discussion about the grandson, which you probably caught.

• Love 2