Type keyword(s) to search

The Alienist In The Media

Daniel Brühl (Rush, Inglorious Bastards) and Luke Evans (The Girl on The Train, The Hobbit trilogy) have been cast in key roles in The Alienist, TNT’s upcoming straight-to-series drama.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/the-alienist-daniel-bruhl-luke-evans-cast-tnt-drama-series-1201860525/

Luke is one of my favorite actors, so I'm super pumped! I also love this type of genre, and time period, so I have high hopes for it. TNT wouldn't be my first choice for a network, but they do alright.

(edited)

I think I'm still going to wait to read the books until after watching the series. I think I'll enjoy the show more without being spoiled. But the trailer has me super pumped! I love the look and feel of everything, and the costumes are wonderful. Daniel and Luke look like they are going to rock it, but I'm not feeling Dakota at all. She looks like a child next to a bunch of grown men. I've read a bit about the characters in the book, and I thought Sarah was suppose to be closer to John's age, and a brunette. I guess I was just picturing something completely different. Also, I thought John and Sarah were just suppose to be friends, but the trailer makes it look like they are more. Perhaps the producers thought they needed to add some sexual tension for modern audiences?

I'm curious to know what people who have read the book think about the trailer.

Also, I'm a bit creeped out by the young boys. I guess I wasn't expecting them to look SO young, although it's probably historically accurate. :(

Edited by pezgirl7

I read the book some time ago so it's been long enough that I won't get hung up on changes made for the tv adaptation. That said, I'm also not feeling Dakota Fanning as Sarah. She looks like she's still in high school.

I do recall that the crimes committed against the young male victims were pretty horrendous. Imagining it in your head when you're reading is one thing...seeing it on tv is going to be quite another.

• Love 1

Press release (excerpt):

The Alienist opens when a series of haunting, gruesome murders of boy prostitutes grips New York City. Newly appointed police commissioner Theodore Roosevelt (Geraghty) calls upon criminal psychologist (aka alienist) Dr. Laszlo Kreizler (Brühl) and newspaper illustrator John Moore (Evans) to conduct the investigation in secret. They are joined by Sara Howard (Fanning), a headstrong secretary determined to become the city's first female police detective. Using the emerging disciplines of psychology and early forensic investigation techniques, this band of social outsiders set out to find and apprehend one of New York City's first serial killers.

The Alienist also stars Douglas Smith (Miss Sloane) and Matthew Shear (Mistress America) as Marcus and Lucius Isaacson, twin brothers who help unravel the disturbing mystery; Matt Lintz (Pixels) as Stevie, a tough, young boy employed by Dr. Kreizler as a driver and errand boy; Robert Ray Wisdom (The Wire) as Cyrus, Kreizler's valet, a man with a dark past who has been reformed by Kreizler; and Q'orianka Kilcher (The New World) as Mary, Kreizler's mute maid with whom he shares a special unspoken connection.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2017/10/16/tnt-launches-new-psychological-thriller-the-alienist-jan-22-605115/20171016tnt01/

38 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

The old trailers showed the young male prostitutes in drag. Those have been censored from the new ads. From the series too?

I don't think they have been censored, they've just been focusing on other parts of the story. Although I think the boy prostitutes are a main part of the story, from what I know of it (I haven't read the book), but I just can't imagine them editing out those parts. The show is on cable, and unfortunately, it's historically accurate.

• Love 1

So, this looks awesome, but I'm curious about the marketing for it.  It's supposedly a limited-run 8-episode series, and I know they've invested a lot in its production; but they've been advertising it constantly for at least 6 months.  I watch a lot of daytime TNT, and I probably see a dozen ads for this every day.  I guess that constant exposure would make sense to me if they intend for this to run for years, but for an 8-episode series?

I realize this is TNT's typical MO.  I remember Good Behavior getting the same treatment for what seemed like a year before it finally aired, but that was for a potential long-running series.  I don't know anything about the source material, so please no spoilers, but is TNT hoping to expand this over time, or are they just going ape-shit promoting this one limited run?

There was a sequel to the initial book, so there is potential for at least another miniseries. I always hoped that the author would continue with the characters after that one sequel, but alas, he never returned to them.

Edited by Sharpie66
23 hours ago, sarthaz said:

So, this looks awesome, but I'm curious about the marketing for it.  It's supposedly a limited-run 8-episode series, and I know they've invested a lot in its production; but they've been advertising it constantly for at least 6 months

I think it's actually suppose to be 10 episodes. Since they spent $5 million an episode, I think they just want to make sure enough people watch it in order to get their money back! Also, I feel like they're kind of trying to rebrand themselves to show that they have cool shows like other networks. Like Sharpie said, there is a sequel book that contains the main characters, so I can definitely see them making a second season if the first season does well.

3 hours ago, orza said:

It could be that Daniel Brühl only committed to do one season. He's a very busy actor and may not be available or interested in doing a season 2.

