Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: Judge Cuts 3

• Start Topic

once again, there's the pattern of - here's a crappy singer, now another, now HERE comes a GOOD singer.    Here's a bad comedian, here's a worse comedian, now HERE is one who will make you laugh!  

I like the George Lopez used the golden buzzer on the Argentine dancer/whip act.  I liked them a lot.  

And I like Tape Face. 

• Love 7

The red-haired girl singer was so much better than some of the singers let through on earlier episodes, she got screwed by being up against the judge's favorite singer of the night.

I did like the magician that got through - the one that did the trick with the dollars.  That was pretty impressive.  And I am so glad that I never have to see that vegas/elvis/burlesque couple again.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Who were the 7 acts that made it through? We had an epic TV fail this evening...

From the comments above, and the youtube videos on their channel tonight I'm guessing Maleva (GB), Tape Face, some magician, Brian Crum, a standup comic (Sam?), the danger act couple with the drill, and maybe the little kid who dances with his mom?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Who were the 7 acts that made it through? We had an epic TV fail this evening...

From the comments above, and the youtube videos on their channel tonight I'm guessing Maleva (GB), Tape Face, some magician, Brian Crum, a standup comic (Sam?), the danger act couple with the drill, and maybe the little kid who dances with his mom?

Ack, same here.  A severe weather warning cut off the eliminations, but it came back on for a quick look at the seven who were advancing.  Sorry, I'm bad with names--I only know them from their performances tonight.

The singer who was bullied as a child for being gay.

The guy swallowing a drill or a chain saw or something.  (I couldn't watch.)

The mother and little kid dance duo. 

The 17-year old suit 'n tie singer who came back with jazz hands 'n style.

Maleva.

The magician who . . . switched the money corners . . . in his mouth?

Tapeface!

• Love 2

Daniel Joyner-Singer, Blake Vogt-Magician, Alla and Daniel Novikov-Ballroom Dancers, Tape Face-Mime, Malevo, Ryan Stock & AmberLynn-The drill people, and Brian Justin Crum - Singer

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Daniel Joyner-Singer, Blake Vogt-Magician, Alla and Daniel Novikov-Ballroom Dancers, Tape Face-Mime, Malevo, Ryan Stock & AmberLynn-The drill people, and Brian Justin Crum - Singer

WOW!  Good with names!

• Love 4

That stripper/fringe woman was an abomination and the guy couldn't even hold a note.

The mother/son dancers totally creeped me out. 

There were a couple who advanced who IMHO should have been replaced by the red-headed female singer. 

• Love 4

Easily the weakest grouping of judge cuts.  Maybe 2. Maybe, of them could have survived last week's JC #2 round of death.

I am an unabashed fan of Malevo, but I call foul on the very, very low audio level from the performance and the pegging of the track.  I could not hear any striking of any drum and the bolas were super faint.  Unfair, bordering on shenanigans.  I am very happy they got the GB, though.  Well deserved!

Edit monkeys got me tonight!  I thought for SURE green dress was the GB.  I was working up some mean as she belted out in utterly forgettable fashion.  And she ended up walking off the stage without the GB!  Yes.

It's also super unfair, longterm, that the best comedians do not get anything near the time Tapeface does.  I loved his plane jump segment and he deserved to get through, no doubt.

The open, with Howie, et al, at Universal Studios was weak, as well.  Yes, Howie, there is a reason you'd think Creep was directed at you.  You didn't need to say anything.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, backformore said:

And I am so glad that I never have to see that vegas/elvis/burlesque couple again.  

A-freakin-men. I hate that kind of thing, insulting to the audience and to the act as well. 

• Love 4
(edited)

TapeFace got through!!  I love him.  Can't believe they put through the kid who dances with his mom and the idiot who swallows drills and chain saws.  Gross.  A couple of really good acts got screwed over by those choices.

Edited by Drogo
Formatting.
  • Love 6

I feel like they grouped these acts together so they would have a chance. I think they could have let go of the Mother and Son dancing act, and the chainsaw act. That way they could have kept the comedian that opened for Amy Schumer, and Tape face because both of them are amazing. They just probably figured that the comedian would do fine with his ties he already has in the business. Also, Tape face is a super audience favorite. Because he's super dope.

