Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

The charming, intelligent (but illiterate) "Jenae" reminded me of a big bullfrog.

You're right. Big Budwiser Bullfrog Built Bitches Be Like...

Duuuuuude, did you guys see the father-son duo who sued the lady with the frizzy burgandy hair? Man, Dame Judy Dench was on one for real. I...can't, y'all. I just...can't. My mother did not teach me how to deal with women who look like Mrs. Doubtfire Goes Metropolitan and their theatrics. She was pepper spraying everybody like she was on GTA IV with the Invincibility cheat code on what the fuck? For real, though. She looked like a drag queen named Lucille Balls.

• Love 4

OMG, y'all.  I'm watching the Gonzo the Dog case. My favorite kind - where Judy only talks to one party, and just keeps feeding them more and more rope until they hang themselves.  Yippee!  Love this kind of case.  And when JJ pretty much calls a litigant "a moron", so much the better.  Not to even mention another great example of hair  matching one's clothing.  Good times. Can't wait for a new case!

And the new Dog Woman case!   I think Judy was going to rule against her the minute she said her dogs were NOT on a leash. Another one that required a score card to keep track of the story.  FYI, lady, "red mark" does not equal "black and blue."  Really.  Loved the police report. Ha!

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 2

The mother was ridiculous, she can't sue her daughter as a daughter, she made her a co-tenant and paying rent. So if she's paying rent then the daughter can do as she pleases in that house that she's paying rent

I did not go to college right out of high school, my dear father said girls didn't need further education so I got a job and my parents promptly told me how much rent I'd be paying.I had no problem with that, thought it was fair.  HOWEVER I was18 and my dear old dad decided to tell me who I could and couldn't see "as long as you live under my roof". I figured I could pay rent somewhere else and be really grown up and within 8 days had a place and moved out!  He never forgave me but giving me an ultimatum was the best thing he ever did for me!  I  moved to NYC, got a good job and went to night school, had a ton of interesting experiences and met  lot of different men and met Mr. One More Time and lived happily ever after

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 10

I sorta believed the woman in the first dog case, Gonzo the Yorkie.  Yorkies are valuable dogs -- people don't just give them away.  Plus, she said she paid for grooming while Gonzo was with the friend, and apparently she had proof of that.  She wouldn't pay to groom him if she didn't intend to get him back at some point.

On the other hand, the reason for Gonzo being with the friend made little sense.  It's not that hard to keep a small dog away from a baby, unless the baby's sleeping on the floor. 

The blonde constantly nodding her head was annoying -- doesn't JJ usually tell people not to do that?

• Love 1

Yorkies are valuable dogs -- people don't just give them away.

When I was doing rescue I soon found out that when someone wants an animal gone, they don't care how much they paid for it. We got all kinds of beautiful purebreds - both cats and dogs.

Gonzo is a runty, backyard bred "designer" specimen. He's cute as anything but worth very little except to other backyard breeders or puppymills.

I am still of the mind that Leopoldina used to be just "Leopold in a" dress.

I got the same impression. I'm just glad she(?) is not my neighbour.

• Love 1

Duuuuuude, did you guys see the father-son duo who sued the lady with the frizzy burgandy hair? Man, Dame Judy Dench was on one for real. I...can't, y'all. I just...can't. My mother did not teach me how to deal with women who look like Mrs. Doubtfire Goes Metropolitan and their theatrics. She was pepper spraying everybody like she was on GTA IV with the Invincibility cheat code on what the fuck? For real, though. She looked like a drag queen named Lucille Balls.

27bored I am literally crying at my desk. . . . because you read my mind. 

Pepper haired Pepper-spray-packing mama was so on my nerves. Apparently her poochies' doodie don't stink so she gets to walk them without a leash but hellz to nah does anybody else get to. I actually felt sorry for the poor plaintiff because he was so horrified at the thought of beating a woman. And I have found as I get older I bruise and mark up easier so there's no way that old bag got beaten in the neck and head with a stick and it didn't bruise up (for the record she's much older than me AND she dyes her hair an ungodly color not seen in nature) Although I would have liked to have beaten her with a plastic stick AND the lady's coffee cup from yesterday. 

