Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Meet the Parents

• Start Topic

(edited)

Entertaining episode. I liked Pawter's family. I am glad that her sister turned out to be a nice caring person. Her parents were a bit much. Pawter and Johnny are a great couple with chemistry. I like that they are teaming up to save Old Town. I don't mind Johnny keeping it a secret from Dutch.

Khylen and Fancy are a fun pair. I have to admit that I am getting tired to how long they are dragging out the Yala mystery. I wonder if she still has the father that Khylen mentioned when she was a child and if he has something to do with this. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

I enjoyed it too. At first, I thought they were going to play it as Pawter having a stuck up family with her being the only real moral one of the group. Then the sister goes to try to save the servants.

Something I don't understand is why Dutch asks Khylen about why she was on Arkyn as a girl. In the flashback, D'Avin sees Dutch is a grown up.

I was also wondering did Hank do something to Seyah Simms research to cause it to go out of control. I am also guessing she must have revoked her decree on Pawter before she died.

• Love 1

Maybe the warrant isn't all? About time someone thought so. 

Can't really believe Johnny/Pawter. The funny thing is, she needs to stay on Qresh, and Johnny's not going to. But they haven't noticed this little problem (unless some inaudible dialogue addressed it?) But I don't have to, since it appears to largely be a ploy for Dutch angst when she finds out, noble sacrifices, etc. Which is why Pawter and Johnny for some reason are discussing Dutch instead of their own alleged romance. Not even the characters take that seriously, I think. As to Dutch/Johnny, expecting one partner to play soul mate without actually being a mate and blocking other relationships isn't really very nice. It strikes me as a horrible case of friend zoning, something I think is almost always imaginary in real life. 

Plainly Johnny talking about wanting to give a shit and D'Avin saying that's what it does is meant to be dramatic irony. Since Johnny here seems to be equating that to a romance, I'm not finding him as sympathetic as usual. It's unpleasant to see him betraying, uh, Lucy.

I liked this one, and I thought the actors playing Khlyen and D'Avin both did a pretty good job playing as each other.

I like Pawter and Johnny together. They make a good team.

• Love 10

Was I the only one a little bit thrown by the douchebag fiance turning out to be a total massive dickhole (thanks Johnny)?  Was he a criminal that pulled one over on the Simms, or was he just that hung up about the joy??  It just kinda felt like the writers believed they had to do something with the character and went that direction.  *shrugs*   Oh, and hello Dr Adler.  Plotted any time/date coordinates lately, when you're not carpentering or kowtowing to the Lady of the Land?

I could get behind Johnny/Pawter, but not if its going to be hard to believe, ie a long-distance relationship because she's going to be on Qresh for who knows how long, fighting for Old Town's rights.  Although, there is one person very happy with this arrangement..........

I'll give Dutch one thing, she wears jealousy like its the hottest new fashion of the season.  Dutch/Johnny (& not as bro/sis) is totally a thing, whether it is ever actually shown that way on screen or not.  Every interaction between the two, or one talking about the other, in this episode was just begging to be shipped.  I won't pretend I'm not rooting for a D/J endgame, but even if I weren't, I'd still feel the same way after watching MtP [& last week].

Wonderful father, gets to "see" D'avin again but never once mentions or asks after Johnny.  Also, did we know he was a sheriff?  Fancy & Khlyen wondered if D'avin's immunity might have come from the maternal side - and I know they figured it out that it was the army's mind-control experimentation that made it possible (how quite very cliche, btw) - but didn't Johnny tell Pawter last season that his mom died because of an overdose to her own personal drug addiction, or am I imagining that part of the conversation?

Is it me, or have they pretty much turned Johnny into a Scarback, without the robes or scarred back?  I know this was going to be a storyline about Johnny this season, but I didn't realize they'd be making it so obvious.

Not sure about Sabine yet; is she just an attractive bartender for D'avin to have the hots for, or if there is there a bigger storyline at play.....