• Love 1

I completely surprised myself when I involuntarily burst out laughing when Tape Face did the envelope "mouth" on Howie's stomach, and I couldn't stop laughing. It was so stupid and ridiculous and so FUNNY, all at the same time. I hope the final guy, the gay singer who was fat and bullied in school, is over that now because even if he couldn't sing a note, he is Hollywood leading-man handsome. Yowza. Hot.

• Love 4

So happy to read the love here for Tape Face. He is pure comedy gold for me. He reminds me of a modern, silent version of Steve Martin. When Steve Martin first hit the scene he was very physical, emotive, and did just the stupidest things, but damn if they didn't make you laugh. Tape Face is the same for me; silly and stupid stuff but laugh out loud funny for its brilliant silliness. 

• Love 8

The best act of the night for me was the magician with the bills. What a great trick!

The mom and son dance team is just weird. I was hoping they wouldn't pass through.

Tape Face made me laugh again and again! He's top three material!

Surprise cut of the night was the red haired singer. She was the best singer yesterday!

The "I could see this a mile away award" goes to Brian Justin Crum. Here is a good singer who doesn't need the sob back story get special treatment during his performance. Did anyone notice no one was clapping like they do other singers during the climax parts of the song? It was an effect I'm sure AGT wanted to have for their favorite singer. I'm sure they told the audience not to clap during the performance but to hold it until the very end.

Yes, yes, and yes to if Brian Crum is a good singer, if the red haired girl was better, and if he made it through because he's gay.

Good for Malevo for making it through with the golden buzzer.

Until next time......

(edited)
16 hours ago, backformore said:

The red-haired girl singer was so much better than some of the singers let through on earlier episodes, she got screwed by being up against the judge's favorite singer of the night.  

No one is really "up against" the person on the stage with them during the announcements. That's just something they do for dramatic effect. If she got screwed, it's by the number of kid singers they have, including a couple that got Golden Buzzers. But while I think she was a pretty girl with a nice voice, I didn't hear anything distinctive about her. Maybe the problem for me was the song choice, which I thought was a snooze.

I liked all the judges picks, except the mother-son dance team, which I only needed to see once. Cute the first time, now boring. They got through on the  mother-son novelty, and kid cuteness factor. Judged as an actual dance act, it's pretty weak, compared to some of the dancing couples we've seen in the past..

Did we really need to hear the sob story about gay bullying yet again for Brian Crum? The first time, as a way of introducing him, was enough. And a singer being gay? Hardly earth shattering news. And as was discussed on the forum last time, it's really BS to have him say "I'm a singer who drives for a car service" and hide the fact that he's been on Broadway and has a lot of other professional credits.

I missed Tape Face in his first audition, so for me it was all new. I though he was very entertaining, and want to see what he does next. Simon nailed it in his references to Charlie Chaplin and Mr. Bean. I was thinking the same thing.

The comedian who expressed sour grapes about the judges decision? I didn't think he was funny at all. Maybe because he was opening for Amy Schumer he think he's hot stuff. But from what they showed us of his routine, it was no better than what you'd see at any comedy open mic.

I'm not usually big on the danger acts, but the guy who balanced the chain saw and put the drill down his mouth did grab me. And I think his wife is hot in a Goth kind of way.

I like the Argentinian dancers, but I caught the fact that though they appear to be drumming they're only pantomiming to a recorded track, which was obvious because their movements were out of synch to the music.  For me that took something away from the act.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

I missed Tape Face in his first audition, so for me it was all new. I though he was very entertaining, and want to see what he does next. Simon nailed it in his reference to Charlie Chaplin and Mr. Bean.

The comedian who expressed sour grapes about the judges decision? I didn't think he was funny at all. Maybe because he was opening for Amy Schumer he think he's hot stuff. But from what they showed us of his routine, it was no better than what you'd see at any comedy open mic.

He (the sour grapes comedian) would probably be embarrassed if he knew TapeFace's resume:

Spoiler

Awards

In 2001, Wills received Pulp Comedy's Best New Face Award.

