Type keyword(s) to search

People Of Earth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Why, oh, why did TBS move this show to 10:30 pm??!  It's going to be a struggle for me--I can hardly keep awake past the 8:00 hour, much less 10:00. . .  Need to come up with some kind of stay-awake strategy!  That said, I can hardly wait until tomorrow night!

TBS had the Season 1 marathon on this morning.  Missed most of it since I didn't realize it was on until almost the end of the marathon.  Was good to able to watch what little of it that I could manage.

(edited)

So I did catch the entire Season 1 marathon this morning. I saw a commercial for it sometime yesterday I think and didn't even realize this was a show so I'm glad they did that before the premiere of S2 tomorrow.

I have lots of thoughts! I really like this show although I don't necessarily find it laugh out loud funny which normally kills a comedy for me.

Wyatt Cenac is fantastic as Ozzie. The only place I knew him from was an episode of the podcast "How Did This Get Made" and I loved him on that and his dry delivery here where I can see his face just makes me love him more. I'll have to find some of his other stuff.

I wonder how things will change now that Ozzie and Gina are aware they were both life experiencers and if they realize that everyone else from Starcrossed is too. And I'm deeply curious to see how things will change between him and Jonathan now that he seems to have figured out Jonathan was his Snake Man.

I really like Jonathan and I was really worried they'd killed him off in the finale so I was glad to see him tinkering with Nancy's head at the end. I hope he'll help out the humans in S2. Although I can't see how he'll manage it now that he can't cover up his scales with a scarf.

What do you suppose Don White's endgame is? Does he actually have someone in Iceland who can act like his mother? Or is he just winging it with Kelly?

I'm super sad that Yvonne and Gerry didn't get their date. I can't decide whether I'm happy for Gerry that he finally got his experience or more sad that those two crazy kids might be on the rocks because of it.

I have a question though... when he confided to Ozzie that he'd never been abducted it seemed like it was a secret but further down the line it seems like the whole group knew Gerry hadn't had an experience. Did I see that wrong or was he just there as the "Alientologist"?

So glad I didn't discover this show until right before the S2 premiere. Don't know how you all have lasted! LOL

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 3

Yes, Nasim Pedrad already fits into this show very well.

Not the strongest episode but still funny.  Jeff is the best.

Did the actor who played Ennis the farmer leave?  I didn't see him tonight.

• Love 4

So glad the show is back. It's going to be hard to have to wait a week to see new episodes since I binge watched the first season. I'm glad they showed what happened last season because even though I saw it a few months back, I had forgotten a couple of things. Happy to see that Nancy is still with us and still as snarky as ever. I loved the part where Don was trying to find his "mother" and his relief when she didn't speak English. Despite their obvious problems, I'm rooting for those two. LOL 

Nice to see Gerry is enjoying his abduction experience and making a good impression on the newest addition to the alien team, Eric the floating box.  And Gerry and Eric seem to have hit it off so let's see what becomes of that. Could it be the beginning of a beautiful bromance?  ; )

Was anyone else waiting for the vacuum cleaner to start making clunking noises when it sucked up the finger?

I agree, Nasim Pedrad works well on the show and I'm interested to see where her character goes. 

Overall, a good start to the season.

• Love 4
(edited)

Enjoyed the Season 2 premiere.  So much going on!

So, I guess this isn't some type of "Space Aliens Conquer Earth" type of thing, but more "Big Multi-Star System Mega-Corporation Enslaves Earthlings to Provide Labor for Their Various Business Ventures"?  (What with Eric's talk of mergers and takeovers. . .)

I think that was Don's funniest moment in the series by far when he pretended that the strange woman in the hospital was his mother and then had that moment talking to himself in the mirror trying to get up his nerve to confess about all the lies he had told.

Richard is seriously delusional.  "My girlfriend, Nancy," indeed!  (Loved it when the FBI agent was viewing the interrogation recording with the collaborator cop rolling his eyes at the camera when Richard made his statements about Reptilian Aliens.)

Yay, Gerry!

