Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Yes, but his son was a dum-dum. Who leaves a random backpack in a parking space? 

You mean the pit area?

I really wanted JJ to ask him why he didn't just have someone hold the Very Special Backpack for him, since he apparently brought the whole fam damily out to watch him race car drive around the parking lot.

• Love 3

I thought JJ's opening remarks in the guidance counselor case were particularly nauseating. From her expressions of smug self-satisfaction I am sure she is convinced that she was being witty and clever, but her heavy-handed sarcasm was just another manifestation of the preconceived biases she develops before even entering the courtroom and indicated there was absolutely no chance that the plaintiff's case would get a real hearing.

That haughty and uppity grandma may have been in the right in disposing of the young guy's possessions, but I got a feeling she coud have given anybody lessons in acting privileged and entitled to be judgmental about anyone she encounters. No wonder JJ felt so much sympathy for her.

• Love 3

I think Byrd is cool. Anyone okay in JJ's eyes is okay in mine!

Hey, teebax, count me in the Byrd fan club, too. He adds a little sumpthin-sumpthin to Judge Judy's courtroom mood.

Byrd's birthday is Nov. 29, this Saturday. Please join me in a virtual toast to Petri Hawkins-Byrd, TV's best bailiff. Cheers!

And Happy Thanksgiving to all in the U.S.!! (Happy Thursday to everyone else! The work week is almost over!)

• Love 4

Joining the Byrd fan club also. I get a kick out of his lack of interest in the drama, incoherence and stupidity displayed by so many of the litigants. I also agree that I believe he is extremely aware of anything going on that might require his intervention. Of all of the court bailiffs, I think grizzled old jaded Byrd would be the first to go hands-on if needed, with whatever level of force was needed. Sadly, if this ever happened I don't think we would get to see it, just hear about it on TMZ.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 4

Pitbull Gets A Taste Of Its Own Medicine: That's a change of routine! Gold-lamé disco era plaintiff sues for vet bills incurred after her pitbull was attacked by the defendant's 3 macaws.  The little girl that testified how the macaws came down at once to bite chunks off the pitbull's back only after the savage beast started to rough house her and scare her was a darling, but her mother was a certifiable screwball, were those curled up braids doubling as parrot perches?  Stop winking at Byrd, you loony tramp!

DJ Car Scratch: If you're going to hire some dicey dude from craigslist advertising his services as "DJ Car Scratch" of course you're going to get punked and all your guests' cars are going to be key'd.  Duh.  It's in the contract.  The plaintiff newlyweds were both heavily cross-eyed, they're going to bicker for years about each other's propensity to leer at attractive passers-by.  DJ Car Scratch showed off this great moves in the hallterview with his witness singing the drum machine with a pretend mike.  What is this, Ellen?

Things People Do To Themselves: JJ awarded the plaintiff the 5K, but she did rip her a new one.  I mean, what kind of party is that when a bunch of young ladies meet up at some dodgy motel to have actual lard injected in their butts?   Then they're shocked, SHOCKED! that their butts are all lumpy.  I paused on the blurred photographs... was he injecting bricks?  And this was before Kim Kardashian's Paper spread.  Dr Grease Needle had disappeared in the New Jersey wilderness of course, so she was suing the "party" organizer?  Case dismissed.

Rocky the Turkey: Whaaaa... people bet on turkey fights?  Turkeys fight?  People file small claims because they dispute which turkey was the winner?  I think this is the first time we see a litigant wearing a beaten down straw hat and jeans overalls to court... good grief... those teeth!  Erm... I'll let JJ tell you bunch of cousin-marrying, moonshine-brewing yokels that it's illegal.  Go back to holding up interstate traffic with your horse-drawn wagon.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 1

kind of party is that when a bunch of young ladies meet up at some dodgy motel to have actual lard injected in their butts?

Haven't watched yet, but this is a popular trend and they're injecting much worse things in their butts than lard, like industrial silicone. Big asses at any cost! wtf...The dumbing down of the population is making me feel I no longer wish to live on this planet.

• Love 2

so I closed my eyes and invented the perfect episodes!

I think you have something there!

One of the dogs broke loose and his owner would be the perfect JJ litigant, since she " quickly realized that HER WORLD WAS OVER FOREVER."

There must be someone she can sue for this "devastating" (yes, that is the word used) tragedy, since we know that whatever dumb stuff people do, it's always someone else's fault.