I find it hard to imagine that they would sign him if he wasn't open to doing a second season. Unless they never planned on doing one.

Here's some interesting info about TV ads for The Alienist, which ranked #1 for impressions for the 7-day period through Dec. 31. The attention score is very high! All the ads I saw were very compelling and thrilling.

Impressions: 345,806,656

Attention Score: 93.73

Attention Index: 122 (22% fewer interruptions than avg.)

Imp. Types: National 91%, Local 6%, VOD/OTT 3%

In-network Value: $6,281,267

Out-of-network Est. Spend: $174,604

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/tnt-s-alienist-gets-tv-s-biggest-promo-push/170853?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

How ‘The Alienist’ Finally Found a Screen

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/05/arts/television/alienist-tnt-caleb-carr.html

Mr. Carr sounded annoyed that his being named a consulting producer meant little in practice. “My contribution was neither sought or when it was volunteered, paid attention to,” he said.

But he had no complaints that the project’s original main creative force, Cary Fukunaga (“Beasts of No Nation,” “True Detective”), left “The Alienist” before filming started. His take on the story was too salacious and “nearly completely mistaken,” Mr. Carr said.

Mr. Carr also said he liked much of the pilot, the only episode he’s watched, praising in particular the visuals and performances by Mr. Brühl and Mr. Evans. Finally seeing his most famous story onscreen, after decades of starts, stops and misfires, brought a sense of bifurcation, he said, as he separated his author self from his viewer one in an effort to assess the series’s chances in an overstuffed TV universe. But it brought no relief, at least not yet.

“I’ll feel a sense of relief if it succeeds,” he said. “If it doesn’t, it’s just further frustration.”

• Love 2

Thank you for that article, pezgirl7!! It’s a great overview of what appeals about the book. Sounds like the author is a real pill, but I was thrilled to read that he is retuming to the series! Can’t wait for book 3 in September.

• Love 1
On 1/6/2018 at 10:21 AM, Sharpie66 said:

Thank you for that article, pezgirl7!! It’s a great overview of what appeals about the book. Sounds like the author is a real pill, but I was thrilled to read that he is retuming to the series! Can’t wait for book 3 in September.

Sharpie66 you should read up about Carr's father. That is quite a family.

• Love 1

The first episode. last night, was very disappointing.  Whoever played T. Roosevelt is awful.  Terrible lighting...I know it is dark, or they are in an abandoned warehouse, whatever...I'm just so tired of trying to watch something filmed in the dark.

From indiewire.com: ‘The Alienist’: Luke Evans Sheds Light on His Character’s Sad and Twisted Brothel Habits

Also has some info about John's relationship with Sara, and this bit, which I think some viewers didn't really grasp from the first episode.

"All our main characters, they’re all alienated in some kind of way,” he said. “They’re loners because they represent new ideas. Society doesn’t accept them. What they know and will understand is that they need each other. They will create this surrogate family. I think over the course of 10 episodes, we’ll get to know more and more about these people and the demons they carry with them. I think it’s because of Kreizler that they make peace with their past. You have to understand your own past in order to continue in life.”

On 1/23/2018 at 6:21 PM, skippy said:

The first episode. last night, was very disappointing.  Whoever played T. Roosevelt is awful.  Terrible lighting...I know it is dark, or they are in an abandoned warehouse, whatever...I'm just so tired of trying to watch something filmed in the dark.

I agree- I watched it twice and due to the darkness I had trouble seeing what was going on. I did meet a woman a few years ago who was 100 years old and when I asked her what was the biggest change in 100 years and she said "the world was so bright now", so maybe the darkness is appropriate.

• Love 1

Some behind the scenes featurettes from TNT!

The birth of psychology:

Daniel Brühl, Luke Evans, & Dakota Fanning interview (week 1):

Daniel Brühl, Luke Evans, & Dakota Fanning interview (week 2):

The dying art of the autopsy:

The birth of psychology and forensics:

Behind Sara's look:

History of the serial killer:

How the other half died:

Building the world of The Alienist (this is one of those 360 videos so you can click on the screen to view up, down, and all around):

Luke Evans gives a tour of the set:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

The trailer for Luke Evans' next film, 10x10, was just released. I think it looks really thrilling and angsty, and I'm happy with the way it seems to have turned out, since I think it had a very low budget. The film comes out on April 13th in the US.

Reilly plays Cathy, an entrepreneur a few days away from opening her new business when she is attacked, kidnapped, and locked in a 10x10 room. But the story gets complicated when her mysterious assailant (Evans) demands just one thing from her: her name. As the mystery unfolds, it becomes clear Cathy knows more than she is letting on and may not be the true victim of the story.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Behind the scenes: New York in 1896

Just watched this. So glad that John's line "Women have been yammering on about the right to vote for decades." was cut from the final version!

And that shot of Teddy with his daughters was cute!

Don't know if I'm posting on the right page, but I found something for all the Luke Evans fans out there. Go to YouTube and search for "Sexiest male vocal riff-off w/ Usher and Luke Evans". It's a clip from James Corden's show. So sexy. Enjoy. 

