Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

Is the slowness of the beam judges lately more fuckery from Nellie Kim? Because MAH GAWD! I could finish a 7 course meal before they get some of these scores out.

Edited by Elsydeon
  • Love 1

#TeamDrama is representing on beam today, it sounds like! I've missed most of the live stream but I am eagerly awaiting the final standings.

Because I just posted: poor Flavia! That's hard. But congrats to Wevers!

Edited by catray
  • Love 1
Just now, Elsydeon said:

Is the slowness of the beam judges lately more fuckery from Nellie Kim? Because MAH GAWD! I could finish a 7 course meal before the get some of these scores out.

There's a French inquiry from the French. Extend your leaps to full 180 and maybe you'll get full credit next time.

• Love 3
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

Woah. Flavinia got lowballed! 

Simone had higher difficulty 

I am wondering where the knocks on Flavia did happen. (in comparison to Simone). but it doesn't matter because Flavia was 5th, so.. just a bummer. I think if she hit that layout, she's on the Podium

May the next quad study what Wevers did and implement it (with some more tumbling) that was one beautiful beam routine. 

• Love 1

I normally wouldn't want someone to win with a fall, but I don't consider hands down a true fall and both Boyer and Brazil's gymnast really had some messy routines and Simone's was perfect except for that. 

So, we are on track for every US women's gymnast to medal in an EF except for Gabby. Much better outcome than in 2012.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, DawnDavenport said:

There's a French inquiry from the French. Extend your leaps to full 180 and maybe you'll get full credit next time.

It's not just this final. The slowness of this particular apparatus has been a problem for a good while now.

1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Woah. Flavinia got lowballed! 

She and Biles received the same exact E-score, 8.233. It came down to D-scores. Biles had 6.5 and Flavinia only had a 6.3. I actually thought that despite the mistake, Biles' was still better.

• Love 2

Aw, Flavia was cute. But I'm glad Simone medaled.

Congrats to Sanne, Laurie and Simone.

Let's go Simone and Aly on floor! I wish Laurie was competing on floor as well, I just love her personality and sass.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, pivot said:

I normally wouldn't want someone to win with a fall, but I don't consider hands down a true fall and both Boyer and Brazil's gymnast really had some messy routines and Simone's was perfect except for that. 

So, we are on track for every US women's gymnast to medal in an EF except for Gabby. Much better outcome than in 2012.

Pretty much.  Aly needs to hit floor and already has an Ind. AA silver.  Laurie and Maddy have silvers, Biles Gold and Bronze.  Wonderful year for our ladies.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Our very first individual Olympic gold for a woman ever(not sure about other colors). I'm sooooo proud of her <3

I missed her routine so but I'm excited to go back and watch it. Sounds like it was interesting based on the commentary from Kupets and Horton.

If anything I feel like there should be pressure with whoever takes over after Marta to make the decision making more democratic and less about one person (Marta). It's not fair that Gabby is being blamed because of Marta's decisions. If there's one thing that makes me cringe it's how all the girls always talk about "impressing Marta" as if that was the only thing that mattered to them. In that sense I won't miss Marta even though I respect her dedication to the sport. 

Disagree.  The men have a democratic committee (12 minutes to choose a team!) and you saw how that turned out.  

Pleasing Marta is no different than soldiers following their leader into battle or students trying to impress a brilliant but notably tough teacher.  Marta raised the bar for women's gymnastics.  Love her or hate her, but she gave these young women a focus.  Marta is no different than Simon Cowell.  No other judge's opinion matters.

Boyer's inquiry was rejected. 

And now the Olympic gymnastics committee is $200 richer.  (To prevent frivolous inquiries, a team is charged $100 for every inquiry request.  If the requester wins, they get their money back.)

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Good thing Twitter wasn't invented in 2008. I shudder to think about the amount of hate Alicia Sacramone would have recieved. 

Less than Gabby I'd guess.  A lot of it is racism. 

• Love 12

I think it's total bullshit that hands on the beam is equal to a fall. This isn't floor. I do think hands on the beam is just an *extreme* balance check, and it should be deducted as such. However, even if Simone hadn't done that, would she have definitely received the gold? I'm sure her "fall" cost her the silver, though. It's better to medal than not medal at all. #TeamBronze.

