Type keyword(s) to search

S33: Jessica "Figgy" Figueroa

Michel
  • Start Topic

Hope she's an early boot.  And being overly honest about anything and everything she's asked probably isn't a good idea on this show.

I predict she gets herself voted out.  She's kind of annoying, so right now that wouldn't disappoint me.

And the Survivor she most wants to play like:

Survivor contestant you're most like: 
I love Stephenie LaGrossa (Palau, Guatemala, Heroes vs. Villains.) She's just so tough in so many ways and she's strategic. She shows some moments of weakness but, at the end of it, she is still a tough chick and she fights to stay alive. I admire her.

I don't know if I'd put 'strategic' and 'Stephenie LaGrossa' in the same sentence.  She was on the worst performing tribe in Survivor history, her tribe lost a bunch during Guatemala but she got extremely lucky by flip floppers, she cried a lot, and was the second boot during HvsV.  She pretty much got herself voted out there, then made excuses.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
On 8/22/2016 at 1:50 PM, Michel said:

Hi.  I'm probably already winning no fans using my last name as a nickname.

I don't care what she calls herself, frankly. Considering that there are two women named Jessica this season, an alternate name is perfectly understandable. 

• Love 2

Yeah I don't care if people use their nickname either. It is the players that go on the show and insist others call them a nickname because they want to stand out (I am looking at you John Cochran).

Anyway here is her interview with Gordon Holmes:

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2016/09/06/survivor-millennial-jessica-f/

This is super hard because I admire Parvati’s (Shallow) game so much. But, I would never align with her unless I was in Amanda’s (Kimmel) shoes. But even then I would’ve taken her out. I would’ve taken Cirie (Fields).

My head hurts from trying to decipher this. Does she think going to the end with Cirie that season was a better option than going to the end with Parvati?  It makes no sense at all.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, LanceM said:

Yeah I don't care if people use their nickname either. It is the players that go on the show and insist others call them a nickname because they want to stand out (I am looking at you John Cochran).

Anyway here is her interview with Gordon Holmes:

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2016/09/06/survivor-millennial-jessica-f/

This is super hard because I admire Parvati’s (Shallow) game so much. But, I would never align with her unless I was in Amanda’s (Kimmel) shoes. But even then I would’ve taken her out. I would’ve taken Cirie (Fields).

My head hurts from trying to decipher this. Does she think going to the end with Cirie that season was a better option than going to the end with Parvati?  It makes no sense at all.

I think I'm annoyed by nicknames for that sole reason (even if the person in question isn't a Cochran or Culpepper, who insists that's what they go by).  The people who've had them are often people I don't like, self appointed or not.  In her case, it seems her nickname at least makes sense, and something she's had for years, and isn't making up for Survivor street cred.  And even if she didn't go by Figgy, we know Jeff would be calling her  that or by her full last name to avoid confusion with the other Jessica (who I keep forgetting about). 

I've already said I'm not crazy about this one, and the fact she thinks taking Cirie as a final 2 partner is a better option than Parvati makes me think she won't have much strategy.

Edited by LadyChatts

Well, Amanda was screwed either way, so maybe she just means she'd rather Cirie get the million.

I think she's got the right instincts but the bro boys are bringing her down.  She should have gotten some girls together, then gotten those boys.  I fear she's not long for this world.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I think she's got the right instincts but the bro boys are bringing her down.  She should have gotten some girls together, then gotten those boys.  I fear she's not long for this world.

Hannah and Mari already know exactly what she's doing, so you could be right.

Still, the one thing that keeps me from hating her is that she brought it at the puzzle portion of the Immunity Challenge, so that's always good.

• Love 2

I don't dislike her at all. The level of vitriol would make you think she was aiming nuclear weapons at someone's hometown. She's just a young woman on a reality show to me. I find her boxing background really cool. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 1

In the video she says she works out four times a week at a friend's boxing gym, I think she said with a punching bag.  