• Love 1

Surprised they found a way to actually do a body-swapping plot on this show, but I got a kick out of it as always.  I thought the actors did a solid enough job playing the other one, although not as flashy as other shows have done it, and there was a few times were I felt like Luke Macfarlane sounded like HIVE Ward from Agents of Shield or even British almost (I'm guessing he was going for sophisticated/posh.)  But it was entertaining, and that's all I really ask for.

Sounds like it was those experiments that were done on D'Avin, that are causing him to be immune to the Level 6 goo.  I wonder what Khylen and Fancy's next play will be, after finding out about that little tidbit.

John meeting Pawter's family was about as awkward as expected.  Loved how flummoxed he was over the entire dinner ceremony.  Oh, rich people!  You're so silly!  I did like how they slowly showed the good sides to them, after coming off cold (the mother) or phony (the sister), even if ends up with both parents dead (Dr. Adler, no!), and the sister down a hand.  Wasn't quite sure why Hank wanted them dead.  Was he being paid?  Did he just hate them for some reason?

Pawter and John are now happening.  I bet Lucy is not going to be a fan of that.  Not to mention, I'm still hoping Stephanie Leonidas and her badass rocket launcher arm will be back.  But I suspect John keeping all this from Dutch is what is really going to be the problem going forward. This never, ever ends well.  Never.

• Love 5
(edited)

The body-swapping plot was great and both actors were doing a fine job playing the other character. So it was the chip that makes D'avin immune. But why does Khlyen want to reproduce the effect? Interesting.

Also interesting: the stuff on Qresh. When the servant froze to death I was prepared to throw a hissy fit that winter is really coming but it was 'just' a bio-weapon developed by Mama Simms. Her motives for doing that were as clear as Delle Seyah Kendry's for whenever she's doing weird s***. Making Qresh inhabitable for those who want to take it? How about giving your daughter (and supposed heir) a bit more info to work with? *sheesh*

Johnny/Pawter has all the call-signs of a doomed romance and I'm good with that as it gives him an arc beyond the Dutch/D'avin drama. Johnny has never been the typical RAC agent. Last season he was showing signs of unrest when he started to become interested in the Scarback faith so it makes sense for him to be fascinated by Pawter's decision to bring down the Company (I think that will be her endgame). But ultimately this pair won't work probably because Pawter won't survive her stint as Lady of the Land or because it requires her to make one of that hard sacrifices Mama Simms was talking about - i.e. she will have to let go of Johnny.

Giant meh: Dutch's sudden 'Johnny's my twu luv' - exactly the moment he's willing to move away from her and the RAC. I like Pawter but I always suspected Dutch and Johnny to be endgame and I have no problems with that. But I do have problems with the writers turning to Soap Opera Writing 1.01.

For two episodes now Dutch has behaved like a needy, snotty teenager whenever the talk turns to Pawter. Pouty? Really? And that from the woman who last season explained the horrors of the harem and how it made women turn against women? Stop that nonsense and give me back cool Dutch who realizes that maybe she made a mistake by not admitting her feelings for Johnny.  That lady would acknowledge that she kept him for too long in the friendzone (while bedding his brother among other things) and would not keep a childish grudge against the 'other' woman. She would either come clear and/or let him walk away and I would applaud her for breaking out of the soap opera mould and behaving like an adult woman. (Yeah, I know Dutch is all badass but emotionally stinted but that won't wash with me because in this very episode she claimed to have changed.)

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 8

I liked this one.  It was nice seeing the inside of Pawter's dysfunctional family and seeing some of the social norms of the Nine.

I got the impression the weasely fiance had been Pawter's boyfriend before she got kicked out of the family and then moved onto the sister.  He was playing the long game, infiltrate the family and take it over or destroy it.  His cover was obviously to act like a buffoon.  Had me fooled until he mysteriously disappeared.

Looks like we'll be seeing the Black Root soon and I am interested in how all of Khlyen's schemes will come to fruition.

Altho who is that blonde bartender?  Is she D'avin's next girlfriend? She just seems so random.  The show shouldn't even try to do romance because the forays into relationships all feel rather random and not well thought out.  You don't know who is going to be making fluttery eyes at whom from one week to the next.