• Love 3

The case with the ginger pizza guy and the man with the son who looks every bit like Tiger Woods was funny. The dad was...too much. They barely started the case and he had a lot to say. He was pointing to his body parts that the son was injured on, but would not have been, and his hand stayed up like he needed a bathroom pass but the teacher was ignoring him. How many times in your life has someone had to yell at you to put your hand down?

It was obvious the kid had an accident. I don't know if he should've been "punished" for it, because it did seem like an accident. The driver wasn't on some bullshit; he just wanted his mirror fixed. No biggie.

The case with the chick suing the dude who lives with mommy seemed sweet, but gullible. And JJ needs to stop being a dirty old lady with her "maybe there's something I don't see..." You ain't fooling me, Judy! We all know what that means. But these cases piss me off because I'm always like whyyyyyy can't I find a desperate chick to get a come up on?! I have bills too! I need a chick so I can be like, "yeah, I mean I know I just met your stupid ass earlier this month but I need $1500 so I can start selling graphic tees on Etsy.....sooo, I need you to help me make that happen for us. For us". Instead I'm stuck using a flip phone to send texts and taking bitches to Olive Garden with a coupon this is some bullshit. My problem is I can't handle nice women. Just the other night me and my girlfriend were sitting on the couch and I briefly turned to the Republican debates and I made the off-hand comment that Carly Fiorina looks like when the wind blows her hair doesn't move. She was on her phone so I thought she just ignored me, but later I saw that she posted what I said on FB and said she has the "funniest BF ever". That's...nice. What am I supposed to with that type of comment? Start giving her all my money and telling her she's pretty? The fuck? 

• Love 9

The Curious Case of Camille Gregg.  I am hyperventilating!

Seriously.  There are just no words.

Is this the woman who took her three-year-old shopping with $1500 she got from her mother?

So much going on there -- kids moving back and forth from NY to Florida, grandma taking care of four kids, grandma living with one son, then another son.  Enrolling a kid in a new school just because the kid was with grandma when school started?  "Well, as long as you're there, you might as well stay for another year." 

The settlement money -- it was like that in my family.  Mom always said "If I have money, we ALL have money."  When my dad got a settlement from a work injury, he bought us a microwave.  But that's it -- he was never going to be able to work again and he knew it, so we didn't head to Reno to play the slots. 

But this grandma, chances are that $29K was all she was going to get, and she had a few more years left to live -- too bad she didn't know her kids well enough to know that money loaned is money gone forever. 

• Love 8

The guy that lives with his mommy got his comeuppance from Judge Judy to be sure, but the chick who gave the guy $1500 after knowing him 4 weeks needed some humiliation doled on her too!!!!  How dumb can a person be?? - pretty dumb she proved.

• Love 10

Auntie Pam, yes, that's the one! You forgot other sister, who while working at a salon (before cosmetology school), was able to send Grandma $400 every other week for the four kids' upkeep. Shoot, I worked full-time at a "real" job, and I don't know that I could have forked over that much money. (Not that I think she did.) I was holding it together until the hallterview.  That sent me over the edge.  I am fully medicated now, so am more able to proceed to conversate.

And another thing.  Was this "Magenta/pink/ginger hair-colored week" and I missed the memo?  Just about every case featured another brilliant shade of red!

• Love 6

Does anyone understand the ticket sale case? It made no sense to me!

I didn't understand the ticket sale case either.  Did JJ understand it?  Maybe she was as lost as we were and didn't want to show her ignorance.  I turned it off when they played the video.

Oh thank God I wasn't the only one who was lost.  I had chalked it up to my brain being frazzled on Friday evening after a long work week.

Mommy's boy vaguely reminded me of Michael Buble.

• Love 3

I didn't understand the ticket case, nor did I care about it.