I like boxing workouts too but I would never get in the ring with anyone and try real boxing.  I'm guessing that's what her "affinity for boxing" means.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  

Perhaps my favorite line of the night came from Taylor: "maybe Adam's double crossing us and he's smarter than we think he is.  Unlikely, but maybe."  Wonder if he remembered that quote when his lady love got sent packing.  That and the confident smirks coming from the two at TC.  That whole TC scene about marriage was embarrassing.  

Even Adam offered Candice a good bye smooch when she was voted of CI.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

I do like how she is so proud of herself because as she put it I was targeted early but got myself out of it and made it all the way to day 18!  Um no you didn't. Michelle saved you on day 6. and the only reason you made it to day 18 was because what ever tribe you were on kept inning immunity.  

• Love 1

As was discussed in the ep thread, our power couple bit the dust:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/survivor-figgy-taylor-showmance-millennials-gen-x/

Was it just a showmance, or are you guys still together?
Figgy: The legend of FigTales is no more. We are not together because of... our life on the island is completely different from real life. There's a lot of things that I learned about him that I did not know, and it led to our little crumble. You guys will just have to tune in to the reunion show to see all that. But, I'm glad we didn't get married.

I feel like she's trying to throw Taylor under the bus without making it seem like that's what she's doing.  Also, this season has been pretty dull so far, but I hope more exciting stuff happens by the time the reunion hits.  I don't want Jeff to dwell on a showmance that everyone mocked and no one cared about.  I wonder if they are forbidden from talking about what led to their break up because TPTB want to save it for the reunion?  I'd just like to see Taylor, whenever he gets booted, clear it up in his exit interviews.

These interviews are amusing.  She gives herself waaaay too much credit for being this strategical manipulator that was calling the shots and was a thinker, and was voted out for being a strategic threat.  She was almost gone the second episode, and if it wasn't for Jay and Michelle, would have been.  Calling herself Boston Rob?  Yeesh.  Figgy did say on her twitter that she will be back one day (mark her words).  They've made stranger casting decisions, but hopefully this won't be one of them.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

I think she definitely makes it back. Looking at the players they brought back and the players they considered bringing back, there's an obvious cute girl quota. If you're an attractive female and half-way memorable, they'll consider bringing you back. I mean there's a female returning player on next season (anybody who has seen the cast list knows who I mean) is so utterly mindbogglingly that they would decide, "Yeah, let's see her twice." She's such a dud in every department (gameplay, confessionals) except looks. 

Figgy, in comparison, was sort of the main story of the Millennials for the first six episodes. She's camera friendly, she has an easy storyline that I can already see, "Last time I play, I was too focused on romance. Not anymore." She seems to have the POTENTIAL for something more gameplay-wise, even if that never happens. 

• Love 3

The only thing Figgy can do is not play too hard, too fast.  Her argument was she was trying to get the guys into her back pocket to control, but ended up falling for Taylor (also, I think she underestimated Jay).  I don't know if the showmance completely sealed her fate, or if she would have done something else stupid to get herself voted out.  As much as she thought of herself as some big player, she didn't seem it.  But again, that could have been the showmance approach.  Who knows.  She isn't one I care to see back, so hopefully when another returning player season happens, she's forgotten.

But yes loki, I totally see what you mean.

ETA: Here's another interview with Figgy.  I have to say, after seeing how bitter she seems towards Taylor, I am a tad curious what led to their break up (if it was something besides him having a girlfriend/fiancée/wife).

http://people.com/tv/survivors-figgy-exit-interview-exclusive/

Do you regret being so open about your relationship with Taylor and friendship with Michelle?
I would have been secretive about it if I hadn’t been in an alliance with a 12-year-old boy who just had his first wet dream. Literally, that’s exactly what Taylor was. He could not control himself. He was constantly googly-eyed and drooling over me and I couldn’t hide it. It was like, “Hell, what can I do?”

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

I am almost certain that Taylor most likely had a significant other that he was cheating on with Figgy.  Just based on the comments she is making that seems like the most likely possibility.  But I guess we will find out at the reunion show. And yes I can almost guarantee it will be asked which is why she is not giving any details probaby because the CBS handlers told her not to say anything specific.

