Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: I Love Lucy

• Start Topic

That is why you should wrap it up. When Sam was telling his story, I thought we were going to find out that he was Dutch's long lost brother especially when Dutch started talking about all her brothers and sisters. I was hoping that we would get more of Dutch's back story or at least see her husband but I guess we kind of know mostly everything except family wise if they are still out there. I wonder why Khylen wanted Dutch's husband dead. Had he been planning his death since he was a little boy.

Edited by Kuther2000
Wanted to add

Was that the actual Lucy actress, Tamsen McDonough, who does the voice of Lucy appearing as one of the bots?
I don't know about everyone else, but I enjoyed this episode. I'm wondering what's gonna happen to Sabine. Is everyone D'av has sex with gonna get sick with green goo and go into seizures?

• Love 2

D'Avin: Lucy, we are not machines.
Lucy: You have other good qualities.

Oh, Lucy - your shade is impeccable.

Fun episode. San was an interesting character. And I also thought he was going to have a connection to Dutch. 

One thing I do not understand is why Johnny has to keep his and Pawter's plan to free Old Town from Dutch and D'Avin.

• Love 3

Poor woman. Bad sex with no foreplay and then she is infected with green goo that kills. Sucks to be her. I was about to complain that I rather see Johnny and Pawter or Dutch and Alvis when she keeled over.

I am enjoying Johnny and Pawter a lot. I am glad that they have found ways to keep them in physical contact. I smiled when Johnny jumped in surprise that she was really there.

I hope that we are closer to finding out about this ongoing mystery about the goo.

Johnny's excitement about having "powers" was funny and kind of sweet.

• Love 2

Nothing about the collector was really very interesting. "Be naked" etc. was embarrassing even for scifi I felt. Lucy-bot kissing Johnny was shoe horned in. It advanced the plot with new info on D'Avin's powers over green goo, I guess. But I'm not sure I'm interested in alien invasion. Space war is so very hard to do because it is so stupid. 

Why would Alvis cut himself after realizing the cutting wasn't about the redemption of pain, but proving no green goo? The only thing that comes to mind is proving how Dutch is more important than religion/God, but we knew that already.

Hey, it's Rami from Tyrant!  Fun seeing Keon Alexander as Sam, although I didn't find his eyebrows as noticeable like they were on Tyrant.  Hope we see the character again.  Maybe he'll bump into Clara, and there can be a whole big reunion somewhere down the line.

Man, that was a dark and depressing ending, for a mainly fun episode.  I'm guessing D'Avin totally accidentally killed Sabine with all that sexing.  I had a feeling something bad was going down with the way they were dragging it out, but I didn't predict death by green goo sperm or whatever the hell is going on.  Or is she actually dead or just messed up?  Either way, poor Sabine.  And I have no idea how D'Avin will recover from this.  That's going to hit him hard.

Lucy-bot was fun.  I also wonder if that was Tamsen McDonough herself playing the android, because that would be a pretty nice touch.  In the end, it doesn't matter what form she is in, Lucy is the best.  The kiss between her and John was hilarious and perfect; only equalled by D'Avin's reaction to the entire thing.

A lot of great exchanges from the entire trio in this one.  This show really struck gold with the casting.  Hannah, Aaron, and Luke really work great together.

Dutch finally decides to throw caution to the wind, and has a moment with Alvis.  Lets see how long that lasts.  Meanwhile, John and Pawter finally hook-up, thanks to Lucy suddenly becoming an awesome wingman.  Still unsure about the secrecy.  I get that is has something to do about Killjoys not suppose to be meddling in political affairs or something, but considering their bond and history, I don't see Dutch or D'Avin going against him on trying to bring the wall down.  Maybe there is more to it.

They better be prepping the episode where we visit Pree's time as a warlord/stylish dictator!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

visit Pree's time as a warlord/stylish dictator

I hope not. It's so much more awesome in my mind than anything they could put on screen.

LucyBot was awesome. 

So what killed Blondie? Was it the peach? Was it the sex because she was a level 6 and D'avin's magic de-greened her? What would happen if D'avin had sex with Mossy? Clearly Lucy is willing to work with proxies wrt Johnny. And Dutch and Alvis were lovely together. I loved the explanation for the scaring and blood letting.

