Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

Whoops.  Y'all borrowed me a duplicate post.  

I'll repay you as soon as I get my student loans.

I also have a settlement check I'm expecting.

Edited by NYCFree
  • Love 6
(edited)

In the fence case I think the problem the plaintiff had in suing is based on the contribution from the defendant.  The plaintiff agreed the defendant paid $700, but the plaintiff paid the lion's share of $4,100 (I believe). Once the plaintiff paid for part, I think he should have some say in what he sees from his side.  If the plaintiff wanted complete autonomy in everything about the fence, then don't ask anyone to chip in.

I also don't believe the plaintiff when he stated that the defendant had to trespass on the plaintiff's property in order to paint the side.  There is no way that controlling man would set back a fence so far into his property, thus giving up access to his own land.  Even a six inch setback is readily available to a person, standing at the edge of the adjoining property, to reach out and paint the side without ever stepping on the other property.

Edited by NYCFree
  • Love 7

Yeah...1' onto your prop is nothing.  If you are a control freak like the pl he would have that puppy right on the line.  When we built our house the farmer who had leased our land (4 acres) and next door (12 acres) for farming  told me our driveway (which was  his access to the property next door and ours) wasn't on our property.  We were at the end of the driveway (at the road) and I took my foot and pointed out the surveyor's spike.  Shut him up.  Wish you could have seen his face.  No problem since.. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I had to laugh when DefCon5-level Asshole Neighbor complained about having his weapons taken away when he's crying like a bitch that a handicapped man threw a fucking can (of Pepsi!) at him -- in his own home! So, it's OK to have an armory at your disposal in your own home to "protect yourself" but some other guy can't even heave a can of carbonated high-fructose corn syrup at you in his to protect himself against you? I can't quite make the math work out in my head about that, Second Amendment Man with Micropenis.

My next-door neighbors are lovely people. There's a tree in their backyard that was planted way too close to my property line by the shrew who lived there years ago -- probably to fuck with me because she was a busybody know-it-all to whom I would never disclose any personal information no matter how much she tried to pry because a.) I didn't like her; and b.) again, I make it a standard to never socialize with neighbors beyond a "hi, how are you?" and "Merry Christmas!" should I see them in their driveway on the holiday. Anyway, the tree is a total and complete nuisance. Its flowers (when in bloom) fall over my deck and its furniture. It creates massive amounts of pollen that need to be power-washed away every few weeks and the branches are nearly in my bedroom window. I've offered several times at my own expense to have it removed. They declined and promised, at some point, to take it out.  And you know what? Whatever. I hate the fucking tree and all the ensuing work it creates for me that I don't feel like doing but it certainly doesn't make me want to start World War III with them. I have way more interesting things to do with my time. Take note, Second Amendment Man.

Edited by Guest

I had to laugh when DefCon5-level Asshole Neighbor complained about having his weapons taken away when he's crying like a bitch that a handicapped man threw a fucking can (of Pepsi!) at him

AND crying like a bitch that his dear mother's memory was being defiled. His weapons: The thought of people with such hair-trigger tempers having guns is frightening. OTOH, I have to wonder if he would have stormed the neighbour's house had the man been 50 years old and six feet tall, instead of someone who appeared to be very frail and in his mid-eighties.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

I had to laugh when DefCon5-level Asshole Neighbor complained about having his weapons taken away when he's crying like a bitch that a handicapped man threw a fucking can (of Pepsi!) at him -- in his own home! So, it's OK to have an armory at your disposal in your own home to "protect yourself" but some other guy can't even heave a can of carbonated high-fructose corn syrup at you in his to protect himself against you? I can't quite make the math work out in my head about that, Second Amendment Man with Micropenis.