So much going on there -- kids moving back and forth from NY to Florida, grandma taking care of four kids, grandma living with one son, then another son.  Enrolling a kid in a new school just because the kid was with grandma when school started?

And with all this going on, Mom couldn't take a few of her 30K and buy herself some teefies? Oh, and the money wasn't "sent by God". It came from Byrd's pocket. Daughter was utterly despicable. $1500 to take her 3 year old daughter "out"? Kid must have very expensive tastes. In the hall she admitted where it really went - on weaves and pricey shoes.  Wonder why she lost custody of her kid.

Sociopathic, greased up Mommy's boy was repulsive in the extreme, but I have to say I am so fucking sick of seeing women so tragically desperate that they'll hook up with anything that has a pulse then start giving some loser large amounts of money within weeks. Plaintiff seemed like a nice girl, but really, I'm sorry she got her money back. She needs a really hard lesson.

The Taylors (dishonest father and dopey mother) - who in spite of their best efforts to set an example on how to weasel your way out of any responsibility, have an honest and smart kid - made me sick.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 8
And with all this going on, Mom couldn't take a few of her 30K and buy herself some teefies? Oh, and the money wasn't "sent by God". It came from Byrd's pocket. Daughter was utterly dispicable. $1500 to take her 3 year old daughter "out"? Kid must have very expensive tastes. In the hall she admitted where it really went - on weaves and pricey shoes.  Wonder why she lost custody of her kid.

Angela, I hope you know you're mean as fuck. I mean, damn. Teebax, CoolWhip, Patti, Sandy, one of you needs to get her. It's like, the meanest on any page in this thread is always from AngelaHunter.

But yeah, you're totally right. Her mouth reminded me of that Martin Lawrence stand-up special where he was talking about people on crack losing their teeth. He was like, "what happened to your shit? Oh, I must've smoked those..."

• Love 5

This is how I understand the ticket sales worked. Performer sells tickets to the show. For the first show, the defendant sold 30 tickets, the funds for the first 25 went to a pot, and the overage (in this case 5) he got to keep. At the end of the night, the funds from the first 25 tickets from ALL the performers were tallied, the expenses paid (venue, Plaintiff, etc.), and the rest was split among the performers.

For the second show, Defendant only sold the 25 because he was told by Plaintiff there would be at least 200 people there, and just decided to take his portion from the pot instead of selling extra. Then, when he got there, decided that there were only 20-30 people, and wouldn't give up his ticket money because the fund wouldn't be large enough for him to get anything from it.

Plaintiff sued, video showed more that 20-30 people, and Defendant lost. I think the editing was wonky because I took all of that from the show, and it seemed like Judge Judy understood it, and she doesn't understand anything outside of her world. It had to have been explained several times at length before she understood the payout, especially without there being any contract.

Also, I wanted to pull that very expensive weave out of that daughter's hair. Mom seemed shattered every time her daughters told a new lie. I'm sick and shouldn't being watching TV, I think, because I got angry at someone on Amazing Race tonight, too.

• Love 7

Angela, I hope you know you're mean as fuck.

LOL! Believe it or not, IRL I'm very nice! Ragging on JJ litigants is therapy and it helps me stay nice.

Also, I wanted to pull that very expensive weave out of that daughter's hair.

I just realized - she runs a daycare, yet lost custody of her own child? I hope the parents of the kids she cares for watched this episode.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 5

It didn't click with me either she owns s daycare but lost custody of her kid.

She kept saying the money was to prove she was doing stuff with her kid. She was an ass.

Parents of the mirror breaker were too. Kid tells the truth, parents do whatever they can to get out of paying.

• Love 6

I just realized - she runs a daycare, yet lost custody of her own child? I hope the parents of the kids she cares for watched this episode.

Oh, good heavens.  I had just simmered down! Where was this?  We need to take out an ad and warn those poor people.

Y'all are the bestest friends in the whole wide world.  The snark, the "get out of my head"-sy-ness, the compassion, all of it.  I do have a real life, and I do have real-live friends, but you all are so much more fun! Big hugs from down here in soggy Texas.   And ToasterStrudel, if we didn't mention it before, virtual hugs and good thoughts that you have a donor match very, very soon.  XOXO.