• Love 2

There's a great joke to be made about the ending, I just haven't thought of it yet........  I'm thinking the spec that Sabine is a Level6 'plant' could have just proven true, and D'avin's awesome sex powers just blew her cover.   Poor guy, every woman he has sex with he attempts to murder.  I did notice that before she went all green-spewy though, her vagina did not seem all that angry so it must just be a mossipede thing.

Regarding the ending, I'm withholding judgement on defining her status of existence because I saw promo pics for the next episode;

Spoiler

Sabine would certainly appear to be not dead, or at least the actress is in the next episode via memory or some other such trope.

Damnit Show, as if Johnny/Lucy couldn't be shipped enough before this episode, you go and make it 'real'.

Since they made it a point to show that the trio all had bedroom fun at the end, the planning for this episode must have been a must-see event because everybody came.

When combining the Collector's last words to Dutch [paraphrasing] "enjoy the good things where you can, because not everyone gets a happy ending", and then all 3 of them proceed to get sexed up (even though D'avin's ended not so well), I'm guessing its going to be mostly downhill for everyone for the rest of the season.

"Its ok to 'dwant' him.  That means you don't want him, but don't want him with anyone else either".  Oh Pree, the Dear Abby of warlords.  And lately, Dutch seems to be exhibiting a bit of 'dwanting' both Jaqobis brothers.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 3

Loved Dutch's song and although we already knew most of what she told San it's nice to get some detail.

I'm betting that hairpin is going to important at some point. 

I'm not sure if Sabine is dead or if she's just been outed as a Level 6, if so is this the first female 6 we've seen? 

• Love 1

So what are the thoughts on D'avin's ability to basically make the green-goo bend to his will?  He is like a powerful wizard who can make things happen without a wand or incantations, with that stuff.

Is it another 'side-effect' of the Army's experiment(s) on his brain?  Or will he turn out to be even more of a 'special' human, with something like psychokinetic powers or something??

Phew, I'm glad the soap opera has been put to rest at least for a while. Pree calling out Dutch on dwanting was awesome. And I also appreciated Lucy being a wingman for a change (all it took was a kiss).

Alvis is really bringing the hot to hot monk. And some brains - of course the Scarback's cutting could initially have been used to signify that they've not been infected by the green goo. Though you'd think being infected by the sap of the tree you consider holy should be a good thing. There's obviously a lot more to that story. Plenty of keys to all the mystery are hidden within the Scarback faith's history. Well played show.

I suppose the Black Root must be the invaders with the organic ship San mentioned. The scene between Dutch and San was quite the exposition dump though they tried to distract from that with the singing (which I did not like at all but that's my hatred for musicals speaking). So now we know why Dutch was still in her wedding dress when Johnny first met her. Hopefully we get to hear/see the whole story from his side one day.

Johnny keeping his working with Pawter a secret feels a bit contrived. Yes, Dutch is not a fan and both Dutch and D'avin might want him to focus on Khlyen and the green goo. But as this episode's end proved they're not exactly committed to that cause 24/7 and Johnny is the best multi-tasker on the team anyway.

The sex scene between D'avin and Sabin went on for far too long - it was clear the show was going to pull another Angel on poor D'avin. Dude's in need of some more therapy now.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Snarkette said:

So what killed Blondie? Was it the peach? Was it the sex because she was a level 6 and D'avin's magic de-greened her? What would happen if D'avin had sex with Mossy? Clearly Lucy is willing to work with proxies wrt Johnny. And Dutch and Alvis were lovely together. I loved the explanation for the scaring and blood letting.

This is my guess. D'Avin's blood has been shown to flush the Plasma from a human body. It's not far fetched to assume that his other... err... bodily fluids can have the same effect.

• Love 3

I suppose the Black Root must be the invaders with the organic ship San mentioned. The scene between Dutch and San was quite the exposition dump though they tried to distract from that with the singing (which I did not like at all but that's my hatred for musicals speaking). So now we know why Dutch was still in her wedding dress when Johnny first met her. Hopefully we get to hear/see the whole story from his side one day.