My next-door neighbors are lovely people. There's a tree in their backyard that was planted way too close to my property line by the shrew who lived there years ago -- probably to fuck with me because she was a busybody know-it-all to whom I would never disclose any personal information no matter how much she tried to pry because a.) I didn't like her; and b.) again, I make it a standard to never socialize with neighbors beyond a "hi, how are you?" and "Merry Christmas!" should I see them in their driveway on the holiday. Anyway, the tree is a total and complete nuisance. Its flowers (when in bloom) fall over my deck and its furniture. It creates massive amounts of pollen that need to be power-washed away every few weeks and the branches are nearly in my bedroom window. I've offered several times at my own expense to have it removed. They declined and promised, at some point, to take it out.  And you know what? Whatever. I hate the fucking tree and all the ensuing work it creates for me that I don't feel like doing but it certainly doesn't make me want to start World War III with them. I have way more interesting things to do with my time. Take note, Second Amendment Man.

I'm on a hi and bye with my neighbors too. My home is my respite from all the bullshit I deal with on a daily, so making close friends with my neighbors isn't something I want to do, lest we have an argument about something that could lead to it being awkward.

• Love 5

Yeah...we keep to ourselves, too.  We're in the country obviously and our house is 300' off the road (a bitch in the winter).  All the houses here are far spaced so we only see folks walking on the road when we are coming or going and maybe slow down, roll down the window and 'conversate' briefly.

The wedding video case....I hope what we saw wasn't all there was to it. That wedding was really nice.  The cake, venue, flowers, etc, these guys have good taste.  But as has been stated ya pay $250 ya gonna get a $250 video.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

AND crying like a bitch that his dear mother's memory was being defiled.

Oh, dear god with that bit of theatrics. The man should replace all of his "weapons" with a fainting couches. 

The man should replace all of his "weapons" with a fainting couches. 

I can't remember, but did he put his hand over his heart and bow his head as he spoke of his sainted mom? I'm sure he rehearsed in the mirror before court.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

My next-door neighbors are lovely people. There's a tree in their backyard that was planted way too close to my property line by the shrew who lived there years ago -- probably to fuck with me because she was a busybody know-it-all to whom I would never disclose any personal information no matter how much she tried to pry because a.) I didn't like her; and b.) again, I make it a standard to never socialize with neighbors beyond a "hi, how are you?" and "Merry Christmas!" should I see them in their driveway on the holiday. Anyway, the tree is a total and complete nuisance. Its flowers (when in bloom) fall over my deck and its furniture. It creates massive amounts of pollen that need to be power-washed away every few weeks and the branches are nearly in my bedroom window.

You can cut down anything that hangs over your property line, and that would also include digging down to the roots and killing any of those that are over your line.  Oh, what, that killed your tree?  Oh, so sorry!

• Love 4

God love ya, man. But I possess neither the tools nor the know-how to cut its branches. Although, I do recall right after the hag planting it, remarking that the thing was gonna be trouble one day and nearly bought some lime powder to kill it then. But laziness won out and here I am, a decade later, complaining about it still. :)

God love ya, man. But I possess neither the tools nor the know-how to cut its branches. Although, I do recall right after the hag planting it, remarking that the thing was gonna be trouble one day and nearly bought some lime powder to kill it then. But laziness won out and here I am, a decade later, complaining about it still. :)

Jeezuz, Mr. and Mrs. Boggs didn't have a functioning brain between them.  Nor one complete personality.

"Why did you break her phone?"

"For despite."

JJ asked three times what he said, he kept repeating it, even when Byrd said "for spite."  Mr. Boggs was so proud, like he had taught Byrd a new word.

• Love 9
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Quof said:

Mr. and Mrs. Boggs didn't have a functioning brain between them.  Nor one complete personality.

Seriously.  I just don't know what to say.

They can barely speak English.  They sound like moaning animals.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 4

Not to throw shade on Mrs. B's appearance, but they did put me in mind of one (or more) of the dysfunctional families on My 600 lb Life.  They "stayed together for the child"; god help that poor boy, I hope he has some higher functioning adults in his life.