• Love 1

So I guess they didn't have to wait until the reunion show after all.  So wait, were Figgy and Taylor actually dating when they got home?  I guess I thought she assumed they might have something, but found out about the girlfriend.  So this girl Taylor cheated on Figgy with?  Or did he cheat on the girlfriend with Figgy (nice to see the girlfriend isn't bitter, if that's the case).  I just thought that Taylor and Figgy's showmance was just a typical reality show hook up, and she was pissed to find out about a girlfriend, and that she came off looking bad.

This is why I hate showmances, and why they rarely work out.

ETA: because these interviews just keep getting better and better (I wonder if she gave half of them before finding out about Taylor becoming a daddy, because she seems particularly bitter in this one).  Anyway, this quote:

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1129362/survivor-interview-figgy-and-taylor

SK: On the flip side, who does not deserve to win at this point?

JF: The person that does not deserve to win is Taylor. No, that's mean of me. Other than Taylor, it would be Jessica. I just think she was saved by grace when David played his Idol. People are saving her and she's not doing enough for me. She should've gone home instead of Lucy. She owes her life to so many people in this game. I don't think she deserves right now to win. Same thing for Taylor.

I would seriously like Figgy to point out anything she did in this game that was smart.  She didn't even know they were gunning for her at the 2nd TC, and luckily got Jay and Michelle to save her.  That's exactly what David did for Jessica.  And didn't she say Taylor should have sacrificed his spot in the game for her?  And why was Lucy any better than Jessica?  She's seriously a legend in her own mind.  If she ever returns again (hopefully not), I hope she's first boot.  I totally see her making an ass of herself at the reunion show, if Jeff prolongs the whole show mance.  I hope it doesn't even get addressed at this point.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

Ugh. I didn't like her just by instinct, but her post TC comments (she said right away she wasn't going to see Taylor - this was long before finding out 'more' about him, and suggests she was using him) and her numerous interviews show her to be fairly self-centred and vindictive. The whole "I never would kiss him, yuck" thing - strange when you're in any sort of romantic situ with someone.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Cynna said:

Ugh. I didn't like her just by instinct, but her post TC comments (she said right away she wasn't going to see Taylor - this was long before finding out 'more' about him, and suggests she was using him) and her numerous interviews show her to be fairly self-centred and vindictive. The whole "I never would kiss him, yuck" thing - strange when you're in any sort of romantic situ with someone.

I'm not digging her now, either.  But I thought her post TC comment about "Figtayls will (may?) be back together, but not for a while" was suggesting Taylor would make it to the end rather than be joining her in sequesterland.  Which I didn't get, either.  

SK: On the flip side, who does not deserve to win at this point?

JF: The person that does not deserve to win is Taylor. No, that's mean of me. Other than Taylor, it would be Jessica. I just think she was saved by grace when David played his Idol. People are saving her and she's not doing enough for me. She should've gone home instead of Lucy. She owes her life to so many people in this game. I don't think she deserves right now to win. Same thing for Taylor.

Translation: I'm mad at Taylor for real-life reasons and I'm mad at Jessica because she was there when I got booted. 

Hands down favorite quote from the Day After video is "Yes, I didn't make it to day 39, but I know I could have if I were still in there..." Sooo, you could have won if you hadn't lost. Yep, that shit happens. 

So I guess they didn't have to wait until the reunion show after all.  So wait, were Figgy and Taylor actually dating when they got home?  I guess I thought she assumed they might have something, but found out about the girlfriend.  So this girl Taylor cheated on Figgy with?  Or did he cheat on the girlfriend with Figgy (nice to see the girlfriend isn't bitter, if that's the case).  I just thought that Taylor and Figgy's showmance was just a typical reality show hook up, and she was pissed to find out about a girlfriend, and that she came off looking bad.