I think maybe the black root are the tree-killers. They control the 6's, who are deliberately infected to gain the hulk-power but must be contained so they don't go rogue. So they call Khlyen "sir" and then zap him with stun guns and shove him into a cryo box. 

Haven't decided yet if the peaches played any role in this as they are a tree fruit. There was also the Arkin flashback thing where they were planting saplings. I'm sure that somehow resurrected Dutch is there to perform some important job when it comes to the goomonsters who are on the way to the system. The Simmses were busy setting up a raze-to-the-ground weapon of last resort. Delle Kendry was building an ark of culture and knowledge. The 9 (what's left of them) seem to know they're doomed.

So we have:

• D'avin: Goo Wizard and possibly literal ladykiller
  • Dutch who died and lives again
  • The scarbacks who worship "the tree" but have to prove they're not infected
  • The Red 17 program and the sixes it produces
  • The black root which seems to have containment and transport authority over the sixes.
  • The RAC and the lady, with unknown allegiances and motives.
  • Military nanites, which may or may not have to do with Collector dude's nanites
  • Different green goo variations, all of which produce self healing and mental communication but can't be interchanged

And Johnny who is a robosexual nerd. (Sparks fly when he kisses Lucy. Literally.) Kind of a pity but he doesn't seem to play into the goo story at all except as friend and brother. And object of galdroid lust. I hope the "oh this is a computer" scene from last season builds into something more, when he interfaced with the goo.

• Love 3

Good grief, that was awful! It felt like rotten fanfic written by a fourteen year old girl. Or at least, how I imagine that stuff must play out, because I wouldn't normally subject myself to this (/ that) kind of garbage. A music video? Complete with stupid wedding trappings and baby and happily ever after crap? (Only slightly pulled out of that kamikaze nosedive by having Dutch go stone cold pyscho, but holy crap, that was embarrassing.) The ongoing, never ending, ubiquitous Dutch worship deepens. ("Please, woman I met an hour ago, who just tried to kill me, btdubs, move in and spend your life with me.") At this point I half think they're trolling us. Johnny continues to keep stupid, and worse: boring secrets. Not one, not two, but three sets of sex(-ish) scenes. That dragged on forever. (Only vaguely helped by Sabine's sliming. I think it would help more if I thought she was actually dead.) You are doing something wrong when your sex scenes annoy me and leave me wondering if you are just trying to distract from the fact that you ran out of actual story to tell. 

The whole Scarback cutting crap bothers me a lot. I can't believe they styled a religion/ "thing" around it for the show. So I greatly appreciated that they at least (finally) gave it a probable purpose, but I really have to wonder if there wasn't a better way to do this. Or, y'know, a dozen.

But on the good side, Pree remains lovely, inside and out. (I prefer him as is, and not in flashbacks to stylish dictator, in part because the clean shaven scalp suits him so much better than the hair they showed in the "warlord" picture (/shallow), but mostly because I agree with @Snarkette that some stories are better in your mind/ undefined.) And I did like them acknowledging the "d'wanting" on screen, which is pretty much how I read Dutch's reactions. I don't see her actually wanting any of the men we've seen her with yet. Sex, sure. The people themselves in the context of a (romantic) relationship? Not so much. But that's subjective, and even having Pree say it doesn't make it so. Other than that, Dutch has a nice voice (that I'd still rather have not heard). And Johnny is thankfully emerging from his role as Dutch's supporting choir. But that's just not enough.

So that'd be, what, maybe a 2/10? Imho, ymmv.

• Love 2

I'm growing tired of the Dutch worship. Couldn't she just be kickass without everyone falling at her feet thinking she's the second coming? 

Johnny is the only reason I've stuck it out this long. 

All the thuggish intimidation is making me hate the main characters. 

I'm growing tired of the Dutch worship. Couldn't she just be kickass without everyone falling at her feet thinking she's the second coming? 

I've never been a huge fan of wondergirl and superboy, but damned if this episode both Dutch and D'avin didn't grow on me a bit. Even the cringesingalong just make me squee with the utter wonder of tacky. But then again, Johnny and Lucy finally kissed so I don't think anything or anyone is going to harsh my vibe or be...ahem...a killjoy.

