Type keyword(s) to search

All Alone In The Media

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, stane said:

there's  apparently few fish this season , so most of the netting will need to be shifted over into making  weir- type traps for waterfowl,   and netting-wrapped, sapling framed box traps for other birds, like magpies, pigeons, and for small mammals. The walking around hunting is a sucker's bet. Baited tree stands, snares for big game, that's all I'd bother with.  Elk, moose, caribou can be foot snared to a drag log and arrowed later.  Deer can be strangled. You have to braid 4 strands of the 20 ga wire into a cable that's capable of holding them, tho.  Because duck meat is so fatty,  and deer venison so lean,  the flesh from  20 ducks provides just as many calories as does a 100 lb deer.  The duck weirs can each catch 810 ducks at a time. The birds can mostly be kept alive, either tied wings and feet, or in a small pen. This removes the need to preserve their flesh, until consistently freezing weather does so for you. The birds will probably draw predators, like weasels, fox, lynx that can be arrowed or shot, too. Beware of owls, hawks  and eagles snatching your food-supply.

fishguts/heads and/or boiled, then roasted cambium will bait in gulls and ducks. they LOVE bread, you know. 🙂 Cambium is plentiful, but burns a lot of time/calories to get processed.  WW2 studies showed that 160 lb men lose weight FASTER if they eat less than  150 calories per day, than if they merely fasted. So, if you can catch only a few small fish, use them as bait for the duck traps (assuming that there's lots of waterfowl around) Gulls offer much less calories per lb than ducks and taste nasty, but you're clearing $3000-$4000 per day out there, so chomp down on gulls. and smile all the way to the bank!

So is this new show "Alone:  The Beast" related to this show somehow?  I saw the first episode, it was just okay.  It did have the long shots of the boats coming to drop off and pick up the participants, so that was similar.  

The format here is they drop off three contestants and they have to survive for 30 days.  There was no discussion of what they "win" or get for compensation that I can remember - but I admittedly wasn't paying that close attention.  They leave an animal carcass in a spot in the wilderness for them and the group has to secure the "beast" and manufacture their own tools to harvest it.  It was a moose in this case but it looks like it will be a different animal every week. 

They dropped off two guys and a girl.  The first guy got sick right away and quit, okay.  The second guy missed his children and quit about 10 days in (that reeks of the mother show!).  So the girl had to stay the rest of the time alone, she did well but lost some weight.  This episode was in the  Arctic, but apparently they're going to vary the locations.  Wasn't that thrilling but I'll probably watch it next week.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

So is this new show "Alone:  The Beast" related to this show somehow?  I saw the first episode, it was just okay.  It did have the long shots of the boats coming to drop off and pick up the participants, so that was similar.  

I saw those previews and was wondering what that was.  Didn't they drop them off without any gear and that's the premise - that they survive with nothing?  I didn't record it because I don't have room in my TV schedule for more than one "Alone" type show.  My good friend watches everything like this including "Naked and Afraid" but none of those shows engage me like the original "Alone".

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I saw those previews and was wondering what that was.  Didn't they drop them off without any gear and that's the premise - that they survive with nothing?

Yeah, they dropped them off with just the clothes on their backs.  The immediate gimmick is that they leave a carcass waiting for them and they have to secure it from other predators and harvest it for food and other uses, but they have no knives or other tools.  So in this one they made knives out of rocks.

I taped it originally because I wasn't sure if it was the new season of Alone.  But it appears to be some sort of spinoff.  I don't even know if they're going to have another season of Alone.  And I don't know why they call this "Alone" when they drop three of them off together as a team.  And there's none of the business about filming themselves, so even the last woman left wasn't really alone out there.  Obviously there's a camera crew.  They also talked about her weight loss, so there must be a medical team also.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, they dropped them off with just the clothes on their backs.  The immediate gimmick is that they leave a carcass waiting for them and they have to secure it from other predators and harvest it for food and other uses, but they have no knives or other tools.  So in this one they made knives out of rocks.

I taped it originally because I wasn't sure if it was the new season of Alone.  But it appears to be some sort of spinoff.  I don't even know if they're going to have another season of Alone.  And I don't know why they call this "Alone" when they drop three of them off together as a team.  And there's none of the business about filming themselves, so even the last woman left wasn't really alone out there.  Obviously there's a camera crew.  They also talked about her weight loss, so there must be a medical team also.

It looks like there will be another season of regular "Alone" judging from the blogs of some past contestants and sites where auditions are discussed, although there has been no word yet on where it will take place.  But it does look like there is some confusion among viewers about whether the show you just watched is taking the place of "Alone" or whether it's just a spin-off.  I'm sure it's just a spin-off, but the network is not really making that clear and I saw some people on a Reddit complaining that they don't like the changes, as if they don't realize that this is not the same series as the original.