And finally, what happened to Pawter's drug addiction?  Wasn't the drug she was addicted to so terrible that it couldn't be kicked but you had to keep taking it in manageable doses?  What did I miss?

• Love 1

Pawter's still an addict but for plot-reasons I guess we have to assume that she's back on a regular supply. Blonde bartender was introduced last week probably to keep D'avin's man-whore quota up.

• Love 1

That lady would acknowledge that she kept him for too long in the friendzone (while bedding his brother among other things) and would not keep a childish grudge against the 'other' woman. She would either come clear and/or let him walk away and I would applaud her for breaking out of the soap opera mould and behaving like an adult woman. (Yeah, I know Dutch is all badass but emotionally stinted but that won't wash with me because in this very episode she claimed to have changed.)

To be fair...............when we first meet Pawter, we learn that Dutch doesn't like her.   That's what Pawter told D'avin and this was long before we saw her form a rapport with Johnny.  I think the Johnny factor just adds to it but I think Pawter just grates on Dutch.   Some people are like that.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

To be fair...............when we first meet Pawter, we learn that Dutch doesn't like her.   That's what Pawter told D'avin and this was long before we saw her form a rapport with Johnny.  I think the Johnny factor just adds to it but I think Pawter just grates on Dutch.   Some people are like that.

You're right - there's a pattern. But I'm not sure that makes things better. And even if Pawter grates on Dutch what she's trying to do should get her at least some respect (in my opinion she also deserved some respect for staying on Westerley during the bombing). Dutch's attitude towards Pawter makes it look as if does not care at all that the Company is about to turn Westerley into a massive prison. Yes, she got other problems to deal with but somehow I think if it were Alvis who came with the intel that more walls are about to go up on Westerley things would look different.

4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Pawter's still an addict but for plot-reasons I guess we have to assume that she's back on a regular supply. Blonde bartender was introduced last week probably to keep D'avin's man-whore quota up.

Makes sense, I suppose. It is justt weird it wasn't mentioned at all given that last season, iirc, that her addiction was part of what led to her exile.  I am fuzzy and too lazy to look it up but didn't she botch a surgery while she was high?  It sounded like a bit of a retcon that her mother seemed displeaeed that she was a doctor at all, not just one who brought disgrace on the family due to her addiction.

The sister talked about the botched surgery when she greeted Pawter and that was what had her exiled - the botched surgery probably more than the addiction. I think the Nine follow Edwardian upper-class rules: you can do whatever the hell you want as long as you don't get caught and cause a scandal.

The discussion in the lab is not really conclusive but I thought Mama Simms (who was a doctor herself I guess) was not annoyed by Pawter becoming a doctor but by Pawter becoming a doctor and refusing her heritage. It sounded as if Pawter had rebelled against her Nine up-bringing for a long time. And when that patient died under her care her mother had to hush it up and send the person intended to become her heir into exile.

What was also not clear: does primogeniture overrule exile and that was why Pawter became Lady of the Land by default despite her previous status or did Mama Simms revoke her exile sometime between getting infected and dying because she realized there was no other choice (the sister was a nice person but hardly cut out for the job).

• Love 2

Loved seeing Andrew Gillies - aka Dr. Adler from 12 Monkeys as Pawter's dad!

I can't help it - I am a sucker for Freaky Friday hijinks. Love seeing actors try to take on another character's mannerisms, speech patterns, etc. I think Rob Stewart and Luke Macfarlane did a great job of that in this episode.

Damn - the Simms Estate is luxe! Mother Simms was cray-cray, though. 

So Pawter is on Qresh permanently now? That should be interesting.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Giant meh: Dutch's sudden 'Johnny's my twu luv' - exactly the moment he's willing to move away from her and the RAC. I like Pawter but I always suspected Dutch and Johnny to be endgame and I have no problems with that. But I do have problems with the writers turning to Soap Opera Writing 1.01.

