Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Something about makeup, a prom, and unprofessionalism, but I can't focus because I'm too distracted by the wings tattoo on the defendant's neck. Yes, his neck. You know how wing tats are either decorative or meant to imply that this is where real ones would go on a body? They're the latter, except that if they were real wings, he'd be flying backwards dangling from the inside tips of his collarbone.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I thought the fund-raiser case was another instance of JJ being unfamiliar with the real world.  It's not rare for families to have memorial events for years after someone dies, and for funds to be raised for all kinds of things -- none of them scammy.  Neighbors whose teenage son was killed in a car accident have a motorcycle "fun run" to support a scholarship in their son's name.  My husband's son has a fund set up in his daughter's name (died at four months of a heart ailment) to help families with sick children pay for medical expenses, transportation, etc.  A nearby town has sponsored a golf tournament for twenty years, as a memorial for a popular resident who died of cancer -- funds go to different charities each year.  And that's not to mention all the legitimate GoFundMe events.

JJ -- just because someone has medical insurance doesn't mean all medical expenses are paid! 

That said, I think there was more to the story.  Why did the organizer bow out at the last minute?  What did he actually do, and did they use any of the vendors he lined up?  And why separate GoFundMe accounts for the same beneficiary? 

I get what you're saying, but there was something about all these various accounts that made me think it was a bit scammy, just like JJ did. It would seem more legit if there were a more concerted effort to consolidate all these drives so people can really see what's been collected.

• Love 8

I'm wondering if the family of that poor little kid with cancer were out spending that fundraising money on tattoes and Lime-a-Ritas.

Note to self: start a GoFundMe to support my Lime-A-Rita habit! 

Did dumb dumb Casey Anthony, Jr twice pronounce "meme" as "me-me?" 

I agree with teebax -- way too many GFM accounts for this one kid. I'd hate to think that people see a kid with a terminal illness as their own personal cash cow, but I've seen enough JJ episodes to know better. 

Edited by Guest
19 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

She said "me-me" twice and "meme" once. 

The plaintiff who sued the butterfly-neck makeup artist -- I don't agree with JJ's ruling.  Plaintiff gets her non-refundable deposit back because she's not 100% sure that the makeup guy will show up.  There are no guarantees in this world, lady. 

On the other hand, why couldn't the guy take care of his family emergency (picking up his brother's baby at day care) and then go do the makeup?  Was the timing that critical?  I wish JJ would have asked. 

• Love 1

I think JJ was leery of the defendant, too, with 17 years of fundraising, but no idea what the money was for. I'd think if you spend 17 years working with a family you'd know (or want to know) a little bit about their "foundation" or "scholarship" or whatever. Presumably medical and burial expenses would be long gone, so I'd wonder what the funds were for. It probably wouldn't affect my participation, unless it was obviously just a money-grab.

I did like how JJ awarded the money to the family, instead of the plaintiff. And if it was all legit, how sad to have it played out in JJ's courtroom.

The whole thing was just a little too iffy.  Nice to see a non-dog bite/fence line/landlord-tenant case!

And this:

Trying on my new avatar and delivering a gift (an audio excerpt) to you all: Bean

Thank you!  Having never seen the PB case (GRRRRR!!!), it was nice to hear a tidbit!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

She said "me-me" twice and "meme" once. 

Really? 'Cause I'm almost sure she said "mee-mee" at least 4 times. Have I been pronouncing it wrong all this time?!!

2 hours ago, SandyToes said:

Nice to see a non-dog bite/fence line/landlord-tenant case!

I did appreciate that today's cases weren't the 'typical' JJ cases.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

The fundraising case went on and on and made no sense. I looked away for a while to read the paper. Looked up. Still on. Still made little sense, but I was glad the real beneficiaries would get the money. 

Most boring case ever.  The litigants were calm.  Too calm.  And both seemed a bit shifty so there was no one to really root for. Plaintiff's smiley face did not fool me at all.

16 minutes ago, Trini said:

Really? 'Cause I'm almost sure she said "mee-mee" at least 4 times. Have I been pronouncing it wrong all this time?!!

Same here.  I don't remember anyone pronouncing it meem, but as noted above...it was a dull episode and I may have tuned out at certain points.   Although I was alert enough to hear the defendant - upon giving JJ the offending me-me - saying he had no proof the defendant created them.  Moron.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I did appreciate that today's cases weren't the 'typical' JJ cases.

