Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Part 18

Danny's old partner in crime in Miami is determined to make the Rayburns pay. Investor Roy Gilbert agrees to fund John's campaign, on one condition.

Love seeing Beau Bridges!  This show does need another thread besides Danny, so maybe this election will be it. I'm kinda getting tired of the Danny thing...maybe because I've watched six eps in two days.  Yikes.

BTW, the whole family needs an intervention with Jeff or Candy. Stat.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, knaankos said:

What the heck is the deal with the shower?

THANK YOU!!! The biggest mystery may be what the hell is wrong with Bungalow Three????

So I guess we missed the scenes when Meg explained to her brothers that this whole mess (coupled with her immaturity, poor decision making and basic irresponsibility) led to her firing. Or perhaps she's led them to believe that she willingly quit the job and NY life, which she claimed to love. And I guess my issue with that is that it appears to have made absolutely no impact whatsoever on her brothers. Instead John hits her up to be the campaign manager (which, what happened to the woman he was having lunch with - wasn't she supposed to do that? Why Meg? So she can get even more enmeshed in this mess he's creating?). Kevin sees his "rehab" as a "court thing," so no surprise that he's hiding bottles. FFS, he's about to be a father, something we're supposed to believe he's been pining for, and he doesn't appear to be at all interested in attempting to sober up. Anyway, I'm not much of a Meg fan, but her brothers are pretty cavalier about her job less. Sucks for her, I guess, but it's good for them. What a bunch of tools.

Boy, I really hate Sally and I'm not quite getting her deal. Is she cracking up, somehow? Am I supposed to feel bad for her? I wanted to slap her when Belle was trying to explain that Kevin had a substance abuse problem and Sally was all "well, you know, he's had a lot of loss and a hard time lately." I guess that's the hallmark of a woman who's lived her life in denial. (So is wishing away the grandson and his mother and any claim they may have to the will).

John has really talked himself into running for sheriff. I hope he gets his ass whipped. I don't understand the logic of how running and winning will allow him to "control" things better. It may allow him to cover up evidence, but I have to believe that would eventually come to light.

Finally, every time I hear about the "good Rayburn name" and how they've been "part of the local fabric for 50 years" I kind of snort. From what I gather, Pa Rayburn was abusive and a real son of a bitch, Kevin is a loser of a business man who doesn't make payroll, Meg is a local lawyer who fucked around on her fiancee, Danny was a lowlife drug dealer and John is the stand-up guy in the bunch because he's a cop. And they're all borderline drunks (because do any of them go a day without a drink? I'm not a prude and I sure enjoy a good beverage, but seriously, they ALL drink a lot). And of course, there's the water problem in Bungalow Three. Is the town in that bad a shape that this is what passes for a high standard down there? And 50 years as part of any community seems like it's pretty average to me - move there, raise your kids, spend your life - provided you don't move around, it's not too hard for a family to put down roots anywhere for 50 years.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Maysie said:

Boy, I really hate Sally and I'm not quite getting her deal. Is she cracking up, somehow

I really dislike her.  The Bungalow 3 thing is going to bug me more than all the others stuff !

• Love 3

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the Bungalow 3 stuff.  For a second, I thought it was going to be that Sally was forgetting things and never actually called about it, but it sounds more like it was all about her leading to some kind of breakdown?  Odd.  And I guess it's a good thing in some ways that she is just as delusional about Kevin's problems, as she was about Danny's.  No favoritism here!  All of her family can do no wrong!  Except John, I guess.

Never thought I'd say this, but you probably should have listened to Meg, John.  I can't see how this won't blow up in your face.  That tape has to surface as some point.  And then Marco continues to dig in, along with Ozzy putting the idea into O'Bannion's head.

Beau Bridges!

I can only imagine what horrors will arise with Kevin and Nolan together.

It was kind of sad seeing Danny clearly enjoy being a chef and bonding with his son, only for it to all fall apart.

This show is usually pretty tame in nudity department (language on the other hand...), so that extensive nude scene with Ozzy and Eve was kind of surprising.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:02 PM, thuganomics85 said:

This show is usually pretty tame in nudity department (language on the other hand...), so that extensive nude scene with Ozzy and Eve was kind of surprising

And creepy ..

