Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Stay Close, Stick Together

• Start Topic

While Craig recovers from his wound, Baz and Craig deal with some old associates down in Mexico. Meanwhile, strapped for cash, Pope takes charge and ropes Deran and J into a job without Smurf's knowledge. Threatened by J's participation, Deran sends J a terrifying message.

Kidnapping in aisle four,  In Smurfs defense though the woman watching her grandaughter was doing a shit job of it. 

That awkward moment when your grandmother gives you sex advise.  That entire conversation was so freakin weird.   "Hey next time you get laid call me first."

I still think Pope is setting J up.  Even though he kinda liked him a bit this episode.  I

• Love 2

So, do the four brothers all have different fathers? Is that what that conversation was about?

Smurf saying that Catherine was ungrateful…her feigned reluctance to say it. I couldn't tell if that was a veiled threat or not. And I couldn't read Baz's reaction. 

Pope cuddling with Smurf didn't seem especially disturbing only because she has such a disturbing relationship with ALL her sons. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, solea said:

So, do the four brothers all have different fathers? Is that what that conversation was about?

Smurf saying that Catherine was ungrateful…her feigned reluctance to say it. I couldn't tell if that was a veiled threat or not. And I couldn't read Baz's reaction. 

Pope cuddling with Smurf didn't seem especially disturbing only because she has such a disturbing relationship with ALL her sons. 

Baz is adopted.  The other brothers I think have Different fathers  and I think Js mom does too which makes sense.  Smurf doesn't seem the type to keep a man around for long.  She would see him as compition for power.  

Catherine made some interesting insights into Smurf.  Not sure how much are true yet.  Said something about loving her granddaughter until she grew tits then seeing her as a threat.  Is that how she saw her own daughter?   Is that why the daughter was no longer around?  We have already begun to see the lengths she went to keep her sons around but not her daughter.   Before the daughter does she was gone for ten years.  That would have been unacceptable for any of the sons.

As for saying to Baz that Cathetine was ungrateful I think that was less a threat and more to get into Baz's head.  After everything you've done for her.   I like the differences between Baz's two families.  Catherine is trying to pull away from Smurf while the other woman would like nothing more then to get close.

The robbery was interesting as well.  I think this was the first time J was directly involved.  The dynamic of the brothers is interesting. I am still not sure what to make of Pope.

Edited by Chaos Theory

J was involved in the robbery of the surfers, committing the armed assault. 

J physically attacked the surfboard maker too. 

J stole the his mom's dealer's gun. 

J knowingly accepted stolen goods from Pope and Craig. (The bike had the lock still on it.) 

As we found out, J shot up his mother. 

And for what it's worth, J doing Nikki's homework is thoroughly dishonest. But he's generally a much better liar when talking to adults, who he usually lies to. Deran is unusual is noticing J is an habitual liar so quickly. 

If the series thinks J is an innocent, it's gravely mistaken.

• Love 2
(edited)

I doubt the show is trying to portray J as innocent.  However he is hardly a criminal either.  I give him a wash on stealing the dealers gun because the dealer threatened him first. And anyone who blames him for shooting up his Mom is a douche.  No teenager is going to give back a new bike or free bling that is sure to get him laid.  And he got busted on the homework and told to stop it.

Honestly Js reaction is how most teens would react or at least could react.  If he had acted all innocent the show would be over by now.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Most teens would keep the gun hidden away? If you say so. 

J's mom dying was an accident. J is not responsible for her death. Nonetheless, he had no business shooting up an addict. Moral responsibility and common sense don't wait for the eighteenth birthday. 

(edited)

Baz is adopted.  The other brothers I think have Different fathers  and I think Js mom does too which makes sense.

I think Pope said he was J's mom's twin so they must share the same father.

Smurf's suggesting to J that Baz is possibly his father was interesting. She first pushes Pope to get J on his side, now she's manipulating J to go get closer with Baz? Baz doesn't act at all like he think he could be or is J's dad.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2

There were a lot of things going on in this episode I couldn't figure out. I'm not even sure Smurf was suggesting that Baz was J's father, although that seems likely given her (seeming) desire to control J. I don't know if I'm supposed to believe Baz actually might be J's father, or if Smurf was just planting that (false) idea in his head in order to get him to come home. Surely she'd expect him to ask Baz point blank at some time. 

I also didn't get why she urged Pope to get into J's head, or whatever it was she was suggesting - getting to him before Baz did. 