Meme as in internet fad? No, it's meem, from memetic, the same way gene comes from genetic.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Milz said:

Arrrrgggghhhhh! School just started and I have car pool duty this week. I'm missing the new episodes.......*sob*.............

OMG. The school where I teach has been back since July 27th. Sorry you missed the new episodes. It was refreshing not to see a dog bite case.

• Love 1

I have a very precise manner of speaking, (although sometimes my passion sneaks in, and my age as well) and I've always needed to hear the english language spoken precisely.  Just the way I was taught (Catholic schools, etc)  English was my favorite subject, that, and spelling.  So, when I hear the language I love so well shredded on a daily basis, it makes me grind my teeth and utter terrible swear words.  This mee-mee thing, for instance.  That girl said mee-mee four times, and she never said meme.  I know, I know, language evolves and you have to change with the times, BUT!  If the "evolved" words and phrases are ugly and discordant to my ear. I refuse to hear it.  I'm too old for that, and I'm sort of glad I won't be around to see the sum total of English be reduced to 140 characters on a keyboard.  Rant over.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I have a very precise manner of speaking, (although sometimes my passion sneaks in, and my age as well) and I've always needed to hear the english language spoken precisely.  Just the way I was taught (Catholic schools, etc)  English was my favorite subject, that, and spelling.  So, when I hear the language I love so well shredded on a daily basis, it makes me grind my teeth and utter terrible swear words.  

Same here.  And add diagramming sentences to the list.  Right now two things make my blood boil:  "on accident" and "adulting".

I've never heard English mangled as much as I have on JJ.  Have these people never tooken English?  

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Albino said:

"on accident"

This is definitely one of the blood-boiling phrases!  I have never heard "adulting" yet, though.  I could list my pet peeves, but I think I would be here at this computer the rest of the day!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Albino said:

Same here.  And add diagramming sentences to the list.  Right now two things make my blood boil:  "on accident" and "adulting".

I've never heard English mangled as much as I have on JJ.  Have these people never tooken English?  

Heh.  Today's first class meeting, and I have students do an ice breaker to get to know each other. Student A comes up, "Me and Bob...." and I stop, him, shocked, and say, "Mean Bob? He was mean to you!?"  heh.  Instant correction.  :-)    All in fun, and a good group, so no harm, no foul.

Personal irritant - mixing "me" and "I."  (Hence my correction above!)  We try and teach against the "Me and Bob" but it gets over-generalized such that "me" is no longer an allowable word.    "The stars were shining brightly on Bob and me."  Today's grammar lesson brought to you by quotation marks!  

Show?  Oh, yeah!  Today's early rerun with the two money/drug guys.  For being Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber, at least they were polite, well-spoken and respectful.

New shows today! And I'm home alone, so I can indulge without anyone gettin' in my business.  Bring on the wine!

• Love 3

OhioSb, bring the good stuff!

Today's case - Eboni and Mr. No-License - anyone else get a vibe they were looking for more free money? Guy's been in the justice system often enough that he can't get a drivers' license, but can get a good enough job to afford two flat screen TVs, laptops, cars??

And the cell phone(s) case - $775 for a phone?!  Seriously?  Is that something that most "students" who work one day a week usually purchase? I totally get that my values and money appreciation are not the same as everyone else's, but honestly!  We see soooo many people on this show who seem to have no idea how money works, savings works, or how "work" works! Where do they get the cash, or find the merchants who are willing to sell them things on credit?  Wait. Never mind. I don't want to know.  Our state curriculum standards now include Financial Responsibility. I laughed at first, but it seems to make a little more sense now. Guess our legislators watch a lot of JJ, too.

It's like a whole 'nother world out there. Or I'm just old. 

The millennial/landlord case - I can see exactly where the money problem was, and why it should always, always, always be in writing. How do people not do that?!

• Love 2

I thought both Ms. "MeeMee" and the biker dude were sketchy. I think JJ did right on that one.

As far as Mr. Castle, first, I was disappointed his first name wasn't Frank. But I honestly wonder if he didn't have some sort of age-related cognitive issues because he just didn't seem to be all there in his reasoning.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Trini said:

I was joking, BTW. I know it's pronounced.  :)

I remember when it first hit Usenet - pre Internet! - and nobody was quite sure :)

4 hours ago, SandyToes said:

OhioSb, bring the good stuff!