Happy Halloween!   I think I'm going to quaff a few cups of espresso and go out trick or treating as "Shannon Five-Shots."  Should be able to cover the entire neighborhood in about four minutes.   Unless I dye my hair magenta, and go out as Leopold-ina.  Gotta hunt up my pepper spray...

• Love 6

The plaintiff organizes concerts. He rents the venue and hires the performers, including the defendant. The performers are compensated based on ticket sales, and agree to sell at least 25, which goes to the plaintiff to be pooled, and the funds for any additional tickets the performer gets to keep. The plaintiff collects the money from the first 25 ticket sales from each of the performers, pays the expenses, takes his cut, and the rest is divided among the performers; so they get the money from each ticket sale over 25 plus a percentage of the first 25, pooled, after expenses.

In the JJ case, for the first concert the defendant sold 30 tickets at $20 each, gave the plaintiff the money for the first 25 tickets and kept the money from the last 5. Then he also received a cut from the pooled ticket funds. That concert wasn't at dispute, it was just used to explain how the money was handled to JJ, since there wasn't a contract on a piece of paper she could hold and point to while saying, "It isn't in the four corners of this piece of paper!" I'm guessing both parties agreed that he only had to turn over the money for the first 25 tickets, since they didn't show any argument on that point.

For the second concert (the one in dispute), the defendant decided to only sell the 25 tickets because the plaintiff "guaranteed" him that there would be at least 200-300 people there, and he was just going to accept the pool portion, instead of selling extra tickets. When he arrived, he decided there were only 20-30 people there, he wouldn't receive anything from the pool, so he kept the money for the 25 tickets he sold.

Plaintiff sued for the money from the 25 tickets, and since the video showed more than 25 people, JJ ruled for the plaintiff and against the defendant. At least I think that's why she ruled for the plaintiff, since the editing only showed them arguing about the amount of people there as opposed to how many tickets he needed to sell or something else.

• Love 3
  The snark, the "get out of my head"-sy-ness, the compassion, all of it.  I do have a real life, and I do have real-live friends, but you all are so much more fun! Big hugs from down here in soggy Texas.   And ToasterStrudel, if we didn't mention it before, virtual hugs and good thoughts that you have a donor match very, very soon.  XOXO.

Hey, what's going on with our beloved Toaster?  Please let us know if possible.  Toaster, good wishes to you.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 4

From what he said, it seemed like he thought there would be enough people there that he would just accept whatever money he got from the pooled funds, without working more by selling additional tickets. Since there wasn't a paper contract, he may have thought he could get away with just keeping the money, and pulled the "guaranteed 200 people" excuse out of his ass after he got sued. They needed to either give it the extra 5 minutes so we cared about the case, or just not air it.

Apparently, at some point I tried to post the following LOOOONG comment regarding bail. I don't remember typing it, and it seems to have dissolved into the ether of Previously TV, reappearing as a comment to 90 Day Fiance when I clicked the "last auto saved" lettering at the bottom of the comment box. Neat. I don't remember why I used StewedSquash in my example, but I'm guessing there was a quote box that didn't get saved.

Let's say I borrowed StewedSquash $1500, with the agreement I would be paid back back with an income tax refund. Only StewedSquash didn't get an income tax refund, because the government took it for the Federal student loan that wasn't paid back. Yet, I thought I would be paid back, because like many JJ litigants, I'm dumb.

I show up and demand my money, I'm disrespected somehow, an altercation ensues, and eventually I strike StewedSquash in the mouth with my cell phone, breaking a tooth. I'm arrested and taken to jail. Within about 48 hours (usually about 12), I appear in front of a magistrate who tells me my charge and decides if I should be allowed to leave the jail while awaiting trial. Since my crime won't result in my spending life in jail, he has to give me the option to leave.