Can't you just see her in front of JJ, sobbing, "MY WORLD ENDED!!"?

3ia16Fw.jpg

• Love 2

I wasn't able to make it home for the holiday so I want to give a big ole Thank Ya to the Judge Judy gods who gave me the drunken knife fight in the sober living house. Listening to Cletus and Rollo go at it over who pulled a knife on who made me feel like I was home.

Happy Holidays!

• Love 2
ETA: It made me crazy in the '67 Impala case that JJ repeatedly called the thing a "60-year old car." I had to rewind the show to double check the year thinking maybe I misheard '57 as '67 but nope! You are a-wrong, Judge Judy!

Thank you, thnak you thank you, Giant Misfit. I just saw this one earlier today and had the same reaction. I kept yelling at the TV, and  driving my husband crazy.

When Byrd goes to get documents from either the plaintiff or defendant, I guess I always thought he just looked disgusted. And I don't mean only when someone's being a moron.  Maybe it's more disinterest.  Either way, I'd want to have him in my corner if someone went nuts. But I love, love, love me some JJ.  I have learned a lot from watching her.  1. Don't assume anything, get it in writing.  2. Make sure both parties have a super clear understanding of the parameters of a contract.  3. Don't ever co-sign, or lend money, if you can't afford to not get it back.  4.Take before pictures. 5. Keep your damn dog in your control.

• Love 4

'67 Impala case that JJ repeatedly called the thing a "60-year old car."

I overlooked that since I'm embarassingly bad with numbers, as JJ has admitted she is. They make my head go funny. I can't add two double digits numbers together without a pen or a calculator. I'm sure this has caused me to be cheated out of change on numerous occasions.

Like eskimo, I've learned a lot on this show, the most important (to me) being never EVER co-sign for anyone (not even your oldest friend), stay away from Craigslist, and get everything in writing. Most of the other stuff, like don't drive drunk, don't whack anyone upside the haid with firewood, try to have insurance and a license before you buy a car, don't go after your ex with an axe and don't move some guy in a day after you met him at a bar I kind of already knew though I see a good portion of the population has yet to learn.

• Love 3

Speaking of Byrd, I'm sure everyone noticed in today's rerun that he actually snatched the documents from the hands of Barton...useless Barton Miller ( who improbably created 5 children yet needs other people, including his mommy, to help him buy a car) in a really disgusted way. Byrd, I blame you not one bit. I just wish you could have smacked Barton across the face with those very papers.

• Love 5

JJ was screaming that Miller couldn't possibly have a car with an insurance under one person and ownership under another name.  I do that.  My mother's car is under my insurance, but she is the owner of the car.  This is because she doesn't have a license, and her previous insurer wouldn't let her keep the insurance that my father had started, once he died.  My insurance has no problem insuring her car under my name even though I have no ownership of the car.

But then, I live in California, which JJ apparently disdains.

She also was screaming at a previous litigant that nobody has to pay sales tax on a used car.  Uh, yes you do, in California.

• Love 3

JJ was screaming that Miller couldn't possibly have a car with an insurance under one person and ownership under another name.  I do that.  My mother's car is under my insurance, but she is the owner of the car.  This is because she doesn't have a license, and her previous insurer wouldn't let her keep the insurance that my father had started, once he died.  My insurance has no problem insuring her car under my name even though I have no ownership of the car.

She also was screaming at a previous litigant that nobody has to pay sales tax on a used car.  Uh, yes you do, in California.

If your carrier agreed to write a policy under your name for your mom's car make sure you have that documented in writing. I know it's unsolicited advice, and you can take it with a grain of salt, but JJ is actually right about that. You need to have an insurable interest in something. Otherwise, I could buy a policy on my neighbor's house and torch it for the insurance payout.

The question isn't whether or not they'll let you buy the coverage. I've learned from watching JJ that not all insurance agents are thorough. The issue usually comes up when there's a claim. They'll collect money from you all day, but getting them to pay a claim may be another story. Hence my suggestion to document that they're aware you don't own the car. I'm not saying it's not possible, just saying it's unusual. None of the carriers I represent will do it.

• Love 4

They've already paid one claim when a car rear-ended us.

That may have been because a rear end collision is usually the fault of the other driver, your insurance carrier may have collected from their insurer. If an accident happens that is your mom's fault, they may question it.