For two episodes now Dutch has behaved like a needy, snotty teenager whenever the talk turns to Pawter. Pouty? Really? And that from the woman who last season explained the horrors of the harem and how it made women turn against women? Stop that nonsense and give me back cool Dutch who realizes that maybe she made a mistake by not admitting her feelings for Johnny.  That lady would acknowledge that she kept him for too long in the friendzone (while bedding his brother among other things) and would not keep a childish grudge against the 'other' woman. She would either come clear and/or let him walk away and I would applaud her for breaking out of the soap opera mould and behaving like an adult woman. (Yeah, I know Dutch is all badass but emotionally stinted but that won't wash with me because in this very episode she claimed to have changed.)

Agreed with all this, and I'm an admitted Du/J end-game shipper. 

It just seems unnecessary to create and have this 'triangle' drama now, at this time, with everything else going on in the Show & its universe.  Its not like needing an additive of drama for the sake of having some kind of tension in an otherwise non-dramatic show.  Right now, because of everything else, it feels noticeably forced and inorganic.   And an 'endgame' relationship should never feel that way, at any point in time.

• Love 4

I could see Dutch being jealous of Pawter even if she wasn't romantically interested in Johnny. He's still her partner as a brother and she wouldn't do what she does or be who she is without him. Best friends can be resentful of someone who takes their friend away.

Good to know that a blanket over the shoulders is the cure for cutting off a hand. Louella was sitting and chatting like it was a day at the beach. I suppose I could believe the frozen part had no feeling left, but it had to have been sliced off above the ice for it to stop expanding, and there wasn't even any blood.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, lordonia said:

Good to know that a blanket over the shoulders is the cure for cutting off a hand. Louella was sitting and chatting like it was a day at the beach. I suppose I could believe the frozen part had no feeling left, but it had to have been sliced off above the ice for it to stop expanding, and there wasn't even any blood.

It's possible Pawter did something for her off screen, and who knows what kind of medical tech the Nine have. Speaking of, weren't most of the Nine wiped out during the season finale? I imagine they were simply replaced by people loyal to Delle Sayah, but still some reference to that would have been nice. Those were the other members of the Nine at the end right?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, lordonia said:

I could see Dutch being jealous of Pawter even if she wasn't romantically interested in Johnny. He's still her partner as a brother and she wouldn't do what she does or be who she is without him. Best friends can be resentful of someone who takes their friend away.

I hear you.  I still feel that the show creator and writers have done a wonderful job of making this Dutch&Johnny relationship so heavily convoluted and non-specific, thus making it easy for themselves to go where they want with it.  Its a credit to them to say that where some people see it as just a really firm 'friends=familial' bond, others (like me) see it as much more - or at least has the potential to be much more in the future, especially after events in the past couple episodes.

• Love 3

I like that we found out about the Jaqobis' home world -- Telen, ringworld at the ass end of the J.

I'm just glad that the sister's fiance was also incinerated.

The Simms matriarch creating this chemical/virus to create a scorched Qresh in case they were ever attacked seemed pretty out there -- creating a dead planet so no one else will want it.  That's hard core.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The Simms matriarch creating this chemical/virus to create a scorched Qresh in case they were ever attacked seemed pretty out there -- creating a dead planet so no one else will want it.  That's hard core.

Yeah, it sounds crazy. But then I remembered Delle Seyah Kendry and her plans to create a human database for Qreshi culture last week. So we have two members of the Nine preparing for something quite apocalyptic - makes you wonder what they know and how long it will take until Pawter finds out.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I'm not sure she's still an addict. The retcon is strong in this one, I think. But it's really all about Dutch, so in one sense it doesn't matter. The notion that Johnny who supposedly took responsibility for a drug addicted mother has no thoughts about a jakk-addicted SO? Or reluctance to take Daddy Simms' role as subordinate consort, either? Still have to say, not even the characters are taking this alleged romance seriously. 

It's possible that Dutch will end up being a tragic martyr, but if not, I'm sure Johnny is supposed to be the endgame. At this point, I"m not sure that would be a happy ending for Johnny though. In this episode what happens is Dutch makes an ambiguous declaration of...something that will serve to block his romance with Pawter. He gets the privilege of being gravity for the sexiest most important woman in the universe in return for sciencing on demand? If Johnny was the hay, Dutch is the dog in the manger?