• Love 4

The Boggs couldn't get their shit together for one full minute in life. Married, divorced, married, divorced, couchsurfing, "flea market sales," nonstop stupidity, etc. Let's not forget their sugar gliders --- those poor animals should be left alone to live their normal lives in the rainforests. And I think the Boggs' child would also be better off living in the rainforest without those two morons. 

• Love 7

The Boggs couldn't get their shit together for one full minute in life

I had to pause this mid-case. It just re-affirms my belief in humanity to see this lovely couple. Miz Boggs is too disabled to work at a job of any kind and lives with her grandparents. The conditions were ripe to consort with Mr.Boggs, (who "does flea markets" and seems to be mentally challenged) and produce offspring. I'm so glad that Mizz Boggs, who cannot work, does have the energy to carry around all that weight, get it on with her little stud muffin, carry and give birth to a baby and then care for a toddler. If she weren't so disabled, she may have had to earn her own living and might not have had the energy for all that!  What a tragedy had they not been able to reproduce and pass on those stellar genes.

I barely paid attention to the car crashing case, except for "My insurance over-lapped. It had lapped." Well, of course it had!

But I possess neither the tools nor the know-how to cut its branches.

Go to any Home Depot and purchase branch-lopping shears. You don't need any know-how or even any strength. Trust me, these things make it easy.

• Love 9

But whom will I sue when I fall off the ladder? 

I haven't seen today's Bogg family situation, but as an avid Hoarders fan, anytime I hear, "I do flea markets," I can't help but think that person also "does" bags of their own urine and poo shoved into a closet. 

10 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I had to laugh when DefCon5-level Asshole Neighbor complained about having his weapons taken away when he's crying like a bitch that a handicapped man threw a fucking can (of Pepsi!) at him -- in his own home!

This might be the greatest sentence I have read this year.

Was today finally the episode with one of our fellow poster's ex-husband? I'm on vacation with my family, and the name and situation sounded familiar, so I made them all shut up during that case. ;) It was probably the most interesting case out of the new ones today, save for perhaps the "for despite" line.

• Love 3

But whom will I sue when I fall off the ladder? 

Oh, I have confidence you'll figure out how to make it someone else's fault and then sue that person. Don't forgot to add your pain, suffering, PTSD, chiropractor/psychiatrist bills and permanent disability! That should take you to a nice round 5K.

• Love 3

But the terms of your settlement will be confidential, also known as "Don't let the gubermnet know I have money cuz they'll cut off my benefits."

• Love 5
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I barely paid attention to the car crashing case, except for "My insurance over-lapped. It had lapped." Well, of course it had!

ZING! There it goes!!!!

4 hours ago, Quof said:

I may need to take a break from this show, for the sake of my blood pressure.

And people scoff when I say I watch this show with a jug of wine! ha!

Haven't seen these beauties today yet, but I'm looking forward to it! Got my beverage ready, for darn sure.

• Love 2

Wow, Mr Bogg sets a halterview record with three "It is what it is", which as we all know is defendant-speak for "nobody believed my lies."

I doubt he could formulate anything more complex. His former spouse stood there slobbering and sobbing. She started the waterworks in the courtroom, but her croc tears dried up when she got no sympathy from JJ.  Gotta give Ms.Boggs credit. She certainly knows her way around the system.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, augmentedfourth said:

Was today finally the episode with one of our fellow poster's ex-husband? I'm on vacation with my family, and the name and situation sounded familiar, so I made them all shut up during that case. ;) It was probably the most interesting case out of the new ones today, save for perhaps the "for despite" line.

Hey, I think you are right! I had forgotten about this since we thought it would air weeks ago but yes, same situation and same unusual name. There sure were a lot of discrepancies. Witness said he didn't live with him immediately after leaving defendant's house, then plaintiff said he did. Everyone involved had issues and seemed shady. And like JJ, I believed bits and pieces of both sides. This show sure highlights that there are a lot of people who rent a room in other people's houses. I hope the poster returns to give her spin on it!