• Love 5

I thought it was suspenseful and well-acted. Eve is interesting, a deep character. Ozzy is scummy and here to cause problems. Didn't know how that was going to end. Glad these actors are here, and along with Aguirre they are a benefit to this season. 

• Love 1

The opening scene was very compelling- showing so many sides, histories, and emotions. It was unusual (along with the nudity) that it pulled me in to the tension and the subtle and not so subtle messages between to the characters and how they relate to the entire show.

Meanwhile, Eve's wig is driving me nuts. It's like Claire in Lost and I just want grab it off her head and clean it. I hope she pulls a Kimberly, because I see no reasoning behind such a horrible mess of hair. It's not like they are in Bungalow 3- she can shower, condition and find some scissors. Surely she used some Rayburn $ on a hairbrush.

• Love 3

Lol, Bungalow 3 needs to be in the credits. But I don't think it's any more than a symbol of Sally falling apart and losing track, which is pretty understandable under the circumstances. 

But yeah, she was cold to Eve and it sounded like she'd told her to get an abortion back in the day. Still, $60k off the books per year is more than enough to live in Miami without constantly being on the run from bill collectors. 

Thanks for pointing out Meg's boss was from Frazier! It was driving me crazy trying to figure out where I knew her from. 

As far as the vaunted Rayburn name, I think the show strains believability with that. But I will say that the Keys are akin to a very small town, and also have a high transient population. So family roots do count for something. 

Still, I have no idea how Danny having a child would ruin their freaking name, come on. 

Lots o' Leguizamo butt to open the episode, lol. 

(edited)
17 minutes ago, missy jo said:

But yeah, she was cold to Eve and it sounded like she'd told her to get an abortion back in the day. Still, $60k off the books per year is more than enough to live in Miami without constantly being on the run from bill collectors. 

I know, right? I support a family of four on less than that, without any shady dealings.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, missy jo said:

Thanks for pointing out Meg's boss was from Frazier! It was driving me crazy trying to figure out where I knew her from. 

I also recognized  Aguirre as a cop in Dexter. Semes like pretty much the same character, too...

On 7/7/2016 at 11:56 PM, clanstarling said:

I know, right? I support a family of four on less than that, without any shady dealings.

Presumably, your money doesn't go up your nose. Wouldn't be hard to party away a vast majority of that.  I don't blame Sally for refusing to pay -- it obviously wasn't child support - it was blackmail.  I guess Papa Rayburn was paying Eve to keep her out of their lives, but I also have trouble believing that it was due to the family's "reputation." Who cares that a grown man had an out-of-wedlock baby? 

On 6/1/2016 at 4:33 PM, Maysie said:

So I guess we missed the scenes when Meg explained to her brothers that this whole mess (coupled with her immaturity, poor decision making and basic irresponsibility) led to her firing. Or perhaps she's led them to believe that she willingly quit the job and NY life, which she claimed to love. And I guess my issue with that is that it appears to have made absolutely no impact whatsoever on her brothers. Instead John hits her up to be the campaign manager (which, what happened to the woman he was having lunch with - wasn't she supposed to do that? Why Meg? So she can get even more enmeshed in this mess he's creating?). Kevin sees his "rehab" as a "court thing," so no surprise that he's hiding bottles. FFS, he's about to be a father, something we're supposed to believe he's been pining for, and he doesn't appear to be at all interested in attempting to sober up. Anyway, I'm not much of a Meg fan, but her brothers are pretty cavalier about her job less. Sucks for her, I guess, but it's good for them. What a bunch of tools.

I read it as: she wanted Kevin to think she gave something up to help him. Bonus that she doesn't have to admit being fired.

44 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

Presumably, your money doesn't go up your nose. Wouldn't be hard to party away a vast majority of that.  I don't blame Sally for refusing to pay -- it obviously wasn't child support - it was blackmail.  I guess Papa Rayburn was paying Eve to keep her out of their lives, but I also have trouble believing that it was due to the family's "reputation." Who cares that a grown man had an out-of-wedlock baby? 

Well, no, it doesn't. But if it does, you lose any right to be snippy about being cut off, or claiming it's for your son's future. But then again, this show isn't about people who make good choices.