Have mixed feelings about all the previews they showed at the end of the episode.  On the one hand, the previews made me eager to see all the rest of the episodes for this season; on the other hand, it's nice to have some surprises left when a new episode is shown.

Father Doug and Chelsea?  Still haven't changed my mind:  Ew. . .

Edited by officetemp
  • Love 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, officetemp said:

Enjoyed the Season 2 premiere.  So much going on!

So, I guess this isn't some type of "Space Aliens Conquer Earth" type of thing, but more "Big Multi-Star System Mega-Corporation Enslaves Earthlings to Provide Labor for Their Various Business Ventures"?  (What with Eric's talk of mergers and takeovers. . .)

I don't think it's really that important necessarily. They've always been portrayed as working for a vast bureaucratic organization where what goes on in the field is far removed from any overall mission. I could see the grand plan being anything without a problem. And honestly I don't care if it's ever actually revealed. The real story is about these particular aliens and these particular humans not about The Aliens and Earth.

I think that was Don's funniest moment in the series by far when he pretended that the strange woman in the hospital was his mother and then had that moment talking to himself in the mirror trying to get up his nerve to confess about all the lies he had told.

I actually preferred when he got back and the old lady's real family was there with her "message".

Father Doug and Chelsea?  Still haven't changed my mind:  Ew. . .

Agreed. It's unnecessary and beyond the eww factor it doesn't really add anything for me. And it's just not funny.

Edited by wknt3
fixed phrasing and eliminated possible ambiguity
  • Love 2

TBS rebroadcast Episode 1 at 7:30 EDT this evening (Wednesday).  I hope they're planning on a re-show every week.

Missed a kind of throwaway line during the initial broadcast:  One of Eric's security detail, on meeting Jeff, says, [paraphrasing] " . . .I thought they [the Greys] were extinct!"  I wonder if Jeff is supposed to be the last of his species or maybe there are just a very few of them left?

Really curious how the Agent Foster character will develop.  And yes, Ennis needs to come back!

How many episodes will be shown this season?

(I still wish they could resurrect Kurt!)

• Love 2

I thought last week's episode was alright and I thought this episode was really funny.  H. Jon Benjamin is never not funny and he was great in the opening scene.  More Jeff, my favorite character on the show.  More Richard and Jerry and the Agent Foster character continues to be a great fit for the show.

• Love 2

Loved this episode! I seriously threw my hands in the air when they showed Paul Lieberstein (Toby, The Office). He will be a great addition as a reptilian. There's so many shenanigans that it's hard to predict where the show is going and I love it. Once again, Richard is correct, this time about the FBI being reptilians. Also, Margaret in '77... 

• Love 4

The finger in the vacuum bag was a robotic finger, right? So that supports the story that a robot exploded, and they cleaned it up. But she reacted like it was something new. I guess she didn't believe the "crazy rantings" -- but if the robot explosion story was proved real to her, does that really change anything, from her point of view?

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The finger in the vacuum bag was a robotic finger, right? So that supports the story that a robot exploded, and they cleaned it up. But she reacted like it was something new. I guess she didn't believe the "crazy rantings" -- but if the robot explosion story was proved real to her, does that really change anything, from her point of view?

Yes, it was Nancy's robot finger. I think it really changes the FBI agent's POV. She thinks she's looking for a white color criminal in Jonathan Walsh, not robots and aliens. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, saratothej said:

Loved this episode! I seriously threw my hands in the air when they showed Paul Lieberstein (Toby, The Office).

So did I. And I was wondering who that was. I was going to look it up so thanks for clearing that up.

3 hours ago, saratothej said:

Yes, it was Nancy's robot finger. I think it really changes the FBI agent's POV. She thinks she's looking for a white color criminal in Jonathan Walsh, not robots and aliens. 

After that last scene, I thought to myself, well, StarCrossed is going to have a new member soon. Agent Foster is smart and is already questioning her boss wanting her to let him know where Walsh is before anyone else.  I hope we see her in future episodes start to put the pieces together and helping to uncover the truth.