So, the judge says to me that he will let me leave jail while I wait for my trial, but to ensure that I will appear, I have to give him something in collateral first. Since I don't have a criminal record, he decides to set bail at $1000. Now, I don't have $1k, because I spent it on an IPhone, which is now broke because of the dumb, fake-gold grill in StewedSquash's mouth, and I need my money to replace it with the newest model, so I call a bail bondsman.

The bail bondsman sees that I have a job with wages that can be garnished if I don't pay him back. So he agrees to pay the court $1000, but I have to give him 10% right away, and I will owe interest on the loan. When I show up to Court to argue how it is all StewedSquash's fault I threw the phone in the first place, the bail is released, the bondsman is reimbursed the $1000 ($900 his and $100 mine), he applies the $1000 to my loan and I still owe the remaining interest amount. If I have been paying him back while waiting for trial (hahahaha), I will be reimbursed the overage from the bondsman.

If the bail amount was higher, like $5000, or I couldn't come up with the $100 in cash (you know, since I lent all my money), the bondsman may require that I put up the title to my car or provide him with something else of value, such as jewelry or tools. If I don't show up to court, the court get's to keep the money and the bondsman then comes after me for reimbursement, either taking and selling my car, garnishing my wages, or sending Dog after me to drag me back to the courthouse, at which point they revoke the bail and get their money back and I sit in jail practicing my lies ("I would have been here, Your Honor, but I was abducted by aliens! No, really! Can't you see my serious face?")

Then, StewedSquash sues me for the tooth damage, we end up in front of JJ, and I file a  crossclaim for the $1500, the phone, and having me arrested for committing a crime. The nerve of some people!

All that said, what we tend to see on JJ are cases where a family member pays the $1000 bail on their credit card, and the defendant doesn't receive it back because a lien from Child Support Enforcement for child support or alimony arrears has been placed on the bail money. If the money is owed to a bondsman, he has a lien that takes priority. If it is paid by a family member or friend, it is a good as the defendant paying it himself, and CSE's lien comes first. Now the family member can't get their money back from the court, and the defendant says, "it's not my problem" and they end up on JJ with the Plaintiff suing for the bail amount, and the defendant claiming it was a gift. Until Judge Judy, I didn't even know CSE could put a lien on bail money.

• Love 9

Thank you for the detailed explanation about bail, Christina. No one I've ever known gets arrested as a matter of course, so I didn't really understand it either.

Let's say I borrowed StewedSquash $1500, with the agreement I would be paid back back with an income tax refund. Only StewedSquash didn't get an income tax refund, because the government took it for the Federal student loan that wasn't paid back. Yet, I thought I would be paid back, because like many JJ litigants, I'm dumb.

I show up and demand my money, I'm disrespected somehow, an altercation ensues, and eventually I strike StewedSquash in the mouth with my cell phone, breaking a tooth. I'm arrested and taken to jail.

You've just described events in the day of the average JJ litigant. Ha!

• Love 4
Plaintiff seemed like a nice girl, but really, I'm sorry she got her money back. She needs a really hard lesson.

In these cases, it would be nice if the money got taken from the defendant so he's punished, but given to charity or something so the plaintiff isn't rewarded for utter stupidity. 

• Love 4

Angela, I hope you know you're mean as fuck. I mean, damn. Teebax, CoolWhip, Patti, Sandy, one of you needs to get her. It's like, the meanest on any page in this thread is always from AngelaHunter.

27Bored, do NOT go there lol. I was so pissed at little Ms Entitled and her new weave and her new shoes that I wanted to slap the fire outta her (where's my coffee cup and my dog-ball-tossing stick??!?!) And she blames it on her kid. Not like she took the kid to Disney or bought her an Ipad. Angela Hunter would have to get in line behind me (and in real life I'm the friendly faced lady you see at the grocery store that everybody asks random questions of. . or the nice lady that always waves when you drive by. . . but these people just get me so fired up that I turn into Hostile Hannah.  