But if there was any ambiguity in the Johnny role, my way of capturing it would be to say that Johnny is the GBF, except so deep in denial he's still making temporary hookups. 

Another good episode!

I liked seeing all the weird social norms of the Nine, and Johnny's bewildered reaction to them all. I was also happy to see her family weren't all rich assholes. especially the sister, who it seemed like was just a typical Rich Bitch type, but then she immediately ran off to try to save the servants. I hope we see her again. Maybe we will, now that Pawter is doing her thing will the Nine, and her and Johnny are officially a thing. Speaking of...

So, its starting to look like Dutch and Johnny might be headed towards more than friends territory. I have mixed feelings about this. I like Johnny and Pawter, I like their chemistry, and if Dutch and Johnny become a Thing, she wont be around so much. I love Dutch and Johnny as best friends, and the idea of them becoming romantic could screw up that dynamic. But...the writers have done enough to keep their relationship kind of ambiguous, especially from Johnnys side, at least at first. I could see at the beginning that maybe he used to have a crush on her, but she was not interested, so he moved on. But, now, it seems like Dutch might be realizing that she has feelings for Johnny. This could lead to them getting together (although at the start of the show, I swore they were going for the Dutch/ D'Avin angle, but maybe it will get reversed, with Johnny as the love interest and D`Avin as the BFF), or it could lead to Johnny dying tragically to cause angst for Dutch. Now, I really do not think that they will kill Johnny off, but I feel like something bad might happen to him soon. 

I enjoyed all the body switch hijinks. The actors did a good job mimicking each other, and it was good for some sci fi fun.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I like that we found out about the Jaqobis' home world -- Telen, ringworld at the ass end of the J.

I'm just glad that the sister's fiance was also incinerated.

Given the freezing nature of the virus and the fact the Qresh is flooding, I was thinking it was actually to slow the flooding by re-freezing the planets ice caps. I'm also starting to think that Qresh is headed for some kind of environmental collapse and they want to actually take over Westerly as a back up. That's why they want to imprison the population  so they can terraform Westerly into something better.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Emily Thrace said:

Given the freezing nature of the virus and the fact the Qresh is flooding, I was thinking it was actually to slow the flooding by re-freezing the planets ice caps. I'm also starting to think that Qresh is headed for some kind of environmental collapse and they want to actually take over Westerly as a back up. That's why they want to imprison the population  so they can terraform Westerly into something better.

That's an intriguing theory -- ties in well with the existing plans to wall up not just Old Town but all the cities on Westerly.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, lordonia said:

I write these kinds of things off as things they don't need to show due to what James Callis once famously referred to on a BSG commentary as, "The tragedy of verisimilitude."

Verisimilitude is generally good help for willing suspension of disbelief. It may be called "willing" but it isn't an act of will. It sure isn't the same thing as genuine plausibility (much less probability.) But Callis was probably right about that for BSG which was so stupid that the slightest gesture towards fake realism would prick the bubble. 

Since Pawter will be on Qresh, will J/P be the 'ship that never really sailed'?  And for Pawter's sake, maybe that's a good thing, since I've seen it noted that Johnny is that one person in shows that bad things happen to people they have a relationship with [see: Sam Winchester, for instance].

I've been thinking about it [more] and I still can't get my mind around why they are pushing this sense that Dutch is truly realizing the depth of her overall feelings for Johnny right now.  I do have to wonder if its a ploy to keep the ratings up to get a 3rd season, because as I said before, thematically it just doesn't really fit - or if it does, its only because it was shoe-horned in.  This type of thing would work as a good way to polish off a season and kick-start the next one, not in the middle of a season that is already chock-full of plots and subplots.  And again, I say this as someone who wants Du/J to happen on the show; at least as the endgame situation.