Today's case - Eboni and Mr. No-License - anyone else get a vibe they were looking for more free money? Guy's been in the justice system often enough that he can't get a drivers' license, but can get a good enough job to afford two flat screen TVs, laptops, cars??

I suspect Rent-to-own is involved. Or Rent-until-repo, anyway.

• Love 2

I didn't understand why JJ gave that plaintiff any money at all, let alone the whole $5K.   The woman let a drunk -- with no license -- drive her car! 

Sorry -- I quoted the wrong case and can't get rid of the box. 

5 hours ago, SandyToes said:

never mind

In the cell phone case, I thought the redhead was trying to explain to JJ that she didn't just buy her cousin a phone, she also paid the monthly bills, the contract.  Did I misinterpret? 

Cousin's smirking -- 'I got yer man!' -- got on my last nerve.

• Love 2

It's not $770 for a phone; it's $32 a month for 24 months, or however the math works out. You and I know that's still $770, but your average JJ litigant doesn't think that way. Hence the rent-to-own contracts they get themselves into.

Incidentally, I recently bought a new cell phone. It's a Google Nexus 6p, and it's the nicest phone I've ever owned. I was showing it to a friend of mine and mentioned it was $400. She was shocked I paid that much for a phone. I asked her how much her Samsung Galaxy S7 was, and she said, "It's only $32 a month!" 

No, I don't know why I'm friends with her...

• Love 13
18 hours ago, Brattinella said:

HATE HATE HATE Mister Cassel!

AHA!  Mr Cassel refers to the plaintiff as "The Millenial"!  THERE'S his trouble!  Yeesh.  Talk about a slumlord.

I was having trouble following the entire crux of his logic until the halterview.   Mr. Cassel goes:  he was planning on spending the night to say he lived there (is this not called moving in anymore?), pay for that night and spend the next 8 months living rent free.  Um, he paid for a month he never got the chance to spend there, nevermind 8.   How were you injured by a thing that never happened?  And why presume it was going to?   Oh yeah, because, millennials are entitled "they" all do it.   Whatever bitter ass thing some whippersnaper did to this old man, it wasn't this guy.  p.s. if your prospective tenant is pointing out how dirty your blinds are, you're nasty.  

12 hours ago, Jamoche said:

I remember when it first hit Usenet - pre Internet! - and nobody was quite sure :)

I suspect Rent-to-own is involved. Or Rent-until-repo, anyway.

So did JJ until he clarified that he used a debit card, it was paid for in cash.  The only outstanding payments are for the car, says he.

The look of utter (I was about to call it disregard) indifference about driving unlicensed made me feel like the nerd I am.   Silly old vehicular regulations like being street legal and traceable are just for squares.   JJ said what are you doing with a car you can't drive?  And he was like, what a dumbass question, I'm going to work, I gotta get to work.    ::pinchesbridgeofnose:: 

At first I thought he meant being "in the system" stopped him from reinstating his license but it sounds like he's never had one.  I missed it, did he say why not?   I couldn't decide if he's better or worse than the bmw drunk driving car crash case.  51 years old and out drinking all day.  GTFOHWTBS.

The lady with the phone was frustrating as hell about how she was explaining whether or not it had been paid for.  Even more annoying was JJ seeking the answer.   Please shut it for long enough to hear her sputter that the payment isn't outright, it's in contracted installments that haven't yet been satisfied.  I can't stand for people to ask a question then talk all over you before you can answer it.   

The cousin has super low self esteem or there's a ratio problem where they live, because she is not winning.  I'd love to fly on the wall the next family cookout though. 

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

What channel(s) does Judge Judy air on, and how often? I've finally caught up with all the hilarity here, but the IMDB listing for the show says it only comes on on Sundays. Is it in syndication on other networks?

Go to judgejudy.com and in the upper right, enter your state and it lists the large cities and channel/time it is shown. 

Edited by Spunkygal
Stoopid autocorrect!
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

So did JJ until he clarified that he used a debit card, it was paid for in cash.  The only outstanding payments are for the car, says he.

From a friend who found it when it "fell off a truck"? Or like the people in front of me trying to load up prepaid debit cards from a credit card at the grocery late one night? It failed every time, but that locked up the register, so pack up my stuff, head for another register, and there they are in front of me doing it *again*.