I'm not clear on when this season filmed. That girl doesn't look too far along, so I guess the relationship could have been post-show, but it seems far more likely that he had the girlfriend first. 

ETA: Here's another interview with Figgy.  I have to say, after seeing how bitter she seems towards Taylor, I am a tad curious what led to their break up (if it was something besides him having a girlfriend/fiancée/wife).

Based on the way she was raving about Taylor and how genuine their relationship was in that day after video, I think she had plans to continue seeing him and this gf news threw her for a major loop. She even talks about putting gameplay aside in favor of feelings, which is a completely different story than what she's saying now that the "real life" stuff has been revealed. 

• Love 3

I never saw her last name and only now that this thread is on top do I know it's Figueroa, meaning she's Latina. I'm torn between wishing I'd known before so I'd've given her the benefit of the doubt; and being glad I didn't know so I didn't have to try to like her. I didn't hate her or anything but she reminds me of womenchildren who annoy me and I don't think I'd really enjoy her company.

I do always like to see my people cast, but it's up being disappointing when they're just cute camera-fodder who are spectacularly bad at the game.

ETA: Figgy is a totally natural nickname that a team would give a player. If my team had had a Figueroa, you'd better believe she'd've been "Figgy" by her second practice.

Edited by 303420
  • Love 1

Probably a good thing he didn't go on BB.  Otherwise 6 of the female HG plus the girlfriend might have all been showing up on Maury in 9 months, one million percent sure he's the dad.

So I looked at Taylor's twitter, and he has a photo that says 'adventure begins her November 2016' next to a crib, with the same thing he said in his IG photo about being a dad this winter.  So the girlfriend was pregnant while he was filming?  Filming started in March, ended in May.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

Well, there have been some developments to this story.  Taylor apparently tweeted about this today. He has since deleted the second tweet but the folks over at reddit saved a screen shot of it:

"ya I had a relationship before the show so when I got back things were pretty crazy. And then things ended with fig after that"

"it was known that I would do what I had to do to get ahead. I liked Fig in the game but not in real life"

This seems like a little revisionist history to me.  There was nothing on the show whatsoever. No confessional. No secret scene. Nothing, to indicate that his showmance with Figgy was part of some strategy.  Methinks this is the story he is telling his girlfriend as they are watching the show. Oh yeah honey it was all an act I tell ya!

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 11
On 10/27/2016 at 6:26 PM, LadyChatts said:

He was constantly googly-eyed and drooling over me and I couldn’t hide it.

Um, really? Because I'm sure you were the one who reached out to hold his hand during tribal. You could have not reciprocated and kept your lips to yourself. You were the one who cheered when Michelle was still there.

She is downright delusional and its sad that even watching it now doesn't clue her in to why she lost. 

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 2

He did look constantly googly eyed and drooling to me.  For sure she was a willing participant in the romance but I believe her that he made it hard to hide it. 

I feel so bad for her.  Hated by the Survivor community for absolutely no reason (people hate her so much they're hallucinating, "self-appointed nickname", "constantly talking trash behind people's backs", and the like), and the guy whose island horniness wrecked her game apparently a total cheating bastard.  I wouldn't blame her for being done with the whole thing but if she wants to come back I hope she kills it on her Second Chance.  (Yes, I'd rather see Mari back, but I think Figgy deserves it too.)

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 12
On 10/28/2016 at 3:34 PM, LadyChatts said:

So I looked at Taylor's twitter, and he has a photo that says 'adventure begins her November 2016' next to a crib, with the same thing he said in his IG photo about being a dad this winter.  So the girlfriend was pregnant while he was filming?  Filming started in March, ended in May.

According to Wikipedia, filming began in April.  Which is just a couple of days under 7 months from the date of this post.  So, in theory, Taylor could have had sex with a this woman before leaving (like a few days to a couple of weeks before), but not known she was pregnant until his return, which could be as late as mid-May if he made the jury phase.  Or we might get yet a Survivor first out of this situation if Taylor makes it to the family visit...