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 1

Rick Kitchen, I'm presuming that you (or someone in your household) are driving your mother's car, not your mother? If so, teebax is correct. Be sure the insurance company knows the situation so if you are ever in an accident, you won't have a kerfuffle when it's time for them to pay up.

In California, it's the buyer who pays the (exorbitant) sales tax to the DMV, not the seller. In that case, the seller said he had to pay it in his jurisdiction. He apparently had the paperwork to back up his story, even though he was a scammer and took advantage of the young lady. How can he think it's okay to sell the same car twice and keep the money both times?

• Love 1
They've already paid one claim when a car rear-ended us.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just saying it's really unusual. There are several reasons they don't like to do this, such as the scenario I mentioned above. JJ gave a great example of someone buying life insurance on a legal stranger. That would open up a Pandora's box of fraudulent claims. I remember watching a show on the ID Channel about a woman who took in boarders. She would buy life insurance on them, murder them, and then collect the premiums. This went on for years! Anyway, they finally caught her and arrested her.

Another issue is that an auto carrier wants to charge the correct premium for the correct driver. If I can buy insurance for someone else's car, they get the benefit of my zip code, which has low premiums, my good credit history, my clean driving record, etc. So if my cousin from Philly who's had a couple of DUIs, a license that is frequently suspended, multiple at-fault accidents, and never paid a bill on time in his life could insure his car under my policy for about $500 a year when his premium should be closer to $4,000 per year, the insurance company isn't collecting the right amount of premium for the risk.

The guy on the show had a Geico policy. There's nothing wrong with Geico, but I wonder if anyone there asked him if he actually owned the car. I get a copy of the title or the sales contract when one of my clients adds a vehicle or buys a new policy. I don't know if direct writers are being so diligent.

• Love 1

A few years ago my nephew couldn't get credit (even with a co-signer), due to bad credit so my sister bought a the car on her credit and he drove the car. When his job transferred him to Texas she had to send a notarized letter to the DMV, a copy of the title, and consent for him the drive and insure the car in Texas. A couple of years later he was sent to Florida and the same process was required for him to insure the car. Footnote: He matured never missed a payment and paid the car off. He was able this year to purchase a car in his name, the interest is a little high but he is on the right track.

• Love 2

A few years ago my nephew couldn't get credit (even with a co-signer), due to bad credit so my sister bought a the car on her credit and he drove the car. When his job transferred him to Texas she had to send a notarized letter to the DMV, a copy of the title, and consent for him the drive and insure the car in Texas. A couple of years later he was sent to Florida and the same process was required for him to insure the car. Footnote: He matured never missed a payment and paid the car off. He was able this year to purchase a car in his name, the interest is a little high but he is on the right track.

That seems fine to me, since the carrier had a chance to rate him based on his history. It's the people who don't tell the insurance company who is actually driving the car that end up having claims denied.

• Love 2

I can't believe sisters, much less TWIN sisters, would do this to each other!

The Pepper Spray twins get my vote for one of the most strangely creepy collection of litigants I've seen on JJ.  As if it wasn't enough for them both to look like Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?", they had to go and act out the plot too.  Yikes!

Whatever+Happened+to+Baby+Jane+Bette+(30

• Love 5

Speaking of Byrd, I'm sure everyone noticed in today's rerun that he actually snatched the documents from the hands of Barton...useless Barton Miller ( who improbably created 5 children yet needs other people, including his mommy, to help him buy a car) in a really disgusted way. Byrd, I blame you not one bit. I just wish you could have smacked Barton across the face with those very papers.

I laughed when Byrd got all cranky and told Barton something like "That's the Geico paper I pointed out in the first place!". Byrd knows his paperwork!

• Love 3

Hubby is in the non-standard auto insurance business, and they do business in California.  His company will insure a car owned by someone else, and then they exclude the owner as a driver so there are no premiums paid for the owner.  If it's a nice car with comp and collision, they might also list the owner as a lienholder so that any claims payouts go to the owner, not to the policyholder.

Haven't watched yet, but this is a popular trend and they're injecting much worse things in their butts than lard, like industrial silicone

I live in Broward County (South Florida). We have a trans-person (I'm not sure if he's had anything done but he used to look like a woman when he was arrested but since he's been in jail, he's looking manly) that injected Fix-A-Flat and cement in his butt. I think there was a touch of silicone (vision of some cackling witches  throwing eye of newt and miscellaneous garage items into a big cauldron for a booty party. As I am naturally overly endowed with a huge butt, I had a 30ish woman sidle up next to me at Publix and say "Break me off a piece of THAT" while pointing at my booty. 