I couldn't get the link to attach. Sorry

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Reality police said:

Don't know if I'm posting on the right page, but I found something for all the Luke Evans fans out there. Go to YouTube and search for "Sexiest male vocal riff-off w/ Usher and Luke Evans". It's a clip from James Corden's show. So sexy. Enjoy. 

I couldn't get the link to attach. Sorry

Ahh that's probably my second favorite clip of him singing. I'm never deleting it off my DVR! Second favorite would be him singing Delilah, and third is him and Hugh Jackman singing Gaston on a UK talk show. He loves to sing. :) Dakota said Luke would break out into song when they called cut, and would make up songs about the scene they were filming.

Honorable mention goes to Luke singing When We Were Young by Adele, back when he had blonde hair. Sorry, but Luke singing is one of my favorite things in the world, and I could make a list of probably 20 videos.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Ahh that's probably my second favorite clip of him singing. I'm never deleting it off my DVR! Second favorite would be him singing Delilah, and third is him and Hugh Jackman singing Gaston on a UK talk show. He loves to sing. :) Dakota said Luke would break out into song when they called cut, and would make up songs about the scene they were filming.

Honorable mention goes to Luke singing When We Were Young by Adele, back when he had blonde hair. Sorry, but Luke singing is one of my favorite things in the world, and I could make a list of probably 20 videos.

Glad to have someone else fanout with me. I love all those clips. Have you seen the clips from The Graham Norton show? I agree about the blonde hair, not for him. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Reality police said:

Glad to have someone else fanout with me. I love all those clips. Have you seen the clips from The Graham Norton show? I agree about the blonde hair, not for him. 

Yes, I've seen pretty much seen everything Luke has done. He's my favorite actor. :) I still remember when he posted the first photo of him with blonde hair, and everyone freaked out. I hated it at first, but then once it started to grow out a little, I actually like it! And I think it's very striking in black and white photos. But his natural dark hair is the best. And now it's got a nice salt and pepper to it. :)

On 4/7/2018 at 7:28 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Oh I love him singing Delilah, it's wonderful, not just because he sounds amazing vocally but he does all these little acting out motions during the song, he's really into it and it makes it so  much fun to listen to and watch.  For the better part of the a week I've been kind of addicted to it, I keep going back and watching.  He really has a beautiful voice.  There was an interview with Daniel Bruhl where he also mentioned Luke was always breaking out into song. LOL Maybe all those musicals where people suddenly break out into song aren't so unrealistic after all.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Reality police said:

@pezgirl7, love those pix. I am a newbie to Luke Evans, but I can't get enough of him. I've got to go back and watch his other stuff. 

From the stuff I've seen it looks like a good chance for a second season. Let's keep our fingers crossed. 

Many of his films are on cable and Netflix. I just saw that one of his first films, Tamara Drewe, is going to be on MTV2 on Wednesday. My favorite character of his is Detective Fields in The Raven. Not the best film, but it's fun. He's had so many different roles, you'll be sure to find a favorite. :)

I was talking to someone on Twitter who is going to be interviewing him soon for The Alienist, because of Emmy season coming up. If the show can get some Emmy nods, and if the actors are available, I think it'll be a shoo-in for a second season.

14 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

Oh I love him singing Delilah, it's wonderful, not just because he sounds amazing vocally but he does all these little acting out motions during the song, he's really into it and it makes it so  much fun to listen to and watch.

Oh yes! I also love that he called his mom to listen in. He's such a mama's boy. :) Have you seen the video of him and Josh Gad being interviewed by two boys for Beauty and the Beast, and the boys start singing The Mob Song? Luke get's really into it. lol  And if you've never watched the video of him making a prank call to a pest control company, drop everything and watch it! He's so expressive.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

LOL Oh my goodness those were priceless.  The kids were cute.  He and Josh really made great promo partners.

Disney struck gold with those two! I think some fans enjoyed their interview together more than the actual film! lol They're doing another movie together called Supernormal, and even though it's for Netflix, I'm hoping they do some promotion together!

10 hours ago, Reality police said:

I have seen those videos. The prank to the pest company was priceless. He did better than I thought he would. Been watching everything I could find to help with withdrawals.

Thanks @pezgirl7

You're welcome! Maybe you'd be interested in this video I made which showcases Luke's talent for doing different voices and accents, and singing. I plan on updating it, especially with his recent Robot Chicken appearance.

20 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Disney struck gold with those two! I think some fans enjoyed their interview together more than the actual film! lol They're doing another movie together called Supernormal, and even though it's for Netflix, I'm hoping they do some promotion together!

You're welcome! Maybe you'd be interested in this video I made which showcases Luke's talent for doing different voices and accents, and singing. I plan on updating it, especially with his recent Robot Chicken appearance.

You now have a new follower. I love that laugh about a third of the way in. 

Thanks.

• Love 1