• Love 3

Re: The Boggs case:  I kind of think that maybe they weren't deliberately scamming the system, but, instead, seem to think this is how they system actually works.  We see so many scammers on this show, but every now and then someone who just really seems to think this is all normal.  Le sigh.  Really, really, wonder what kind of lawsuit settlement. Must not have been for much, if she's back to being destitute.

• Love 2

And what kind of lawsuit is one forbidden to even discuss existed? In most cases, the settlement itself is confidential but not the circumstances of the suit, right? My guess is she's a "trip and faller" I'm also kind of annoyed JJ didn't ask her the almighty question, "What's the nature of your disability?" 

And her mother looked like her daughter. 

Finally, how do nearly homeless and homeless people afford to buy sugar gliders?! Wouldn't their money be better spent investing in a stable living environment? 

Finally, I don't think the first "divorce" ever happened. I think that was a SSD scam as well. 

(edited)

And her mother looked like her daughter. 

Only younger.

Finally, I don't think the first "divorce" ever happened. I think that was a SSD scam as well.

Of course it was. Her disability money was being cut off. Probably never got married again either.

Was today finally the episode with one of our fellow poster's ex-husband?

That was him? Wow, I see what the poster meant. She's lucky he's her ex-husband.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 7:31 PM, Katt said:

What the frig is an "Accent Honda"? Technically, the security guard did NOT see that dude's car because it doesn't exist!

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 7:37 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

Honda Accent. Still no such thing, though.  :D

That part was rubbing me the wrong way.  It's a HYUNDAI Accent, not Honda, Judy!  I guess if it's not "Cadillac", then she doesn't know her car models.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:25 PM, BellaLugosi said:

Did any of you catch the rerun today? A 17 year old rented a vacation home with his mom's stolen credit card. Doesn't Judy usually say that a minor can't enter into a contract? I think she was mad because the kid lied to her. I don't know what the kid was saying at the end.

"She should be more careful about who she rents her house to." (True, you are a putz.)

"This could happen any day any time." (So someone broke in & had a party while you weren't at the house you rented, it wasn't that you went there with your idiot friends and made a mess.)

"A lot of people are dishonest in this country" (Yeah, like you, thief.)

Then he says he learned not to do this again. Except he didn't, because he's still lying. And mom is defending him & not teaching him right from wrong. UGH.

My husband said he believed that his mom initially did tell him he could use her credit card to book the house, then thought better of it, or had a fight with him and cancelled it.

• Love 1

I wouldn't consider myself "sheltered" or privileged financially, but I'm surprised how many cases come through JJ's courtroom re. adult roommates.  Is it really common for 40+ year old men to rent rooms in someone's home?  I guess it's cheaper to rent one room than a whole house on your own, & renting out spare space in one's house is a way to make extra income.  However I can't imagine renting a room to a complete stranger.  Even if they rent one bedroom, they would still need access to the bathroom, kitchen, laundry etc, right? It just seems like a very bad idea. And so many of the cases on JJ prove my point...non payment of rent, drugs, theft, property damage and the difficulties of evicting tenants don't seem to worth the extra $400/month.

I know many of the litigants JJ sees are scamming the system with their "disabilities" and lack of the personal responsibility gene.  JJ is probably as sick of hearing sad ass stories from these unemployed and uneducated con artists as I am, but sometimes she comes across as down right mean or heartless.  She also acts like she doesn't understand that most people in "her America" struggle economically.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm also kind of annoyed JJ didn't ask her the almighty question, "What's the nature of your disability?" 

I'm guessing JJ tried to spare her any additional embarrassment, in case her disability was the obvious one. Interesting about not actually being divorced. I hadn't thought about that, but can see it. Another example, possibly, of "this is how things are done."   I DID like how Judy started off with a line of questioning (as she often does) that seems rather off-topic, but then is really just feeding the parties enough rope to hang themselves. She also revealed that she does do some investigation of the cases before she waltzes in to the bench. She often seems to know little details that wouldn't have been in the complaint and response.

