Type keyword(s) to search

Season Seven Spoilers, Speculation and Sightings

Season 7 will air on Sunday, Aug. 28 at 9|8c. From this article at Foodnetwork.com :

This summer The Great Food Truck Race returns for a new season, premiering Sunday, Aug. 28 at 9|8c. But this time things are a little bit different: Six teams of families have taken up the fight for the $50,000 grand prize as host Tyler Florence springs difficult challenges their way. None of the family members have ever operated a food truck business before, so they’re in for the ride of their lives, with some family drama along the way. The Great Food Truck Race: Family Face-Off kicks off in Los Angeles and follows a scenic route down the California coast, finishing on Catalina Island, where the best food trucking family will ride off into the sunset with the grand prize.

This Season’s Competitors
Big Mista’s Fatty Wagon (Neil Strawder, Phillis Strawder, Eric Lara) — Long Beach, Calif.
Carretto Siciliano (Vinny Guadagnino, Paola Guadagnino, Angelo Giaimo) — Staten Island, N.Y.
Fortune Cooking (Tom Lin, Julie Hill-Lin, Tiffany Webster) — Livonia, Mich., and Denver
Grilled Cheese All-Stars (Michael Kalish, Charlie Kalish, Bryce Adams) – San Francisco and San Diego
Lei-Away Leidies (Carey Ofahengaue, Summer Prescott, Autumn Prescott) – Provo, Utah, and Laie, Hawaii
Sweet Southern Soul (Tiffany Ermon, Tikia Travis, Kizzma Snoddy) — Chicago and Atlanta

In Los Angeles, Tyler welcomes the six family teams to the race, but before anyone can even see their brand-new trucks, they’re in for a challenge. The teams must complete a funnel cake-eating contest to find the keys to their trucks. Later in the day, Tyler offers up a prime location to the trucks for a pretty price — the highest bidder gets the spot. By the end, the team with the least amount of profits will be sent home.

Upcoming stops include Ventura County, for a strawberry festival; Santa Barbara, where there will be an ostrich egg hunt; Palm Springs, for a roadside attraction challenge; and the finale on Catalina Island, where Tyler will award the winning family team.

Read more at: http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2016/07/families-hit-the-road-for-a-face-off-on-season-7-of-the-great-food-truck-race/?oc=linkback

I look forward to this show every year.  I hope the new PTB at FN haven't ruined it with silly games that have nothing to do with running a food truck.  I also hope no "celebrities" show up unless they're legitimate celebrities like, for example, Mike Ditka who turned up a couple seasons ago when the trucks were in Chicago.  And please - no Katie Lee!

• Love 2

Crap, another season of people who have never operated a food truck before & things like a "funnel cake-eating contest " have nothing to do with running a food truck. This is sounding like a really bad season.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Did they cut the budget? A race from LA to Catalina? Lame.

This is exactly the question posters have been raising over on Food Network Star.  The past season was done so much on the cheap - everything was studio-bound.  Could this have anything to do with the management turnover at FN?

I really love this show, but they'll have to retitle it The Incredibly Teeny Food Truck Jaunt Through SoCal So We Can Limit Our Fuel Expenses.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

This is exactly the question posters have been raising over on Food Network Star.  The past season was done so much on the cheap - everything was studio-bound.  Could this have anything to do with the management turnover at FN?

New FN exec: Tyler, would it be possible to do this in a studio? Or maybe a warehouse. We could drive the trucks in front of backdrops saying things like "Welcome to sunny El Paso!"

Tyler:Well, the show does have 'truck race' in the name.

New FN exec: Hmm. Maybe we should change the name to "Great Food Truck,"

• Love 5
On August 6, 2016 at 8:47 AM, chessiegal said:

I wonder if the location has to do with Tyler being located there. But it does seem like a budget cut.

Tyler's restaurant/restaurants (& I think his wife owns a store of some kind that's part of the business holdings) is/are in the San Francisco Bay area, as opposed to SoCal/LA, Catalina Island, etc. But I still get your point; definitely a budget cut. 

On August 5, 2016 at 8:54 AM, biakbiak said:

Did they cut the budget? A race from LA to Catalina? Lame.

With family members involved maybe they felt it was better to keep it consolidated? Only 5 episodes this year too. As long as no kids show up...

5 hours ago, Skyfall said:

With family members involved maybe they felt it was better to keep it consolidated? Only 5 episodes this year too. As long as no kids show up...

There have frequently been teams comprised of family members.

For what it's worth Cooking Food marathoned Aloha and Pho seasons the past two days. Before FNS they marathoned Jeff's season and Popin Fleek won and joined The Kitchen Sink. Maybe a subtle hint can be discovered?

Okay okay, I'm back in.

I haven't watched all Food Truck seasons and am wondering if any previous trucks' contestants had a pseudo-celebrity member.

Vinny seemed to have a following, of sorts, when they got to Flags. I guess any wedge you can find but that seems a tiny bit unfair. Though I think I would stay away from a Jersey Shore truck so maybe it works both ways. 

Wasn't there a chef from Chopped or a similar show before?  Maybe from Cleveland?

Vinny was one of the least objectionable people on Jersey Shore so that should help a little.

Had a former FNS contestant. Also I'm still surprised they allow social media. Easy way for spoilers to leak.

3 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

Had a former FNS contestant. Also I'm still surprised they allow social media. Easy way for spoilers to leak.

Plus, if someone's been all over active on SM it would be a clue if they suddenly stopped posting.

The Hawaiians did a good job a couple (?) of seasons ago. They really rallied  their fellow islanders a number of places. The Leidies could post about their Maui-Wowee. heh.

Oh for the love of.... The slideshow for that article is pretty infuriating. Paola has never had BBQ before...Paola is the Queen of chicken but has never made fried chicken before... Come on! We now know why all she makes is meatballs. 

1 hour ago, Christina said:

Oh for the love of.... The slideshow for that article is pretty infuriating. Paola has never had BBQ before...Paola is the Queen of chicken but has never made fried chicken before... Come on! We now know why all she makes is meatballs. 

I'm so fed up, Christina.  Do you want to form an autonomous collective with other PreviouslyTV foodies and start our own network?  Didi and Kathleen Whatsherface have gutted everything that was enjoyable on FN.  Even the Ramsay histrionics on Fox are more substantial than the drivel we've been seeing lately.

Meanwhile, waiting for the return of Top Chef and Restaurant Startup, which still have some semblance of integrity.

• Love 2
On 9/23/2016 at 8:05 AM, HyeChaps said:

Don't know what this has to do with who wins, but there is a new series starting Sunday starring Vinnie and his Mom:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/vinny-and-ma-eat-america/behind-the-scenes-of-vinny-and-ma-eat-america.html?ic1=obinsite

So i guess this season of TGFTR was just a demo reel for what we'll be seeing next sunday..

Did Cooking Channel pass on this show? Had figured itd air on there since its the celebrity-centric food-themed channel

• Love 1