• Love 6

I'm no Beyonce, but Viola Price and her boyfriend Troy Fisher were quite an interesting looking couple.  I want to say soooo much more, but I'm going to be nice.  Ellis, the money order casher, had classic alky face.  He probably spent it all on booze.

• Love 5

I'm no Beyonce, but Viola Price and her boyfriend Troy Fisher were quite an interesting looking couple.  I want to say soooo much more, but I'm going to be nice.  Ellis, the money order casher, had classic alky face.  He probably spent it all on booze.

Thanks!  Guess I'll have to watch today!

Oh, and I love Angela too!

• Love 1

but these people just get me so fired up that I turn into Hostile Hannah.

Honestly, though!  It's gotten to where the wine needs to be right next to the DVR controller when I watch. And not just the glass - I need the whole jug, screw-top and all. Glad I've got my support group here.

Christina, excellent explanation.  However, you do not specify if you proceeded to have a verbal or a physical altercation.  Be clear, please.  And what is this mysterious word "lent" that you use?  I have no recollection of that word. You must operate in another dimension if that is part of your vocabulary.  hee!

Patty1h, I'm all a-flutter waiting for this one!  The cases that render us (nearly) speechless are usually doozies.

• Love 3

Oh the entire entourage in the stolen money order case was um, not oozing attractiveness.

Also that Walmart sucks for cashing a money order they knew was lost.

The hair salon owner was an ass, she didn't want poor people near her.

• Love 5

Bless their hearts, the plaintiffs in the Walmart money order case were such an odd-looking couple. At first, I thought the woman might be transgender. But then, I decided that she might not be and she might just look like a troll doll with low-hanging hair. 

That hairdresser was a prejudiced a-hole, and I'm glad JJ doled out some serious insults at her.  And I don't get what she was implying when she claimed that the church leader hangs out in the car for hours, 'then pulls his pants up,' and gets out of the car.  What??!  She's a jerk.

• Love 4

Bless their hearts, the plaintiffs in the Walmart money order case were such an odd-looking couple. At first, I thought the woman might be transgender. But then, I decided that she might not be and she might just look like a troll doll with low-hanging hair.

One of the defendant's witnesses looked odd, as well.

• Love 5

That hairdresser was a prejudiced a-hole, and I'm glad JJ doled out some serious insults at her.  And I don't get what she was implying when she claimed that the church leader hangs out in the car for hours, 'then pulls his pants up,' and gets out of the car.  What??!  She's a jerk.

I thought she was referring to the young men who would get out of the car and hitch up their pants.  Another indication of her prejudice against the stereotypical young black African American males who wear them riding low.

She was no prize for sure.  But I had a bad vibe about the letter the pastor read about their loss of the grant.  They specified the amount of money they weren't giving him, and said that the reason was the allegations made by (her specific name) about possible drug activity around their church.  And then the detail about them not having the money to check it out, but what a great organization the pastor was heading and what a great benefit it was to the neighborhood.  It just sounded weird to me.  Most of the time, if you're an entity turning down a request for a contribution, you just say something like, "We regret that we do not have funds available to donate to your organization at this time.  You have our best wishes, yada, yada, yada."  I've never seen a letter declining with those reasons and naming names.

In the second episode we had today, there was the young lady who got hit by the lying uninsured driver.  But JJ did something that also set my radar off.  She accepted an insurance ID card as proof of insurance from the plaintiff.  She needed something more than that.  Anyone can buy a 6-month insurance policy (with a little down and monthly payments; you get the card, and then cancel the insurance.  Do you have a card?  Yes.  Is it valid?  No.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 7
LOL! Believe it or not, IRL I'm very nice! Ragging on JJ litigants is therapy and it helps me stay nice.

Mmhmm suuuure you are. ;)

I'm just saying I think we could all stand to be a little bit nicer. I've been thinking long and hard about this and I think it's wrong for us to say such mean things about Judge Judy litigants who just want to live their lives and...

Oh, who the fuck am I kidding?