• Love 5

I read a lot of comments before I had a chance to watch, so my expectations were really low. Maybe that's why I was okay with most of the episode.  It seemed like yet another set up episode, though I'm thinking with the aliens taking over the galaxy aspect, it's setting up for the third season.  Which is fine but I'd rather they were more subtle about it, since we only have 4 episodes left and I'm still trying to figure out if there is an arc for this one. 

• Love 1

I feel I need to rant about what seems to be coming at some point in the future.....

I know its a "space" show, but aliens?  Really!?  When, not once (before this episode), has it been hinted that there was some thing(s) out there, lurking in the dark recesses outside of the Quad and "The J"?

Like tessaray said, this really seems like a set-up for something along the lines of an invasion that starts at the finale of this season and leads into S3.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

My main** objection to an alien invasion story is that Killjoys isn't Babylon 5, with 20+ episodes per season and a master craftsman carefully laying a foundation intermixed with interesting short term stories and ongoing character development.  Snarkette's earlier post shows how obviously all the pieces have been placed on the chess board, which would be no big deal if this weren't a summer show with limited episodes.  

After this episode, I had that feeling you get when you look up at the clock at 15 minutes to the hour and realize there is no way this story is going to finish and now you have to wait another week for the resolution, except in this case we are probably going to have to wait another year to get answers.  There are just too many storylines to wrap up this season, even if they start with the next episode.  Honestly though, I wouldn't care if they set up 10 seasons worth of plots if the individual stories had been better. 

** This isn't Firefly, with no aliens advertised up front - as far as I know. 

IIRC we have no indication that the invaders are alien. San called them visitors (and people) and said that they used organic space-ships. You'd think he would have mentioned it if they had been alien. They might be physiologically different from other humans on the show because of the green goo like Khlyen and all the Level 6 folks but they're still human or have human roots (he!)

• Love 3

Well, I actually liked this episode better than the last (Dutch's whole "you're my gravity" really came out of the blue and that bothered me, despite me being a low key Dutch/Johnny shipper. It simply felt inorganic, hamfisted and - despite the fact that I actually think it's true - the voicing of it unearned at this point of the story). I liked San and wouldn't mind seeing him again later on - and I loved Lucy and her sparkles!

One of the things I like so much about this show is that the secondary players feel lived-in and real. While I have some issues from time to time with Dutch's 'sexual magnetism' and especially D'avins special-snowflake-syndrome, every secondary character - from Khlyen to bit-players like Belu - adds to the whole of the universe, making it feel...well, inhabited. That, and the interpersonal relationship between Johnny-and-Dutch, Johnny-and-D'avin, Johnny-Dutch-D'avin, Johnny-and-Lucy (I feel a theme's coming up), is really the show's strength.

Speaking of Johnny, while the reason for the secrecy is somewhat nonsense, I really enjoy him and Pawter. I didn't think I would (the aforementioned low key shipping of D/J aside, I'm not much for brother-swapping) but they work because they're both so earnest. I do miss mentions of Pawter's drug use (especially in relation to his mother's) but I'll fanwank that she keeps it under control. Wallowing in the shallow end of the pool I think the actress who plays Pawter is sooo pretty and I desperately covet her hair (Dutch can keep the crow's nest of whatever it is on top of her head this season - I miss last season's polished Dutch. I understand her frazzledness is for plot reasons, but I still miss it!)

As for the season long arc I'm happy to just bop along. Killjoys isn't a thinky show for me and so far the show's mythology hasn't been so convoluted/illogical I've lost my patience for it. I am, however, glad that the reason for the Scarbacks' scarring is being explored - it never really sat well with me.

I watch the show on HBO Nordic and since 02.02 their episodes has been named something different than those that show up here. Epsiode 3 was named "Skin Deep" instead of "Shaft", ep 4 was "Thursday's Child" instead of "Schooled", ep 5 was "A Killing Frost" vs "Meet the Parents" and this episode is named "Trick of the Trade". Does anybody know why?

• Love 5

This is scifi. Lovretta really could just write that Dutch can marry both. In the real world, marriage of a woman to two brothers was one of the commonest forms of polyandry. (Relatively speaking, polyandry being much less common than polygyny.)