• Love 2
(edited)

When they filmed a season of couples, they lost me. Don’t mess with success. If you have a winning concept of people truly being alone, leave it be!!

This new show may be another attempt to try to shake up the conventional.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

When they filmed a season of couples, they lost me. Don’t mess with success. If you have a winning concept of people truly being alone, leave it be!!

This new show may be another attempt to try to shake up the conventional.

I agree.  I think they're trying to capitalize on the show title by calling it "Alone" to get more people to tune in.  Unfortunately they may turn off more people in the process.  At least they learned not to fiddle with the format of the original "Alone".

• Love 3
On 2/1/2020 at 1:47 AM, Yeah No said:

I saw those previews and was wondering what that was.  Didn't they drop them off without any gear and that's the premise - that they survive with nothing?  I didn't record it because I don't have room in my TV schedule for more than one "Alone" type show.  My good friend watches everything like this including "Naked and Afraid" but none of those shows engage me like the original "Alone".

Ironically, Naked and Afraid are now doing alone episodes and no longer have the team.

The first beast episode was lame, mostly because there was no chemistry between the team members and none of them were charismatic on camera. I did admire the lady for sticking it through.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 3
On 2/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, humbleopinion said:

A musk ox was “the beast” harvested for the second group of 3 men.

Spoiler alert...No one bailed.

I don't think I've ever seen a reality show where three people thrown together got along so well.  Didn't seem like there was a hint of drama.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

The Geo.Washington mini series is preempting but what happened to episode 3?

Curious and curiouser....

It is odd, but they're standalone episodes anyway, so it doesn't really matter.  I'm sure it will turn up eventually.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:13 AM, Peper81 said:

Does anyone know where the rest of the episodes for Alone: The Beast are?  I have two episodes on my DVR and I can’t find any other episodes.  Did this show get dropped?

Not sure about it being dropped, but it does seem to have been passed over for other programming. FWIW, I thought the concept was too far removed from "Alone". There seemed to be a production crew for gosh sakes!  And...thirty days with a food source given was far too easy for these people. Second set of three guys made it look like a boy scout campout and the lady on episode one was "the beast".

• Love 2
On 2/20/2020 at 9:40 AM, TWOPrefugee said:

Not sure about it being dropped, but it does seem to have been passed over for other programming. FWIW, I thought the concept was too far removed from "Alone". There seemed to be a production crew for gosh sakes!  And...thirty days with a food source given was far too easy for these people. Second set of three guys made it look like a boy scout campout and the lady on episode one was "the beast".

From what i can see it’s still being shown there’s only one episode per week. On the website it shows upcoming episodes.  There was sure a couple of wimpy guys on the  first episode but the lone woman hung in there.  The three guys in the second episode seemed to get along well.  I guess not much happens in the Arctic over a 30 day period 🤷‍♀️

Edited by endure

I'm in Canada and have been watching or recording episodes every Thurs eve on the History ch, there has been 4 episodes and I can see there are 2 more upcoming scheduled.  Honestly I'm not enjoying this season as much.  Each episode is the 30 day experience of a group 3 people....I haven't figured out how they declare a winner at the end.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:17 AM, endure said:

Each episode is the 30 day experience of a group 3 people....I haven't figured out how they declare a winner at the end.

I haven't figured out how they still call it "Alone". 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 3/12/2020 at 2:44 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I haven't figured out how they still call it "Alone". 

Alone: The Beast = Maybe this time it’s the beast is alone but dead, there’s only one of them lol.  This week takes place in a swamp, the beast is an alligator.  Three male survivors, one drops out early, I think he was tired 💤 

20 hours ago, endure said:

This week takes place in a swamp, the beast is an alligator.

This is not showing up in my listings at all, and it hasn't for some time.  I don't think more than 2-3 episodes have aired in the Chicago area. 

On 3/18/2020 at 9:14 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

This is not showing up in my listings at all, and it hasn't for some time.  I don't think more than 2-3 episodes have aired in the Chicago area. 

As far as I can see, only two episodes have aired where I live (Indiana).

• Love 1
On 5/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Just saw a promo for the new season!   Back in the Arctic, but some very significant changes:  prize is up to $1 million, but to win it you must stay 100 days. 

Starts June 11th. 

