Type keyword(s) to search

All Alone In The Media

• Start Topic

Cool! I love this show, hope it's successful in other countries. I laugh at Survivor now, and what it's become, from what it could have been. This show is a good example of how to actually throw someone out into the middle of nowhere and see if they can survive.

• Love 1

Oh! That makes sense. The starting early, I mean. Shooting in South America, meant that they filmed season 3 in our spring. I wonder if they filmed a season 4 in the northern hemisphere and will have another season next summer?

• Love 3
17 hours ago, roamyn said:

i just saw the date yesterday, too.  It seems early to me, so I wonder if anyone stayedas long as David.

Seasons 1-2 were filmed in the northern hemisphere starting in the October timeframe and airing in June of the following year. Season 3 was filmed in the southern hemisphere starting in the March timeframe, so airing in December is right on schedule.

1 hour ago, rainsmom said:

Seasons 1-2 were filmed in the northern hemisphere starting in the October timeframe and airing in June of the following year. Season 3 was filmed in the southern hemisphere starting in the March timeframe, so airing in December is right on schedule.

Oh.  I'd heard they started filming the survivalists in Patagonia in July.  I remember this coming into the discussions - either here or on a different forum.

10 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Oh.  I'd heard they started filming the survivalists in Patagonia in July.  I remember this coming into the discussions - either here or on a different forum.

Oh, then I stand corrected! I apologize. This is early!

6 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

Oh, then I stand corrected! I apologize. This is early!

Don't apologize.  You might be correct. 

I'm think we're both correct.  They may have started production in March.

But I remember the show also mentioned it during the reunion, that filming was currently going on in Patagonia.  And the reunion took place in July 

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

Well, I'm still anxious to see it and happy that it's coming so soon.  It's going to start right around the time that Westworld finishes up.

I hope we get to see one of the international versions.  I'd love to see some dour Scandanavians going it alone.  I'm sure they will outdo any American.

My mom just phoned me, she's up visisting friends in Port McNeill, BC, near where the first 2 seasons were filmed.  She was very excited to tell me that everyone was talking about how a local woman, Megan Hanacek, is going to be in season 3.  They said she was gone all summer, and won't talk about it at all.  So they don't know who won, or even how long she lasted.  She has a different last name on the show as she is married, but my mom couldn't remember it.  It's kind of cool, because her dad was my grade nine math teacher, way back in 1982.

• Love 7

Charlesman said:

A day ahead of the Season 3 premiere, they just announced a renewal for a Season 4. No word yet on where it'll take place.

Yay!  I'm glad this show is doing well enough for renewal.  It's genuinely hard and interesting.

4 hours ago, holly4755 said:

a Callie post where she explains about gill nets/fishing, Zac's injury and running into other contestants. ETC. 

there are some small spoilers about her "home". 

bush craft USA forum

and plant life

Interesting reading - both her comments and the take from the other posters. Looks like after about a week she contacted someone, maybe a moderator, and said she was going quiet for awhile (and someone responded she had also closed her twitter account) Maybe she'll come back online when she can say more.

Reading through the other posts, though, I discovered Fowler has been doing weekly interviews with his local paper.  http://www.penbaypilot.com  I already posted a link to one article, but looks like others are there as well.

Week one:  http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/appleton-survivalist-zachary-fowler-competes-new-season-history-channel-s-alone/79732?source=mp

Week 2:  http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/week-two-alone-zach-throws-shovel/79993

Week 3:  http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/alone-week-3-things-start-get-serious-zach/80302

Week 4: http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/alone-week-4-zach-fashions-duck-hunter-3000-out-driftwood/80460 

And, week 5: (already posted this link, but here again)  http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/alone-week-5-zach-versus-dan/80692

interesting site, there lots of things up for discussion  from the best kind of axe to not being negative, yet some apparent trolls insist on breaking the rule. Funny how they are getting new members just to discuss this topic. Last night I posted about them being in a lake region toward the north end of patagonia, yet someone posted a lake name at the tip of Chile and another said it was verified but I think they were talking about Bariloche. I froze the video of the map and compared what looked like the geography and came up with that city.   

http://www.swoop-patagonia.com/visit/map

http://www.swoop-patagonia.com/argentina/lake-district

On the second map, you can look at the orange dots,  near San Martin de los Andes. if you look around the second section, you will see this area and all the tours available in the area - (one of the primo skiing sites in the Andes. ) Tourists can easily get near there if they so desire already. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Fowler better be careful, if he keeps yakking the non-disclosure contract will bite him in the ass.

Good point. I remember Nicole had a page started out promising to answer questions last season, and then after repeatedly having to answer she couldn't talk about that yet, not sure if she can answer, etc the site stalled out and died. Probably has something to do with why Callie bowed out of that forum.

Having the flu is making me sleep more during the day and up all night. so.... 

I was looking to see what else there was in the media and found that Alone has been renewed for a 4th season and as far as location????

“In season three, viewers will experience how our survivalists endure the challenges faced in a new, remote location at the bottom of the globe. In season four we are elevating the show to even greater heights and hope the evolution of the series will continue to captivate viewers and keep them on their toes.”