So - Catherine is not Baz's wife, she's just his girlfriend? And he thinks Lena is his daughter but it's probably really Pope's? Have I got that straight? I don't get where this girl in Mexico (Lucy?) fits in - some chick on the side? Is her son supposed to be Baz's too? So complicated.

Two questions posed in the recap are ones I can answer - I don't think Smurf knew Lena was going to be in the supermarket. In fact that was the whole point - Catherine wouldn't leave Lena with Smurf, and then when Smurf saw her running around in the store she realized she wasn't even with Catherine like Catherine made it sound which is why she took her, to teach her a lesson and prove she would have been better off with her than the incompetent baby sitter.

Also, Smurf knew where to find J when he ran away because she could track his phone. We keep seeing her giving phones to her sons - she gave one to Baz in the previous episode and gave one to J in this one. That's why - she's able to track them.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Smurf's suggesting to J that Baz is possibly his father was interesting. She first pushes Pope to get J on his side, now she's manipulating J to go get closer with Baz? Baz doesn't act at all like he think he could be or is J's dad.

Considering how uncomfortably close the family is my first instinct from the first episodes is that Pope is J's father, which helps to explain the drug abuse. Or else it could just be too much Game of Thrones for me.

Then, again, I didn't realize until midway through last night's episode that there were two long-haired guys, and not just one. The family dynamic is interesting enough to keep me tuned in, though.

I am currently learning a language that my family speaks and I do not, so I did not appreciate the channel assuming I spoke Spanish and not translating for me with subtitles. If it's not cursing, or what we used to call "kitchen Spanish" the words are lost on me.

Two questions posed in the recap are ones I can answer - I don't think Smurf knew Lena was going to be in the supermarket. In fact that was the whole point - Catherine wouldn't leave Lena with Smurf, and then when Smurf saw her running around in the store she realized she wasn't even with Catherine like Catherine made it sound which is why she took her, to teach her a lesson and prove she would have been better off with her than the incompetent baby sitter.

Also, Smurf knew where to find J when he ran away because she could track his phone. We keep seeing her giving phones to her sons - she gave one to Baz in the previous episode and gave one to J in this one. That's why - she's able to track them.

Bingo. I was thinking the same things. I do agree with the recapper, though, that we should see at least one or two successful robberies just to illustrate that this family does have a track record and why they aren't all dead or in prison yet.

• Love 3

Laurie4H - I'm assuming that's his biological father but the show has yet to clarify (like so many other things). 

As for the botched robberies - I'm guessing this is a new thing, not something that has been going on for awhile. Clearly Smurf and Baz are the only competent ones planning these heists and since Pope has been in prison for the last three years, I'm assuming these recent ventures behind Smurf's back haven't occurred in the past. I think Pope is resentful of having been the only one caught and sent to jail, whereas Daren and Craig are getting tired of doing the "dirty work" while Smurf controls all the money. So I'd say they're starting to lash out in ways they haven't before.

• Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Who was the man that Baz almost shot in the head when he was in his kitchen with the safe?

I was under the impression that he was Baz's father

23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So - Catherine is not Baz's wife, she's just his girlfriend? And he thinks Lena is his daughter but it's probably really Pope's? Have I got that straight? I don't get where this girl in Mexico (Lucy?) fits in - some chick on the side? Is her son supposed to be Baz's too? So complicated.

I missed part of the episode so I don't know anything about the woman in Mexico.  But I thought the first time Pope was alone with Catherine, she told Pope something along the lines that it was a one time thing, she and Baz were fighting and she was a new mom or something like that, which would mean the hook happened after the little girl was born.  Or did I not understand the conversation correctly. 

Edited by ElleMo
(edited)
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get why that was a question for the recapper.  Smurf explicitly told J that when she found him. 

Edited by ElleMo
  • Love 1

I have a better feeling about the show after this episode.   I like that they're starting to connect the dots on the family.   I guess Daren paid the rent for the guy that he beat up in the bathroom stall.   I liked the scene between Baz and Jay the best.   I thought Jay was going to beat up his Uncle Daren at several points.   I liked Pope saying that he delivered Daren.  I wonder what the age difference is supposed to be.  They can kill off Craig any time now.  He's a waste of space to me.  

(edited)

But I thought the first time Pope was alone with Catherine, she told Pope something along the lines that it was a one time thing, she and Baz were fighting and she was a new mom or something like that, which would mean the hook happened after the little girl was born.  Or did I not understand the conversation correctly. 