The case with the dude suing his pillhead ex-girlfriend was funny. Hannah could probably sit on a pill bottle and guess what's inside. The guy looked like an asshole, but good on him for getting rid of her crazy ass.

The case with the salon owner telling the police that she thinks he was selling drugs out of his church was insane. She...probably should've shut the hell up. No one asked you what you thought was going on, and even if you did think they were selling drugs, what the fuck do you think they were going to do if they found out you were snitching, fat ass? Go back inside and do hail, nails, and piercings or whatever you do at your Blue Collar Tour ass establishment. And I'm glad the dude got the money for his organization. She didn't have to mess his shit up with her bullshit, and I bet her husband who sat there with his thumb up his ass gassed her up to tell the police they were selling drugs.

The dude who stole the money order did look like an alcoholic. He even had the body of an alcoholic. Pot belly with skinny limbs. He was just cashing the shit out of their money order and was like, that was not me right into the mic because we wouldn't be able to hear him lie standing up. He's 38, said he had a license from 16-37, and called that "a long time ago". Girl, please. The only question I want to ask him is "are you off probation yet?" and maybe "how many DUIs have you had?"

Also, I...wasn't kidding about what I said earlier. Any gullible, clueless, single women out there want to borrow me about $1500 so I can make some graphic tees and sell them on Etsy? For us? For us?

• Love 5

Most of the time, if you're an entity turning down a request for a contribution, you just say something like, "We regret that we do not have funds available to donate to your organization at this time.  You have our best wishes, yada, yada, yada."  I've never seen a letter declining with those reasons and naming names.

That seemed odd to me too.  Charitable organizations have rules.  Unless their rules allow them to deny a grant based on rumors, they screwed up. 

Makes me wonder if the someone with the charity told the minister -- on the down low -- why they declined his funding -- and then he went back to them, said he was going on JJ and if they'd put the reasons in writing, then he could get the money from the show.  Or something like that.

The proof of insurance, we don't know what the plaintiff showed JJ.  It might have been confirmation of the dates she was covered.  Because you're right, a card isn't proof of coverage.  But at least she had something more than a wonky bank statement.  Our carrier sends us a piece of paper twice a year, with the dates of coverage.  We keep it with the registration and if we ever needed to show it, it would be accepted -- at least temporarily, until the authorities could confirm with the insurance company.

The money order case -- what's the law on found money?  Because that's kinda what it was.  Of course it wasn't his money, but how is it different from keeping a fifty dollar bill that you find on the sidewalk? 

I'm not defending him -- I'm just wondering if what he did was illegal as well as immoral, despicable, detestable, wrong, evil, mean, etc. etc.

I think our dear Judge allowed the plaintiff to only show her insurance card because she knew the defendant was lying, was responsible, and the plaintiff was going to prevail, but that she still needed some sort of "demonstration" of insurance. The def. didn't file on the plaintiff's insurance was because she knew she was at fault, and that she wasn't insured (or licensed, I'm betting.)  Had JJ really needed proof the plaintiff had insurance, she would have demanded the cancelled check, etc.  As it was, she had way more "proof" than the def. had.

I just don't understand how people can swear to tell the truth, even on a TV show, and still stand there and flat out lie. It makes me sad for humanity. Disappointing day in JJ land for me.  (Is it obvious?) 

27bored, you almost had me there for a minute.  Whew!

• Love 5

I think the difference (besides being 10 times as much as $50) was that it was a LEGAL document, signed by the owner.  He had to fraudulently claim HE was the owner, and forge the document.  At least I think so.

Money orders have a "Pay to" line, and I don't know if someone can sign it over to someone else (which would mean that he forged the name of the person in the To line). If not, then I guess he'd need a fake ID made ....or a shady check-cashing place.

• Love 1

But the money order was in the owner's wallet.  If the finder had any ethics, even if the MO was blank, he'd have turned it in.  He made it out to himself, used his own ID, and cashed it.  If it had been made out to someone else (which I don't think it was), his cashing it was fraud.  It was "found money" . . . but he's still a jerk.

• Love 1