Alone: Fourth Season Renewal for History Channel Series

who knew the production company is also responsible for one of the phony reality shows Pawn Stars.  and a bunch of spin offs. 

Edited by holly4755

I was looking for the podcast 'Alone Time' mentioned in a different thread, and came across an interview with David, S2 winner.  Apparently there was a cougar one night ripping up a deer less than 100 yards from his site.  Is that the first time a cougar siting has really been discussed?

He also clarified the pot of water falling into the fire.  He had no where else to put his fire, and the peat moss beneath the fire kept sinking.

• Love 1

Alan Kay is hosting a self-defense and gun skills class here in Murphy, NC at Cherokee Guns and More store! I tried to sign up but the class was already full. I'll try again next time he has another. He was on a local radio station with Lori Duke Jones yesterday morning talking about the classes he's taught.

Here are season 4 episodes 7 and 8 previews as shown by TV Guide. Not much of a spoiler but I was instructed to past them here rather under the thread for the just screen episode. 

The three remaining teams scramble for a long-term advantage. One pair runs themselves ragged with an elaborate shelter build, while another hazards the freezing Pacific waters on their own small craft.

Existential threats are faced at every turn by the three remaining teams after nearly a month on the island, as one participant is forced to fight a raging fire, while rising tensions could end a partnership.

media ish - I found this from Dave on bushcraft forum and thought it would be worth a read for a lot of people. I remember thinking this guy will never make it, but the more I read his posts the better I like him. 

The gravity of the experience doesn't hit you until you know you're there for "time undetermined". I've done many solo trips knowing they would last a few days and never felt the emotional weight of that first day on Alone. You're facing solitude, suffering, and starvation knowing you're a month away from anything resembling stability. I don't think it can be simulated.

Getting on the show is like any other job interview. You go in all confident and enthusiastic, only showing your best face. At boot camp everyone is functioning at 110%. They have to answer the questions, "Can you do this?" - "Do we want to work with you for several months?" - "Will people care about you?"

There is a serious gut check once they give you a slot. "Oh man, I really have to do this thing now." It's nut up or shut up time. 

I was so tired of thinking about it that Drop Day was a relief. There comes a point at which head knowledge and speculation don't add anything real. You can't refine the calculation without specific information. Then you get there and start looking around. You get a flood of new information to put through the "can-I-do-this-do-I-want-to" equation. It does not surprise me that about 1/4 conclude their original calculations were off, ie. "This is way harder than I thought and I don't want to do this."

I think there is a difference between psyching yourself up to a challenge and having the quiet confidence to face it. It's the difference between talking yourself into something and talking yourself through it.

As the winner of season 2 and having spoken at length with members of all the other seasons and the casting people at Leftfield, I will never believe that anyone was ever selected "so they would tap early". There are too many things that can go wrong with a totally qualified and skilled cast to work that into the show. Case in point are the Bosdells of season 4. This was a highly skilled and determined team taken out by a back injury. They live in Wrangell Alaska, essentially the same ground as Vancouver island only colder where they live a subsistence lifestyle off the ocean. It HURT to watch them go home. On my season Desmond took a lot of flack. Have you ever hand-lined a sturgeon? Me neither, but he has.

If everyone was still out two weeks in I think the audience would be more engaged with a higher level of respect for the show. First season was a wake-up call for the producers, half the cast gone in eight days. They were terrified they wouldn't have a show at all and work very hard to make sure they get a cast that will go the distance and make the show a hit. The bottom line is they are human and can't predict the future. They throw the cast into this horrific situation and trust they will produce an interesting experience for 2 million people.

• Love 6

Thanks for posting this. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Dave was my favorite from the beginning of his season just because I liked him.  I didn't think he'd win until halfway through when I saw his steady determination.  I was very happy for him.  He writes well.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2017 at 9:54 AM, cooksdelight said:

I want a predator to come after somebody. Let's see some real living-in-the-woods type of action.

the reality is that you're more likely to be hit by lightning than attacked by a predator (in N America) For 200+ years now, animal that has done so was immediately hunted down and killed, so the "gene" for attacking humans is pretty much bred out of them.

• Love 1
(edited)

MLP, Dave posts a lot at BushcraftUSA.com. the alone thread is in the media section.  Her wrote a lot about his experience in season 2 threads.  

OK one more David thing,  a very long fan interview. 

http://www.captainairyca.com/2017/02/09/interview-with-dave-mcintyre-winner-of-alone-season-2/

YOu can follow links of this woman to the media links of each contestant of every year. 

anyway the high lights of this Q&A was the somewhat complaints about armchair survivors claiming someone else was filming him because he spent a long time to set up a bunch of cameras to get something from all angles and then walked in to the set, .....

his weight gain at the end, and how he felt they did not show how nice his shelter was and  his finally broken down daily schedule. .

Edited by holly4755
  • Love 3

Can you tell if it's going to be "Actually, Really Alone" or  "Alone - Except Not" again? Because if it's the latter, I don't know if I'll bother to watch.  Although Mongolia has me interested.  I just saw a Nat Geo special hunting for the tomb of Genghis Khan and you can be really, really alone in Mongolia.

• Love 2