Yes, that's how that conversation went down. But Pope was talking to that other ex-con (when he was cleaning the fish) it became apparent the ex-con was under the impression Catherine was his wife and Lena was his daughter. Plus he brought that creepy clown toy for Lena in the last episode. So I guess he was telling his fellow inmate in prison he had a wife and kid at home and was talking about Catherine and Lena. Obviously the wife part is untrue but I'm wondering about the daughter part. Maybe he's just trying to make them his family.

They can kill off Craig any time now.  He's a waste of space to me.  

Noo! {shallow resonse} He's the cutest.

Edited by iMonrey
responding to new post
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ElleMo said:

I was under the impression that he was Baz's father

I missed part of the episode so I don't know anything about the woman in Mexico.  But I thought the first time Pope was alone with Catherine, she told Pope something along the lines that it was a one time thing, she and Baz were fighting and she was a new mom or something like that, which would mean the hook happened after the little girl was born.  Or did I not understand the conversation correctly. 

No. You are right. She did make reference to her just having a baby before the hook up.

• Love 1

What I would like to know is how Julia planned on keeping J away from them when they live in the same town.( Even though it worked.)He didn't even have to change schools and we dont see him complaining about riding his bike to far.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jay likes to ride his bike, and I predict there will be many more scenes of him racing around on his bike.  They stole a different bike for him, and made him leave the other one behind, but the "new" bike looks identical to the other one to me. 

From this episode it looks like the actor playing Nicki's father will be in a role similar to Guy Pearce in the movie, but he's not credited on IMDB.  Although he looks very familiar, I have no idea of his name. 

It's funny that Jay knows how to inject someone with heroin.  I hope he never does it again. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, atomationage said:

From this episode it looks like the actor playing Nicki's father will be in a role similar to Guy Pearce in the movie, but he's not credited on IMDB.  Although he looks very familiar, I have no idea of his name. 

I think it was C. Thomas Howell, but I could be wrong?

ETA: - yep, that's him!

Howell will appear in a recurring guest-starring role as Paul Belmont, a Navy lieutenant commander at Camp Pendleton, and the father of Josh’s girlfriend, Nicky (Molly Gordon). He wants to be a strong and positive influence in her life, but despite his attempts, she’s drawn deeper into the Codys’ world.

• Love 2

What I would like to know is how Julia planned on keeping J away from them when they live in the same town.

It's also clear that J knew - to some extent - exactly what his grandmother and uncles were into, crime-wise, since that neighbor lady showed up at the funeral and told him he shouldn't even be standing next to them after all his mother went through to keep him away from them. Up until that point it seemed as though he didn't really know they were a "crime family."

• Love 1

They are really bringing the sexy scenes. Last week with Craig and this week with Baz. I'm being super shallow but yum. 

I get the idea that Catherine liked Pope back in the day (Smurf said that she followed him around as kids) Maybe he wasn't interested at the time so she went after Baz and they got together and that's when Pope changed his mind and became interested. Then she had a child with Baz. Maybe Pope just see that as "that should be my child and my girlfriend" which is why he's coming at her with money and dolls. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm still not sure J isn't a 21 Jump Street type-albeit not a very good one. He seems to have fallen into the gangster ways a little too easily, I think.

Pope definitely doesn't buy into "honor among thieves". How is that not going to blow back on him once his old buddy who tipped him off on the safe finds out he went ahead and stole it?

Heh, Smurf looked right into the store's security camera as she was kidnapping her granddaughter. She knew Catherine would see the video eventually and was all, "Who gon check me, boo?"

I'm confused. Is Lena Pope's kid or Baz'? Meanwhile, wonder why Smurf led J to believe that Baz is his father? Other than being her regular manipulative self, that is. This woman must've studied at the feet of Machiavelli. (And I'm in agreement with comments upthread and wondering whether Pope is J's father.)

Not necessarily. There have been fraternal twins who have different fathers because the mother was sleeping with at least two men within a short time frame and had two eggs get fertilized. Many soap opera plots have come from that bizarre biological possibility.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
On 6/23/2016 at 10:05 PM, MaggieG said:

They are really bringing the sexy scenes. Last week with Craig and this week with Baz. I'm being super shallow but yum. 

I second this emotion:  Craig was getting it on with Ren last week.  This week's feature was Baz with his new lady.  Baz (Scott Speedman) can film a scene like this every day as far as I'm concerned.  Twice on Sunday, please.  Yowza.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/22/2016 at 1:32 PM, NorthstarATL said:

Considering how uncomfortably close the family is my first instinct from the first episodes is that Pope is J's father, which helps to explain the drug abuse. Or else it could just be too much Game of Thrones for me.

I had the same thought.

Disappointed that Baz is cheating on his girlfriend. I also thought she was his wife, at first. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1