Spit-balling, but now that we've seen "not Dutch" in D'avin's mind trip in DatRG, then Dutch seeing "herself" in the mirror in W,WW, and then the green-goo mossipedes-fueled hallucinations in Shaft... maybe something in her brain or mind was changed/rearranged (somehow) and the feelings for Johnny that she kept walled off & deep in her subconscious are breaking through as a result?  I don't know, just trying to make sense of this seemingly abrupt story direction.  Her telling Khlyen that she doesn't hate him anymore and she feels lost because of it would seem to support such a theoretical hypothesis, as well.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

Still don't see Dutch/Johnny as romantic. I think they are still going for Dutch/D'Avin (I mean they had their big UST moment just last episode, and the blonde girl is an obvious rebound for him), but mostly keep their options open. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure this was talked much about yet, specifically, but I think I have an understanding on what really transpired in this episode with regards to Johnny's 'choice'.

Johnny:  "When she (Adeline Seyah Simms) decided to kick Pawter out, you just what, let her win that too?" / Weymer:  "When you love two people equally, you have to make a choice.  You choose the one that makes you a better man."

First off, I want to say I'm not really against a J/P romance - but lets be completely honest, its not truly going to really go anywhere, anyhow - but I feel there was a lot more going on beneath the surface of what we saw play out on screen.

I truly think it was more existential than because of actual feelings & attraction when Johnny made the choice that he thinks makes him a better man.  He chose the ideals, morals, and struggles that Pawter represents more than the woman herself.  As it was stated by D'avin in Schooled, "You (Dutch) lead.  I shoot.  And Johnny gives a shit" and then by Johnny himself in MtP, "I'm tired of not being able to do that (give a shit)".  So, in essence, this 'side' he's chosen is much more about the core of his character, than a proclamation of undying love for a woman he rarely sees during the course of day-to-day life as a Killjoy with Dutch, & D'avin.

If it was just a straight-up, no hidden deeper-meanings at play, kind of choice between Dutch and Pawter, Johnny would hands down pick Dutch every time.  Yes, even if only because of their friendship and being Killjoy/RAC partners - but I think its more than that, personally.

• Love 3

Well, Dutch and D'Avin already think Johnny gives a shit, even if he doesn't. Maybe iRarelyWatchTV36 is dead on target. Especially considering Johnny also declared "maybe the warrant isn't all." 

But some of these issues would seem to be much more at hand in Johnny's dealings with Alvis? But plainly the show is going for Alvis loves Dutch and is really reconsidering all this abstract morality shit when compared to Love.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, sjohnson said:

But some of these issues would seem to be much more at hand in Johnny's dealings with Alvis? But plainly the show is going for Alvis loves Dutch and is really reconsidering all this abstract morality shit when compared to Love.

You bring up an excellent point, and I couldn't figure out how to work it into the previous post.

In an episode in the latter part of the 1st season - I'm thinking towards the end of e8 - Alvis gives a 'book' to D'avin to give to Johnny, and D'avin tells Alvis that Johnny isn't a Monk, but Alvis says that he thinks Johnny is big into sacrifice.  That observation by Alvis would/does tie into this, in that Johnny would be sacrificing the life and work with the people he loves the most if it means "doing the right thing", or at least as his own moral compass leads him to believe is the right thing.

The more I ponder, I have to wonder if there's something else as to the reason why Johnny needs to keep this a secret from Dutch, & D'avin.  Does he really think Dutch cares so little for him that she'd immediately kick him to the curb and abandon him?  Yes, they both would try to talk Johnny out of it, but how do Pawter & he expect this to stay secret when most likely he'll be doing things to help Pawter when with D&D; and I'm sure DSK will find out (somehow), at some point.  From what we know of her, you just know she'd love to throw both J & P under the bus with that knowledge.

Speaking of DSK... Adeline Seyah Simms - I see you, writers, abbreviating Pawter's mom's name to ASS since she acted like one - was intimating that there is either a secret war, or a divide between the Nine in how to fight a coming war, and her actions were to prevent Qresh being taken without consequences.  Remember in Schooled when DSK told Dutch she was much better than a friend to her, that she was an ally, whether she liked it or not?  I'm wondering if this won't come into play later, and DSK is fighting on the opposite side that Pawter (& Johnny) will be on.