And I'm always amazed at how people with zero cash think they can afford animals.  I thought it telling that Mr. B said "She got 'em for me 'cuz she knows I like 'em."  Another pretty telling piece of data. 

Roommate buddies always seems weird, too.  But I do know in my predominately white-collar area, there are NO apartments available for young (or any aged) professionals.  Most apartments have gone to low-income housing, and require proof to rent. These folks  may not want the hassle or expense of a house to purchase, or be able to, and don't want a 40-minute drive just to live in an apartment. Good friends of ours rented a room for about a year - some young professional who was never there, just needed a place to sleep and shower. But they were worried how we'd react. We were all young and broke, and it helped them pay the bills on an inherited house.  But we were all young.  Not 40.  I dunno.  Too much time to think.

My, aren't I full of excuses for everyone today! Did I mention I was a mind-reader in my former life?

Pup and I back from our hot, hot walk. Enjoying the air conditioning, and using the cool-down to ponder the lives of JJ litigants.

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 3

adult roommates.  Is it really common for 40+ year old men to rent rooms in someone's home?

If you are a fan of old movies (Thank God for TCM), this was fairly common in 1920s and 30s. Rooming Houses and Boarding houses were common where it allowed s0omeone with a large house which they could no longer afford to keep otherwise afford (especially during the Depression), and many older single people were also hard up to afford housing. Some of these with long term boarders were much like extended families. Also during WWII the DC area was so saturated with people without housing that renting rooms was common, which was the subject of at least one classic movie comedy. Also, watch "I Remember Mama" for its depiction of a pre-1900 family in San Francisco having a long term boarder who was treated as a respected  elderly relative. However, today it does strike me as sort of creepy, the culture has really changed.

• Love 5
On 6/30/2016 at 8:00 AM, Quof said:

On 7/4/2016 at 11:16 AM, OhioSongbird said:

The wedding video case....I hope what we saw wasn't all there was to it. That wedding was really nice.  The cake, venue, flowers, etc, these guys have good taste.  But as has been stated ya pay $250 ya gonna get a $250 video.

I had a problem with JJ telling the videographer that her work basically sucked.  It brought to mind the saying "I don't know art, but I know what I like."  There are probably people (I'm not one of them) who would love that style.  It wasn't a matter of "getting what you pay for" because it was cheap.  I'm sure that the grooms had formal tastings with their caterer for the food and for the wedding cake, scheduled fittings for their clothes, and submitted very detailed playlists for the entertainment.  If they signed a contract with someone without asking to see a portfolio of their work, they have no one to blame but themselves.

• Love 2

It's a HYUNDAI Accent, not Honda, Judy! 

The police report said "Honda" and she was reading that, so I guess the cop didn't know either. Some people are not savvy on makes of cars. I have a friend who wouldn't know Hyundai from Honda. She's just not interested.

However I can't imagine renting a room to a complete stranger. 

I can imagine college kids or young people just starting first jobs doing this, but for the life of me I cannot picture inviting a mature stranger to move into my home. If I were that strapped financially I'd sell the home I'm in and buy one half the size, or buy a 1-bedroom condo. Anything rather than have some character living in one of my bedrooms.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

If you are a fan of old movies (Thank God for TCM), this was fairly common in 1920s and 30s. Rooming Houses and Boarding houses were common where it allowed s0omeone with a large house which they could no longer afford to keep otherwise afford (especially during the Depression), and many older single people were also hard up to afford housing. Some of these with long term boarders were much like extended families. Also during WWII the DC area was so saturated with people without housing that renting rooms was common, which was the subject of at least one classic movie comedy. Also, watch "I Remember Mama" for its depiction of a pre-1900 family in San Francisco having a long term boarder who was treated as a respected  elderly relative. However, today it does strike me as sort of creepy, the culture has really changed.