The entire episode was great. Loved Glimmer trying to cover with Agent Foster and Walsh's exasperated looks at his clumsy attempts to think up credible excuses on the spot. I am looking forward to seeing Foster's reaction when she finally sees Walsh and hopefully she gets to see (what's left of) Nancy as well.

Edited by Desperately Random

This was a great episode and I'm loving season two so far. Just wish Ozzie wasn't about to sell Walsh out. For a reptilian he's kinda cool. ? 

Yvonne pepper spraying Gerry cracked me up more than it should have.

Call me crazy but I think Eric the box has an agenda in regards to Jeff the Grey. ? 

• Love 2

Another solid episode. I'm so happy for Gerry but disappointed that he isn't able to remember his experience yet. I know a lot of people aren't wild about the Chelsea/Father Doug situation, but I don't mind it. It's a fun side story. Glimmer faking the heart attack was great and I'm so glad they didn't kill him off but total dick move on his part to sell out Walsh. It's clear that Walsh really cares about Ozzie and is willing to risk his life to keep him safe. 

• Love 6

I was so surprised that Kurt doesn't know how Jeff feels. I thought they had been an actual couple before the accident.

I was also surprised by Foster's flashback. So she's "an experiencer" too? Maybe everyone is, since apparently the takeover is well underway.

I also was surprised that formerly blonde woman whose name I can't remember even though it was an actual plot point reacted so badly to the revelation that Don was her alien.

Still hate the Chelsea and Father Doug story.

• Love 1

I watched last season and am so glad it's back!!  This show is so funny!!!  This has a Best in Show vibe which makes total sense since the creator also worked on the The Office and Parks and Recreation which all have the same irreverence.   

I really want to know what Margaret did in 1977!  I don't know if that was just a funny thing for her to say or there is something to it...

Glad that Gerry is an Experiencer now! 

For the record: I do not like the Father Doug and Chelsea thing at all!! 

• Love 1
Just now, crgirl412 said:

I watched last season and am so glad it's back!!  This show is so funny!!!  This has a Best in Show vibe which makes total sense since the creator also worked on the The Office and Parks and Recreation which all have the same irreverence.   

I really want to know what Margaret did in 1977!  I don't know if that was just a funny thing for her to say or there is something to it...

Glad that Gerry is an Experiencer now! 

For the record: I do not like the Father Doug and Chelsea thing at all!! 

I thought she said she broke Timothy Leary out of jail (prison?). 

• Love 2

This is a pleasant enough show, but it's not quite there for me. I think it's because it is such a closed world (no pun intended). We have our Star Crossed group, which is together a lot. And the aliens above, who are together a lot. And in between, there is little meaningful interaction with the world, anyone else in town who does or doesn't believe them. It's all very insulated and there isn't continuity beyond the key characters with each other.

And even so, I'm not sure why the aliens are abducting humans, and why they tell each human they are special as part of it, and  what the bigger plan is and why there seem to be different perspectives from the various aliens toward humans. The aliens seem to be The Office in space. I knew what the company in the office did, and understood its environment.

Agent Foster is in fact a great addition. I don't like the very quick connection from her to an alien flashback, though. I like her disbelieving snark better, as she gets to know the people around her and slowly show signs of empathy.

I don't hate Chelsea and Father Doug, in fact, I wish the show would try to say more about the issue of a priest knowing aliens exist (what does that mean for religion?) or a priest in love, but I don't know what their story has to do with anything. 

I'll keep watching because it seems harmless and there is some decent character building happening.

It seems like the show is leaning towards Chelsea going back to her repentant husband and Doug not being allowed to leave the priesthood, which is my least favorite option. Be together or apart, please. Continued thwarted mooning will make me cross.

I've kind of forgotten why I liked Kurt so much since Don has taken on the role of interacting with humans. It'll be interesting to see where the writers take Kurt. 

Don's repeated memory wipes of Chelsea were great -- yeah, dude. No good way to break that news.

Also, bring back Ennis! Are he and Margaret still loving it up?

Edited by 2727
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Ottis said:

And in between, there is little meaningful interaction with the world, anyone else in town who does or doesn't believe them. It's all very insulated and there isn't continuity beyond the key characters with each other.

