Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

18 minutes ago, healthnut said:

I agree that they need a partnership with Hulu or Netflix. You can only stream the events live as they happen from NBC's website or app. In order to watch replays, you have to have a subscription to NBS Sports Network. It's really screwed up.

I may come off biased on this because I don't have cable and because of that I can't access streaming.  I've been relying on the kindness of neighbors but unfortunately adult responsibilities are getting in the way of my Olympic viewing today, you lovely people are my eyes and ears.  That's why I favor a partnership with any of the Big 3 streaming.  

6 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I expect extensive gymnastics coverage tonight, especially in the first hour, but swimming finals start a few minutes after 9 EDT and don't finish until 10:30-ish. Because those races are live, gymnastics is probably going to get sandwiched around them. 

That's possible.  Two rotations, swimming, final two.  I'm just expecting them to show all the routines from the Top 3 and select others, unlike the varied snippets from the men's coverage.  If the US win, they would totally end their primetime coverage on that note.

The men's program needs a serious overhaul, they need a Marta who will come in and lay down the law. I was embarrassed with the way they were acting last night, not that I'm against athletes celebrating and pumping each other up, but they really needed some perspective last night. I couldn't imagine the women acting like that if they were performing the way the men were last night -- in fact, Marta would probably ascend from the stands and ask them just WTF they think they're doing.

The NYT article did not make me think highly of them, they seem to ignore the fact that the women get the attention and endorsements they do because they're the best in the business, not because they finish off the podium in every major competition they enter.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

And I don't think Marta Karolyi or any one person can fix a mentality. As I said, I really think it has to do with expectations. Team Japan or China can't be happy with a bronze. Their countries won't let them be that way. There are extremely high expectations for all of the gymnasts there to deliver on the world stage. Until there's more public expectations for the men's team in the US I don't think there will be improvements in the men. 

And that's where we come in. We will shame you until you start to live up to your GD potential. As to Team USA laughing and acting like it was a practice session--see Team Russia (women's) at last year's Worlds.

2 hours ago, Elsydeon said:

The TripleCast was so far ahead of its time. The execution was poor, but the idea is pretty much the same as what we get today.

I would SO get this if it were available today!

1 hour ago, Muffyn said:

As another armchair coach, the US team seems easily distracted by noise in the arena, especially early on.  The cheering for Brazil was loud during team USA's floor exercise.  However, they should be able to deal with that.  Gymnastics always has multiple routines going concurrently.  The crowd is not going to all be watching and rooting for the US.  And it's not like they needed to hear music like the women. 

Periodically on, say, Tumblr or YouTube, fans complain about the atmosphere in the GeorgiaDome in '96. "Sooooo disrespectful, so rude, they just cared about the US..." Well first, of course they're going to cheer for their home team. Second, if you claim that your home crowd would not go crazy when a teenage girl sticks a vault on what appears to be a broken leg, I'll say you're a liar. That was Olympic history--and Kerri showed incredible courage. OF COURSE they're going to go crazy. Third, the crowd wasn't rude. They weren't booing anyone. They clapped and cheered for everyone. They were just pro-USA. Lastly, the last time this came up on tumblr and I posted the above, Danell Leyva actually posted and backed me up! He said most gymnasts are used to crowd noise and tune it out.

18 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

@Daisy I think "Team Drama" will come into play during event finals mores than team finals. I really don't think they will allow the United States to sweep the event final medals. Look for Aliya Mustafina to take the bar gold and Hong Un Jong to take the vault gold. Peoples heads will explode and I'll be snacking on my popcorn from home watching the aftermath. 

God, I hope not. Generally I love Aliya's gymnastics but I find her bars work SO. BORING. It's good, sure, but it doesn't turn anyone on to the sport. He Kexin or Beth Tweddle should've won over her in London, they were both so much more exciting and interesting. As for vault, I'm hoping Dipa stands up her Prodounova and sneaks in there for gold.

• Love 1

the USA men reminds me of what we say in hockey. "act like you've scored before." sometimes when hockey teams blow out other hockey teams, and then the team being trumped on scores a goal and they act like they've won a stanley cup. No. you're down 7-1. you don't get to beat your chest and scream and act like you're about to win anything. Act like you've been there before. 

you'd think that USAG would really crack down on the MAG team, because it does seem like they think they're the poop, just like the women's team, but htey don't do anything. 

Re: the Georgia Dome - i remember that the biggest complaint was that they simply couldn't hear their music. I don't know if that had been a factor before (or since) but truly, (and i may have watched that meet one or eleventymillion times), I don't think Russia ever stood a chance. Mag7 just had that air of no one i going to touch us today. 

• Love 1

I actually would have no problem with the men's team if they tried their best and ended up fifth. The problem is the men act cocky having Sam say he could follow in Kohei's footsteps and trying to get attention like saying "if we could compete with our shirts off we would popular". Also they were acting like idiots last night. They talked a big game and failed. They need stop being so arrogant and maybe people would take themselves seriously. Maybe they should learn how to stay in bounds on floor excercise. 