• Love 2

Now, now, ya'll is that nice?  Lol.   While procedural behavior may not be his strong suit, consider that he and his babymuvva have two children, she's got a house full of depreciating assets and an extra, though non functional, car and he seemed pretty passive about the fact that she doesn't work.  Money didn't seem to be his issue, he objected to the possibility that his means to work was about to be impacted.  He said he paid with a card.  Judy referred to that as cash.

• Love 1

Forgot to mention, yesterday's episode with the drunk crashing plaintiff's car -- another case of 'I bought it from a stranger on the street'.  That case continues to bug me.  If drunk driver had killed someone, the car owner would be on the hook, wouldn't she? 

I hope plaintiff had more proof than what we saw, because as it is, I could go on JJ with a photo of a wrecked car and get paid for whatever value Byrd finds in the book.  Did she own it?  How did she pay for it?  Where's the title?  Did she have insurance? 

• Love 2

Seems today's cases all had something to do with cars. Even the roommate case had a car element, though it really didn't have anything to do with the case.

First up, girl put a thousand buck deposit on used car, changed her mind over night, and wants deposit back. Lots of times the deposit is nonrefundable, but JJ decided seller was fishy, and ended up ordering the deposit returned. I have to agree with the decision this time. Car had been on the market for 8 weeks, but when the plaintiff went to check the car out defendant suddenly had buyers all over the place. Plaintiff gave JJ a stack of text messages to show the seller agreed at one point to return the deposit, then seller cut off communication. It hurt the defendant that his hand written receipt for the 1000 bucks just said she was supposed to bring the rest of the money back the next day. But what really sunk his case is that he said he sold the car two days later for the full asking price. Nope, judges don't like it when litigants try to keep a deposit, and almost immediately sell something for full price.

Next up was couple who bought a car from private party, didn't pay in full, and are suing because seller took back the car. Don't think anybody set out to cheat, but nobody knew what they were doing and of course nothing in writing. They disagree on when the car was to be paid off, but agree it took much longer than it was supposed to. Plaintiffs are arguing defendants agreed to give them more time when they had money troubles. Well, maybe, but when then they got a ticket the defendant got the bill because the car registration was never changed. (Guess these folks never thought of having the buyers register the car with sellers having a lien on it.) Plaintiffs promised to take care of the ticket, but didn't, late charges piled on and eventually defendant's license was suspended. Understandably defendants got upset, and repo-ed the car. Plaintiffs want back all the money they paid for the car, while defendants want money for the ticket. JJ dismisses the case, telling plaintiffs to just consider the car as a rental for which they paid $200 a month for a year. And she orders the plaintiffs to pay their own fines. I just wonder who paid the insurance?

Next, sis suing bro for taking her car, driving while drinking (with her niece in the car) and causing damage. Bro was sneaky when he took the car. Texted sis at work on mom's phone asking to borrow the car to take niece to the mall to shop for shoes. Sis gives permission, but thinks she's giving mom permission, not the brother. So, when she gets off, sis walks the block to mom's place to get her car ... mom's there, but no car. When bro finally brings car back there's alcohol spilled in the car, and come to find out he used it to go visit baby's momma (JJ let's us know she is not a fan of "baby momma/daddy"). JJ gets guy to admit to 1 beer, then orders him to pay up.

Last case is really about roommate feud, but cars do make an appearance. Girl is suing her male roommate for loan and rent. (Two bedroom, so just roommates not sharing a bed.) Supposedly they were going in as partners flipping cars bought at auctions. Somehow, dude was making money off the partnership, while girl wasn't. She let him charge $600+ on her credit, and she fronted getting apartment furnished and livable. They had a fight, which turned physical where he assaulted her and damaged walls and door in the apartment. He left before she could file for a restraining order. Sounded like she had a pretty good case going, right up until JJ asked for the police report about the assault. Don't people expect judges to read their "evidence"? What she passes up has nothing to do with an assault, instead it's a whole list of complaints we haven't heard anything about before now. Included in the new list is an allegation that defendant took advantage of plaintiff knowing of her "mental illness". Oops, big goof, now it looks like plaintiff has all these complaints and is just cherry picking what she expects has the best chance of getting her some money. JJ decides plaintiff is more than a little nuts, and discounts her testimony dismissing the case. Dude probably did take advantage, but I sort of agree that it's hard to fix a dollar amount for damages after reading that off the wall statement she provided. JJ asked for a police report about an assault and got everything but an assault. I would have made him pay for his own clothes, which he admitted she bought him, and made him pay a reasonable amount of rent until she had time to advertise and find a new roommate (ok, she didn't want another roommate, but I would have made him pay a couple months). 