In any case, a conception in late March would still fit into a time frame of not knowing about the child right away, but still having a birthdate between November and January.

Jeff rarely talks to those eliminated early in the game so I don't expect to see any mention of this "scandal."   It would only serve to humiliate Taylor and Survivor is not that kind of show.  On the other  hand her mention of the truth coming out on the reunion does play to the notion that she was told to not talk about it.   I really hope not.  The reunion show never has enough time allotted to include things we would like to see.  

She is laughing through reading those tweets but I don't think she finds them funny at all.  

• Love 1

I found Figgy pleasant, generally likable, but bad at Survivor.  Her game play was mostly pretty poor... she chose to have a very public showmance... and she mistook Michelle's great play the second episode as proof that Taylor and she were the 'power couple.'  In reality, I think Figgy depended on Michelle to go deep into the game.  Once the shuffle separated them, Figgy became a mile-wide target, with little to protect her. 

Taylor seems like an idiot and a douchebag.  But Figgy let herself get seduced by this douchebag, in a game where that is often the kiss of death.  

The venom poured her way is totally uncalled-for, and IMO is a black mark on the people sending it, not Figgy. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Jeff rarely talks to those eliminated early in the game so I don't expect to see any mention of this "scandal."   It would only serve to humiliate Taylor and Survivor is not that kind of show.  On the other  hand her mention of the truth coming out on the reunion does play to the notion that she was told to not talk about it.   I really hope not.  The reunion show never has enough time allotted to include things we would like to see.  

She is laughing through reading those tweets but I don't think she finds them funny at all.  

I think if Taylor's girlfriend shows up in the reunion show audience pregnant or with an infant (and the couple is willing) that Jeff would mention it.  It would humiliate Figgy and they know by now she's not exactly the viewing audience's favorite.   Though in some respects it would validate her current dislike of him, too.  

Plus she did say we'd find out why they're not a couple anymore at the reunion show, so I figure the show asked her to let Taylor decide when/if he'd announce this development during the season, but told her that she could out him at the reunion show, either way.  

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think she has a lot of potential as a game player. If she could avoid showmances and dial back the passive-aggressiveness she can sometimes display during tribal council, I think she could do well.

• Love 2

Figgy's problem is that she's thinks she thinks she's a "Cool Girl." And she really believes it. If you don't know what a "Cool Girl" is Gillian Flynn spelled it out in Gone Girl

“Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl. 

Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they’re fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl...

... The bitch doesn’t really love chili dogs that much – no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They’re not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they’re pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be. Oh, and if you’re not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn’t want the Cool Girl. It may be a slightly different version – maybe he’s a vegetarian, so Cool Girl loves seitan and is great with dogs; or maybe he’s a hipster artist, so Cool Girl is a tattooed, bespectacled nerd who loves comics. There are variations to the window dressing, but believe me, he wants Cool Girl, who is basically the girl who likes every fucking thing he likes and doesn’t ever complain."

Poor Figgy. She's delusional and got her first true sexual politics lesson live on TV and the internet.

• Love 3

That's such a good passage of Flynn's but I'm not sure we saw enough of Figgy to say that description applies.  She didn't even seem all that crazy about Taylor, much less making herself into his dream woman and letting him shit on her (metaphorically).  And she's doing plenty of complaining now. 

That video where Figgy read those tweets brought a tear to my eye.

Until I read that after she made that recording, she boiled and ate the puppy.

(Just kidding. I didn't know how else to respond to such a thing).

What was that song by Smashing Pumpkins? The world is a Vampire? Ever since watching that video, I just can't get that tune out of my mind.

On 2016-11-02 at 4:26 PM, MrsR said:

Figgy's problem is that she's thinks she thinks she's a "Cool Girl." And she really believes it. If you don't know what a "Cool Girl" is Gillian Flynn spelled it out in Gone Girl

<snip>

Poor Figgy. She's delusional and got her first true sexual politics lesson live on TV and the internet.

Great post! One of the most entertaining posts I've ever read on this forum. Well done!