Cast and additional info:

https://www.history.com/shows/alone

The first guy to quit dropped out on day ten. A complete loss, coudn't even figure out how to handle wet wood. None of them know much, apparently, cause the gear list is the came old crud that's always just let them starve, with one exception. When you are STUCK in a 2.5 mile wide circle, that you didn't get to pick, the odds of there being a large animal there are very bad. So you've got to set up to take LOTS of waterfowl and fish, as well as quite a few small land animals and nets. To make it to 100 days is going to take a minimum of 300,000 calories.  Jordan lost 5 lbs in 55 days, despite eating 4500 calories per day

Just saw a promo for the new season!   Back in the Arctic, but some very significant changes:  prize is up to $1 million, but to win it you must stay 100 days. 

Starts June 11th. 

Starts June 11th. 

Could find a spoiler/speculation thread but this one was tagged “spoilers” but I’ll hide it just in case. It’s only speculation. 

Spoiler

We’ve seen a man slipping on steep rocks, which I haven’t seen on the show yet. My daughter and I are speculating that it’s Roland and it takes him out. Nothing else will budge this man from winning besides an unfortunate accident or injury. I could have missed the slip on the show and this could be nothing but I’m going with it for now. Setting up a woman winner, maybe? I’m not watching the after-show, so this is pure speculation. Great season!

• Love 1
On 4/9/2021 at 12:06 PM, SassyCat said:

Was watching the History channel last night and saw a commercial that said a new season of ALONE is starting in June. Yeehaw! It did not say the actual start date.

The one reality show that's actually appropriate during a pandemic and lockdown. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

An interview led by Tiemojin with Benji, Karie Lee and Igor.  It's 44 minutes long and I only got 15 minutes in so if anyone watches the whole thing and finds out anything particularly interesting, do share.

Season 10 coming June 8, 2023.

The History Channel has set a June 8, 2023 premiere date for season 10 of Alone. The new season will air on Thursdays at 9pm ET/PT and will feature 10 survivalists vying to be the last person standing and collect the $500,000 grand prize.

Season 10 will feature James “Wyatt” Black (50), a business owner from Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada; Cade Cole (28), a professional hunting guide from Crowheart, Wyoming; Lee Ray DeWilde (59), a pilot from Huslia, Alaska; Mikey Helton (31), a carpenter from Rome, Georgia; and Luke Joseph Olsen (39), an entrepreneur and glass artist from Maui, Hawaii.

The new season also stars Jodi Rose (45), owner of Wild River Tables from Worland, Wyoming; Ann Rosenquist (56), an off-grid organic farmer from Northern Wisconsin, Melanie Sawyer (54), a living history teacher and founder of Wild Foods from Essex County, New York; Alan Tenta (52), a high school teacher from Columbia Valley, BC, Canada; and Tarcisio “Tax” Ramos Dos Santos (35), a direct support professional, musician, and homesteader, from Becket, Massachusetts and Sergipe, Brazil.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

There is a UK version of Alone filming  in Canada.

The article said that the participants are not of the same caliber of the US cast.

One dude axes his own leg only hours to landing and is medically yanked Day 1.

Another is undone by her tarp.

Can't wait for the eye rolling to begin.

• Useful 1
On 8/8/2023 at 4:17 PM, humbleopinion said:

There is a UK version of Alone filming  in Canada.

The article said that the participants are not of the same caliber of the US cast.

One dude axes his own leg only hours to landing and is medically yanked Day 1.

Another is undone by her tarp.

Can't wait for the eye rolling to begin.

I caught this on History Channel this morning, Sat, Dec 16, started at 6AM CT, 6 eps. I didn't watch any of it, but set to series record. Is this the first airing of it in the States?? Looks like they decided to burn it off here!! Didn't hear about it (on TV) & no future airings in next 2 weeks. 

On 12/16/2023 at 2:40 PM, borealis said:

I caught this on History Channel this morning, Sat, Dec 16, started at 6AM CT, 6 eps. I didn't watch any of it, but set to series record. Is this the first airing of it in the States?? Looks like they decided to burn it off here!! Didn't hear about it (on TV) & no future airings in next 2 weeks. 

I just happened to see it on the schedule and watched the first half hour of the first episode and decided to forget the rest.  It was just too similar to the Aus. version I just watched.  Also, noticing that they weren't showing any future airings past the first 6 episodes I figured it wasn't worth getting invested in it.

• Like 2

We had it on as background noise while doing chores.  Apparently, people in Great Britain think that Hyde Park is a lot like jungles.  Except that jungles have bears and are really quiet.

Most of them seemed naive about what to expect.  Walking through thickets was a big challenge for most of them. 

I'm not naive.  I know better than to sign up for this type of challenge.  

• Like 2