• Love 2
(edited)

Bungalow 3 though! That dude was so rude about it, stomping away and then Sally gets there and the water's on? Come on. I was like, maybe there is some drugs in the water pipes at Bungalow 3 or a dead body of some kind but it kind of just seems like Sally's losing it and the inn's customers need to get a grip. There's def outdoor showers at that place, live a little, it's like 100 degrees.

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 3
(edited)
43 minutes ago, rippleintime17 said:

Bungalow 3 though! That dude was so rude about it, stomping away and then Sally gets there and the water's on? Come on. I was like, maybe there is some drugs in the water pipes at Bungalow 3 or a dead body of some kind but it kind of just seems like Sally's losing it and the inn's customers need to get a grip. There's def outdoor showers at that place, live a little, it's like 100 degrees.

I thought the guy had been bugging her awhile, and she'd been unresponsive. Which, if I were paying for a bungalow, I'd be pretty ticked about. I thought I remembered Sally turning the water on, but I'm not sure about that.

In any case, I sure expected there to be something relevant to the story line clogging the pipes of the shower. Maybe next season...

Breaking down in the shower, though, I'll give her a  pass for that. Been there done that in times of great stress.

As for outdoor showers - for me, especially in 100 degree weather (with that humidity), and sandy beaches, I'd want a private shower where I could get water and soap on all my bits and bobs.

Edited by Clanstarling

I know John & Co. don't know where the Lowry/Danny tape is, but do we?  Have we seen what happened to it?

I think Sally is losing it as a result of the stress load, but maybe also starting stages of dementia? 

Re. the "good Rayburn name"...I think the remaining Rayburns think higher of themselves and their reputation than the rest of Florida does. Maybe it would have been a minor scandal 15-16 years ago, but the island knows Danny was a bad seed (and he's dead). I don't get why just coming clean now about Danny's kid would be so detrimental to the family name.  So what, the "black sheep" of the Rayburns had a kid?  If you openly accept him into the family and announce who he is, then his mom can't blackmail you anymore.  I would think that savings of $50k/year would be well worth any scuttlebutt or gossip that happens. Take the power out of Eve's hands.  And if she threatens to blab that Sally suggested an abortion or that Daddy Rayburn paid her off to stay quiet, again, so what?  Not that it's anyone's business but they can explain why they did what they did very easily and honestly.

As much as I love Kyle Chandler, it's getting harder for me to like "John" because he keeps trying to wrangle & cover for his stupid family.  What are they going to do, kill all the people who are the fringe of the Danny situation?  Ozzy, Eve, O'Bannon??  Then you will probably need to kill Nolan b/c Danny or Ozzy may have spilled beans.  Then Kevin because his drinking/drugging is risky and potential for "sharing" at AA could be a problem.  Maybe Meg too because she's been hitting the bottle hard.  That's an awful lot of bodies for one cop to hide.

• Love 3

I also think the drama with Bungalow 3 was to demonstrate that Sally is letting her responsibilities slide, especially since the plumber pointed out to her that she'd never called him the first time it was a problem.  I think they're showing us this in a few other ways too, such as Sally walking out onto the pier in her nightie (with a SCARF?  What was that about?), zoning while staring out the window, and appearing not to follow what anyone is saying to her.

I like the relationship, if you can call it that, between Kevin and Nolan so far.  Kevin is going to call Nolan out on his shit, it appears, and vice versa.  But what I don't know is...where is Kevin getting the money to pay Nolan?  He couldn't pay his former employees, right?

• Love 1
On 5/30/2016 at 6:41 PM, Mama No Life said:

BTW, the whole family needs an intervention with Jeff or Candy. Stat.

Rayburns, I see a whole buncha viewers here who love ya like crazy, but they feel like they're losing you, and they wanna fight to get you back. This post is our way of inviting you to join the fight.

On 7/11/2016 at 0:54 PM, MamaMax said:

I guess Papa Rayburn was paying Eve to keep her out of their lives,

What I don't understand is what Eve expects money for now.  Nolan is IN their lives, out of hiding, and is practically an adult.  They have no reason to pay her off.  Like someone said, what's she got on them?  Her word that Sally asked her to have an abortion 17 years ago?  Who gives a shit.  That Papa Rayburn paid her?  Seems charitable of him to me.