Which also means that they is not much dramatic tension. Season 1 sort of had the aliens as a kind of antagonist, but that didn't last as they turned out to have their own...problems. Now they bring Agent Foster on as a foil for the group, but it's already clear that she is also an abductee, so it won't be long before that dissipates.

21 hours ago, 2727 said:

Also, bring back Ennis! Are he and Margaret still loving it up?

Wait, what? Ennis the gay farmer? (I think the actor playing Ennis is still in the Broadway production of Kinky Boots, btw -- probably why he seems to have been written out.)

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

Wait, what? Ennis the gay farmer? (I think the actor playing Ennis is still in the Broadway production of Kinky Boots, btw -- probably why he seems to have been written out.)

Yikes on me! Who was the old guy Margaret was sleeping with -- wasn't he one of the group?

I don't mind the lack of interaction with the general public. From my perspective, it allows us to go deeper into the characters and their realtionships with each other. It becomes less of a story about a war to take over (or save) the species, and more a story about how people (and aliens) deal with the fallout of getting to know each other and navigate conflicting missions. If they all unite to fight the vague threat, and we get to see bonding and weirdness, I'm fine with that. I like that there's not a lot of adrenaline and action in this show. I like action shows sometimes, but I'm savoring the less conflict, less hyper vibe this season. I think maybe I'm just too tense in my real life right now to want more tension in my TV.

• Love 10

Wow, so much going on in this episode after things seemed to have been moving in slow motion the first couple of episodes this season.

Random thoughts, not necessarily confined to the latest episode:

I'm glad Father Doug is insisting that "we do this right"--him leaving the priesthood, Chelsea leaving her husband.  Anything else would have seemed squicky to me.  I liked it a lot when the front desk clerk at the hotel turned out to be someone that Father Doug knew from before.  (Had he been an altar boy?  Can't remember.)

Liked Glimmer's "heart attack" but sorry that he's got a gambling addiction.

Eric's treatment of Jeff is drearily familiar to anyone who's experienced the transition after a corporate buyout:  Old staff does excellent job; new manager pretends to be everyone's friend at first with the false joviality; new manager then makes life miserable for everyone whom he wants to get rid of; old staff, despite years of experience and excelling in everything they do, will never be able to please new boss and ends up out on their butts and unemployed with their reputations destroyed.

I think Eric's programmed Gerry to be a loaded gun/ticking time bomb--Eric's secret weapon for the final confrontation with whoever happens to be in the resistance.  Maybe that's the reason why the Reptilian/White/Grey Alliance got bought out by Eric's Floating Box Corporation.  Could it be that the Resistance had gotten too big for the original Alliance to suppress, so they decided to join up with a bigger organization to smash the Resistance?  Also, I wonder if Eric's dislike of Jeff has some type of Racial/Species bigotry component?  Are the Reptilians the biggest group of Aliens?  How did the Aliens form their alliance in the first place?  How old are Jonathan, Jeff, Don and Kurt?  Is Jeff the last of his species or are there small populations of Greys scattered throughout the galaxy?

Yay, Kurt is back!

Was Agent Foster a human baby who was abducted from her parents shortly after she born, or is she an Alien/Human hybrid?  Or, is she a fully human product of a breeding experiment that was conducted on the Alien ship?  If so, were her biological parents (genetic material contributors) possibly members of StarCrossed?

Nancy!

I liked the direction that Ozzie's character had been going this season with his throwing himself wholeheartedly into the hunt for the truth about the Aliens and accepting without reservation that he had been an experiencer.  Then--Oh, no!  Ozzie!  Lead character, right?  So I think he's in suspended animation/stunned as AnimeMania said.

The Deer!

On 8/18/2017 at 11:44 AM, 2727 said:

Yikes on me! Who was the old guy Margaret was sleeping with -- wasn't he one of the group?

I think he's a fellow resident in the independent living facility where Margaret lives.