Nonetheless, I am THRILLED for Laurie Hernandez. She's just such a talented cutie. She was BEAMING.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

My power went out right after Wever's routine, and I missed the rest of the competition! Did you all hear me scream?  I guess they'll show it tonight, but boy am I pissed.

I thought I heard something.  NBC has the replay up on the nbcolympics site if you want to watch it before tonight. Or without Al.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

I think it's total bullshit that hands on the beam is equal to a fall. This isn't floor. I do think hands on the beam is just an *extreme* balance check, and it should be deducted as such. However, even is Simone hadn't done that, would she have definitely received the gold? I'm sure her "fall" cost her the silver, though. It's better to medal than not medal at all. #TeamBronze.

Nonetheless, I am THRILLED for Laurie Hernandez. She's just such a talented cutie. She was BEAMING.

It's quite possible she could have received the gold. Other than the punch front, she was right on. She gets amplitude and her execution is pretty clean as well. I think her D-score would have been a 6.7 before the mistake as well, the highest in the competition. So yes, she would have received gold with a clean routine. Wevers had a couple of small issues as well: balance check on her triple turn and Kupets said she didn't connect a series. Damn though, that turn sequence was awesome and unique as hell! Mustafina eat your heart out!

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Disagree.  The men have a democratic committee (12 minutes to choose a team!) and you saw how that turned out.  

Pleasing Marta is no different than soldiers following their leader into battle or students trying to impress a brilliant but notably tough teacher.  Marta raised the bar for women's gymnastics.  Love her or hate her, but she gave these young women a focus.  Marta is no different than Simon Cowell.  No other judge's opinion matters.

And the results since 2004 speak for themselves: 2 Silver and 2 Gold team medals, 4 AA titles in a row with two 1,2 AA finishes, and umpteen individual event medals. I think the system is working. Injuries are still an issue but the team seems relatively healthy so it seems a happy medium between conditioning, nutrition, and over-training has been reached (I hope).

I think this will be the first Olympics where the women medal on all 4 events (yes I'm counting my chickens on floor).

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

And the results since 2004 speak for themselves. 2 Silver and 2 Gold team medals, 4 AA titles in a row with two 1,2 AA finishes, and umpteen individual event medals. I think the system is working. Injuries are still an issue but the team seems relatively healthy so it seems a happy medium between conditioning, nutrition, and over-training has been reached (I hope).

I think this will be the first Olympics where the women medal on all 4 events (yes I'm counting my chickens on floor).

Exactly the men's system relies on numbers from competitions (trials/nationals). While Martha's system goes by current/performances. 

36 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Yup. No one has done more for US gymnastics. The results speak for themselves.

I do wonder if something is going on with Bela and that's why Marta is retiring. Normally Bela is very visible. This Olympics, not so much. Someone mentioned that it looked like he'd lost weight. I hope he's ok.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Minneapple said:

I do wonder if something is going on with Bela and that's why Marta is retiring. Normally Bela is very visible. This Olympics, not so much. Someone mentioned that it looked like he'd lost weight. I hope he's ok.

There have been rumors that he's suffering from Alzheimer's.

Oh, that's very sad, if true. I saw Bela for a split second in a video that Leslie Jones posted on Twitter--she was doing a cartwheel for him in a hallway (it was hilariously bad) and he walked up and hugged her. He did look thinner, but it was a quick view.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Martha said  she was retiring after the London Olympics. Instead they put Rybacki in charge of elite programs and Valeri in charge of development. So Martha could focus on the national team.

Edited by choclatechip45

If your hands touch the ground on vault - it's 1 point off. 
if you fall off bars - its one point off. 
if your hands touch the ground on floor - it's one point off. 
The beam itself is the floor. Ergo - if you touch it. it's .5 off (if not a point)
If you fall off it's a full point

Why is it bull? Hasn't this been in place for at least 20+ years?  You're not supposed to use the ground (or the beam) to aid in support/balance, if you do it's a very harsh deduction. 

• Love 5