The Lodger.

39 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Two things:

Which episode are y'all talking about when you say it is the ex husband of the poster? I remember it being said there was going to be an episode, now talk about the episode, but no description of which episode. What episode is it??

The guy said For the spite, according to closed captions. I think his wonky speech might have come across as for da spite which segued into hearing despite. Old saying in my mother's side, PA dutch heritage, dis dat dem and dos, guess da is from somewhere else. 

Stewedsquash, it was the episode with the older male lodger who rented a room from the lady and he accused her of locking him out and throwing out his crap. She said he owed for rent and she called the cops because he stole 4 painkillers from her. He said she gave him the pills for some pulled muscle or something. Then she said she took his stuff across the street to some mutual friends'. Really, it wasn't a memorable case but I wish I had realized it was our poster's ex and I would have enjoyed it more.

• Love 4
On 7/1/2016 at 8:54 PM, augmentedfourth said:

On 7/3/2016 at 1:27 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I cannot tell you how many prospective brides that I have warned against cheap photography. I'm one of those weirdo mothers of the bride who still looks back at her children's wedding pictures and thankfully they had an excellent photographer (and paid well for it). Brides (or I guess grooms in this case) have no problem paying out the nose for outfits they wear only once for maybe eight hours but photography lasts forever. 

So then maybe you won't think I am crazy that I paid for two photographers.  The first was the main photographer who took all the regular photos & he came with an assistant. The second was someone else I hired to do candids.  I told the regular photographer that she was a friend so he wouldn't be offended.  They had a package with another photographer to take candids, but I was so paranoid about getting good photos that I wanted two unrelated photographers just in case.  Second one just gave me prints and negatives.  Main photographer did photo album

BTW,  both cost more than the videographer in this case & I got married almost 16 years ago. 

4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Is it really common for 40+ year old men to rent rooms in someone's home?  I guess it's cheaper to rent one room than a whole house on your own, & renting out spare space in one's house is a way to make extra income.

When I bought a three bedroom trailer I rented the master bedroom ensuite to an ex co-worker. We're both single men, he's 40+ and I'm over 60. Works great for me, as his rent covers my trailer payment and that let me retire. And, guess it works for him, he's still here after 7+ years. He pays $450 and has access to kitchen, laundry, satellite TV, internet etc. All he has to buy is personal hygiene stuff and food. I buy the cleaning supplies, condiments, and bulk type stuff at Sams. Even supply the TV in his room, since his old two ton set went belly up. I don't even charge him to pet the cats ?

4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

However I can't imagine renting a room to a complete stranger.

Yeah, not to sure about renting through Craigslist - but we've seen problems when litigants rent to family and members of the same church.

• Love 7

The Lodger.

"Pacific Heights!"  Yikes.

When I bought a three bedroom trailer I rented the master bedroom ensuite to an ex co-worker.

Great that it's working out for you. I bet you wouldn't advertise on CL and invite a stranger/serial killer/drug dealer /alcoholic/prostitute move in with you and who you couldn't get out with a hand grenade.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

"Pacific Heights!"  Yikes.

I forgot all about that movie.  Scared the bejesus out of me AngelaHunter.  Made The Lodger look tame.

I also think it has to do with the requirements to rent a room.  I am guessing that in some cases (not all) the requirements aren't as strict as those set forth by an apartment complex.  Some of the winners we see on JJ don't have shining credit histories or bank accounts so it's probably a lot easier (and cheaper) for them to occupy a single room.

Me?  Never.  I wouldn't live in a room in someone's house and I wouldn't let anyone live with me.  Truthfully I don't like company to drop in unless I'm prepared and expect them.  That's just me though.  For some people it's not an issue.  Until they march in JJ's courtroom.  Then all bets are off.