Edited by officetemp
  • Love 3

Question for some eagle-eyed viewer:

There was a "rack" of sorts way behind Gina in the church meeting room. The rack had some quite colorful items on it (mittens??). Anyway, I'm a knitter & I'd love to see that rack up close to see if it would hold my crap that I knit. Maybe I could figure out who makes it (IKEA?, pier 1?).

Wow. Poor Ozzie. I hope he is just stunned somehow- He is a lead character, so I wouldn't think he would be killed off mid-season!!  I like his reaction to Walsh taking off his face.  Walsh does seem genuine, I wonder where they took him. Back up to the ship to face the cube?

Agent Foster seems to like Ozzie. They would make a cute couple. As soon as she realizes she is an abductee, they will have lots to talk about!!!

oh and I just found out that on the TBS website and app that you can watch the episode the day of the airing, I watched it Monday morning, before it aired at 10:30 pm. I had a late shift at work, so I was able to see it before I left!

11 hours ago, rhys said:

There was a "rack" of sorts way behind Gina in the church meeting room. The rack had some quite colorful items on it (mittens??). Anyway, I'm a knitter & I'd love to see that rack up close to see if it would hold my crap that I knit. Maybe I could figure out who makes it (IKEA?, pier 1?).

The rack is either clear but far away, or closer but out-of-focus. But here's a shot.

Spools.jpg

On 7/23/2017 at 5:17 PM, officetemp said:

Why, oh, why did TBS move this show to 10:30 pm??!  It's going to be a struggle for me--I can hardly keep awake past the 8:00 hour, much less 10:00. . .  Need to come up with some kind of stay-awake strategy!  That said, I can hardly wait until tomorrow night!

I know, right?  My husband and I used to watch this together.  It was like the perfect way to cap off a Monday night.  Funny and not too deep or dramatic.  Now I usually watch by myself, or we watch it together on the app later. 

On 7/25/2017 at 6:03 PM, wknt3 said:

I don't think it's really that important necessarily. They've always been portrayed as working for a vast bureaucratic organization where what goes on in the field is far removed from any overall mission. I could see the grand plan being anything without a problem. And honestly I don't care if it's ever actually revealed. The real story is about these particular aliens and these particular humans not about The Aliens and Earth.

I feel like they will never get around to implementing the actual plan or invasion or whatever, because it will be held up by all the bureaucracy and red tape.  Stuff written by Mike Judge and Greg Daniels often showcases the absurdity of corporations and businesses.

21 hours ago, jbrecken said:

Do we think they killed off Ozzie for good?

No.  If they can bring Kurt back after a month or so of being dead, surely they can bring Ozzie back.

12 hours ago, rhys said:

I think it's just a rack of yarn.  I'm also a knitter, and I notice it every time.  Googling "yarn cone rack" or "yarn cone holder" brings up some options, but none exactly like the one on the show.  Maybe it was originally meant to hold something else, like hats?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, rhys said:

Might be something similar to this yarn tree.

• Love 1

E6: Aftermath.  

I just watched this episode on the TBS app. 

Poor Foster! Now she has the free time to really investigate Ozzie's 'murder'. Although now that the bad reptilian guys know she is maybe suspicious of the entire circumstance with Ozzie, she might be in danger too. So glad to see Nancy back and kicking ass.

I cant imagine that Ozzie is gone for good, so I think Walsh will somehow be successful in reviving him. I am sure Jeff won't tell him about 'True Loves Kiss'. Won't someone notice the big hole in the ground where the casket was??

Jeff's mutiny will be entertaining!

This is such a fun show.

I don't think I'm liking Season 2 as much as I thought I would.

1. Not enough aliens.

2. The mysterious, and unremarked up, disappearance of Ennis Hart.

3. Ozzie's death. I went looking for information about this so I am going to Spoiler the rest of this:

Spoiler

The show's creators say that Ozzie is really and truly dead even if they do hedge this a wee little bit. They say they are moving to more of an anthology type program like Fargo, which I don't watch, with some core characters. To me it sounds a bit like the TBS show 'The Guest Book" which has a group of core cast and then guest stars that come and go each week. I don't know how that will work with People of Earth but I know I am much less emotionally attached than I was this time last season.

• Love 3