I guess I assumed aliens from the line about organic ships but aliens or no, the pacing is off enough with all the setup that it affects my enjoyment of the show. Hopefully things will start happening and it will all pay off.

On 8/7/2016 at 7:51 AM, feverfew said:

I do miss mentions of Pawter's drug use (especially in relation to his mother's) but I'll fanwank that she keeps it under control. Wallowing in the shallow end of the pool I think the actress who plays Pawter is sooo pretty and I desperately covet her hair (Dutch can keep the crow's nest of whatever it is on top of her head this season - I miss last season's polished Dutch. I understand her frazzledness is for plot reasons, but I still miss it!)

I'm assuming Potter finally got off the drugs after Old Town was bombed.  She would in theory not have a lot left during that time and probably went through withdrawal and came out the other side not needing them anymore. 

As for the episode, I liked it.  Even if the season is just set up for the next, the individual episodes have been entertaining.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Matt K said:

I'm assuming Potter finally got off the drugs after Old Town was bombed.  She would in theory not have a lot left during that time and probably went through withdrawal and came out the other side not needing them anymore.

You're probably right; I just thought I remembered something about jakk (jax?) being a drug you couldn't go off after you went "on" it. But since I actually don't mind not watching her go through withdrawal (too much realism in my 'fun' show) this will be my canon from now on :)

• Love 2

Yeah, Jakk was supposed ro be non-quitable, so I think we're looking at a full-fledged retcon. Doesn't bother me, though, as the original explanation didn't make much sense. Addiction doesn't even work like that! So if she exchanged the habit for agency and a cute boyfriend, and perhaps eventually her first female friend in Lucy, I'm fine with it.

I know I'm forever on accent watch, but Keon Alexander was very Montreal in Space, hee. And then we got a Bollywood sequence.

• Love 3

Not quite sure on what the technical term would be for it, but going off how 'mind-melding' with the mossipede made D'avin want to "throw up with my whole mouth"....... having sex with him makes a person want to throw up with their whole body!

Sabine can be affectionately labeled with a nickname as a cleaning product now... cuz she's Goo Gone!

On 8.8.2016 at 9:57 AM, Locutus said:

They want us to think that D'avin banged her to death, but as some have speculated, I bet it was the fruit. It was green after all.

That's a great theory, I like the idea of the sex-scene being a misdirect. I checked back because I had forgotten where the peaches had come from. Apparently D'avin stole them from San's ship (the guy with 'a hell of a root cellar').  They were Leithian Vale Peaches and Sabin said that they had died out when she was a kid. What if they had had been infected by green goo and the Nine had the complete harvest and all plants destroyed in a panic (knowing what it signified) and the extinction story was just a cover-up?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, MissLucas said:

That's a great theory, I like the idea of the sex-scene being a misdirect. I checked back because I had forgotten where the peaches had come from. Apparently D'avin stole them from San's ship (the guy with 'a hell of a root cellar').  They were Leithian Vale Peaches and Sabin said that they had died out when she was a kid. What if they had had been infected by green goo and the Nine had the complete harvest and all plants destroyed in a panic (knowing what it signified) and the extinction story was just a cover-up?

I am all for this theory - or some form of it if the show goes that direction - but didn't D'avin eat some of the Peach(es) too, had a bite of it at the very least?  Wouldn't he have exhibited some method of goo-discharge as well, especially since he expelled/repelled the non-diluted form of it when Khlyen tried to make him a Level-6 agent??

No, D'avin did not eat from the peach. He cut off a slice and offered it to Sabin (they started snogging right after that though).

Hmm, just remembered that in Chinese mythology Peaches of Immortality are a thing. (Of course if Sabin is a Level 6 then peaches are just peaches.)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

No, D'avin did not eat from the peach. He cut off a slice and offered it to Sabin (they started snogging right after that though).

Hmm, just remembered that in Chinese mythology Peaches of Immortality are a thing. (Of course if Sabin is a Level 6 then peaches are just peaches.)

And now the Presidents of the United States of America's Peaches is stuck in my head;  " - millions of peaches, peaches for me".........