I cannot stop laughing at Snarky Tart's Baby Jane picture. How creepy to be stuck in time with that old Southern Mamaw hairdo x two (she who dies with the biggest hair wins)

Did anyone have the weekend rerun with the stolen underwear sold on Craigslist/dog killed by pitbull cases episode? I can't believe that after the dog had bitten before, then bit the plaintiff and killed the plaintiff's girlfriend's dog, that the pitbull hadn't been put to sleep. That was absolutely insane. I typically don't like to judge books by their covers, but I have yet to have personal experiences with pitbulls that do not terrify me, and all of the cases on JJ do nothing to make my opinion of pitbulls any sunnier.

• Love 5

Hubby is in the non-standard auto insurance business, and they do business in California.  His company will insure a car owned by someone else, and then they exclude the owner as a driver so there are no premiums paid for the owner.  If it's a nice car with comp and collision, they might also list the owner as a lienholder so that any claims payouts go to the owner, not to the policyholder.

I think that's fine since they're excluding the questionable driver. The problem is when someone who is NOT excluded is driving under insurance that wasn't underwritten for them. That's what the carriers are trying to avoid. The guy in the JJ case wasn't excluded from his Geico policy.

Did anyone have the weekend rerun with the stolen underwear sold on Craigslist

Ah yes, the Time-Traveling, Underwear-Stealing Brooklyn Hipster Lesbians.  Time-traveling because each of the four women was dressed in the style of a different decade.  This may have been the first case of hipsters going on Judge Judy in order to get footage to be incorporated into a film project.

• Love 3

The first case -- the girl with purple streaks was simple and obviously had zero street smarts...that's the only way I can explain why she'd accept a job that hinged upon acceptance in a government program.  And, good grief, $11 a kid for in-home childcare (for a total of $22/hour)?!  That isn't really happening in the world, is it?

Ms. Palacio is a Sarah Palin look-alike.  Ugh, even her facial expressions.  And that bitch was rolling her eyes and making stankfaces at the fact that Mr. Roquemore adopted children who were deemed unwanted by the birth parents?! Don't get me started on her and her uppity friend who felt the need to guffaw after the ruling.  I didn't get the impression that Mr. R was milking the system, as others do.  He's out there working at a gas station, and he's aware of what his state offers to help him and the children that he cares for.  I give no shade to people who are aware of the resources that they are entitled to. The temp in the house was always over 105, she was too cheap to keep the AC in working order (he said it blew dirt), and again too cheap to run the AC (I'm assuming that a swamp cooler is an AC unit...I'm in Florida, but I have no idea what a swamp cooler is).   And she bitched about his offers to make improvements.  I can't blame him for moving his family out of there.  No AC in a warm climate can be dangerous.  I just wished that Mr. R was more organized and had all of the paperwork saved in a folder and ready to go for JJ.  

The first case in the second episode was especially disgusting, with all of that bloodshed.  The fact that the girl was so deathly pale just made it more ghoulish.  And then we had the spooktacular witness Samuel (who didn't really witness anything because he wasn't there).

Mustachioed Graham Joseph who likes startin' fires and hangin' out...I think he may have said, "Whatever, dude" after JJ gave the ruling.  Burnt bike owner Richie Trimble was correct when he said in his hallterview, "He needs to grow up." 

• Love 1

The temp in the house was always over 105, she was too cheap to keep the AC in working order (he said it blew dirt), and again too cheap to run the AC (I'm assuming that a swamp cooler is an AC unit...I'm in Florida, but I have no idea what a swamp cooler is).

I grew up in Nevada - a swamp cooler is NOT the same as an A/C unit. It sits on top of the house and cools air through evaporation of water. They are usually seen in drier desert type climates. They are cheaper to install and run but IMHO they don't work as well as a regular A/C unit (the kind we have in Florida which also take out the humidity). I remember the difference between when we had a swamp cooler in the 112 degree summer and when we got central A/C (the freon kind). From what I remember, the swamp cooler only lowered the temp about 15-20 degrees which if it's 115 outside, brings it down to about 90 or so in the house. 

Ah yes, the Time-Traveling, Underwear-Stealing Brooklyn Hipster Lesbians.  Time-traveling because each of the four women was dressed in the style of a different decade.  This may have been the first case of hipsters going on Judge Judy in order to get footage to be incorporated into a film project.