In 2002, he received the Best Marketing award from the New Zealand International Comedy Festival.

In 2005, he received New Zealand's highest comedy honours, the Billy T Award for his show Dance Monkey Dance: The Evolution of Sam Wills and the "Best Show" award from the New Zealand Comedy Guild.

In 2006, he received the "Best Show" and "Best Show Concept" awards from the New Zealand Comedy Guild.

In 2007, he received the "Best Show" and "Best Show Concept" awards from the New Zealand Comedy Guild as well as the "Best Poster" and "Best Show Auckland" awards at the New Zealand International Comedy Festival.

In 2008, he received the "Peoples Choice" award at the World Buskers Festival and the Groggy Squirrel Readers Award at the Melbourne Comedy Festival. He was also nominated for the 'Best Newcomer' at the Melbourne Comedy Festival.

In 2011 he won best breakthrough act at chortle live comedy awards 2011 as 'The Boy With Tape On His Face'

He was also on the Royal Variety Performance 2011.

In 2012 he was nominated for the prestigious Fred Award in the New Zealand International Comedy Festival as 'The Boy With Tape On His Face'.

Who is Sam Wills?

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, Snark, way to spoil Simon, who told TapeFace he didn't want to know his name or anything about him. Ha ha! I do think most of these acts are professional, well-known in their own country or circle of entertainers. Nothing wrong with that. I'd rather see award-winning TapeFace than some guy from down the street break watermelons with his head.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Wow, Snark, way to spoil Simon, who told TapeFace he didn't want to know his name or anything about him. Ha ha!

Hahaha, yasss!   See, that's why I put it in spoiler tags: in case Simon reads this, it won't hurt his delicate little feelers.  :-)

• Love 3

Usually I am not taken in by the sob stories, but I really identified with Brian Crum's mom. What she said about gay bullying - how they whisper about it in elementary school and by middle and high school they are openly calling him a faggot - brought me to tears because that's exactly the way it was for my son. And he wasn't even fat. That being  said, he doesn't need to keep milking this because he's a darn good singer. I am so sick and tired of hearing "Creep" in singing competitions, but this guy made me feel like I was hearing it for the first time. He's got a good voice and he puts so much passion into what he's singing. Plus he's good looking. I hope he goes far. 

I think the red-haired female singer should have been put through over the mom-son dance team. I felt bad for her. She was much better than that Moyà Angela they put through last week. 

• Love 2

Jose and Carrie are adorable, but I'm with Heidi.

Who is Blake the magician and how come we didn't see his first audition? He was great.

Charlie and Rose are so bad that it's good. I think they're hilarious.

Charlie Placais - lol Simon just saw him on BGT.

Ryan and Amberlynn - I'm not really sure what the point of the girl is? She mostly just stands there. But the chainsaw thing was insane. I don't understand how the judges can put through an act they can't even watch though.

Sooo the show is just going to completely ignore Brian Justin Crum's Broadway career? We're supposed to pretend he's just some bullied car driver? Okay.

Eww at that one comedian saying he was baffled by the judges choosing Tape Face (and not him). Your only good joke was the one about the hoarder dumping you.

I feel like I didn't miss anything the one night the power went out and I couldn't watch AGT.

The mother-son dancers kind of ick me out. 

I thought the one girl singer was better than most regular people, but apart from that, not a great singer. With all the other singing acts they already put through, I didn't think she deserved a spot. 

I can't remember which night the "quick change dress" duo was on. But I can't believe the judges are all mesmerized by that act, and have never seen it before. I'm just a normal person who doesn't even have cable tv and I've seen it before. And more than once on more than one show.

• Love 3

A bit late to the party, but don't count me out yet. Lopez failed to leave much of a mark since the judges cut round tends to center on the acts themselves and gives less air time to the judges tomfoolery (and considering this is George Lopez, maybe thats a good thing).

Lets move on to my rankings:

7. Alla and Daniel Novikov - Frankly, after Charles and Rose I blacked out for a moment and completely forgot this act even existed...I...I think there was..dancing...and something to do with a pitbull, I can't for the life of me remember, but I know they will make for a great 11th place in a future quarter final. 