• Love 2

Guess I'm in the minority. I'm enjoying Dutch's jealousy (and no, I don't think it's romantic jealousy). Dutch has taken Johnny a bit for granted. He's been so supportive, constant, never asking for anything in return, never advancing any romantic/sexual expectations. That's all pretty rare and I don't always feel like Dutch appreciates it. Now she's seeing what it's like when his support isn't always there, and another woman has it. She's suddenly using words like "you're my gravity." I'm likin' this.

Anyway. I loved this episode. The culture clash of taking Johnny to a high etiquette dinner, Khlyen and D'avin switching bodies, meeting D'avin's dad and D'avin's interactions with him (as Khlyen), the look into Pawter's family and their portrayal of her parents, everything.

After last season, I was expecting Pawter's mom to be a Qreshi bitch through and through. I was pleased with their presentation of her character. Almost sad she and Papa Simms died so fast.

One thing that fell a bit short for me was the Johnny/Pawter kiss. They've been doing a decent job of selling the buildup there, but I just didn't feel like that was the right moment for the real first kiss. Maybe it's just me.

On 7/30/2016 at 11:50 AM, MissLucas said:

The body-swapping plot was great and both actors were doing a fine job playing the other character. So it was the chip that makes D'avin immune. But why does Khlyen want to reproduce the effect? Interesting.

Think maybe Khlyen wants to be free of the green goo's influence, too? He acted like Johnny's immunity was a real game changer. I don't know. If any Level Six can be controlled, Khlyen can be controlled as well, right? I never see that happening, I assumed because Khlyen was too high up the chain for that, but now that the Black Root has turned on him, who knows.

On 7/30/2016 at 1:37 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Wonderful father, gets to "see" D'avin again but never once mentions or asks after Johnny.  Also, did we know he was a sheriff?  Fancy & Khlyen wondered if D'avin's immunity might have come from the maternal side - and I know they figured it out that it was the army's mind-control experimentation that made it possible (how quite very cliche, btw) - but didn't Johnny tell Pawter last season that his mom died because of an overdose to her own personal drug addiction, or am I imagining that part of the conversation?

Is it me, or have they pretty much turned Johnny into a Scarback, without the robes or scarred back?  I know this was going to be a storyline about Johnny this season, but I didn't realize they'd be making it so obvious.

Not sure about Sabine yet; is she just an attractive bartender for D'avin to have the hots for, or if there is there a bigger storyline at play.....

What, "peaches" wasn't enough to sell you on Sabine's character? Oh, fine. A secret source of mine has revealed her grandfather also grew apricots. I know. I have chills. The backstory -- masterful. Big things planned for this lady. BIG.

Anyway, I don't remember them ever saying he was a sheriff, just "asshole" and "drunk" and "worst father of all time" and all that. Sounds like great sheriff material. I can't remember what they said about their mom, either.

I don't think they've turned Johnny into a Scarback, personally. Not anymore than Pawter or Pree or anyone else with sympathies for Westerly and the resistance. Johnny knew some of the Scarback rituals and texts, but it was clear he was not a believer. To the extent that his conscience made him go back and tell that guy it wasn't a true blessing.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2016 at 9:21 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

Johnny joins Pawter for a chilly family reunion; D'avin experiences surprising side effects from the Red 17 experiments.

A "chilly" family reunion. I see what you did there.

On 7/30/2016 at 0:51 AM, AlliMo said:

I liked this one, and I thought the actors playing Khlyen and D'Avin both did a pretty good job playing as each other.

I like Pawter and Johnny together. They make a good team.

D'Avin really had Khlyen's voice, mannerisms and body language down!

On 8/1/2016 at 1:45 AM, FurryFury said:

Still don't see Dutch/Johnny as romantic. I think they are still going for Dutch/D'Avin (I mean they had their big UST moment just last episode, and the blonde girl is an obvious rebound for him), but mostly keep their options open. 

I guess Dutch is totally over D'Avin now, because she seemed cool with him flirting with the hot bartender.