How much would y'all chip in to get the Time-Traveling Underwear-Stealing Brooklyn Hipster Lesbians and the Prospector, Mennonite and Rabbi in the same room at the same time?

• Love 4

I just wished that Mr. R was more organized and had all of the paperwork saved in a folder and ready to go for JJ.

He didn't have one single piece of paper or a scrap of evidence of any kind about anything, other than his word and his witness who wasn't there.

• Love 2

Ms. Palacio is a Sarah Palin look-alike.  Ugh, even her facial expressions.  And that bitch was rolling her eyes and making stankfaces at the fact that Mr. Roquemore adopted children who were deemed unwanted by the birth parents?! Don't get me started on her and her uppity friend who felt the need to guffaw after the ruling.  

That was the first time I found myself wishing I could magically transport myself into that courtroom and slap those loathsome people repeatedly and alternately. I would also have slapped the defendant, but only once, for stupidly not bringing any documentation as evidence.

• Love 2

The first case -- the girl with purple streaks was simple and obviously had zero street smarts...that's the only way I can explain why she'd accept a job that hinged upon acceptance in a government program. And, good grief, $11 a kid for in-home childcare (for a total of $22/hour)?! That isn't really happening in the world, is it?

Ms. Palacio is a Sarah Palin look-alike. Ugh, even her facial expressions. And that bitch was rolling her eyes and making stankfaces at the fact that Mr. Roquemore adopted children who were deemed unwanted by the birth parents?! Don't get me started on her and her uppity friend who felt the need to guffaw after the ruling. I didn't get the impression that Mr. R was milking the system, as others do. He's out there working at a gas station, and he's aware of what his state offers to help him and the children that he cares for. I give no shade to people who are aware of the resources that they are entitled to. The temp in the house was always over 105, she was too cheap to keep the AC in working order (he said it blew dirt), and again too cheap to run the AC (I'm assuming that a swamp cooler is an AC unit...I'm in Florida, but I have no idea what a swamp cooler is). And she bitched about his offers to make improvements. I can't blame him for moving his family out of there. No AC in a warm climate can be dangerous. I just wished that Mr. R was more organized and had all of the paperwork saved in a folder and ready to go for JJ.

The first case in the second episode was especially disgusting, with all of that bloodshed. The fact that the girl was so deathly pale just made it more ghoulish. And then we had the spooktacular witness Samuel (who didn't really witness anything because he wasn't there).

Mustachioed Graham Joseph who likes startin' fires and hangin' out...I think he may have said, "Whatever, dude" after JJ gave the ruling. Burnt bike owner Richie Trimble was correct when he said in his hallterview, "He needs to grow up."

Ghoulishly pale girl seemed drunk even in the courtroom. Anyone else notice a vague resemblance to Kylie Jenner?

• Love 2

Awesome!  It's Sarcastico!

Because of you, Sarcastico, I just spewed yogurt all over my laptop. Welcome back!

• Love 2

The first case in the second episode was especially disgusting, with all of that bloodshed.  The fact that the girl was so deathly pale just made it more ghoulish.  And then we had the spooktacular witness Samuel (who didn't really witness anything because he wasn't there).

Spooktacular, indeed! Did anyone notice that Christopher and Jessica, the plaintiff and defendant, looked about as opposite to one another as two people can look?

They wandered out of the casting call for the Addams Family movie remake, and landed on JJ's set instead. Chris was auditioning for Uncle Fester, Jessica for Wednesday Addams, and their witness Samuel wanted to audition for Eddie Munster, but got it mixed up.

Edited by Intocats
  • Love 2

And that bitch was rolling her eyes and making stankfaces at the fact that Mr. Roquemore adopted children who were deemed unwanted by the birth parents?! Don't get me started on her and her uppity friend who felt the need to guffaw after the ruling.

Eh, I felt a tad suspicious of Mr. Roquemore. Not that I don't believe people can and do adopt children or can have legit government assistance but stuff like government aided home repair? You know you have paper work for that.

• Love 3

The baby sitting girl had no street smarts, but dayum, JJ, not a penny for her?  There was something just so wrong there. At one point, JJ said the defendant had to pay her, and then she changed her mind.  

You can't allow someone to work unpaid for eight weeks.  You can't legally contract to work for nothing, or to work on spec that you might get something if defendant qualifies for a program.   She should have received the minimum wage, since crafty mother, who knew the system, fooled her.

• Love 6