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Next, sis suing bro for taking her car, driving while drinking (with her niece in the car) and causing damage. Bro was sneaky when he took the car. Texted sis at work on mom's phone asking to borrow the car to take niece to the mall to shop for shoes. Sis gives permission, but thinks she's giving mom permission, not the brother. So, when she gets off, sis walks the block to mom's place to get her car ... mom's there, but no car. When bro finally brings car back there's alcohol spilled in the car, and come to find out he used it to go visit baby's momma (JJ let's us know she is not a fan of "baby momma/daddy"). JJ gets guy to admit to 1 beer, then orders him to pay up.

The brother's way of speaking was driving me crazy, because he kept saying that he texted his sister from 'my mother house' instead of 'my mother's house', and that his sister became 'historical' when she found out he'd taken the car. I liked how JJ corrected him - "Historical is what happened in the past, hysterical is when someone becomes very upset" - but man, the guy was making me want to throw things.

• Love 11

Y'all. . . I am so grateful to be back in the Land of Snark with my JJ compadres. New cases! New weirdos! New vocabulary and grammar trainwrecks!

My annoying grammatical gaff is when people say "due to the fact of" instead of "because". Why so many words? It makes me historical/hysterical. 

Anybody notice the head jewelry from the bedbug plaintiff (I think it was that case). She appeared to have some kind of thing she was using as a forehead band that looked like a vinyl choker bought at Claire's that's supposed to be around a neck. Gave her a distinct "Frankenstein/ Frankenstella" look. Like somebody popped her head off, stole her brain and then sewed her head back on with some black trussing thread. 

I nearly peed my pants from laughter. I'm old but even I know it's MEEEME. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

My annoying grammatical gaff is when people say "due to the fact of" instead of "because". Why so many words? It makes me historical/hysterical. 

Lmao. This drives me insane too. My guess is they are trying to sound smart because they're in a "formal" setting, but all it does is make them look ridiculous.

They'll say something like, "Myself and the plaintiff proceeded to drive the vehicle to my place of employment where we got into an altercation."

All they have to say is "Bob was driving me to work and we got into a fight." 

So much easier.

Edited by WhoaWhoKnew
  • Love 6

I believe it was three times. I was like, "bitch if you say me-me one more time you're officially doing vocal warm-ups". Not only was she saying it wrong, but she was repeating it for no good reason. She was like, "THIS IS A ME-ME AND I DID NOT CREATE THIS ME-ME AND I DID NOT SEND...THIS ME-ME". I guess she differentiates between the two, because memes are funny. That town-crier shit he received was neither funny nor clever.

1st case: Dogs? Whatever.

2nd case: Hicks? Whatever.

3rd case: Landlords? Whatever.

4th case: Igbo? Whatever.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I thought that headband thingie was a stretched out old-fashioned telephone cord!

I thought at first that it was a tattoo.  So glad to see that it wasn't. 

I sympathized with the plaintiff in today's car case -- the guy whose friend drove his car, did some damage, and actually paid the insurance deductible (good for him!).  The body damage had been repaired, but when the car was first driven, it was discovered that the transmission was also damaged, and defendant wanted more money.  JJ didn't believe that the mechanic/repair shop wouldn't have noticed the damaged transmission.  She's not a mechanic!  I don't think you can tell by looking at a transmission if it's okay or not.  And if the guy drove into a snowbank, or ice, or whatever it was, it's possible that a tranny would be damaged.

I think plaintiff was trying to give JJ some evidence of the transmission damage -- he was waving a paper around -- but she wasn't listening. 

Edited by AuntiePam
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, SandyToes said:

The dog case baffled me.  What was she wanting the DNA to show/not show? What was she testing for? And why? Just weird.

I'll never understand people who stress over their animals' bloodlines, so I have no clue what her beef was. Evidently, whatever it was lowered the value of the puppy 5 grand. I may be stepping in it here, but it makes even less sense to me when people are breeding animals knowing they will have health problem. Bulldog breeders are breeding dogs for the big head and narrow body, just about guaranteeing complicated births requiring a c-section. Normally small litters, I understand, but even 3 or 4 of the DNA deficient puppies at 10 grand a piece is big bucks that could be saving lots of shelter animals. Give me a shelter rescue any day!

• Love 9