• Love 3

Just a few minutes to start.

USA and China start on vault, move to bars, beam and finally floor.

Russia and GB start on bars, move to beam, floor and finally vault.

Brazil and Germany start on beam, move to floor, vault and finally bars.

Japan and Netherlands start on floor, move to vault, bars and finally beam.

• Love 2

USA is always so shiny lol

Holy crap. Laurie was SO close to the vault. (CBC stream commentator: it was a nice double twist. not a great one, but a nice one).

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Not the international (Aussie? New Zealand?) announcing team NBC has used on the stream before. Does this mean they'll stick with the women the whole time on the stream? They skipped a few US routines on qualifying.

Horton tweeted that they had some broadcasting issues early on, which is why the US got the other announcing crew (who did all the other groups aside from whichever one the USA was in). 

Nice vaults, USA. Love Japan's lotus flower leos. 

• Love 2

I'm watching on the nbcsports stream. The US finished vault. I think the Chinese are vaulting, but all they are showing is Gabby and Laurie sitting there waiting until the Chinese finish. It's ridiculous. 

Eta. Never mind. Here they are

Edited by EVS

RUS did very well on bars! Lots of crowd noise for Brazil on beam. Through the first half of the rotation, USA in first. Back half starting now!

1 minute ago, EVS said:

I'm watching on the nbcsports stream. The US finished vault. I think the Chinese are vaulting, but all they are showing is Gabby and Laurie sitting there waiting until the Chinese finish. It's ridiculous. 

Not yet. They are waiting for the second half of the rotation to start. They get 1:30 to warm up when everyone finishes the first half.

I'm having to follow by scores online and China's hasn't posted yet.  It's possible they haven't started.

Looks like Russia delivered on bars.  Hopefully in an hour I'll watch, I'm a score whore right now.

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ExplainItAgain said:

RUS did very well on bars! Lots of crowd noise for Brazil on beam. Through the first half of the rotation, USA in first. Back half starting now!

Not yet. They are waiting for the second half of the rotation to start. They get 1:30 to warm up when everyone finishes the first half.

Just now, kittykat said:

I'm having to follow by scores online and China's hasn't posted yet.  It's possible they haven't started.

Thanks. I just got impatient. Here they go. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Looks like Russia delivered on bars.  Hopefully in an hour I'll watch, I'm a score whore right now.

No, China is warming vault right now. 

4 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

However, as a person who hates long sleeves, I like that they are 3/4 length.

I'm surprised most don't do what that PRK gymnast does, no sleeves. I like that style.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

I'm not 100% convinced all of the Chinese ladies are over 12 years old. One of them looks younger than my friend's 10 year old daughter.

Right? like there is one that i am like "are you sure you're 16?" 

My sister bought the total red/white/blue channel package back in the 1990's and LOVED it!  I was working, and she called me throughout the day to update me on stuff.  I was so bummed that it was a critical and commercial flop because it was the perfect way to watch the Olympics.  My boys are loving the NBC sports app and have been talking about handball and fencing and other, more obscure Olympic sports.  They are finding a lot on the television as well.  I just don't have the time to research when/how to watch my favorite stuff live so accept the primetime coverage for what it is.

Nice to see them fill with routines from Mustafina and the little Brazilian girl who owned the beam in quals instead of the US warming up bars. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
Just now, HerLadyship said:

Personally, rooting for them to be standing to the side and watching Team GB put their medals on. Probably a pipe dream. 

I would love if GB ended up on the podium.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

thanks guys for keeping me updated. whoever was stupid enough to put diving + gymnastics together should be shot.

I agree! But I chose this. :) I can watch diving between now and Primetime. 

1 minute ago, HerLadyship said:

Personally, rooting for them to be standing to the side and watching Team GB put their medals on. Probably a pipe dream. 

That would be even better. However, I'm expecting China to get bronze. We should check when they smile to see if they have lost all of their baby teeth yet.

• Love 2

I have 3 streams going on my computer and one on TV I'm exhausted! I have to watch diving as well as gymnastics so it's a lot of clicking to different streams

• Love 3
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

It's bugging me how close the Chinese coach gets to the girls on bars--it's like he's right up on them. I don't notice that with other teams.

I was just going to write that. I thought he was gonna get kicked in the head.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Cherpumple said:

What is the point of them being there? I don't think I've ever once seen them actually catch a falling gymnast or prevent an injury.

There was a video float around a couple of weeks ago about a college gymnast slipping off of the bars. The coach caught her and flipped her, preventing what would have likely been a major injury. 

Does any other team have the gymnasts moving equipment around? China had a gymnast moving the board off. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

What is the point of them being there? I don't think I've ever once seen them actually catch a falling gymnast or prevent an injury.

They're not allowed to. If they touch the gymnast, it's a deduction.