6: Daniel Joyner - If someone had told me mutton chops were the key to being cool and popular my high school years would have been COMPLETELY different. Alas, I have to live them through this guy. It might seem like I have him quite low, but he impressed the hell out of me and I've already talked how much I enjoy this type of music so I have absolitely no objections to him getting through, although his clear competition on the show is Sal, who is probably going to end up getting much further even if he arrived on stage dressed as a slice of pizza. 

5: Brian Justin Crum - It's like he was manufactured at a "Perfect Talent Show Contestant" factory, the guy is pretty much a complete package. I wasn't TOO impressed with his audition, but this was pretty magical and he shows control and vocal ability far beyond anyone else on this show, making him a CLEAR front runner and I think he's the one to beat this season. However, this always raises questions as to why he couldn't have just gone on a show like the voice instead, you can give a pass to opera singers and kids since there's really no other major show out there that accepts either group as contestants, you can even make a case for the crooners and country singers, who stay in a very narrow genre and thus have a much better chance here than on a show that requires them to change things up week after week. Brian on the other hand is pretty much a "standard" voice/idol/x factor singers capable of singing pretty much anything, so why he didn't try any of those other sh..oh..oh right...the..story...yeah, can't get QUITE as much air time how bullied you've been there, can you? Carry on then. 

4: Blake Vogt - "You are someone I will remember" said Simon, but apparently none of the producers or editors did as we NEVER EVEN SAW HIS AUDITION. Seeing Blake Vogt's name pop up had me choking on my coffee as he's a pretty big name in the magic industry so seeing him here out of the blue was a surprise as I think he's the most talented magician to have ever appeared on the show. Now, before you all go checking my drink and declaring me insane, allow me to explain. Most close-up magicians on the show like Jon Dorenbos, Derek Hughes and even Mat Franco perform slight variations of tricks that have been around for DECADES, very rarely do you actually see someone coming up with their own ones (Piff was an exception). Blake on the other hand, is someone who actually COMES UP WITH and DESIGNS tricks, not only for himself but also for BIG names in the industry like David Copperfield and David Blaine, making him a true master of the craft. HOWEVER, there's something to be said for showmanship and Blake is a very bare bones vanilla ice cream magician when performing, not as charming, funny, fast or entertaining as his competitors and that's ultimately what will let him down. I'm certainly fascinated to see how far he gets, because I know 99% of the people watching the show will never know the full extent of his skill and imagination because he simply isn't a great performer (not terrible either by any means). 

3: Ryan Stock & AmberLynn - As mentioned, you either love or hate these type of acts and I fall more towards the "love" category. I think they are one of the stronger sideshow acts we have seen on the show as they know how to mix the gross-out stuff with genuine humor and...charm. It feels odd to say that about a guy who is sticking a metal hook into his nose, but I found them both charming and likable and I look forward to the next act, despite knowing they have NO HOPE of ever making it to the semi finals. 

2: Malevo - If we could somehow extract the energy these guys are creating on stage, we would never have to worry about power failures ever again, as just 2 minutes of them dancing would be enough to power 12 000 Nike sweatshops. I'm inclined to agree about the music, but they have SO much potential and I don't say this about a lot of acts on the show, but I qould genuinely pay money to see them live. Or at least blackmail a friend to buy me a ticket. I AM getting a bit of a "Siro-A" vibe from these guys though, mostly from the fact I think they will be unceremonially cut early on and leave us all wondering why and how for years to come.

1: Tape Face - Call me a cheat, but after his audition I've been on a youtube craze just checking out his other routines to the point of exhaustion and I absolutely LOVE what he does. He's truly original and wonderful and I hope he makes it as far as possible.

The only change I would have made was add Sam Morril instead of the mom and son dancers, as they are clearly filler and Sam showed potential. It's a bit weird to see him cut this way considering how well he was received by the judges, but from seeing nearly every other one fall out so far I guess it's just NOT a good season to be a stand-up comedian this year.

• Love 1